PDA

View Full Version : Rockets want Rondo

Stunner
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
2:25pm: The Rockets have “absolute interest” in trading for Rajon Rondo, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.com. That alone doesn’t make a deal happen, Stein cautions, but he notes that talks could easily strike up between Rockets GM Daryl Morey and his former boss, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge (Twitter link). The Rockets were also linked to Rondo last month.

The asking price for Rondo is astronomical, as the team appears to be looking for a pair of unprotected first-round picks virtually guaranteed to come near the top of the order. A source tells Stein that Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck is behind the team’s lofty demands, as the ESPN scribe noted in a piece earlier today.

The Celtics would insist on acquiring Chandler Parsons, but Houston doesn’t appear willing to give him up, Stein tweets. Still, the Rockets are making renewed attempts at trading Omer Asik, and Boston was involved in rumors when Morey made efforts to unload his backup center in December. The notion of Asik getting involved in any Rondo talks is just my speculation, however.

mightybosstone
02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
The Rockets don't want Rondo as badly as the Celtics do, especially if Parsons is a must in any trade. I wouldn't trade Chandler Parsons straight up for Rondo right now. Parsons is a far better fit in Houston, and I'd argue that he's just a better basketball player overall. The Celtics would be lucky to get Lin and a couple of first rounders for him right now.

Plus, I just don't like Rondo as a fit for this starting lineup. He can't hit a jumper, he can't hit a free throw and he would take the ball out of Harden and Howard's hands far too often. He literally epitomizes the exact opposite of what Morey looks for in players, and I'd put the chances he gets dealt to Houston at less than 5 percent.

SPURSFAN1
02-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Rondo to the houston kills the team chemistry. fake stories.

John Walls Era
02-19-2014, 06:36 PM
lol thats a bad fit.

bloomis1307
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Taking the ball out of Howard's hands isn't a bad thing so long as he is still getting set up.....Lin isn't a great shooter either so its not like you'd be losing in that department. Not hitting a FT isn't that big of a detriment so long as you have Harden to go to in crunchtime (worked fine with Pierce). I'm a Celtics fan and I think it would be dumb for you to get rid of Parsons, but I do think Rondo would fit with your team. Whats your cap situation? Will you be able to afford Parsons when he becomes a RFA?

valade16
02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
The Rockets don't want Rondo as badly as the Celtics do, especially if Parsons is a must in any trade. I wouldn't trade Chandler Parsons straight up for Rondo right now. Parsons is a far better fit in Houston, and I'd argue that he's just a better basketball player overall. The Celtics would be lucky to get Lin and a couple of first rounders for him right now.

Plus, I just don't like Rondo as a fit for this starting lineup. He can't hit a jumper, he can't hit a free throw and he would take the ball out of Harden and Howard's hands far too often. He literally epitomizes the exact opposite of what Morey looks for in players, and I'd put the chances he gets dealt to Houston at less than 5 percent.

This is troubling as well because at the end of a close game you would have 2/5 starting players who are dreadful at FTs.

bagwell368
02-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Rondo is a poor fit for the Rockets. In fact he's not needed or a poor fit for most teams w/ serious title aspirations. Supposedly he has refused to sign an extension with the Kings.

He's worth far less than he was in 2008-2010. Some Celts fans are stuck on the two unprotected and a good young player routine. He probably just finishes next year expecting to see a 5 year/$75M deal. Celts fans and Rondo are both going to be surprised at how much he'll be dealt for (if dealt) and how little he'll sign for, and how little of that he'll earn. He's a dog.

Hawkeye15
02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Rondo doesn't match up with a Morey guy, who is an advanced stats guy. Not sure the Rox interest is anything further than initial phone calls/inquiries.

king4day
02-19-2014, 06:55 PM

I agree about your Parsons comments but regarding the bold, would it be necessary with the supporting cast around him? Or would he and Howards lack of shooting be too much of a problem?

BKLYNpigeon
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
I wouldnt touch Rondo until I see him play a few games on that surgically repaired ACL. If you really want him I would wait until the summer. Boston and Ainge knows this and they want to get max value for him.

king4day
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Rondo doesn't match up with a Morey guy, who is an advanced stats guy. Not sure the Rox interest is anything further than initial phone calls/inquiries.

They probably want to trade Asik, Lin, and a couple firsts for Rondo, Bass, and a bad contract. That'd be my guess as to the offer Houston made. Because to me, that's a deal Houston has to make.

I bet if Houston was willing to take Wallace from them, the C's would at least listen to offers that don't include Parsons

BoSox47
02-19-2014, 06:58 PM
I swear people make threads over every rumor. Theres reason why there is a thread that is for the trade deadline in the nba forum and it has literally been discussing this a decent amount. Whats the point of making a new thread for it?

Edit: heres the link to the trade deadline forum

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?855121-Official-Trade-Deadline-Speculation-Thread

Hawkeye15
02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
They probably want to trade Asik, Lin, and a couple firsts for Rondo, Bass, and a bad contract. That'd be my guess as to the offer Houston made. Because to me, that's a deal Houston has to make.

I bet if Houston was willing to take Wallace from them, the C's would at least listen to offers that don't include Parsons

Rondo just doesn't fit the Rockets style of play. He can't shoot a lick, adds another poor FT shooter to the mix, and is a ball dominator. I don't get why the Rox would want any part of him personally. But then again, I have made it well known that I think Rondo is one of the most overrated players in the game.

king4day
02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
I swear people make threads over every rumor. Theres reason why there is a thread that is for the trade deadline in the nba forum and it has literally been discussing this a decent amount. Whats the point of making a new thread for it?

I actually took issue with the opposite in the Yankees forum.
I won't view the trade thread forum because it's just too much. I like going into these and talking about the rumor and the good and the bad of the deal. It keeps things clean. When it dies down, we move on.

king4day
02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Rondo just doesn't fit the Rockets style of play. He can't shoot a lick, adds another poor FT shooter to the mix, and is a ball dominator. I don't get why the Rox would want any part of him personally. But then again, I have made it well known that I think Rondo is one of the most overrated players in the game.

Probably because they feel they're so close to contending for a title (if they aren't already). Sometimes the 'name' outweighs what you're actually getting

Hawkeye15
02-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Probably because they feel they're so close to contending for a title (if they aren't already). Sometimes the 'name' outweighs what you're actually getting

like I said, Rondo doesn't feel like a Morey type player to me. Morey likes floor spacers and guys who can get to the line. Rondo can't space the floor, and you don't want him at the line.

BoSox47
02-19-2014, 07:31 PM
I actually took issue with the opposite in the Yankees forum.
I won't view the trade thread forum because it's just too much. I like going into these and talking about the rumor and the good and the bad of the deal. It keeps things clean. When it dies down, we move on.

no need to bounce around looking for random threads to read every rumor thrown out there.

Especially when the same exact thing is being said in both forums.

shep33
02-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Bad fit

amos1er
02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Rondo to the houston kills the team chemistry. fake stories.

For once, I actually agree with your assessment. Rondo would be a horrible fit on Houston.

rhino17
02-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Rockets insider CyberX Has reported it's gone a lot further than just initial talks. According to him they've been speaking for a few days now.

Stunner
02-19-2014, 08:50 PM
no need to bounce around looking for random threads to read every rumor thrown out there.

Especially when the same exact thing is being said in both forums.

People don't like looking at multiple diff convos at one time in a big thread especially if it doesn't interest them . If the thread is a problem it will be taken down thread police .

Stunner
02-19-2014, 08:50 PM
But yea this is a bad fit smh

mightybosstone
02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Rockets insider CyberX Has reported it's gone a lot further than just initial talks. According to him they've been speaking for a few days now.

Talking means very little, especially between Morey and Ainge. If the Celtics' asking price that's been tossed around by the media today is true, there is absolutely zero chance that deal gets made. Unless the Celtics are willing to take Parsons out of the discussion, there isn't a chance in hell Rondo ends up a Rocket tomorrow.

Lakers + Giants
02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
I do believe rockets need 1 more great player to be a true contender like OKC, IND, MIA. Although Rondo a great player, he is not one of those players that will take the rockets to the next level.

Stunner
02-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Of the Rockets get Rondo and Bass though and it somehow works out they win this deal big time

mightybosstone
02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
I do believe rockets need 1 more great player to be a true contender like OKC, IND, MIA. Although Rondo a great player, he is not one of those players that will take the rockets to the next level.

Mmm.... I disagree. I think they just need to beef up their bench and add 1-2 quality guys to their rotation. They already have the fifth best record in the league, and this core is incredibly young. If they're not considered legitimate contenders this season, they certainly will be by next year once this group has a year together under its belt and guys like Parsons and Jones are a year more developed.

rhino17
02-19-2014, 09:01 PM
CyberX reporting that harden and howard are against this trade and telling morey as such

Kashmir13579
02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
I hope the Celtics dont' ask for Lin. I couldn't handle him playing for Boston, i just couldn't.

BoSox47
02-19-2014, 09:06 PM
People don't like looking at multiple diff convos at one time in a big thread especially if it doesn't interest them . If the thread is a problem it will be taken down thread police .

So youd rather fish around 10 different threads having to exit each thread and go into another each time a rumor shows up as opposed to one thread that has each rumor being updated as they are presented?

Calling me thread police, wrestling sig, and cant follow multiple convos because one or two comments off topic might get put in between a discussion. You're either 12 or an illiterate southerner.

BoSox47
02-19-2014, 09:13 PM
I hope the Celtics dont' ask for Lin. I couldn't handle him playing for Boston, i just couldn't.

If we trade rondo to houston and dont get parsons i could care less if we get lin. If we get lin and send rondo back we better be getting 2 firsts out of it especially since those firsts will be late round firsts.

Lin will only help boston tank next season.

Seriously doubt rond gets traded though at least not until after the season/around draft time if he does.

hugepatsfan
02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Rondo's not a good fit in Houston and they don't even match up well with BOS in a trade.

lol, please
02-19-2014, 09:17 PM
No one they can add will make a difference, they will never get past the Warriors in the playoffs.

Stunner
02-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Lin would be nice in Boston as the lead guard , he gets way too much flack .

lol, please
02-19-2014, 09:21 PM

So youd rather fish around 10 different threads having to exit each thread and go into another each time a rumor shows up as opposed to one thread that has each rumor being updated as they are presented?

Calling me thread police, wrestling sig, and cant follow multiple convos because one or two comments off topic might get put in between a discussion. Your either 12 or an illiterate southerner.why not an illiterate westerner, or easterner? :shrug:

Bruno
02-19-2014, 09:26 PM
rondo doesn't fit in houston, some 'insider' affiliated with the Celtics must be looking for leverage in another deal.

NBA_Starter
02-19-2014, 09:39 PM
I just can't see these teams matching up well as trading partners at all.

BoSox47
02-19-2014, 09:47 PM
why not an illiterate westerner, or easterner? :shrug:

you're right i shouldn't disrespect just the south like that, there are illiterate people everywhere.

bagwell368
02-19-2014, 11:00 PM
I just can't see these teams matching up well as trading partners at all.

It would have to be a three way. Maybe the Suns or Pistons get involved. But my bet is that it's more like Bass and/or Green that go, and no Rondo.

Of all the deals on PSD discussed in the last 72 hours - maybe 1-2% will be done (and that's by count, not the actual deals that get done).

C's could take Amare and Bargs and hand back a big pile of expirings and Rondo to make Carmelo happy. I'm all for it if 3 1sts come over - say '19, '21, '23.

Htownballa1622
02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
No one they can add will make a difference, they will never get past the Warriors in the playoffs.

:laugh2:

Anyways. I've said it and i'll say it again.

I do NOT want Rondo. ESPECIALLY if we have to give up Parsons.

Kashmir13579
02-19-2014, 11:46 PM
If we trade rondo to houston and dont get parsons i could care less if we get lin. If we get lin and send rondo back we better be getting 2 firsts out of it especially since those firsts will be late round firsts.

Lin will only help boston tank next season.

Seriously doubt rond gets traded though at least not until after the season/around draft time if he does.
Nah.. Its just that Lin is one of my favorite players, and i do not like the Celtics. However, i like them a little bit more now because of two reasons:

A) I'm a Pressey fan
B) Pierce and KG are gone

KnicksorBust
02-19-2014, 11:50 PM
I believe the Rox can get to the Finals with the team they already have.