PDA

View Full Version : Adam Silver: There will eventually be ads on NBA jerseys

sunsfan88
02-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi

Adam Silver says sponsorship on jerseys will ultimately happen. "It makes good business sense."

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/434849654157488128

And of course they can fit more ads on sleeved jerseys than sleeveless jerseys as well.... :o

Could potential advertising space be behind the NBA's rollout of the controversial sleeved jerseys, such as the ones the players will be wearing during Sunday's All-Star Game? Cork Gaines of Business Insider believes the sleeved jerseys might have been designed with ads in mind:

In addition to the increase in surface area on the front compared to a traditional jersey, the design includes fewer contrasting colors and less area being covered by graphics, lettering, and numbers. It would seem that this is exactly what you would want to change if you were going to eventually add an advertisement patch to the front of the uniforms.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nbas-crazy-new-christmas-day-jerseys-hint-at-the-future-of-uniform-advertising-2013-11

PraiseJesus
02-17-2014, 04:19 AM
Its all coming together now.

Replace tattooed arms with sprite and state farm ads...

fantastic

ThaDubs
02-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Can I ****ing strangle this man, please? Can we just get a commissioner already who actually understands the game of basketball, instead of some mindless money grubbing nut like this fool? Sorry if your 8 digit salary isn't enough, but the NBA is headed in the wrong direction in every way possible.

True Sports Fan
02-17-2014, 04:22 AM
Just another way to make more money

ThaDubs
02-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Next thing you know they will have players apply phony tattoos advertising businesses, ad logos on balls, shoes, socks– our ****ing players will be walking advertisements. They'll be painting Nike Logos in their ****ing hair.

ThaDubs
02-17-2014, 04:26 AM
The Cliff Paul **** is funny, this is just ********.

sunsfan88
02-17-2014, 04:27 AM
I hate the idea of ads on jerseys as much as the next guy but when they do it, I hope LeBron's jersey has the ad for "Amtrak".

It just makes too much sense.

amak316
02-17-2014, 04:30 AM
Can I ****ing strangle this man, please? Can we just get a commissioner already who actually understands the game of basketball, instead of some mindless money grubbing nut like this fool? Sorry if your 8 digit salary isn't enough, but the NBA is headed in the wrong direction in every way possible.

Wow a guy who is the head of a multi billion dollar corporation is profit driven and is trying to increase revenue.... I mean what do you want from him? That's his job description.

Personally I don't think advertising on the sleeves takes anything away from the game and I actually like the sleeved jerseys better. Would be cool if it drives down ticket prices or at least helps owners justify more promos etc.

ThaDubs
02-17-2014, 04:35 AM
Wow a guy who is the head of a multi billion dollar corporation is profit driven and is trying to increase revenue.... I mean what do you want from him? That's his job description.

Personally I don't think advertising on the sleeves takes anything away from the game and I actually like the sleeved jerseys better. Would be cool if it drives down ticket prices or at least helps owners justify more promos etc.

If I was commissioner, I would keep away the sleeved jerseys and bring back the old format for ASW. I guarantee that would increase the NBA view rate. I should run for commish.

sunsfan88
02-17-2014, 04:39 AM
If I was commissioner, I would keep away the sleeved jerseys and bring back the old format for ASW. I guarantee that would increase the NBA view rate. I should run for commish.

What are the qualifications to run for commish of a sport anyway? Be good at sucking up to people? And have a degree of law?

Do that much and you get $44 million+ yearly?

amak316
02-17-2014, 04:39 AM

OMG you just solved all of the NBAs most pressing issues. Great work. I'm sure someone from NBAs corporate office will see this and you'll be getting the job offer within a few days.

ThaDubs
02-17-2014, 04:58 AM
OMG you just solved all of the NBAs most pressing issues. Great work. I'm sure someone from NBAs corporate office will see this and you'll be getting the job offer within a few days.

I was joking around, dick.

My point is that they all make some much god damn money that they might as well focus other stuff rather than how much mula is rolling in.

ThaDubs
02-17-2014, 05:02 AM
What are the qualifications to run for commish of a sport anyway? Be good at sucking up to people? And have a degree of law?

Do that much and you get $44 million+ yearly?

It seems like:

•Have a small penis
•Have no friends
•Lack an understanding of the essence of the corporation you're working for
•Lack intelligence
•Have a small penis

Slug3
02-17-2014, 05:03 AM
This is only going to make the next lockout worse. Players stating "look at the money they get for out jersey ads". Etc etc etc. I bet the nba waits till the year after they strike a deal with the new collective bargaining agreement.

Lakers + Giants
02-17-2014, 05:13 AM
they better raise the salary cap significantly then, cuz teams gonna be bringing in way more money.

PraiseJesus
02-17-2014, 05:43 AM
The extra money will go directly into the pockets of small market owners.

The Players wont see any of it

The ticket prices will continue to rise.

Just facts

ThuglifeJ
02-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Yup. Already dislike him. My nature is to usually be optimistic about everything initially..but nope. The second I saw Silver I had zero optimism.

Stern had his many many ways to piss NBA fans off, but he at least attempted to show humor or talk to ppl. Silver reminds me of a mad scientist from a movie or something. Don't trust him.

TheMightyHumph
02-17-2014, 06:54 AM
That day will be possibly the saddest day in NBA History, but it's nothing to be unexpected.

Rollerball.......'Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan'

PraiseJesus
02-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Yup. Already dislike him. My nature is to usually be optimistic about everything initially..but nope. The second I saw Silver I had zero optimism.

Stern had his many many ways to piss NBA fans off, but he at least attempted to show humor or talk to ppl. Silver reminds me of a mad scientist from a movie or something. Don't trust him.

He does look like a little weasel

TheIlladelph16
02-17-2014, 08:37 AM
I like soccer jerseys and didn't hate the sleeved jerseys like most people did, so I don't see this as much of a big deal and actually kind of like it. Its certainly not the worst thing in the world.

Delrayhc
02-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Not in a million years will I believe ticket prices will be driven down. Greed greed greed

MrfadeawayJB
02-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Don't act like this is all silvers idea it's been talked about for years

Ill21
02-17-2014, 10:23 AM
**** this

ManRam
02-17-2014, 10:25 AM
No big deal. It was inevitable and you guys won't hate it nearly as much as you think you do right now

Master Mind
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
I wonder what happens to jersey sells. I damn sure wouldn't be caught with a waffle house brazened Heat jersey.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
This doesn't seem like too big of a deal.

Its a very smart business move.

DR_1
02-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo

2-ONE-5
02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
they will likely be what we saw on all star saturday and its not a big deal if there is a 3 inch ad on the shoulder. Personally i would put it about the players name on the back

2-ONE-5
02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
The extra money will go directly into the pockets of small market owners.

The Players wont see any of it

The ticket prices will continue to rise.

Just facts

proof?

JesusNYY_Savior
02-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Ads are on the Olympic uniforms also I dobt see anti e complaining about that? It's been talked about for years was also seen as inevitable and now will actually happen. I don't understand the backlash this certainly won't ruin the game, he's taking over for Stern and wants to get on the good side of the owners.

archdevil84
02-17-2014, 11:19 AM
goddamn it they need to get rid of those sleeved jerseys RIGHT FCKING NOW

Kaner
02-17-2014, 12:57 PM
This is dumb, it only works for soccer because teams are broke and their aren't substantial advertising opportunities so fans are understanding (same with nascar I think?). Backlash against jersey sales, negative publicity, plus new cba and this would just be another headache for the league.

ManningToTyree
02-17-2014, 01:04 PM
No big deal. It was inevitable and you guys won't hate it nearly as much as you think you do right now this.

FlashBolt
02-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Great idea for the NBA. Great exposure. Hate that it's drifting from basketball itself but it's still a great opportunity to take advantage of.

lakerfan85
02-17-2014, 01:11 PM
No big deal. It was inevitable and you guys won't hate it nearly as much as you think you do right now

It is a big deal.. I hate the jersey's with sleeves..

lakerfan85
02-17-2014, 01:11 PM
goddamn it they need to get rid of those sleeved jerseys RIGHT FCKING NOW

This

mjt20mik
02-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Depends on how they go about doing it. Business wise, it is a smart move, as it would increase their sponsorship income.

ztilzer31
02-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Tacky

D-Leethal
02-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the real world fellas. This was bound to happen eventually. Money talks. You guys probably thought ad-free youtube was going to last forever too.

Sadds The Gr8
02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
I like sleeved jerseys but if the players mostly hate them why force it?

2-ONE-5
02-17-2014, 02:04 PM
This is dumb, it only works for soccer because teams are broke and their aren't substantial advertising opportunities so fans are understanding (same with nascar I think?). Backlash against jersey sales, negative publicity, plus new cba and this would just be another headache for the league.

wait you really think soccer teams are broke? thats cute

2-ONE-5
02-17-2014, 02:05 PM
It is a big deal.. I hate the jersey's with sleeves..

you're not in the league so who cares?

D-Leethal
02-17-2014, 02:12 PM
I like sleeved jerseys but if the players mostly hate them why force it?

Because you don't make league decisions based on what a bunch of pampered, entitled, diva players want.

VendettaRed07
02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
They do it in "soccer" because there aren't commercials bar half time. You have to sit through ads every few minutes in the nba.

Also it's because the leagues don't care about revenue sharing and things of that sort. Teams generate their own money and whatever money they get from the advertisement deals they secure they can spend it directly on players.. So fans actually see the benefits in the ads because get help fund the product on the field

If nba jerseys have ads they should get rid of the cap all together.. Because it's stupid if a team lands a mega ad deal but they can't spend the money that they generate because of the restrictive cap. The money goes straight to the owners and the leagues pockets. Fans and the players union should fight it unless we see a benefit like a cap removal maybe have a system more similar to the mlb with luxiary taxes etc.

Sadds The Gr8
02-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Because you don't make league decisions based on what a bunch of pampered, entitled, diva players want.

well they're the ones wearing em and they're the main attraction to the business so the pampered, entitled diva players should have a choice.

lol, please
02-17-2014, 02:48 PM
And of course they can fit more ads on sleeved jerseys than sleeveless jerseys as well.... :o

as pathetic as it probably sounds to the average person in the US, this has been going on for years all over the world in futbol.

D-Leethal
02-17-2014, 02:50 PM
well they're the ones wearing em and they're the main attraction to the business so the pampered, entitled diva players should have a choice.

Lets make a shorter season, playoff, longer offseason, eliminate road trips, give them multiple vacations mid-season, allow them to use HGH, give them silk pajama jerseys and raise the contract scales while were at it too. You don't make the decisions based on what the players want. You make them based on whats best for the prosperity of the league.

Sadds The Gr8
02-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Lets make a shorter season, playoff, longer offseason, eliminate road trips, give them multiple vacations mid-season, allow them to use HGH, give them silk pajama jerseys and raise the contract scales while were at it too. You don't make the decisions based on what the players want. You make them based on whats best for the prosperity of the league.

comparing those to wearing long sleeve and short sleeve shirts is a pretty ridiculous comparison. they can put ads on short sleeve shirts if they wanna go that route...

sunsfan88
02-17-2014, 03:04 PM
as pathetic as it probably sounds to the average person in the US, this has been going on for years all over the world in futbol.
And that's one of the reasons that I like NBA & NFL more than futbol.

PraiseJesus
02-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Ladies Gentleman

Your Los Angeles Lakers!!!! (presented by Progressive insurance)

hornetsfansydne
02-17-2014, 03:14 PM
The NBL does this and it is not a problem. One of the few ways to get money into the game in Australia.

kjoke
02-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Jersey sales wont go too much down either. I'm for ads on jerseys if it means more revenue to lower prices on other things, or at least more even distribution.

I'm a soccer avid, and when I buy a soccer jersey, sometimes I may like one more than another soley based on the ad.

PraiseJesus
02-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Jersey sales wont go too much down either. I'm for ads on jerseys if it means more revenue to lower prices on other things, or at least more even distribution.

I'm a soccer avid, and when I buy a soccer jersey, sometimes I may like one more than another soley based on the ad.

You are dreaming if you think it will bring down prices of anything

John Walls Era
02-17-2014, 04:05 PM
the ads on soccer jerseys are nice... i think they are eventually going that route. They already using short sleeve Ts. It will be weird though, but its still better than short-shorts era.

John Walls Era
02-17-2014, 04:06 PM
THe prices won't go down. I can almost guarantee that. Maybe a few bucks, but we are not talking about a big enough margin like you're thinking of.

kjoke
02-17-2014, 04:39 PM
the ads on soccer jerseys are nice... i think they are eventually going that route. They already using short sleeve Ts. It will be weird though, but its still better than short-shorts era.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/nba.dunk.contest.winners/images/1988-michael-jordan.jpg

This times shorts are way to big and uncomrtable (at least for me) plus the fit of college basketball t's with those baggy shorts realy disrupt the look of the human body.

I wouldnt mind if the nba goes back to the early 90s era shorts

albertajaysfan
02-17-2014, 05:00 PM
The cap is based on revenue though isn't it?

albertajaysfan
02-17-2014, 05:02 PM
And that's one of the reasons that I like NBA & NFL more than futbol.

Weird reason to like a sport.

I like the NBA because....wait for it.....I like basketball.

D-Leethal
02-17-2014, 05:40 PM
This is the world we live in. Get with the program or go pitch a tent and live off the land in a remote forest somewhere.

D-Leethal
02-17-2014, 05:44 PM
comparing those to wearing long sleeve and short sleeve shirts is a pretty ridiculous comparison. they can put ads on short sleeve shirts if they wanna go that route...

Its meant to be hyperbolic to show you how ridiculous things could be if you simply listened to what the players wanted and made the rules accordingly as you suggested. "Players are the ones playing" so they should decide. Well, does that mean we should let them use HGH like they are fighting for? Where would the line get drawn for what we listen to and disregard?

Whether or not the players like it is far down the list of things that factor into this decision being made.

Bruno
02-17-2014, 05:48 PM
boo.

new comish looks and talks like a robot.

Sadds The Gr8
02-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Its meant to be hyperbolic to show you how ridiculous things could be if you simply listened to what the players wanted and made the rules accordingly as you suggested. "Players are the ones playing" so they should decide. Well, does that mean we should let them use HGH like they are fighting for? Where would the line get drawn for what we listen to and disregard?

Whether or not the players like it is far down the list of things that factor into this decision being made.

long and short sleeve shirts is an on-court performance issue that isn't potentially harmful to the body like HGH can be...regardless of the comparison you're trying to make, it's still wise to listen to the players if THEY don't think the gear is comfortable.

Obviously the league shouldn't listen to the players on scheduling because that isn't there expertise, but in terms of what they're wearing? Why wouldn't they listen to the players if they say it affects performance?

JWorthy42
02-17-2014, 05:55 PM
"Long-sleeved jerseys" aka T-Shirts, are the stupidest thing the NBA has ever tried to push. God I hate it.

I don't mind the ads as much as these stupid "jerseys".

b@llhog24
02-17-2014, 06:23 PM

This.

conway429
02-17-2014, 06:52 PM
After about a month you babies will get over it, and the league will have a valuable revenue stream for ever.
It's shocking it's taken this long to happen. None of you are gonna stop watching because of it, you'll just adapt and forget it was ever another way.

Goose17
02-17-2014, 07:01 PM
They should just have a compromise and be done with it.

Sponsored Sleeve Alternate jerseys for every team, they wear them for 20 games a season. All Star jerseys, sleeved and sponsored. Summer league jerseys sleeved and sponsored.

Home and Road jerseys remain as is.

Get it in writing, that's the way it s for the next 40 years. Enjoy your extra pocket money and leave our proper jerseys alone.

Goose17
02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Also I doubt the Players go for this unless they're getting a BIG cut of the revenue.

I can see the business side of it as well though, short sleeved jerseys are more fashionable than vest style. More people will buy them.

beasted86
02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
"I don't wear jerseys I'm 30 plus" - Jay-Z

Don't really care. It's not like I will stop watching because there are ads on jerseys. What I do know is it all just adds to the hilarity when next CBA owners will still cry about losing money.

NYKNYGNYY
02-17-2014, 07:22 PM
All about the Benjamin's baby

flea
02-17-2014, 07:29 PM
What I wanna know is when we're going to get the fireworks, flames, and metal music intros for the stars.

Kaner
02-17-2014, 08:06 PM
wait you really think soccer teams are broke? thats cute

Wait you don't? Would you prefer heavily indebted to describe the situation? manchester united alone is 716m in debt

"The UEFA report stated 56% of Europeís top pro soccer clubs lost money in the 2010 financial year for a staggering total of over $2 billion"

Read more: Europeís Soccer Clubs: The Continentís Other Looming Debt Crisis | TIME.com http://world.time.com/2012/01/30/europes-soccer-clubs-the-continents-other-looming-debt-crisis/#ixzz2tcxSu0dH

Plat
02-17-2014, 10:08 PM
What a joke

ghettosean
02-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Don't act like this is all silvers idea it's been talked about for years

So that means it's not his idea??? He's been here for years riiiiiight?

2-ONE-5
02-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Wait you don't? Would you prefer heavily indebted to describe the situation? manchester united alone is 716m in debt

"The UEFA report stated 56% of Europe’s top pro soccer clubs lost money in the 2010 financial year for a staggering total of over $2 billion"

Read more: Europe’s Soccer Clubs: The Continent’s Other Looming Debt Crisis | TIME.com http://world.time.com/2012/01/30/europes-soccer-clubs-the-continents-other-looming-debt-crisis/#ixzz2tcxSu0dH

dude that was 4 years ago. but there is no way im getting into a soccer discussion in an nba forum so i dont care. ill leave it at this http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-29/manchester-united-is-first-team-worth-3-billion-forbes-says.html

FlakeyFool
02-17-2014, 11:17 PM
boo.

new comish looks and talks like a robot.

definitely gets mad poon

Phenomenonsense
02-17-2014, 11:24 PM
I would never buy a jersey with an ad on it. I got a soccer jersey from my wife when she was in spain and I never wore it because ads are ****ing stupid.

ghettosean
02-17-2014, 11:29 PM
This is the world we live in. Get with the program or go pitch a tent and live off the land in a remote forest somewhere.

I agree to a point but we are the customers and if we don't like what they are doing we do get a say. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but the way we vote is by the dollars we spend and if people decide to not buy these jerseys and it affects revenue negatively then they will pull those ads off faster than David Stern saying "Adam Silver sure can suck a dick"

John Walls Era
02-17-2014, 11:52 PM
why do players hate tshirts? when I played (long time ago) I would wear a compression T underneath the jersey. Isn't it more comfortable?

LA_Raiders
02-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Silver looking dumber by the day.

WITZ
02-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Pretty obvious this was gonna happen as soon as those sleeved jerseys appeared :sigh:

Nick O
02-18-2014, 12:46 AM
huh.. thats kinda dumb.. i mean... this probably means wel see it other sports too. i really hope not. i mean it wont affect me watching the games which is why the suppose its a win/win. itl annoy everyone but it wont turn anyone away from games. theyre basically being douches and they are very good at it

Nick O
02-18-2014, 12:47 AM
why do players hate tshirts? when I played (long time ago) I would wear a compression T underneath the jersey. Isn't it more comfortable?

my brother did too i hated wearing anything underneith. it really depends on the person.

sunsfan88
02-21-2014, 05:37 AM
NBA tweeted the pic of this jersey out and then quickly deleted the tweet

http://i.imgur.com/N28k1Jm.jpg

Notice anything?