PDA

View Full Version : Mount Dunkmore: Who's on yours?

JasonJohnHorn
02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Who do you have as your top dunkers all time?

I got Dr. J, MJ, 'Nique and Vince Carter.

ThaDubs
02-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Darryl, Dominique, Vince, and Blake Griffin (bring the hate)

black1605
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM

There are others in the discussion, but this is the correct answer.

poleandreel
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
I know we have an absurd amount of conservative people on this board + people hate change and love to reminisce...but Blake Griffin is a better dunker than all of them except Vince.

D-Leethal
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
I think think Dr J and MJ are redundant, Nique and Vince are redundant, and Dawkins MUST be in there for big man power dunkers. There is no Blake/Amare types without Dawkins first and foremost. Dr J and MJ were finesse dunkers for the most part and probably the two best ever at it, Vince and Nique were power dunkers.

I would go Dr J, Nique, Vince, Dawkins. MJ has his own Mt. Rushmore already.

king4day
02-19-2014, 01:08 PM
I'd put Amar'es prime on par with Blake's Prime. He made a lot of defenders look bad.

D-Leethal
02-19-2014, 01:11 PM
I'd put Amar'es prime on par with Blake's Prime. He made a lot of defenders look bad.

The majority of Blakes dunks are wide open or alley oops. Amare used to take the pass off the bounce and dunk whoever was in front of him through the rim. Its easier to oop it over someone - ask anyone who has ever dunked before and its easier to catch a well placed alley oop and dunk it than it is to bring it up from the ground and dunk it - that gets multiplied when your talking about dunking OVER someone.

Are there really any ridiculous POSTERS out there from Blake (where he actually dunks the ball and touches the rim)? Amare has hours of them on youtube.

ZHawk1123
02-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Julius Erving, Dominique Wilkins, Michael Jordan, and Vince Carter.

umh34
02-19-2014, 01:20 PM
MJ, Dominique, VC, Dr. J

-Shawn Kemp
-Jason Richardson

koreancabbage
02-19-2014, 01:22 PM

I'd go Kemp, Nique, Jordan, Carter

LeGacy is Music
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
KEMP, VINCE, STEVE FRANCIS, BLAKE. The people would blatenly PUT BALLS on PEOPLES head all jokes A side.

ricky recon
02-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Vince Carter, Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Shawn Kemp

DallasTrilla23
02-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Easily Dr. J, Jordan, Wilkins and Carter. I want to put Darryl Dawkins in there but I can't take any of the other guys off

Ebbs
02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Mine is different.

Carter #1. than Griffin, Shaq, and McGrady.

Bias for the guys I watched in their primes, not just in highlights and hardwood classics. Also Shaq destroying backboards is too tight. Was so exciting back in the day.

king4day
02-19-2014, 02:17 PM
The majority of Blakes dunks are wide open or alley oops. Amare used to take the pass off the bounce and dunk whoever was in front of him through the rim. Its easier to oop it over someone - ask anyone who has ever dunked before and its easier to catch a well placed alley oop and dunk it than it is to bring it up from the ground and dunk it - that gets multiplied when your talking about dunking OVER someone.

Are there really any ridiculous POSTERS out there from Blake (where he actually dunks the ball and touches the rim)? Amare has hours of them on youtube.

If we're talking about who can create a dunk on their own then you're right. If we're just talking guys who are known for dunking. Flashyness and so forth, I don't think they're far off each other.
It's not an insult to Griffin. Griffin is the modern day Amar'e (with regard to must see dunks).

tr3ymill3r
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Yup that's what everyone who has a clue should say. This was much easier than overall.

RateSports
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM

This.

PurpleLynch
02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Carter
Dr J
MJ
Wilkins

P&GRealist
02-19-2014, 04:21 PM
MJ, Nique, Vince and Dr. J

I think a guy like Kobe gets overlooked as one of the greatest in game Dunkers this league has ever seen. How many 7 footers has he dunked on throughout his career, man oh man. And he also had the creativity factor.

t_money25
02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
1st tier - Kemp, Carter, Wilkins, & Jordan
2nd tier - Griffin, Dawkins, Amare, & Lebron

This thread is very debatable......

DreamShaker
02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
OP had it right in my eyes. Vince, MJ, Nique, and Dr. J. Others are vital. Guys like Chocolate Thunder,Hawk, Kemp, David Thompson. But those are the guys who pop in my head right away.

DreamShaker
02-19-2014, 05:09 PM
P&G-

I agree. Kobe had some of the best in game dunks I've ever seen.

FYL_McVeezy
02-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Dr. J
Human Highlight Film
Air Jordan
Vinsanity

Honorable Mention:
Chocolate Thunder
Shawn Kemp

ManningToTyree
02-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Op has it right

hidalgo
02-19-2014, 05:31 PM
1. Vince Carter
2. Michael Jordan (nobody looks more graceful in slow mo, dunking or any play)
3. Dr J (the way he palmed the ball & his style, still hasn't been duplicated)
4. Dominique Wilkins (windmill master, incredible hops & power)

honorable mentions

Blake Griffin
LeBron James
Shawn Kemp
Darryl Dawkins
Shaquille O'Neal (tore down the entire goal twice, dunked on anyone in his path)
Charles Barkley (very memorable power dunks, especially his 1 man fast break gorilla slams. he was so fast)

BoSox47
02-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Vince Carter, Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Shawn Kemp

x2

Today in basketball best in game dunkers

Blake Griffin, Josh Smith, Lebron, Deandre jordan

Corey
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Those would be my four as well.

jericho
02-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Any list that doesn't have Vince on it should be forfeited. Another thing why do people keep on bringing Lebron in best Dunkers I mean c'mon he is great but not one of the best when it comes to dunking there are a lot more other players that I could list that are ahead of him when it came to dunking.

AntiG
02-21-2014, 02:56 AM
Wilkins, Carter, Dr. J, MJ, Drexler, Kemp and Lebron

Hawkeye15
02-21-2014, 02:57 AM

perfect

b@llhog24
02-21-2014, 03:03 AM
Surprised J Rich isn't getting more burn in here.

Clippersfan86
02-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Lol. I'll post Griffin's not wide open alley oop posters when I get to the lab shortly. Start with Frye, Ibaka, Gortat 3 times, Hawes.

tredigs
02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Mine's got to have a finesse, a power, a combo and the wild card:

Finesse: Jordan
Power: Chocolate Thunder
Combo: Vince Carter
Wild Card: Blake Griffin

Clippersfan86
02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Mine are Jordan, Carter, Dr J and Griffin. Nique, Kemp and Shaq in the mix too. I don't understand the Daryl Dawkins hype one bit. I've went through footage and sure the guy used to break backboards when they were weak.... but he had zero creativity in the slightest and very little variety to his dunks. He's Lebron James of his era in that regard. Unless some of you watched him live and can prove me wrong, that's the footage I've seen. I don't know about you but I don't get excited about Lebron's dunks either.

tredigs
02-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I mostly added him because I like to say "Chocolate Thunder" whenever possible.

Clippersfan86
02-21-2014, 01:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzxFJa6rfsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw_5rPU3ZRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJR5LTHT_hU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ34Xi75qmE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY5e7vcx0EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnfUqrNKOco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzSt7frNz9E

These are just using your bogus criteria of having to grab a hold of the rim after a dunk and "on" a defender, because it's apparently easier than flying over guys lol. Blake has a superior dunk resume to Amare in just 4 years. Amare literally COULDN'T pull off the same tip jams and full court lobs regularly that Griffin does in traffic. He's not strong enough physically. He relied on face up and quick dunking on late defenders. Is he a great dunker? Yes. But he's not Blake level.

BTW Perkins dunk he actually did touch rim, so count that too even if you disregard Mozgov and Humphries.

PS. Holler at me for your claims going into the season that Griffin was done, on the decline and would average 18/8 at best.

jerellh528
02-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Carter
Kobe
Erving
Wilkins

Wanted to put griffen in for Kobe but he needs a few more seasons of great dunks before I can put him on the Rushmore.

Clippersfan86
02-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Oh and Kobe isn't top 4 for me, but he does earn the title of most underrated dunker of all time. Nobody thinks of him as a dunker but he has some of the nastiest posters in NBA history and even his dunk contest performance was very underrated.

Swashcuff
02-21-2014, 02:46 PM
As a dunker in game or not Blake > Amar'e. Blake put together what can be argued as the greatest season of highlight reel dunks the league has ever seen a couple years ago.

My Mt Dunkmore would be the same as the OPs but I must say JRich deserves some recognition.

Kaner
02-21-2014, 02:55 PM
VC, JRich, Jordan, Dr J

am probably biased because the first dunk contest i can remember was JRich in 02