PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: How did Sloan never win COY?

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Jerry Sloan is arguably the best coach ever. Most will go with Red, or Riley, or Pop or Phil Jax because they got the hardware, but I believe that anybody who knows the game well will recognize Sloan as one of the greatest and as a guy who is at least as good as the very best the NBA has see.

He coaches 22 years in Utah, and several times had seasons that were worthy of the COY award.

Especially impressive:

90: 55 wins (his first full season as Jazz head coach marked a 15-game improvement, the award went to Pat Riley who got 63 wins out of LAL)
95: 60 wins (Del Harris won, helping improve LAL from 33 to 48 wins)
97: 64 wins (Pat Riley won, helping Miami improve from 48 to 61 wins)
98: 62 wins (Larry Bird won helping Ind improve from 39 wins to 58)
99: league best 37 wins (went to Mike Dunleavy, who coached Portland the year before, but helped them improve their winning percentage)
04: Jazz lost 3 HOF players (Stockton, Malone and Mark Jackson), but Sloan still got them to 42-40 despite most expecting them to finish with less than 20 wins. (Hubie Brown won COY, helping them improve from 28 wins to 50)
06: 41 wins, an improvement from 26 wins (COY went to Avery Johnson who coached the Mavs to 60 wins but that was only a 2-game improvement form the prior season).

In most instances, the guys who won really deserved it, but seriously... at some point you just HAVE to give it to him, no?

On a side note: Once Pop retires, will a team ever have a career coach like Sloan or Pop? It seems teams are too eager to fire a guy, while great coaches (Doc) have no interest in coaching a lottery team.

abe_froman
02-15-2014, 07:55 PM
because coy is a worst to first award,its a recognition for jumps in wins from year to year,since the jazz were always good...
you get it now?

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2014, 08:00 PM
because coy is a worst to first award,its a recognition for jumps in wins from year to year,since the jazz were always good...
you get it now?

Riley (Riley 3X)
Phil Jackson
Avery Johnson
Popovich (twice)
Mike Brown

Guys who win a lot of games with a team that regularly wins a lot of games, have won. I know what you are saying, and I agree, but there are many instances where a perennial winner gets it.

abe_froman
02-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Riley (Riley 3X)
Phil Jackson
Avery Johnson
Popovich (twice)
Mike Brown

Guys who win a lot of games with a team that regularly wins a lot of games, have won. I know what you are saying, and I agree, but there are many instances where a perennial winner gets it.
even there though to,

2 of pat's 3 saw 10 win jump over the previous year
phil's was for the historic season(going from 47 wins the year before, to 72 wins the year he won it)
and brown's award(cavs the year before-45 wins,the year he won it-66)

you are right sometime they awards to teams that are already winners,but those are extreme outliers.i totally agree with you that he should have at least one,and that its a ******** award ,but i know how they are awarded and so understand why he doesnt have one

phoenix_bladen
02-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Sam Mitchell has more COY than Sloan .....

king4day
02-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Did Phil Jackson ever win COY? I thought he didn't which, IMO would be an even bigger travesty despite having so much talent.

Kevj77
02-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Did Phil Jackson ever win COY? I thought he didn't which, IMO would be an even bigger travesty despite having so much talent.He won the year the Bulls got 72 wins.

ManRam
02-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Short answer: because it's the dumbest award in sports.

The criteria is so inconsistent, outside of the fact that it's some ****** criteria.

DallasTrilla23
02-15-2014, 09:41 PM
On a side note: Once Pop retires, will a team ever have a career coach like Sloan or Pop? It seems teams are too eager to fire a guy, while great coaches (Doc) have no interest in coaching a lottery team.

I think Rick Carlisle is gonna become that for the mavs. I dont see Cuban firing him any time soon

KnicksorBust
02-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Better question:

How does Pop not have 8?

TheMightyHumph
02-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Because Sloan never got enough votes to win.

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Because Sloan never got enough votes to win.

For some reason I feel this comment should have a sig featuring the silhouette of a turkey? lol

Drummond#1
02-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Because the NBA is trendy and often goes with what is hot rather than what's consistent (aside from Pop... But he may be arguably the GOAT for coaches.)

surf and turf
02-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Because the NBA is trendy and often goes with what is hot rather than what's consistent (aside from Pop... But he may be arguably the GOAT for coaches.)

He was a great coach . Maybe at the time voters thought the Jazz were better then they actually were. They did have possibly the best PF of all time and Im not sure you could find a PG that fit the team better no matter who you pick. But besides that they were nothing special. They had a knockdown shooter i can't remember his name. Chewed a straw like Cedric Maxwell. He was a gamer.

3RDASYSTEM
02-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Its really no shocker to see being that PHIL has as many as SAM MITCH I think if im not mistaking and SLOAN/L BROWN should have at least 4 combined, at the very least, how SLOAN didn't win one in the 97 or 98 season is baffling, or even 99' when MALONE stole another mvp award from somebody like a DUNCAN/SHAQ/IVERSON

Hawkeye15
02-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Short answer: because it's the dumbest award in sports.

The criteria is so inconsistent, outside of the fact that it's some ****** criteria.

this

b@llhog24
02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Cause it's a stupid award.