PDA

View Full Version : Report: If the Bucks get the No. 1 pick they are leaning toward Joel Embiid

spreadeagle
02-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Larry Saunders reading this somewhere going what in the ****! lol
General managers fall in love with size.

Every year as the draft gets closer players 6’10 and up — even project big guys — climb draft boards everywhere because at the end of the day they have the one thing that is both important in the NBA and can’t be taught. The big men may be more mobile now, asked to do different things than eras gone by, but the cliché of “tall and good beats small and good” still pulls at GMs.

Enter the Milwaukee Bucks, who have the worst record in the NBA right now and when the NBA Draft Lottery rolls around likely will have the most Ping-Pong balls (which gets them basically a 25 percent shot at the top pick).

Jeff Goodman of ESPN says if the Bucks win the lottery, they likely go with the Kansas big man (at tip to Eye on Basketball).

Bucks GM John Hammond will choose the player he thinks has the best chance of being a star. Right now it’s a three-man race, but sources indicate Hammond loves the skill, size and rapid progression of Embiid. The Cameroon native is new to the game and has tremendous upside. Embiid can help the Bucks on both ends of the court, and while he recently told ESPN.com he might return to school, most feel that he’ll be in June’s draft.

The highly trusted DraftExpress also has Embiid at the top of its draft board right now, which is a good sign a number of teams are thinking the same thing.

What makes this draft class special is that Andrew Wiggins and his athletic potential, Jabari Parker and his ability to score in a variety of ways, and Kentucky big man Julius Randle all have backers. It’s possible any of them go No. 1, depending on who wins the draft lottery. Then there are guys after that like Dante Exum (of Australia) and Aaron Gordon (Arizona) that some scouts think could be special as well.

Embiid has said he will seriously consider staying in school for another year, but as I’ve said before a lot of guys have said that until they really think about the money on the table. That’s hard to walk away from.

If Embiid comes out, I’d be surprised if he goes any lower than No. 2.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 06:38 PM
even with Sanders there (they could move him potentially), if you believe he is the player with the best chance at stardom, you take him.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Good Parker for Orlando

KniCks4LiFe
02-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Antetepmko [however you spell it] and Embiid?

DillyDill
02-13-2014, 06:45 PM
I love skilled Bigs gr8 pick if it happens

Wade#Heat
02-13-2014, 07:12 PM
It wouldn't make sense for a team, who doesn't even know for sure if they will get the first overall pick or not, to publicly announce who they are even pondering drafting.. I see no genuine interest... Most likely a smokescreen.

NBA_Starter
02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
They should probably just take BPA and worry about fit later.

Jamiecballer
02-13-2014, 10:12 PM
would be my choice as well. to be that good and still learning the game is incredible.

TorontoHuskies
02-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Mistake dominant C's are a thing of the past. Look at all the teams who are winning championships with average C's. Besides Wiggins will be the best player eventually despite his inconsistent play in college.

tredigs
02-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Mistake dominant C's are a thing of the past. Look at all the teams who are winning championships with average C's. Besides Wiggins will be the best player eventually despite his inconsistent play in college.

Agreed. **** taking a project big and all that goes into it; including much higher inherent injury risk. Especially in a draft with a player like Wiggins who has such enormous talent pouring out of him on both ends. He's struggling a bit, but I've now seen enough of him to realize what the hype was about. This kid is going to be a massive star someday not too far away.

TorontoHuskies
02-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Agreed. **** taking a project big and all that goes into it; including much higher inherent injury risk. Especially in a draft with a player like Wiggins who has such enormous talent pouring out of him on both ends. He's struggling a bit, but I've now seen enough of him to realize what the hype was about. This kid is going to be a massive star someday not too far away.

Another thing people gotta realize about Kansas is that their system completely caters to big-men. I've watched most of their games and i'd say about 80-90% of their plays are run through a big man. It's gotta be hard for a guy like Wiggins to be consistent in a system that not only avoids giving him the ball but when he gets it his own teammates are usually clogging the driving lanes. I know he cares a lot about winning and Kansas may do it but I wish he had choose somewhere he could showcase himself better.

Bostonjorge
02-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Embiid is LA bound. It's already been written. Unless LA gets the 1st or 2nd.

2-ONE-5
02-13-2014, 11:34 PM
Good Parker for Orlando

hopefully he comes to Philly but apparently we like Wiggins more not that its a big deal

SPURSFAN1
02-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Can't teach height.

Stunner
02-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Makes no sense to draft players at a position that's filled . Wiggins , Parker , Smart and Ennis should be their picks .

J4KOP99
02-14-2014, 12:18 AM
let me write this down so I can remember it in june

THE MTL
02-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Just take the consensus #1 pick. Bucks need to set a flame to their team.

MDD
02-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Add Content

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Bucks need the BPA. Is that Embiid? Too early to tell, but he's gonna be one of the top 3 picks in the draft.

Vinny642
02-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Parker is still my favorite out of the three

TorontoHuskies
02-14-2014, 01:04 AM
Wow Ennis wasn't even in mocks like a month ago and now he's #5 ahead of Smart and Randle.

TorontoHuskies
02-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Parker is still my favorite out of the three

No D and he's been shooting worse as of late (Plays C or PF most games now because of it). I'm taking Wiggins all day because of his potential and the fact that Bill Self system isn't designed for a player like him.

Shammyguy3
02-14-2014, 01:25 AM
Makes no sense to draft players at a position that's filled . Wiggins , Parker , Smart and Ennis should be their picks .

Makes no sense to not draft the Best Player Available. Especially if you're as bad as MIL is. If teams drafted guys based on the need to fill a position, the Bulls would've easily taken Beasley over Rose. The Bulls would have drafted a backup center the last two years. And that's just our team Stunner. Countless other examples out there.

You always draft the guy you think will the the best player. Everything else will work itself out after the fact.

hornetsfansydne
02-14-2014, 01:48 AM

Exum will go before Smart and Ennis

PraiseJesus
02-14-2014, 02:05 AM
Add Content

Agreed

amak316
02-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Sounds like a leak from Embiid's future agent/PR team. I can't see anyone under any situation ever in an NBA front office even discussing this at this point in the season with any reporter on the record.

Stunner
02-14-2014, 02:21 AM
Makes no sense to not draft the Best Player Available. Especially if you're as bad as MIL is. If teams drafted guys based on the need to fill a position, the Bulls would've easily taken Beasley over Rose. The Bulls would have drafted a backup center the last two years. And that's just our team Stunner. Countless other examples out there.

You always draft the guy you think will the the best player. Everything else will work itself out after the fact.

Still doesn't make sense for them they already have talented bigs they need more wings and guards .

Stunner
02-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Exum will go before Smart and Ennis

Forgot about him but yea I would be better off them getting him

Stunner
02-14-2014, 02:23 AM
Bucks were a playoff team last year and not this year just by losing two dynamic guards and injuries . It's obviously knight and Mayo aren't the answers .