PDA

View Full Version : The We Might As Well Have An Olympic Thread

SLY WILLIAMS
02-16-2014, 02:55 PM
MCD with a goal today!!!

Cally with an assist!!!

So far I think Nash and Mats have been kept off the score sheet but hopefully that changes soon.

Lundy is off to a good start.

Hags got hit in the face I think. I hope he is okay.

Am I forgetting somebody?

Oh yeah Steps sat the first 2 games but I think he may have played today.

YankeeFanAlways
02-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Announcers on the radio broadcast keep GUSHING about McD !!

J4KOP99
02-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Nash playing with Tavares currently... if only that could happen in the NHL...

Yankee Clipper
02-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Potential USA/Canada matchup in the semi finals.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Announcers on the radio broadcast keep GUSHING about McD !!

I'm glad we have him locked up for a long time at a young age. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
02-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Nash playing with Tavares currently... if only that could happen in the NHL...

LOL Maybe we will hear Vanek for Nash rumors soon.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Potential USA/Canada matchup in the semi finals.

We are going to kick their butts!!! Right??? :D

Yankee Clipper
02-16-2014, 05:46 PM

:hope:

fingerbang
02-16-2014, 07:41 PM

Yea, suck it, BSI.

bsi
02-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Yea, suck it, BSI.

You gotta get there first haha.

nyr2002nyr
02-16-2014, 11:06 PM
I love watching hockey on the big ice!!! The games have been great. The Russia game gave me a heart attack or 5. And after 12 years I gave into my wife and got a dog and we named him Ranger.

J4KOP99
02-17-2014, 01:52 AM
LOL Maybe we will hear Vanek for Nash rumors soon.

hell no. Tavares for cally??!?!? sound fair?1?!? add a 1st rd pick???!!??!1

SLY WILLIAMS
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
hell no. Tavares for cally??!?!? sound fair?1?!? add a 1st rd pick???!!??!1

Well they are both Olympians so it does sound fair. :)

bsi
02-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Heard Hagelin got injured but was still planning on playing for Sweden.

nystandup
02-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Heard Henrik too.

bsi
02-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Heard Henrik too.

Whattttt....man thats brutal

nystandup
02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
They said he was run into in practice and skated off to the bench and didn't talk to reporters afterwards. The word they gave was he was OK though. Not sure what that means.

nystandup
02-17-2014, 02:04 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=705316

Karlsson-Lundqvist collision puts scare into Sweden
Monday, 02.17.2014 / 7:32 AM
Arpon Basu - Managing Editor LNH.com

SOCHI -- Sweden has had more than its fair share of high-profile injury issues thus far at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, and it came close to yet another one Monday.

This one would have been the worst one yet.

After losing Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen and Vancouver Canucks center Henrik Sedin prior to and then captain Henrik Zetterberg of the Red Wings one game into the Olympics, Sweden goalie Henrik Lundqvist was crashed into by Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson during practice Monday.

Karlsson was trying to catch Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson as he was breaking toward the net and dove, his momentum carrying him into Lundqvist and taking the New York Rangers goalie out like he was a bowling pin.

Lundqvist needed a few minutes to recover, but ultimately was alright and should be in net for Sweden's quarterfinal game on Wednesday.

"I toe-picked and dived without really thinking about what happened," Karlsson said. "But it should be fine. I think it looked a bit worse than it was. Luckily, I'm not that heavy.

"I told him I was sorry, about 500 times.''

The thought of losing their star goaltender crossed the players' minds as Lundqvist lay on the ice afterward.

"We can laugh about it because it wasn't too serious," Red Wings forward Daniel Alfredsson said. "But it gave everybody a big scare."

Sweden enters the knockout phase of the tournament as the top seed, the only team to win all three of its preliminary round games in regulation. Yet the Swedes, much like fellow gold medal candidates Canada and Russia, had their issues in group play.

Sweden was up 4-0 in its opening game against the Czech Republic, but then laid back and allowed the Czechs back in it before winning 4-2. Sweden then won 1-0 against Switzerland, the only goal the Swiss have allowed in the tournament.

In Sweden's final preliminary game Saturday, Latvia had a clean breakaway down 4-3 midway through the third period. Lundqvist was forced to make a great save on Martins Karsums, and about a minute later Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler scored to give Sweden some breathing room in a 5-3 win.

In all three cases, Sweden allowed a lesser team to hang around, something that could be deadly in an elimination game.

As the top seed, Sweden will face the winner of the Slovenia-Austria qualification round game, which should provide a relatively easy path to the semifinals.

But Alfredsson was on the Swedish team that lost to Belarus in the quarterfinals at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, so he knows better than most not to take any team lightly when your tournament life is on the line.

And in a way, the so-called trouble Sweden had in the preliminary round should prepare it for that reality in the quarterfinals.

"I don't think I need to tell them anything about that after the group games we've had," Alfredsson said. "We are going to be the favorites, no doubt about that, so it's just about balancing our energy the right way.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Mats took a slash to the hand as well. He sat out practice.

bsi
02-17-2014, 03:02 PM
This olympics is gonna kill us.

Yankee Clipper
02-17-2014, 04:13 PM
This olympics is gonna kill us.

:bang:

IAmARanger18
02-17-2014, 04:20 PM
We're winning Gold!

metswon69
02-17-2014, 11:33 PM
We're winning Gold!

Don't tell bsi ;)

bsi
02-17-2014, 11:42 PM
We're winning Gold!

Don't tell bsi ;)

I heard this in 2010 too haha. We both gotta get there first tho.

nyr2002nyr
02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Now we have to hope the Hobbit isint hurt that bad

SLY WILLIAMS
02-18-2014, 12:20 PM

I'm glad he is sitting out but I'm still concerned about the injury. I sure do hope he is okay.

bsi
02-18-2014, 12:54 PM

I'm glad he is sitting out but I'm still concerned about the injury. I sure do hope he is okay.

Looked like maybe a broken hand or something, losing Zucs for any length of time would not be good for us. Another problem is that Nash has gone back to his post concussion play of being a perimeter guy, he hasn't played well so far this olympics. I wonder is Hagelin's injury just related to his mouth or is there something else?

redwhiteandblue
02-18-2014, 01:57 PM
I have a feeling Zucc will miss a little time but he has a week for swelling in his hand to go down. Reports were he couldn't grip a stick though.

Hagelin is fine, he will be out there the rest of the way.

Hank is fine, it was a small collision but nothing that's stopping him. We will really just have to wait and see how he plays.

Nash, not sure what to think. Nothing is really clicking for Canada so keep his minutes down and get him home in one piece,

bsi
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
I have a feeling Zucc will miss a little time but he has a week for swelling in his hand to go down. Reports were he couldn't grip a stick though.

Hagelin is fine, he will be out there the rest of the way.

Hank is fine, it was a small collision but nothing that's stopping him. We will really just have to wait and see how he plays.

Nash, not sure what to think. Nothing is really clicking for Canada so keep his minutes down and get him home in one piece,

Nash looked slow so far and timid. Hope that changes when he gets back but I have a feeling after all this travel these guys are gonna be flat, especially Nash and McDonagh as they should be continuing on.

metswon69
02-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 12m

Translated Norwegian report: Zuccarello with a broken hand but ready to play when NHL season resumes. Have not confirmed with Rangers yet.

bsi
02-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Hagelin with 2 goals today.

NYSPORTS98
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Zucarello has a broken hand. :(

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=705613.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Zucarello has a broken hand. :(

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=705613.

The doctor in Norway thinks he will be able to play soon. I pray that is correct. Last season he played most the year with a wrist that bothered him.

redwhiteandblue
02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Heal him up. Let Miller come up and get a few games. Maybe he forces someone out of the lineup. He has played very well down in Hartford.

Either way though, this year we can afford to let Mats sit at this point in the season. It looks like it's gonna be 3 weeks he's out I just read.

bsi
02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Nash is playing better today...though Canada should be planting this team.

IAmARanger18
02-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Cant wait to knock canada to the bronze medal game on friday!!

nyr2002nyr
02-19-2014, 04:42 PM

I just hope the boys can return home without any more injuries. Scary after seeing Tavares go down today

Redfish
02-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Heal him up. Let Miller come up and get a few games. Maybe he forces someone out of the lineup. He has played very well down in Hartford.

Either way though, this year we can afford to let Mats sit at this point in the season. It looks like it's gonna be 3 weeks he's out I just read.

Was this a typo, meant to read "we can't let Mats sit at this point in the season?" Mats has been the leader of the offense the past few months, by and large. I don't think we have enough cushion in the playoff race to miss a player like Mats for too long.

bsi
02-19-2014, 05:46 PM

You are about to get a true test for your forwards with Canada's Dmen. Canada's forwards need to score. USA looks like the hotter team right now but I wouldnt bet against Canada :)

nyr2002nyr
02-19-2014, 06:00 PM
You are about to get a true test for your forwards with Canada's Dmen. Canada's forwards need to score. USA looks like the hotter team right now but I wouldnt bet against Canada :)

I wouldnt touch the game with a 10 ft pole Men or Womens!!!!

J4KOP99
02-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Watching Suter-McD together is magical. Also, that Brown-Backes-Cally line is great. 3 captains.

J4KOP99
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
And as for USA v. Canada... in any big game like that, I always want the best player in the world to be on my team. I just have a bad feeling Crosby will eventually come alive.

redwhiteandblue
02-20-2014, 12:46 AM
Was this a typo, meant to read "we can't let Mats sit at this point in the season?" Mats has been the leader of the offense the past few months, by and large. I don't think we have enough cushion in the playoff race to miss a player like Mats for too long.

No, I just meant if he's going to run into injury now is better than later. Silver lining to a grey cloud, I agree he's probably our best forward this season.

nyr2002nyr
02-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Watching Suter-McD together is magical. Also, that Brown-Backes-Cally line is great. 3 captains.

The meat line!!!

SLY WILLIAMS
02-20-2014, 11:27 AM
For the first time in my life I feel bad for Islander fans. Looks like Tavares is out with a knee.

nyr2002nyr
02-20-2014, 12:27 PM
For the first time in my life I feel bad for Islander fans. Looks like Tavares is out with a knee.

Yeah Torn MCL and Menniscus. It could have been worse for them if it was Vanek!

SLY WILLIAMS
02-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Yeah Torn MCL and Menniscus. It could have been worse for them if it was Vanek!

Why do you think that would be worse?

What time is the Men's USA vs Canada?

nyr2002nyr
02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Why do you think that would be worse?

What time is the Men's USA vs Canada?

The season is pretty much over for them anyway they have fallen to far back. If Vanek gets hurt they cant deal him and since he doesnt want to stay they really need to get back a big chunk for him.

12 noon friday

SLY WILLIAMS
02-20-2014, 02:19 PM
The season is pretty much over for them anyway they have fallen to far back. If Vanek gets hurt they cant deal him and since he doesnt want to stay they really need to get back a big chunk for him.

12 noon friday

Oh I can see the logic in that thinking. Me personally I'd rather have a healthy Tavares for the future without a knee injury than get anything for Vanek as a rental. I guess its just different points of view.

Thanks for the time. I hope it is shown live on NBC.

ShadyOne
02-20-2014, 09:47 PM
How much would someone be willing to give up to then have a shot at giving Vanek a huge deal? He's good, but honestly watching a decent amount of him over the years, other than those early years in BUF, never really struck me as a special player. Numbers look good, but I don't know, something seems missing. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Anything happening to Taveras would be terrifying for any Islander fan, or anyone associated with the team.

bsi
02-20-2014, 10:10 PM
How much would someone be willing to give up to then have a shot at giving Vanek a huge deal? He's good, but honestly watching a decent amount of him over the years, other than those early years in BUF, never really struck me as a special player. Numbers look good, but I don't know, something seems missing. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Anything happening to Taveras would be terrifying for any Islander fan, or anyone associated with the team.

I dont think Vanek is what we need really..he looked like he was hurt in the olympics really or just invisible, either way NYI is gonna want a first round pick plus back for a rental, we gotta hang on to thay pick.

bsi
02-21-2014, 10:57 AM
With Sweden winning this am its guaranteed that a Ranger or two will win gold. Nash, Cally, McDonagh, Hagelin, Lundqvist all still in right now.

bsi
02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Nash once again looks good today..much faster.

J4KOP99
02-21-2014, 01:47 PM

It's hilarious that they have him on the pk

bsi
02-21-2014, 02:15 PM

It's hilarious that they have him on the pk

Nash doesn't get enough credit in our organization for his defensive play, its the reason he was picked for team Canada, he was the one who shut Ovie down last olympics.

J4KOP99
02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
He already had a great defensive play today in the first period when he chased down kessel.

bsi
02-21-2014, 03:25 PM
We're winning Gold!

Don't tell bsi ;)

Not in hockey! Haha...good game and beat the Finns for the Bronze!

bsi
02-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Nash vs Hendrik and Haggy for the gold!

IAmARanger18
02-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Zucc :(

nyr1980
02-22-2014, 11:50 AM

3-4 weeks is the prognosis.

Are they counting the time though from when he injured it or just from now?

SLY WILLIAMS
02-22-2014, 02:17 PM
3-4 weeks is the prognosis.

Are they counting the time though from when he injured it or just from now?

From the time it was injured so the hope is that it will be 2 weeks of NHL games.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-23-2014, 06:19 PM
I saw Nash skate harder and faster in 1 shift today than I have ever seen before. He even looked 20 pounds lighter.

nyr2002nyr
02-23-2014, 10:54 PM
I saw Nash skate harder and faster in 1 shift today than I have ever seen before. He even looked 20 pounds lighter.

Even back checking more then normal. Which I guess was good since he didn't do anything offensively

bsi
02-23-2014, 11:05 PM

Something tells me that the practice skates that Babcock was running got the guys in game shape, the first game or two he looked sluggish but after that he was moving a lot better. Nash is a much more complete player than any of us give him credit for but with guys like Hagelin, Callahan, Boyle etc we rarely use him on the PK though he probably should be.

bsi
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Even back checking more then normal. Which I guess was good since he didn't do anything offensively

Nash set up the Sharp goal in their 2-1 win over Latvia. I actually thought he played well the last couple games given the minutes he was alotted.

nyr2002nyr
02-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Nash set up the Sharp goal in their 2-1 win over Latvia. I actually thought he played well the last couple games given the minutes he was alotted.

Correct but 1 assist for that many games is below average

SLY WILLIAMS
02-24-2014, 12:01 AM
As far as the defensive stuff goes I think that is more on Rick than the organization (or fans). There have been times he did not give a full effort to get back on defense as a Ranger. If he skated like I saw on that one shift today he would be really hard to play against and Ranger fans would really rally behind him. That was very impressive. I did not even know he still had that extra gear.

bsi
02-24-2014, 12:54 AM

Correct but 1 assist for that many games is below average

He didnt get much ice time and to be fair the Canadian team was set up for defensive play as evident by their low scoring games. Nash was excellent on their penalty kill and had some close chances, hit the post today and near fooled hank on a long shot.

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 09:35 AM
He didnt get much ice time and to be fair the Canadian team was set up for defensive play as evident by their low scoring games. Nash was excellent on their penalty kill and had some close chances, hit the post today and near fooled hank on a long shot.

The US and CAN werent that far off on golas going into rd 2. You can spin it anyway you want but against some of those team that were prertty bad you would think he would have done more. He looktimid most of the games

bsi
02-24-2014, 01:01 PM

The US and CAN werent that far off on golas going into rd 2. You can spin it anyway you want but against some of those team that were prertty bad you would think he would have done more. He looktimid most of the games

Not sure if you watched all the games but everyone up here feels he made the most of his playing time. His first game wasnt his best but he got better as the tourney went on. Canada's offense was generated from the D. Go through the team stats and you will see that it was the D scoring, not Nash, not Crosby, Perry, etc. Not sure how you felt he wasn't playing well, he was singled out on Sportsnet today for being defensively responsible and generating scoring at the same time. Like I said before his first game and half he looked slow but came alive after that.

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Not sure if you watched all the games but everyone up here feels he made the most of his playing time. His first game wasnt his best but he got better as the tourney went on. Canada's offense was generated from the D. Go through the team stats and you will see that it was the D scoring, not Nash, not Crosby, Perry, etc. Not sure how you felt he wasn't playing well, he was singled out on Sportsnet today for being defensively responsible and generating scoring at the same time. Like I said before his first game and half he looked slow but came alive after that.

I watched most of the games. And some of them with some people that get paid to know the game pretty well. None have said anything like you mentioned

bsi
02-24-2014, 01:30 PM

I watched most of the games. And some of them with some people that get paid to know the game pretty well. None have said anything like you mentioned

Ya well I watched them all and he was fine in his role on the team. What were you expecting out of 3rd and 4th line minutes?

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Ya well I watched them all and he was fine in his role on the team. What were you expecting out of 3rd and 4th line minutes?

Like everyone else more then 1 assist in 6 games you can try and swing it anyway you want its below average

J4KOP99
02-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Nash was fine. How can you possibly single him out? If you're complaining about Nash then you can get on about 5 other world-class canadian players that didn't perform up to their expectations.

Nash also looked better and better each game and as BSI mentioned, played both ways and was very reliable in the defensive zone. Nash knew his role and did what he had to do to help the team. If they gave him first line mins, I guarantee you he would have better stats.

Either way, this is not as big a deal as you guys are making it out to be. Canada won gold, end of story.

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Nash was fine. How can you possibly single him out? If you're complaining about Nash then you can get on about 5 other world-class canadian players that didn't perform up to their expectations.

Nash also looked better and better each game and as BSI mentioned, played both ways and was very reliable in the defensive zone. Nash knew his role and did what he had to do to help the team. If they gave him first line mins, I guarantee you he would have better stats.

Either way, this is not as big a deal as you guys are making it out to be. Canada won gold, end of story.

I didnt single anyone out. This is still a rangers forum so i stuck to a ranger player. Yes plenty of them had bad games and underperformed no doubt. 3rd line mins or not he had 1 point in 6 games

bsi
02-24-2014, 02:29 PM

I didnt single anyone out. This is still a rangers forum so i stuck to a ranger player. Yes plenty of them had bad games and underperformed no doubt. 3rd line mins or not he had 1 point in 6 games

He wasn't there to carry the scoring, he was there in a shutdown penalty killing role and he did that well after the first game. Everything doesnt come down to points. The team scored 17 goals the whole tourney, they had 2 d in their top three in scoring, the team was built around defense and built perfrctly with everyone having a defined role.He played 6 mins one game some of it on the PK...what were you expecting?

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 02:34 PM
He wasn't there to carry the scoring, he was there in a shutdown penalty killing role and he did that well after the first game. Everything doesnt come down to points. The team scored 17 goals the whole tourney, they had 2 d in their top three in scoring, the team was built around defense and built perfrctly with everyone having a defined role.He played 6 mins one game some of it on the PK...what were you expecting?

So now you are telling me how many minutes he played in ONE game. Cherry pick a stat why dont ya

bsi
02-24-2014, 05:59 PM

So now you are telling me how many minutes he played in ONE game. Cherry pick a stat why dont ya

He was low minutes all olympics he was used as a 3rd - 4th line defensive forward, they rotated 7 forwards in their bottom 6....not cherry picking anything, you cant score from the bench. You obviously didnt even watch him play or even understand his role on the team, I dont even know why I have to discuss this it was pretty obvious to everyone else that he was playing fine after his first game for the role he had on the team. Crosby only had 1 point going into the finals. Nash had the same points as Perry, Sharp and even Kunitz who played the majority of the tourney on the first line. The team was built on defense, they were really really committed to it and it paid off for them all, Nash included.

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 07:40 PM
He was low minutes all olympics he was used as a 3rd - 4th line defensive forward, they rotated 7 forwards in their bottom 6....not cherry picking anything, you cant score from the bench. You obviously didnt even watch him play or even understand his role on the team, I dont even know why I have to discuss this it was pretty obvious to everyone else that he was playing fine after his first game for the role he had on the team. Crosby only had 1 point going into the finals. Nash had the same points as Perry, Sharp and even Kunitz who played the majority of the tourney on the first line. The team was built on defense, they were really really committed to it and it paid off for them all, Nash included.

Don't waste your time telling me I didn't watch or understand Mr effing expert. You might wanna learn to agree to disagree instead of forcing your opinion on everyone. You can say it 50 times but it doesn't make it true or make me think any different. I got 2 messages since this am from people telling me to not even disagree with you because you "have to be right" maybe I should have listened.

bsi
02-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Don't waste your time telling me I didn't watch or understand Mr effing expert. You might wanna learn to agree to disagree instead of forcing your opinion on everyone. You can say it 50 times but it doesn't make it true or make me think any different. I got 2 messages since this am from people telling me to not even disagree with you because you "have to be right" maybe I should have listened.

Meh...its no difference who's right. You have your opinion and I have mine but dont force yours on me and tell me to not voice mine. I could care less about who you got messages from, there's idiots everywhere on here, if you wanna be one of them be my guest.

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Meh...its no difference who's right. You have your opinion and I have mine but dont force yours on me and tell me to not voice mine. I could care less about who you got messages from, there's idiots everywhere on here, if you wanna be one of them be my guest.

You can never agree to disagree thats the problem. I watched a few of the games with Ryan Stewart director of pro scouting for the Blackhawks and Neil Smith. Both were shocked at how little some people we chipping in. I only said Nash as he was the one Ranger. So I wasn't just picking him out I just thought to the "Ranger board" he was the only one I needed to speak of.

bsi
02-24-2014, 09:12 PM

You can never agree to disagree thats the problem. I watched a few of the games with Ryan Stewart director of pro scouting for the Blackhawks and Neil Smith. Both were shocked at how little some people we chipping in. I only said Nash as he was the one Ranger. So I wasn't just picking him out I just thought to the "Ranger board" he was the only one I needed to speak of.

Why is it that I have to agree to disagree? Why is that up to me? You are still going on about it, I never mentioned Nash in my last post at all, it was dead to me and I was done talking about it, you are continuing to push your views on me by trying to impress everyone with your "friends" views. It's a very lame attempt in trying to be right in the argument, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

nyr2002nyr
02-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Why is it that I have to agree to disagree? Why is that up to me? You are still going on about it, I never mentioned Nash in my last post at all, it was dead to me and I was done talking about it, you are continuing to push your views on me by trying to impress everyone with your "friends" views. It's a very lame attempt in trying to be right in the argument, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

You are the one who said "everyone else". 1 person. I have nobody to "impress" but I was giving an outside view from people who are plenty closer to the game then we are. But I get it you are right. My bad