PDA

View Full Version : All Time ASG MVP teams: East vs. West

DreamShaker
02-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Who wins? Assuming everyone is at their prime. I'll give you the teams, feel free to change them...I'm putting them in the conference they won the award in...

East:

PG- Oscar Robertson/Isiah Thomas
SG- Michael Jordan/Wade/Iverson
SF- Lebron James/Larry Bird/Dr. J
PF- Charles Barkley/Pippen
C- Wilt/Russell

West:

PG- Magic/Stockton/CP3
SG- Kobe/West
SF- Baylor/Durant/Rick Barry
PF- KG/Karl Malone
C- Shaq/Duncan

Note: I just could not leave Pippen off the East in favor of Cowens or Reed. So it's a bit smaller.

douglas
02-17-2014, 04:40 PM
I think that the East would win because they have better players.

DreamShaker
02-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Solid insight ;)

jerellh528
02-17-2014, 04:50 PM
West because I would take this lineup to be very competitive against any other lineup in history, regardless of confrence or era.
Magic
Kobe
Durant
Kg
Shaq

DreamShaker
02-17-2014, 07:38 PM
West because I would take this lineup to be very competitive against any other lineup in history, regardless of confrence or era.
Magic
Kobe
Durant
Kg
Shaq

I think it is a pretty even matchup.

Nick O
02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
id take malone over KG . just my opinion tho.

Nick O
02-17-2014, 07:40 PM

i like this guy. he gets right to the point

DreamShaker
02-17-2014, 09:53 PM
id take malone over KG . just my opinion tho.

I put them around the same level.

ThaDubs
02-17-2014, 11:30 PM
People forget that prime KG was putting up 24, 14, and 6 every game. Those are absurd numbers.

Nick O
02-18-2014, 12:37 AM
People forget that prime KG was putting up 24, 14, and 6 every game. Those are absurd numbers.

kevin love does that too. they both played for the same team at similar levels. impressive as hell ya. i know malone doesnt have a ring but his team was much better

Nick O
02-18-2014, 12:39 AM
I put them around the same level.

me too. and KG is a bit of a tool. so id choose Malone. KGs a great player. i just dont like the way he is on the court.

FlashBolt
02-18-2014, 01:51 AM
me too. and KG is a bit of a tool. so id choose Malone. KGs a great player. i just dont like the way he is on the court.

What...? That doesn't even make sense. We're talking about basketball. Don't include emotions. Anyways, KG beats Malone every time. Malone was horrible at defense and KG was more versatile. KG would be near unstoppable had he had an elite PG feeding him. KG was an elite rebounder, scorer, passer, and defender. Complete do it all.

jerellh528
02-18-2014, 03:00 AM
What...? That doesn't even make sense. We're talking about basketball. Don't include emotions. Anyways, KG beats Malone every time. Malone was horrible at defense and KG was more versatile. KG would be near unstoppable had he had an elite PG feeding him. KG was an elite rebounder, scorer, passer, and defender. Complete do it all.

What? Lol that's what sports is. Without emotion or attatchment or dislike sports would be very boring

bootypants
02-18-2014, 03:18 AM
Who wins? Assuming everyone is at their prime. I'll give you the teams, feel free to change them...I'm putting them in the conference they won the award in...

East:

PG- Oscar Robertson/Isiah Thomas
SG- Michael Jordan/Wade/Iverson
SF- Lebron James/Larry Bird/Dr. J
PF- Charles Barkley/Pippen
C- Wilt/Russell

West:

PG- Magic/Stockton/CP3
SG- Kobe/West
SF- Baylor/Durant/Rick Barry
PF- KG/Karl Malone
C- Shaq/Duncan

Note: I just could not leave Pippen off the East in favor of Cowens or Reed. So it's a bit smaller.

I think its the East...

Wilt & Russel Downlow.
Pippen + Lebrons perimeter D in crunch time
Iverson off the bench to light it up.
MJ is MJ.

I don't see shaq getting enough touches to make a hefty difference.

5ass
02-18-2014, 03:39 AM
East.
If magic starts at pg for the west bron starts at pg for the east and puts pippen in the lineup.
Bron
Mj
Pippen
Russel
Wilt
That defense would be crazy.
The west has a lot of depth at the pf/c positions, but their are only 48mpg.

xxplayerxx23
02-18-2014, 04:14 AM
kevin love does that too. they both played for the same team at similar levels. impressive as hell ya. i know malone doesnt have a ring but his team was much better

KG played all world defense, kevin love does not. Kevin love is not the level of KG

Nick O
02-18-2014, 09:26 AM

why not?? i personally believe they are very even players... so im going to pick the guy whos attitude doesnt piss me off

Nick O
02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
KG played all world defense, kevin love does not. Kevin love is not the level of KG

the guy didnt state anything about his defense. he just threw out his stats.

Chrisclover
02-18-2014, 11:57 AM
hard to judge

Walt
02-18-2014, 12:50 PM
I laughed reading about Kevin Garnett being much better than Malone. It's debatable, but at the absolute worst Malone is slightly, narrowly below KG because of defense.

Chrisclover
02-19-2014, 12:18 PM
If there is a special rule,which i will elaborate later, then it is the East who will prevail .
I am a big fan of versatile players. without a doubt, MJ, LBJ and Pippen are among the best of them. And i view them as the determining factors of this historically competitive game .
The reason why i single out the versatile players are as follows.Generally speaking, other players are just too similar. In these teams which are comprised of ASG MVPs,super talents or even the transcendent talents are everywhere.Players like Shaq, kobe are perfect examples of the best typical players of their respective positions. IMO, the priority is to score from each and every opportunity for a SG , while post defense for a center. What distinguish Kobe and Shaq from other players are not only their already super goal -fulfillment, like Kobe being a gorgeous scorer and Shaq being a defensive anchor,but also their other strengths,by which i mean Kobe also sacrificed his body to play atrocious defense, Shaq developed his dreamy post moves, not relying solely on their superhuman physicality.
In short, all players here are both good offensively and defensively. So it is hard to say who will beat who in one on one . Then i may just ignore this aspect and fully focus on my following part.
Admittedly, both teams are well built. But do you value passing ?Many of the players here are huge ball -users, which are not wholesome for a team. The failures of the dream teams in the international games several years back were good examples.Too many solo plays and lack of chemistry are of no good to a team. To gel the players together should be listed as a top priority here.
Now you have a closer look at the rosters.Aside from respective PGs,
For the East, there are MJ, LBJ and Pippen who are terrific passers, whereas only West and KG provide extra passing for the West .
For the East,MJ, LBJ, Pippen are totally playing different positions.they can go inside and out without much effort and thus animate the overall offense of the whole team.
For the West, West and KG are sharing the passing load with PGs --Magic, Stockton and CP3,whom are very phenomenal play makers and passers.
If the rule is that every player stick to his primary position,which, in other words, do not play at secondary position, then the East is at a huge unfavorable place. They own 3 super engines Magic, Stockton and CP3,yet they can not maximize their contributions due to lack of minutes. On the other side, the East has 3 extra gorgeous passers MJ, LBJ and Pippen, whereas the West just has 2--West and KG. Without further thinking, you know the East has a bigger chance to win.
I may be incorrect or off base ,so dont take my words too seriously :o

FlashBolt
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
I laughed reading about Kevin Garnett being much better than Malone. It's debatable, but at the absolute worst Malone is slightly, narrowly below KG because of defense.

John Stockton was no scrub. Top three PG. Imagine John Stockton feeding KG. Also, at their ultimate peak, KG was slightly better than TD. I've honestly never seen a big man as dominant on both sides while being so complete other than Hakeem.

KG put up:

24 PPG
14RPG
5 APG
2 BPG

All while playing some elite defense on a very horrible roster.

Chrisclover
02-19-2014, 12:30 PM
If this special rule does not exist, then the West could win easily by fully utilizing their 3PGs,which is very easier to achieve. Magic is incredibly tall and strong so he can play any position. Either CP3 or Stockton come off the bench may not be much different but you have to admit that with one of them as a 6th man, this team is moving more smoothly than we can imagine.

Baller1
02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
East, rather easily.

PurpleLynch
02-19-2014, 04:35 PM
I think it's even.All in their prime would be a crazy match,my head just explodes at the thought of it.I'd add Olajuwon to the West team and move TD to PF.Hakeem+TD would be the most skilled duo of bigs that ever existed imo.

So my fav starting line-up would be

Magic
Kobe
Durant
Duncan
Hakeem/Shaq(I just love him too much)

PurpleLynch
02-19-2014, 04:48 PM
I also disagree with people saying that the East has better players.
Magic-->Considered the best PG of all time
Duncan-->Considered the best PF of all time
Hakeem-->While it's the hardest choice of all three,he's considered the best center of all time by a lot of people.

Kobe also is considered the 2nd best Sg of all time,while a lot think that Durant has to reach yet his prime.
Mj is the best Sg(and best player of all time) and Lebron is the best Sf for sure,but that's why think it's even.

PurpleLynch
02-19-2014, 04:51 PM
And what do you think would be the better team at rebounding and defense?West or East?(Think at the West with Hakeem also)

jerellh528
02-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Sorry for going off topic but speaking of KG, does anyone else remember the league in talks about making him the new nba logo because the west logo was too old school? I might have somehow had a weird dream or made this up in my head but anyone remember this? It was probably between 5-10 years ago.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-19-2014, 07:23 PM
I'd say the East because I feel like their talent around the perimeter is undeniably better than the West's.

Chrisclover
02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Ok, from my perspective, the ball movement should be the determining factor. You have a team which is comprised of superstars, whom are individually fantastic. Nevertheless, the team play is the key. We have witnessed too many tragedies caused by the lack of chemistry,which is illustrated by last season 's Lakers. Besides the perennial injuries, i would say they failed due to lack of chemistry. These future HOFers didnt gel together well. Howard always complaint about lack of ball usage, Nash was whining that he was shifted to a SG role, Gasol was getting even fewer balls than Howard,Kobe was struggling to comfort the above three and thus got so tired. What we had seen was that the ball was not being moved as well as people expected ,which inevitably resulted in the notorious failure.
In this case, it is really needed to animate the offense and make it multi -fold, rather than being stereotypical by setting fixed plays for certain players ,which will be less efficient once the opposing team do enough research and draft plans accordingly.

jerellh528
02-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Ok, from my perspective, the ball movement should be the determining factor. You have a team which is comprised of superstars, whom are individually fantastic. Nevertheless, the team play is the key. We have witnessed too many tragedies caused by the lack of chemistry,which is illustrated by last season 's Lakers. Besides the perennial injuries, i would say they failed due to lack of chemistry. These future HOFers didnt gel together well. Howard always complaint about lack of ball usage, Nash was whining that he was shifted to a SG role, Gasol was getting even fewer balls than Howard,Kobe was struggling to comfort the above three and thus got so tired. What we had seen was that the ball was not being moved as well as people expected ,which inevitably resulted in the notorious failure.
In this case, it is really needed to animate the offense and make it multi -fold, rather than being stereotypical by setting fixed plays for certain players ,which will be less efficient once the opposing team do enough research and draft plans accordingly.

Sooooo....... Who do you choose?

Chrisclover
02-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Like i said, it is dependent on the rotation.If this is treated as seriously as NBA Finals, then i say the West has a slight advantage since their depth of passers is phenomenal

Jenceman
02-19-2014, 10:44 PM
The West's length is insane. Good luck scoring on that defense. Magic wasn't the greatest defender, but just size wise I think the West is way too much for the East too handle.

Chrisclover
02-19-2014, 10:51 PM
it is kind of hilarious to argue about which team is better. In reality, no player treats the ASG as seriously as a regular season game. In these case, OP refines the lineups by just using the ASG MVPs.But does it make a big difference if it is a normal ASG ??

Chrisclover
02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Sorry for going off topic but speaking of KG, does anyone else remember the league in talks about making him the new nba logo because the west logo was too old school? I might have somehow had a weird dream or made this up in my head but anyone remember this? It was probably between 5-10 years ago.
wow, this is surprising. what was the response from the fans and media back then ?