PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo: I want to retire a Knick

jsthornton7
02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 2m
Melo says he still wants to retire a Knick and his first priority is to stay.

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk 14m
Carmelo says his "first priority" is to stay with Knicks. Says he wants to hear from them legit plan and if so he sounds like he stays.

BklynKnicks3
02-14-2014, 04:26 PM
No suprise there

Slug3
02-14-2014, 04:41 PM
First priority, but didn't say his only priority. Anyway I think he stays. He tried so hard to get there so why would he leave.

NYSpirit1
02-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 2m
Melo says he still wants to retire a Knick and his first priority is to stay.

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk 14m
Carmelo says his "first priority" is to stay with Knicks. Says he wants to hear from them legit plan and if so he sounds like he stays.

He also said he'll absolutely take less money to stay if it'll help the team.

I hope all the dumb idiots who were claiming 'Melo is gone' read this. It was so stupid. Why is he going to leave the greatest city in the world? To go to the Lakers and play with a bunch of bums under D'Antoni with a 90-year-old sidekick? To go to Chicago to play with a guy who hasn't played in 2 seasons?

Right.

Best course of action is to re-sign for less and wait for 2015 when they have cap for Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tony Parker or Marc Gasol.

smith&wesson
02-14-2014, 04:46 PM
cool, Id like to see a revamped knick team built around melo. . they need to move stat asap.

RLundi
02-14-2014, 04:47 PM

I hope all the dumb idiots who were claiming 'Melo is gone' read this. It was so stupid. Why is he going to leave the greatest city in the world? To go to the Lakers and play with a bunch of bums under D'Antoni with a 90-year-old sidekick? To go to Chicago to play with a guy who hasn't played in 2 seasons?

Right.

Best course of action is to re-sign for less and wait for 2015 when they have cap for Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tony Parker or Marc Gasol.

Wow, you sound very mad.

He might still leave New York. A quote in February means absolutely nothing. What else is he gonna say?

I think it's 50-50. If there is a better situation for him to win, he'll take it, even if it isn't in the purported "greatest city in the world."

ghettosean
02-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Props to him not many are willing to stick around for a rebuild to try to get a ring these days. More people are just forming super teams for easy ships... Good on Melo! And lucky for Dolan.... lol.

Goose17
02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
"I want to win a championship. If I have to become a free agent in order to do that, then that's what I have to do."

Hearing him say money isn't an issue was interesting.

NYSpirit1
02-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Wow, you sound very mad.

He might still leave New York. A quote in February means absolutely nothing. What else is he gonna say?

I think it's 50-50. If there is a better situation for him to win, he'll take it, even if it isn't in the purported "greatest city in the world."

You're right, I'm annoyed I have to hear about this crap as a Knick fan every other day all season long. It's just so stupid.

How is it 50-50? What are his options?

LA? With D'Antoni and Kobe who sucks and is hurt now? Chicago? With Derrick Rose, who may Grant Hill the rest of his career? Dallas? With a 36-year-old Nowitzki?

Where are his options? The Heat, Clippers, Rockets, Thunder - whatever, aren't options.

People just like hype. This forum likes hype. But what everyone has failed to mention is there is not ONE team with cap space that would do any better for Melo than the Knicks would. And in that case, why wouldn't he just stay home and wait a year for the Knicks to have cap in 2015?

And yes, NY is the greatest city in the world. You'd have to live there or near there to know. There's a surplus of marketing opportunities that don't exist anywhere else and a lifestyle that is lavish.

It's not 50-50. More like 90-10.

xxplayerxx23
02-14-2014, 04:54 PM
"I want to win a championship. If I have to become a free agent in order to do that, then that's what I have to do."

Yes but he wouldn't take anything under 16.5 and I doubt he would even go that low

J4KOP99
02-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Keep digging that hole, Carmelo

lakersiznumber1
02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
You're right, I'm annoyed I have to hear about this crap as a Knick fan every other day all season long. It's just so stupid.

LA? With D'Antoni and Kobe who sucks and is hurt now? Chicago? With Derrick Rose, who may Grant Hill the rest of his career? Dallas? With a 36-year-old Nowitzki?

Where are his options? The Heat, Clippers, Rockets, Thunder - whatever, aren't options.

People just like hype. This forum likes hype. But what everyone has failed to mention is there is not ONE team with cap space that would do any better for Melo than the Knicks would. And in that case, why wouldn't he just stay home and wait a year for the Knicks to have cap in 2015?

And yes, NY is the greatest city in the world. You'd have to live there or near there to know. There's a surplus of marketing opportunities that don't exist anywhere else and a lifestyle that is lavish.

what the hell are you crying about lol you compare the knicks to lakers and chicago are u serious.

first off if u been living under a rock lakers are tanking to get exum or wiggins. On may 20th lakers will be successful in rebuilding by adding a new face to the organization. By adding stevenson or deng in free agency will bring a dangerous team. Then in 2015 bring in kevin love who is a lock 2 come 2 la. You knick fans thinks hes coming 2 play wid melo lol dont kill me. What plans they got rondo lol Rondo isn't on crack. miami and indy will run the east 4 the next 4 yrs good luck staying in nyc melo. Knicks best chance of a ring was with ewing it will be yrs yes yrs before knick win anything lol hater

xxplayerxx23
02-14-2014, 05:15 PM
I can see him going to Chicago. But Chicago really wanna trade taj?

bucketss
02-14-2014, 05:17 PM
i wonder why he left denver,

city > winning for melo.

bucketss
02-14-2014, 05:18 PM
I can see him going to Chicago. But Chicago really wanna trade taj?

is taj all it would take?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-14-2014, 05:19 PM
First priority, but didn't say his only priority. Anyway I think he stays. He tried so hard to get there so why would he leave.

Melo wants to win a championship... and the way this team is set up the light @ the end of the tunnel is 2015. Melo doesn't have time for all that, he need's to win now.

c.c.
02-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Ok so he is gonna go sign else where then return to the Knicks when he's old then retire there. That's what he means right?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-14-2014, 05:20 PM
i wonder why he left denver,

city > winning for melo.

FOH. Amar'e @ that time and the hope of Chris Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anything the Nugget's had to offer.

Now, with that said. Things don't always go as planned.

NYSpirit1
02-14-2014, 05:26 PM
what the hell are you crying about lol you compare the knicks to lakers and chicago are u serious.

first off if u been living under a rock lakers are tanking to get exum or wiggins. On may 20th lakers will be successful in rebuilding by adding a new face to the organization. By adding stevenson or deng in free agency will bring a dangerous team. Then in 2015 bring in kevin love who is a lock 2 come 2 la. You knick fans thinks hes coming 2 play wid melo lol dont kill me. What plans they got rondo lol Rondo isn't on crack. miami and indy will run the east 4 the next 4 yrs good luck staying in nyc melo. Knicks best chance of a ring was with ewing it will be yrs yes yrs before knick win anything lol hater

Please speak coherent English.

The Lakers aren't bad enough to land a top pick. They're currently 5th worst, which has by far been their best standing. When Kobe Bean comes back, you're likely to get more wins. So don't flatter yourself, your not getting a top pick.

The Lakers are doomed and have traded as many picks as the Knicks have.

NYSpirit1
02-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Melo wants to win a championship... and the way this team is set up the light @ the end of the tunnel is 2015. Melo doesn't have time for all that, he need's to win now.

He doesn't have time for a year?

Makes a lot of sense. :sigh:

Tell me, what team that's available to sign with is he going to where he will win the 2014-2015 championship?

Lakers + Giants
02-14-2014, 05:30 PM

The Lakers aren't bad enough to land a top pick. They're currently 5th worst, which has by far been their best standing. When Kobe Bean comes back, you're likely to get more wins. So don't flatter yourself, your not getting a top pick.

You are completely clueless. Lakers are going to get a top pick. .

rhd420
02-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Melo doesn't want to win a championship - he wants to get PAID and thus retire in one of the largest NBA markets and to this article retire a Knick

mjt20mik
02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Lets be real. If you played competitive sports you would know that no one likes losing. Melo wants to win, and right now he's just saying the right things to get the media off his case. If he got an opportunity to be on a perennial contender, trust me he'd do it. This summer should be interesting.

rhd420
02-14-2014, 05:35 PM

to a point, yes the Lakers have traded several picks and ONE high pick even in this class will not "turn back the clock" on Kobe, fix the coaching issues NOR front office turmoil.

The Lakers WERE a great organization, Kobe WAS a great player - this is a present and future league in which even the Lakers can NOT get a free agent to play for them. You can say the same for the Knicks which is pretty sad BUT the bright spot is Kobe WILL retire and come off the books in 3 seasons, Melo, if he signs long term - are Knick fans going to be OK with that?

TorontoHuskies
02-14-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the Reporter misheard him..he actually said "I want to retire a dick". Logically this makes a lot more sense as he's clearly behaved like one and that's why all you Knicks fans are still worried about him leaving.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-14-2014, 05:37 PM
He doesn't have time for a year?

Makes a lot of sense. :sigh:

Tell me, what team that's available to sign with is he going to where he will win the 2014-2015 championship?

I agree, but I'm sayin Melo may not want to "waste" next season as a prime year. And who knows what the Knicks will do in 2015 when it does come.

Goose17
02-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Melo doesn't want to win a championship - he wants to get PAID and thus retire in one of the largest NBA markets and to this article retire a Knick

He literally just said today that his goal is a championship and he'll do anything to get one, even going into FA.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Well... This is an argument, neither of us will win. I can show you videos and quotes of Melo talkin about how bad he wants to win a championship. Can you show me proof where he said what you're saying? I believe Melo wants to win a Chip.

rhd420
02-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Lets be real. If you played competitive sports you would know that no one likes losing. Melo wants to win, and right now he's just saying the right things to get the media off his case. If he got an opportunity to be on a perennial contender, trust me he'd do it. This summer should be interesting.

I'm sure CP3, Durant, Aldridge etc are looking at their paychecks thinking YES I'll give this up to get a ring at the prime of my career and marketability where I don't have to share the spotlight

That's what makes LeBron remarkable in that sense, he still is more marketable than Wade whose won a title in Miami. Melo is going to get paid - dominate the ball and cash his check, what makes you think that he changes his stripes now?

RLundi
02-14-2014, 05:42 PM

All of those options you just listed are much better than New York lol. The Knicks have nothing. No cap space, no desirable players, a sorta lame coach and no draft picks. If Melo wanted to leave for any of the above destinations, I don't think anyone would blame him.

rhd420
02-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Well... This is an argument, neither of us will win. I can show you videos and quotes of Melo talkin about how bad he wants to win a championship. Can you show me proof where he said what you're saying? I believe Melo wants to win a Chip.

As you said, this is one you NOR I can win because any video will be politically correct for Melo, even when he was with the Nuggets. Melo gets the max deal and stays with the Knicks prohibiting any major free agents to be on board with the team, hey Kobe's contract spoke volumes for the Lakers, he doesn't want to win - he wants to retire a Lakers as opposed to taking a cut and freeing up future cap space for a major free agent. Melo will do the same ...

lakersiznumber1
02-14-2014, 05:53 PM

lol knicks fans

The Lakers aren't bad enough to land a top pick but yet they're currently 5th worst lol does that even make sense this yr draft 1 embiid 2 parker 3 wiggins 4 exum 5 randle 6 eniss or 7 smart lol no good draft pick come on you making yourself look bad. Another fact when has the 2nd worst team ever drafted number 1 or 2 it a hell of a long time 10 years ago ask the cavs about that.

The problem with your fantasy is no one wants to play for knicks . Players such as k love and irving already said they would love to play 4 the lakers. If melo is smart he should go 2 chicago or lakers

DreamShaker
02-14-2014, 05:58 PM
He wants to hear a plan? From the Knicks?? He's gone.

mjt20mik
02-14-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm sure CP3, Durant, Aldridge etc are looking at their paychecks thinking YES I'll give this up to get a ring at the prime of my career and marketability where I don't have to share the spotlight

That's what makes LeBron remarkable in that sense, he still is more marketable than Wade whose won a title in Miami. Melo is going to get paid - dominate the ball and cash his check, what makes you think that he changes his stripes now?

Everyone wants money. However, for Melo, it has come to a point where he wants to win. He is in his prime, and will command a pretty decent paycheck wherever he decides to go. I just think he will think about the situation a bit more as compared to just signing for the money.

NY is in a whole load of problems (cap, flexibility, and picks) for the foreseeable future. I just don't think there is enough there that will make him stay.

Crackadalic
02-14-2014, 06:12 PM

How is Deng coming to LA who is looking for a pay day. If melo does go to LA he has Kobe making 24-25 mil next two years and Nash making 9 mil unless they use the stretch provision

Yes they have their lottery pick but let's say where the lakers actually are in the lottery. For all we know Kobe comes back and wins game hurting for a high draft pick

How exactly is LA getting Love in 2015 if their tied to to Kobe and melo alone and love us looking for max dollars.

Melo can leave and go to LA for all I care but your points sound illogical as hell bro

TorontoHuskies
02-14-2014, 06:20 PM

Forbes Best/Worst Cities
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2013/08/28/the-best-and-worst-cities-on-earth/

east fb knicks
02-14-2014, 09:44 PM
lmao love isn't going to the lakers the lakers are destined to suck for the next 5 years atleast you guys won your championships just get over it some times a dynasty ends and you have to rebuild just look at the Celtics shyt happens get over it

DillyDill
02-14-2014, 09:47 PM
lmao love isn't going to the lakers the lakers are destined to suck for the next 5 years atleast you guys won your championships just get over it some times a dynasty ends and you have to rebuild just look at the Celtics shyt happens get over it

So u got him going to the knicks?

east fb knicks
02-14-2014, 09:50 PM
So u got him going to the knicks?

maybe or the bulls but those are the only two options I see him going to

jsthornton7
02-14-2014, 10:23 PM
I don't want Carmelo anywhere near the Lakers. He will be 31 by the time the playoffs start in 2014-2015. We're trying to build for the future, not watch another star decline over the next 5 years.

Stunner
02-14-2014, 10:34 PM
If money isn't an option Melo better be taking around 70 million and if it's really not an issue he could just sign with Chicago on a 4 year deal instead of a 5 year where taj would have to be moved I think .

NBA_Starter
02-14-2014, 10:39 PM
I figured he would follow that money trail and I can't say that I blame him.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
02-14-2014, 10:46 PM

Right.

Lol

DillyDill
02-14-2014, 10:47 PM
maybe or the bulls but those are the only two options I see him going to

I can see Love as a realistic option for NY if y'all can keep Mell...I can see a Big 3 of Rondo-Mell-Love in 15

BALLER R
02-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Basically saying if you guys don't show me a good enough plan that gets me a ring I'm out

Dade County
02-14-2014, 10:49 PM

I took this, as he is gone... And him saying he will stay, was just to have the media shut up, and no distraction around the team.

Because the media was ready to jump all over him, this all star break.

cmellofan15
02-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Can't say I understand anything he's trying to get at here. Says he wants to retire a knick but contradicts himself by saying he wants to win a championship that they aren't in position to provide for him (and never really have been). To me it just sounds like he wants to be the man on a team that can make promises they won't keep.

DR_1
02-14-2014, 11:11 PM
He wants to hear a plan? From the Knicks?? He's gone.

:laugh2:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-14-2014, 11:28 PM
lol we'll see. But he'll never win a ring there.

cmellofan15
02-14-2014, 11:40 PM
lol we'll see. But he'll never win a ring there.

I think he would be better suited with the Lakers but I'm not really too sure about the whole Jim Buss situation. Still, I would trust him more than NY

sep11ie
02-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Everyone gives Morey all this credit for being such a great GM... I don't see how, he GM'd the Knicks into being a joke of a franchise.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-14-2014, 11:42 PM
If the Lakers sign a 30 year old Mello for four or five years Ill put a gun to my head.

But his statement is brilliant. He sets it up to put the blame on the Knicks if he leaves. He will just say "I told them I would stay If they had a good plan. They don't"

koreancabbage
02-14-2014, 11:55 PM
If the Lakers sign a 30 year old Mello for four or five years Ill put a gun to my head.

But his statement is brilliant. He sets it up to put the blame on the Knicks if he leaves. He will just say "I told them I would stay If they had a good plan. They don't"

probably what his PR man told him to say. can't put the blame on Melo if they don't win and if he leaves because the team sucks - can't blame him either. Talk about putting yourself in a neutral position. fans won't blame him and will blame the GM of the Knicks if 1) they don't win a championship 2) won't hate him if he leaves bc the GM couldn't do anything.

FlashBolt
02-15-2014, 01:54 AM
Bad. He'll never win a ring because NYK management are incompetent. Why is J.R Smith still on this team? Why haven't they amnestied Amare? Why do they keep paying veterans who are there just to warm up the seats? No one knows. Carmelo needs to find a superstar who can help him with his intangibles such as defense, passing, and drawing offense.

HoopsMachine
02-15-2014, 02:45 AM
He would be a perfect fit in Chicago, best defensive team in the league with bottom 3 offense. Also his isolation offense would fit perfectly with them since they play at such a slow pace.

D_Rose1118
02-15-2014, 03:00 AM

Right.

leave the 2nd greatest city*

ManningToTyree
02-15-2014, 04:05 AM

Right.

leave the 2nd greatest city* he doesn't play for the celtics :confused:

Drummond#1
02-15-2014, 04:31 AM
**** Melo. I hope he retires in China like Marburry and the other Knicks retards.

Leftcoast_yg
02-15-2014, 07:16 AM
I recall lebron and or dwight saying the same in all star weekend

RLundi
02-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Forbes Best/Worst Cities
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2013/08/28/the-best-and-worst-cities-on-earth/

Lol this article just amounts to Canada being great and Africa/the Middle East sucking.

I took it with a grain of salt.

Badluck33
02-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Melo said the same thing 15 months before leaving denver.

Carmelo Anthony is a Mercenary.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Right.

He said win a championship. Not be a consistent 3 seed and likely 2nd round exit. If Love goes elsewhere (LA), none of those players paired up with Melo in 2015 are taking them anywhere deep in the playoffs, assuming LBJ isn't out west.

NY's best chance is to sell off this season, dump everyone you can not named Melo and Hardaway for picks, then hope Melo sees that the Knicks have a chance at a future with the picks acquired and cap space in 2015. That is if he's willing to waste the 1st year of his new contract to see who may or may not join him. He's not getting younger and neither are any if those FA's.

I still think he returns, and his version of taking less money is 5/110 instead of 5/124 or whatever his max is. Nothing that truly helps the franchise.

porkchopx
02-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Melo not retire a knick.He is leaving and everyone knows it and dont blame knicks that amare knees did not hold up.Knicks gave up alot for him and if he leave and we get nothing thats the sad part.Think he leave win rings and want to come back to retire not going to happen.Newyorkers not having that or dolan.Retire in denver

Ill21
02-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Melo said the same thing 15 months before leaving denver.

Carmelo Anthony is a Mercenary.

um link?

Goose17
02-15-2014, 12:12 PM
LOL at Melo being described as a mercenary. That made me chuckle, interesting word choice.

blahblahyoutoo
02-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Lol this article just amounts to Canada being great and Africa/the Middle East sucking.

well, africa and the mid east do suck, but canada def isn't that great.

blahblahyoutoo
02-15-2014, 12:39 PM
agreed. esp the last sentence about him taking less money which just means less than max, but still more than what other teams can offer.
which will allow him to say, "hey, i didn't take max. can't blame me anymore."

He said win a championship. Not be a consistent 3 seed and likely 2nd round exit. If Love goes elsewhere (LA), none of those players paired up with Melo in 2015 are taking them anywhere deep in the playoffs, assuming LBJ isn't out west.

NY's best chance is to sell off this season, dump everyone you can not named Melo and Hardaway for picks, then hope Melo sees that the Knicks have a chance at a future with the picks acquired and cap space in 2015. That is if he's willing to waste the 1st year of his new contract to see who may or may not join him. He's not getting younger and neither are any if those FA's.

I still think he returns, and his version of taking less money is 5/110 instead of 5/124 or whatever his max is. Nothing that truly helps the franchise.

TorontoHuskies
02-15-2014, 04:42 PM

Forbes is actually based in NY and the fact that they left out their own city says something doesn't it? Also, They said good stuff about Australia to which is probably one of the only other countries I'd want to live (although they get everything late and have weird censorship laws).

TorontoHuskies
02-15-2014, 04:52 PM
well, africa and the mid east do suck, but canada def isn't that great.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/28/travel/melbourne-most-livable-city/

I'm pretty sure Canada and Australia are just awesome no reason to be jealous. Having said that Toronto and Vancouver are really expensive so it's even more impressive they made it that high when it costs so much.

majmarcus
02-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Nope! Not buying it. He's only sayin this so he wont get traded to a squad that pretty much guts itself to land him. When he becomes a free agent, he will then walk away to a team HE chooses to play for thats championship ready with his addition. Melo is lying man...you heard it hear first. Dude dont wanna retire no damn Knickerbocker!!

Goose17
02-15-2014, 07:07 PM
One of these days, a guy of his caliber is going to sign for the minimum with a non-playoff team on a one year deal, just to **** with everybody and mess with our heads.

FriedTofuz
02-16-2014, 04:47 AM
He wants to stay but come on, what do the knicks have to offer and bank on to improve. They're a lotto team with melo and No assets/no capspace for years to come. THeir only hope is Shumpert/ Hardaway to form into good players

east fb knicks
02-16-2014, 06:20 PM
He wants to stay but come on, what do the knicks have to offer and bank on to improve. They're a lotto team with melo and No assets/no capspace for years to come. THeir only hope is Shumpert/ Hardaway to form into good players

lmao we will have enough for melo and two maxes in 1 year :facepalm: