PDA

View Full Version : Has Blake Griffin's improvement this season been a shocker?

FlashBolt
02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Honestly, I can't say it enough. He should win Most Improved Player. It's amazing how much he has progressed and I think it's finally time that people recognize him as an elite player and possibly the best PF at this very moment. I might take Anthony Davis and Kevin Love over him if I were building a team but it's undeniable that he's the better player this year. What are your thoughts on him this year?

TrueFan420
02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Has his post play really improved that much? And can he play better defense?

Clippersfan86
02-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Has his post play really improved that much? And can he play better defense?

Yes and yes. He's showing awesome post game this year compared to years passed. His defense is his biggest weakness still but it gets more solid every year. He's a great PNR defender and 1 on 1 post defender for the most part. He's a TERRIBLE help defender and rim defender though. I don't expect shotblocking but I do expect him to rotate over and take more charges, or just be quicker.

Bolt you bring up an interesting point. A week ago I saw an article on CBSsports saying that Blake deserves most improved player, even over his teammate DJ, Stephenson and others because of the leap he's taken. Also we've had our battles on me being a homer over Blake so you know I'm not shocked about his improvement ;).

Chronz
02-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Kid came in with a relentless motor and insane drive to improve on top of being an athletic marvel. I compared him to a hybrid Chuck/Malone combo day 1 so needless to say, hes still got some work to do.

IKnowHoops
02-19-2014, 03:25 PM
More of a when and not if with Blake. Anyone with eyes could see he was given more ability than most. All he really had to do was decide he wanted to be the best. This year he has done that and you can tell by how much more aggressive he is. Now the only guys better than him are Durant and Bron and Blake has all the God given ability to close that gap too. He may not ever be better than either of them because they are also blessed with some of those freakish things that separate you from everyone else, but it should have always been those three in the convo for best player and from here on out, it will be those three and everyone else IMO.

Clippersfan86
02-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Kid came in with a relentless motor and insane drive to improve on top of being an athletic marvel. I compared him to a hybrid Chuck/Malone combo day 1 so needless to say, hes still got some work to do.

Yea... you definitely have had Blake's back too from day one pretty much. The hands down biggest change in Blake is his mentality, which I give Doc a lot of credit for. Blake had to have it beaten into his head that nobody can guard him when he attacks relentlessly. Like Steve Smith said during ASW... he's not seeing a Blake who pauses anymore.. but one who just reacts and takes what the game gives him.

What pissed me off so much was the huge group of people here that DESPITE that motor/drive you mention... said he was "declining" and "tapped out" potential wise. How the **** is a 24 year old, 3 year vet... who works that hard done? Leethal in that thread said he will be shocked if Blake surpasses 18/10 this year.

NYCkid12
02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
couldn't agree more .....guy has been a monster this year and even that 10-15 footer has improved

Slug3
02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I think the problem is that not too many people watch the Clippers play, then when they see highlights it's just of his dunks and they never really see the other good plays he makes in games.

Clippersfan86
02-19-2014, 07:59 PM
http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2013/03/22/the-hatred-and-bitterness-behind-two-of-the-worlds-most-popular-brands/

Another masterpiece by Maxamillion. New Griffin mix today. Lots of non dunk plays.

airforceones25
02-19-2014, 08:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YqA2Y-aN3w

SPURSFAN1
02-19-2014, 08:09 PM
He needs to stop crying for a foul every single play though.

Kyben36
02-19-2014, 08:30 PM
jump shot has really improved, he has gotten better, still dont like his post game though, not very technicaly sound in trms of footwork or moves, takes some really bad off balance shots.

Ebbs
02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
No people on this site labelled him as a one trick pony too soon.

Clippersfan86
02-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks Air.

seikou8
02-20-2014, 12:09 AM
I think the problem is that not too many people watch the Clippers play, then when they see highlights it's just of his dunks and they never really see the other good plays he makes in games.

THIS he is the second best pf in the game

koreancabbage
02-20-2014, 12:23 AM
no, i expected him to improve and be that player he's supposed to be with all that talent.

goingfor28
02-20-2014, 12:48 AM
hes taken huge strides this year. especially after cp got hurt. but i still think he has a lot more room to get even better. but he is looking damn good this season.

and to those who say he only dunks :shush:

IKnowHoops
02-20-2014, 04:38 AM
I'll take a guy who dunks a lot over a guy that never dunks.

Swashcuff
02-20-2014, 07:31 AM
With a work ethic like Blake's it would shock me more if he didn't improve his game. I expected to see this from him maybe even a bit sooner.

Clippersfan86
02-21-2014, 02:29 PM
With a work ethic like Blake's it would shock me more if he didn't improve his game. I expected to see this from him maybe even a bit sooner.

As I told Hawkeye in another thread.. this was Blake's only summer of his career to work on his game so much. Two summers he was injured, the other was the lockout, where all players were hurt development wise. Not being able to see or talk to coaches or any league officials. Sure he worked his *** off probably but it wasn't specific like this year. Doc and the coaching staff told Blake to focus specifically on face up, post moves, FT and defense.. and he improved all of them.