PDA

View Full Version : Woj - MIN & MEM discuss Budinger for Prince

jsthornton7
02-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Y! Sources: Minnesota, Memphis discussing trade package centered on Chase Budinger and Tayshaun Prince. http://yhoo.it/M7K2k7

---

The Memphis Grizzlies are discussing a deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves centered on forward Chase Budinger and guard J.J. Barea, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Memphis wants to include forward Tayshaun Prince into the package and the deal could be expanded to include guard Tony Allen, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Components of a proposed deal are still fluid.

Memphis has been furiously trying to unload Prince and the remaining $7.2 million (2013-'14) and $7.7 million (2014-'15) on his contract, league sources said.

Minnesota general manager Flip Saunders is believed to want to add defensive toughness to his roster, and that would make Allen a natural to fill the Wolves' void.

Budinger, 25, missed much of the early season recovering from knee surgery, and has averaged six points in 17.7 minutes per game this season.

Barea, 29, is averaging 8.7 points in 18 minutes per game this season.

JasonJohnHorn
02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
That would be a HUGE trade for Minny.... I really think that would help them out a lot on the defensive end of the court... having him AND Rubio? Rubio's FG% is still awful, but... defensively? That is a great combo to have on the floor.

sunsfan88
02-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Budinger would be perfect for Memphis...he brings much needed athleticism and shooting to their SF group.

The Grizz have to give up more than just Prince and Allen to get a guy like Budinger imo.

jsthornton7
02-17-2014, 09:01 PM
I really like Tony Allen. I'm kinda surprised they would add him to a deal.

shep33
02-17-2014, 09:02 PM
I like it for Memphis

JasonJohnHorn
02-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Budinger would be perfect for Memphis...he brings much needed athleticism and shooting to their SF group.

The Grizz have to give up more than just Prince and Allen to get a guy like Budinger imo.

I would drop Bud for Prince and Allen in a heart beat. Those two are SO good on defence.... which would be huge for Minny I think.

Plus Bud has been injured each of the past two season. I'd rather have two defenders that I know will play, than one guy who might not.

That said, I haven't actually gotten to see Bud play at all... not even a single game... but I have seen lots of Prince and Allen and I love those guys... so that might be a bias on my part. But I take that in a heartbeat if I'm Minny.

ManRam
02-17-2014, 09:05 PM
On the surface it seems logical for both sides. Memphis gets some offense, Minny gets some defense. Memphis gets some minor cap relief down the road too. But it's gonna be pretty heavily contingent on Budinger figuring things out this year...because he's been awful (obviously injuries playing a role)

Hawkeye15
02-17-2014, 09:06 PM
not sure how I feel about this. Prince has been pretty awful, and while I love Allen's defense, taking on an additional year of Prince's salary bugs me.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2014, 09:06 PM
On the surface it seems logical for both sides. Memphis gets some offense, Minny gets some defense. Memphis gets some minor cap relief down the road too. But it's gonna be pretty heavily contingent on Budinger figuring things out this year...because he's been awful.

he has been much better recently. You tend to be in a funk after 2 knee surgeries and missing 100 games in the past 2 seasons....

Hawkeye15
02-17-2014, 09:07 PM
also, Barea leaving would answer many Wolves fans prayers. No more do we need to watch him try and break his own world record for most dribbles in a possession.

DreamShaker
02-17-2014, 09:18 PM
I would drop Bud for Prince and Allen in a heart beat. Those two are SO good on defence.... which would be huge for Minny I think.

Plus Bud has been injured each of the past two season. I'd rather have two defenders that I know will play, than one guy who might not.

That said, I haven't actually gotten to see Bud play at all... not even a single game... but I have seen lots of Prince and Allen and I love those guys... so that might be a bias on my part. But I take that in a heartbeat if I'm Minny.

In Houston, he was a pretty bad defender, so this would help the Wolves D. If Memphis needs a shooter and an athlete, Bud fits the bill. He's like a poor man's Chandler Parsons.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2014, 09:23 PM
I will say, if the trade is just Budinger for Prince, I would be pissed off big time

Blink
02-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Damn Rubio n Allen would be sick defensively.

How do Wolves fans feel about that on offense?

Prince/Brewer/Allen nice defenders to make a run.

IndyRealist
02-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Damn Rubio n Allen would be sick defensively.

How do Wolves fans feel about that on offense?

Prince/Brewer/Allen nice defenders to make a run.
This. Rubio/Allen/Brewer on the perimeter is ZERO floor spacing. The threat of Budinger hitting the 3 opens up the floor for Rubio to drive and Pekovic to work inside. If this trade goes through I would absolutely collapse on the paint with every player not guarding Love.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2014, 10:11 PM
This. Rubio/Allen/Brewer on the perimeter is ZERO floor spacing. The threat of Budinger hitting the 3 opens up the floor for Rubio to drive and Pekovic to work inside. If this trade goes through I would absolutely collapse on the paint with every player not guarding Love.

Kevin Martin would still start at the 2. I figure Allen is our 6th man who closes games with Brewer sitting, if this trade went down.

Blink
02-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Kevin Martin would still start at the 2. I figure Allen is our 6th man who closes games with Brewer sitting, if this trade went down.

Ah yeah. Nvm. Forgot about Martin.

Damn id like that trade.

jsthornton7
02-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Kevin Love and Kevin Martin both stretch the floor. Shved and Brewer can also shoot better than their statistics imply.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Kevin Love and Kevin Martin both stretch the floor. Shved and Brewer can also shoot better than their statistics imply.

meh, both are crummy shooters. The Wolves really need to get a shooter this offseason.

True Sports Fan
02-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Don't get it for Memphis. Allen isn't a throw in either

TrueFan420
02-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Don't get it for Memphis. Allen isn't a throw in either

Agreed

MrfadeawayJB
02-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Memphis insiders are saying the grizz haven't talked to the twolves all week. I'm assuming this leaked from the wolves side. Prince is being shopped but not TA from what I know. Only names I hear being shopped in Memphis is Ed Davis, prince, and koufas

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Considering that Luol Deng is reportedly on the block, I think the T-Wolves might look into that. I LOVE Prince (Bad Boys fan here), but I haven't watched him much in Memphis outside of a couple of playoff games last year.

Deng is a winner and he wants to win. Now. And he's 28 to Prince's 33.

I think Minny should call up Cleveland before pulling the trigger on this.

Deadpool
02-18-2014, 08:36 PM
I really like Tony Allen as a player, but can him and Rubio really be on the floor together without hurting their offense considerably?