PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: Could players from the 86 second round win a title?

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2014, 07:11 AM
The second round of the 1986 draft is legendary. Teams give second-round draft picks away like candy in trades. It would have been easy to wheel and deal 6 or 7 picks early in the second round that season, but would a team built through that process be good enough to win?

Here's what the line-up would look like:

PG: Mark Price/Nate McMillan
SG: Jeff Horncek/Drazen Petrovic/DAvid Wingate
SF: Johnny Newman/ Otis Smith
PF: Dennis Rodman/Larry Krystkowiak
C: Kevin Duckworth

And if you could have wrestled away the last pic of the first round you could throw Aevydas Sabonis in there with Duckworth at the C.

Lakerfan8032
02-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Interesting. You'd have a decent team but where's the guy who commands the attention on offense to free up everyone else? And I would start Drazen before Hornacek. He would have been remembered much more fondly if he wouldn't have died so early in his career. He was so damn good and an excellent shooter. Hornacek was good but not nearly as good as Petrovic. And other then the backcourt, there's no offense. Duckworth was just a big body, Newman and Smith were nothing special and Rodman was obviously one of the greatest rebounders ever and an excellent defender but very limited on offense.

So other then the backcourt there's nothing offensively. And they were all shooters, good ones, but there's no one on that team that can take it to the rim with any real effectiveness. And absolutely no post presence. So now I'm rethinking if they would even be a playoff team. Possibly but no way a championship team. Not even close. But some good second round talent.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2014, 11:20 AM
you could argue that MARK Price had a BETTER team with Ron harper, nance, Daugherty and ehlo and they didnt make the cut to get a title or to the finals.

so im leaning to no.

DreamShaker
02-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I agree with my buddy Crooner. That Cavs team was pretty equal to the talent we are discussing and they never came close to making the Finals. Rodman/Hornacek/Drazen would be upgrades, but not enough to put them over the top.

Chronz
02-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I agree with my buddy Crooner. That Cavs team was pretty equal to the talent we are discussing and they never came close to making the Finals. Rodman/Hornacek/Drazen would be upgrades, but not enough to put them over the top.

U underrate Rodman, if you can somehow add Arvydas, they are favorites IMO

Chronz
02-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Interesting. You'd have a decent team but where's the guy who commands the attention on offense to free up everyone else? And I would start Drazen before Hornacek. He would have been remembered much more fondly if he wouldn't have died so early in his career. He was so damn good and an excellent shooter. Hornacek was good but not nearly as good as Petrovic. And other then the backcourt, there's no offense. Duckworth was just a big body, Newman and Smith were nothing special and Rodman was obviously one of the greatest rebounders ever and an excellent defender but very limited on offense.

So other then the backcourt there's nothing offensively. And they were all shooters, good ones, but there's no one on that team that can take it to the rim with any real effectiveness. And absolutely no post presence. So now I'm rethinking if they would even be a playoff team. Possibly but no way a championship team. Not even close. But some good second round talent.

Drazen was good but not great and definitely not on Hornaceks level.

What year are we looking at anyways, OP.

valade16
02-18-2014, 03:17 PM

Agreed if we are talking about prime Sabonis.

abe_froman
02-18-2014, 03:24 PM
good playoff team,but not contenders,they just lack that top level go to talent to be serious threats

NoahH
02-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Nope, as stated above theres no superstar scoring talent.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Start Drazen at SF and watch the 3's rain from the sky.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2014, 04:46 PM

I always thought that if Sabonis had been over here at age 22-24, he would be considered a top 5 center to ever play.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2014, 04:47 PM
you could argue that MARK Price had a BETTER team with Ron harper, nance, Daugherty and ehlo and they didnt make the cut to get a title or to the finals.

so im leaning to no.

I loved watching Harper before his knees went

PurpleLynch
02-18-2014, 05:21 PM
The Price-Petrovic combo would be hella fun to watch.

Ebbs
02-18-2014, 05:53 PM
This guy wants to be a mod so badly. And frankly he deserves it.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
I always thought that if Sabonis had been over here at age 22-24, he would be considered a top 5 center to ever play.

only if he didnt blew up his knees several times in between.
But he woudl ahve forSURe been an allstasr, and probably Blazers would ahve defeated the bulls even with the injurys.

If he never got injured, man he would ahve been a top 10 all time in general he had it all.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2014, 05:58 PM
But he woudl ahve forSURe been an allstasr, and probably Blazers would ahve defeated the bulls even with the injurys.

If he never got injured, man he would ahve been a top 10 all time in general he had it all.

well, it was a given with his size his knees would take a beating. But yeah, easily the most skilled center I have ever seen. Even at ages 31-34, he really just blew me away.

Chronz
02-18-2014, 06:02 PM
well, it was a given with his size his knees would take a beating. But yeah, easily the most skilled center I have ever seen. Even at ages 31-34, he really just blew me away.

Do you think Sabonis could have equaled or exceeded his per minute rates from his older days in Portland?

Hawkeye15
02-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Do you think Sabonis could have equaled or exceeded his per minute rates from his older days in Portland?

I don't know if he needed to exceed them, just sustain them. If he would have been here 9 years previous to when he was, and played 32 mpg, I still think we are talking about him in the discussion for top 5 centers possibly.

The biggest question mark, is does his body even make it to age 30 if he plays 70 NBA games a year, instead of the lighter international schedule that gave his body a lot more rest?

Bruno
02-18-2014, 06:27 PM
sabonis had a per-36 of 22/9 with a TS% over .600 as a 31 year old rookie.

would have been really interesting to see what he could have done in that 25-28 year old window in the NBA. I think Sabonis would dominate today as a young player he's totally built for todays game. maybe kevin love would be the closest comparison today?

Chronz
02-18-2014, 06:31 PM
sabonis had a per-36 of 22/9 with a TS% over .600 as a 31 year old rookie.

would have been really interesting to see what he could have done in that 25-28 year old window in the NBA. I think Sabonis would dominate today as a young player he's totally built for todays game. maybe kevin love would be the closest comparison today?

22-12 actually, with great passing and range offensively. 116 O-RTG

14-10 as a 38 year old, has anyone aged so gracefully that wasn't an All-Timer?

Hellcrooner
02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
at least he made it to the nba in the tail end and people managed to see him.

other international greats that could/would have shined never went to the nba, Dalipaglic, Oscar Schmitt, Juan Antonio san Epifanio, Nick gallis, Dino Meneghin, Bodiroga come to mind

Hawkeye15
02-18-2014, 06:44 PM
22-12 actually, with great passing and range offensively. 116 O-RTG

14-10 as a 38 year old, has anyone aged so gracefully that wasn't an All-Timer?

Do you think what I mentioned above has something to do with it? From ages 18-30, he played far shorter seasons overseas. If he was here at age 22, He ages well before 38 imo

Hawkeye15
02-18-2014, 06:45 PM
at least he made it to the nba in the tail end and people managed to see him.

other international greats that could/would have shined never went to the nba, Dalipaglic, Oscar Schmitt, Juan Antonio san Epifanio, Nick gallis, Dino Meneghin, Bodiroga come to mind

he would have averaged 30 a game in the NBA

PurpleLynch
02-18-2014, 06:47 PM

I completely agree.Sabonis could be(and when he was healthy,was) a better version of Walton imo. He was amazing.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2014, 06:55 PM
he would have averaged 30 a game in the NBA

on a losing team, for sure.

on a wining team he could have been a hell of a sixth man with 12 - 15 from the bench.
and win some 3pshooting contest at the allstar

Ebbs
02-18-2014, 07:22 PM
on a losing team, for sure.

on a wining team he could have been a hell of a sixth man with 12 - 15 from the bench.
and win some 3pshooting contest at the allstar

12-15 from the bench? Is he plying 30 minutes off the bench still? #croonnumbers

Ebbs
02-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Top 10 bench player PER's single season:
Sabonis
Ginobilli
Ginobilli
R.Pierce
McHale
Kemp
Drummond
A. Jamison
McHale
Harden

Hellcrooner
02-18-2014, 07:44 PM
12-15 from the bench? Is he plying 30 minutes off the bench still? #croonnumbers
remember teams averaged more points per game in teh 80s.

and this dude was the ultimate bomber ( and chucker).

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Drazen was good but not great and definitely not on Hornaceks level.

What year are we looking at anyways, OP.

Any year you want. I was thinking now when I asked, but I realized I didn't specify, so which ever generation you like. Late 80-early/mid 90's, the 00's or today.