PDA

View Full Version : Who is on your Mount Rushmore?

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Ok: You Alltime Rushmore

Your current player's Rushmore

And the Rushmore for each position all-time.

GO!

bagwell368
02-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Position: Hakeem, TD, Bird, Jordan, Magic
All time: Jordan, Jabbar, Russell, TD
Now: Durant, James, Love, CP3, George

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
My Mount Rushmore would be:
Michael Jordan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Lebron James

If we're talking all-time per position, it would be:
PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF Lebron James
PF Tim Duncan
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

But if it was my personal preference, I'd swap out Kareem with Hakeem Olajuwon, by far my all-time favorite player. I just can't justify putting Hakeem ahead of Kareem on any all-time list, as much as I'd love to.

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2014, 12:05 PM
All time: Kareem, Jordan, Wilt and... Magic.

Current? LBJ, Durant, CP3 and I don't know.

PG: Magic, Stockton, Oscar and Isiah Thomas (though CP3 will be ahead of him soon)

SG: Jordan, West, Drexler and Kobe

SF: Bird, LBJ, Pippen and Durant?

PF: Duncan, Malone, Barkley and Garnett

C: Kareem, Wilt Hakeem and... I guess Shaw deserves it, but I want to give that last one to Russell.

Master Mind
02-13-2014, 12:22 PM
MJ, Magic, Kareem, Lebron

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Oh... Okay, I was totally confused you said "position." I assumed you meant one player per position, but you wanted a Mount Rushmore for each position. Here's how each of mine would look....

PG: Magic, Stockton, Oscar and Frazier (would put Paul ahead of him by the end of his career)

SG: Jordan, West, Kobe and Wade

SF: Lebron, Bird, Erving and Havlicek

PF: Duncan, Garnett, Barkley and Dirk

C: Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt and Shaq

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
SF: Bird, LBJ, Pippen and Durant?

I mostly agreed with your other positions except for maybe one guy in each, but you got this one way wrong. Erving's the clear No. 3 on that list. The fourth guy, though, would be a very interesting debate. You could make a very strong case for Havlicek, Pippen, Baylor or Worthy. Pierce and Durant could also make decent arguments in that discussion.

Walt
02-13-2014, 12:32 PM
All Time: Jordan, LeBron, Magic, Kareem

Today: LeBron, Durant, Paul, Dirk

PG: Magic, Stockton, Robertson, Kidd

SG: Jordan, Kobe, West, Wade

SF: LeBron, Bird, Erving, Durant

PF: Duncan, Dirk, Garnett, Malone

C: Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Hakeem (hate having to leave Wilt out)

ATX
02-13-2014, 12:48 PM
My Mount Rushmore would be:
Michael Jordan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Lebron James

If we're talking all-time per position, it would be:
PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF Lebron James
PF Tim Duncan
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

But if it was my personal preference, I'd swap out Kareem with Hakeem Olajuwon, by far my all-time favorite player. I just can't justify putting Hakeem ahead of Kareem on any all-time list, as much as I'd love to.

Mine is exactly this.

NoahH
02-13-2014, 12:50 PM
All time: Kareem, Magic, Jordan, Wilt

Current: LeBron, Durant, CP3, Curry

PG: Magic, Stockton, Big O & Bob Cousy
SG: Jordan, West, Drexler & Kobe
SF: Bird, LBJ, Pippen & Dr J
PF: Barkley, Garnett, Duncan & Malone
C: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell & Hakeem the Dream

KniCks4LiFe
02-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Jordan
West
Magic
Bird

OlivaThor
02-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Jordan, Jabbar, Wilt, Shaq .. Next are Lebron, Hakeem, Magic

celtNYpatsHeels
02-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Jordan Bird Magic Duncan

JPS
02-13-2014, 12:54 PM
All time- Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, MJ
Current- LBJ, Durant, Paul, not sure

PG Magic, Stockton, Isaiah, big O
SG MJ, Kobe, West, Wade
SF Bird, LBJ, DrJ, Pippen
PF Duncan, Barkley, Malone, Dirk
C Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, Dream

Mount rushmore should be one for centers and one for othe positions. Centers dominated the game like no other but Jordan.

Centerless MR MJ, Magic, Bird, Duncan LBJ will pass all but jordan eventually

lakerfan85
02-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln

Carless Yen
02-13-2014, 01:01 PM
All Time
Hakeem, Wilt, Jordan, Oscar Robertson honorable mention Jabbar and Russell would be the next two up.

Todays current Mount Rushmore
Duncan, Durant, Kobe, Melo

foonaka
02-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Mine are just 4 guys who defined different eras of basketball.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan

Carless Yen
02-13-2014, 01:04 PM
LBJ overated not on either of my lists, just freak athlete, with size and speed. Actual very limited basketball skills I would put him up there with Dwight Howard as guys if you put them in different bodies they would produce a quarter of what they do now.

Tony_Starks
02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Magic
MJ
Kareem
Bird

Hellcrooner
02-13-2014, 01:19 PM
only four faces right?

Magic, Jordan, Bird, Kareem.

the pf face would be Duncan.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 02:08 PM
LBJ overated not on either of my lists, just freak athlete, with size and speed. Actual very limited basketball skills I would put him up there with Dwight Howard as guys if you put them in different bodies they would produce a quarter of what they do now.

This is so insanely ignorant I don't know where to start. It's so ignorant I question if you've ever watched Lebron play a game of basketball in your entire life. No basketball skills? The guy has the best court vision of probably any forward to ever play the game of basketball and might be the greatest point forward to ever play the game of basketball. Also, I fail to see how a guy with "no basketball skill" could be such an exceptional perimeter shooter.

You're either trolling or just have no ****ing clue what you're talking about. Either way, you're so very, very, very wrong.

lol, please
02-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Wilt
Jordan
Magic
Shaq

/thread

FlashBolt
02-13-2014, 02:14 PM
All Time
Hakeem, Wilt, Jordan, Oscar Robertson honorable mention Jabbar and Russell would be the next two up.

Todays current Mount Rushmore
Duncan, Durant, Kobe, Melo

So Durant and Melo are above LeBron. Gotcha.

FlashBolt
02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
People use LeBron's athleticism as to why he's so great. You tell em Shaq and they got no answer.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Wilt
Jordan
Magic
Shaq

/thread

Why do Wilt and Shaq deserve to get in over Kareem when Kareem's numbers and accolades are arguably greater than both of them?

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
I mostly agreed with your other positions except for maybe one guy in each, but you got this one way wrong. Erving's the clear No. 3 on that list. The fourth guy, though, would be a very interesting debate. You could make a very strong case for Havlicek, Pippen, Baylor or Worthy. Pierce and Durant could also make decent arguments in that discussion.

Yeah... when I read your list I was like "Damn! I forgot Dr. J! WTF was I thinking!" lol

Mile High Champ
02-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kareem.

Mile High Champ
02-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Larry Bird will always continue to get no love outside of those from Boston. I would take him over Magic but that is just my opinion.

AntiG
02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
All-time, having one of each position:
Red Auerbach, Bill Russell, Tim Duncan, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson

abe_froman
02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Ok: You Alltime Rushmore

Your current player's Rushmore

And the Rushmore for each position all-time.

GO!
alltime-mj,russell,wilt,bird/magic(i went with importance to the league over just best,the nba is built on the shoulders of those guys)
now?-lebron,kd,cp3,love

pg-magic,oscar,stockton,fraizer
sg-mj,kobe,west,drexler
sf-bird,lebron,dr.j,hondo
pf-duncan,kg,barkley,dirk
c-wilt,kaj,rusell, shaq

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kareem.

Larry Bird will always continue to get no love outside of those from Boston. I would take him over Magic but that is just my opinion.

"A wild MHC has appeared!" What's going on, buddy? Long time, no talk!

I think you could make a case for prime Bird to be a lot higher on any all-time list, but his lack of longevity really doesn't do him many favors. However, you could make an argument that Bird was a better basketball player than Magic and more integral to Boston's success than LA was. It really is a coin flip argument, and it's a lot closer than most people give it credit to be.

Reversed86Curse
02-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Stockton, Jordan, Bird, Duncan and Hakeem, by position

Players All-Time:
Jordan, KAJ, Hakeem, Duncan, Bird/Magic (either can be 5 or 6), Oscar, Shaq, K. Malone, Kobe

Bruno
02-13-2014, 04:13 PM
PSD is so in the moment with LBJ. two rings and he's cracking the all time mount rushmore? thats disrespectful. brass matters. he's on way too many lists here for top four all time imo.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 04:21 PM
my 1-3 are always the same, but my #4 changes, depending on my mood.

All time:
MJ
KAJ
Wilt
Magic

Current:
LeBron
Durant
CP3
Love (went a little homer here, because I don't think any player has a clear cut case as the 4th best in the league right now)

Position:
PG: Magic, Stockton, Frazier, Oscar
SG: MJ, Kobe, Wade, West (PG for much of his career, but the high number of PG's, and lack of SG's, places him here on my list)
SF: Bird, LeBron, Erving, Pippen
PF: Duncan, Barkley, KG, Malone
C: KAJ, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem

abe_froman
02-13-2014, 04:25 PM
PSD is so in the moment with LBJ. two rings and he's cracking the all time mount rushmore? thats disrespectful. brass matters. he's on way too many lists here for top four all time imo.

not many players have multiple rings as a primary star player.you just said it,brass matters, and lebron has more brass than most(same abount of rings as hakeem and wilt) ,you combine that with stat dominance and well there you go.i didnt put him up that high,but its def not that out of the question

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 04:30 PM

while he isn't on mine yet, to be fair, when you factor in Magic and Bird had shortened careers, LeBron already has as much hardware as anyone not named Jabbar. That being said, I can't put a 29 year old on my Mt Rushmore yet. But unless he retires tomorrow, I don't see why he wouldn't end up on nearly everyones in the next few years.

FlashBolt
02-13-2014, 04:32 PM

Why are you a mod? Your judgement is horrific. Where does it say currently? When his career is DONE.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 04:35 PM

If by "brass" you mean "hardware and rings," I don't see why Lebron isn't deserving. He has just as many MVPs as Wilt and Russell and more than Bird, Magic, Hakeem and Moses. And he's got just as many rings as Wilt and Hakeem, and more than Oscar and West. If I had put Wilt in my top four, nobody would have questioned me, but I do the same thing with Lebron, and people lose their ****ing minds. Same number of MVPs. Same number of rings. Similar statistical production. Why is Wilt so much more deserving than Lebron?

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 04:44 PM
All time:
Jordan
Lebron
Kareem
Russel

Current:
Lebron
Durant
Curry
Paul

Postion: (1a and 1b or 1a and 2a)
Oscar/ Magic
Jordan/Kobe
Lebron/Bird
Duncan/ Barkley
Kareem/Russel/Shaq

jerellh528
02-13-2014, 04:55 PM
My all time: Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Kobe

My Current: Kobe, Duncan, lebron, Durant

PG: Magic, Stockton, Kidd, Big O
SF: Bird, lebron, Dr.J, Baylor
PF: Duncan, Garnett, Barkley, Dirk
C: Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Hakeem

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 04:56 PM
My all time: Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Magic

My Current: Kobe, Duncan, lebron, Durant

PG: Magic, Stockton, Kidd, Big O
SF: Bird, lebron, Dr.J, Baylor
PF: Duncan, Garnett, Barkley, Dirk
C: Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Hakeem

yeah, I thought about including Baylor over Pippen. In the end I decided Scottie's hardware was too much to ignore.

I also can see why people would put Dirk over Malone, though I stuck with Malone.

jerellh528
02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
yeah, I thought about including Baylor over Pippen. In the end I decided Scottie's hardware was too much to ignore.

I also can see why people would put Dirk over Malone, though I stuck with Malone.

I changed mine to put kobe in over magic on my all time. Very unpopular but I didnt feel right leaving my all time favorite player off my own personal mt rushmore. Yeah just cant stand malone, thats why I left him off mine. I think the hardest for me was hakeem vs russell

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 05:08 PM
I changed mine to put kobe in over magic on my all time. Very unpopular but I didnt feel right leaving my all time favorite player off my own personal mt rushmore. Yeah just cant stand malone, thats why I left him off mine. I think the hardest for me was hakeem vs russell

When MJ/Malone/Stockton/Payton, etc were in their hayday (early 90's), I lived across the street from a mormon family from Utah. I was friends with the kid, and he had a GIANT poster of Malone doing his stupid, hand behind the head dunk. He was an insane Malone fan. He and my brother got into a fight over Stockton in my driveway. My brother told him Magic was better, Spencer was having none of that haha.

Goose17
02-13-2014, 05:10 PM
My all-time favourite players Rushmore; Nash, Duncan, Shaq, Curry.

My current "active" players mount rushmore; Curry, Durant, Lebron, Duncan.

My all-time Rushmore; Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Shaq, Duncan.

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Malone had Stockton, while Duncan had Parker And Robinson. But

Barkley never starred with another HoFer while in their primes. Barkley can very well be considered the greatest PF of all time even though the hardware and numbers are slanted towards the other two.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 05:13 PM

Barkley never starred with another HoFer while in their primes. Barkley can very well be considered the greatest PF of all time even though the hardware and numbers are slanted towards the other two.

yeah, Duncan't winning and dominance in doing so make him the top PF. But Barkley was a BEAST. He is my #2 PF ever

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
yeah, Duncan't winning and dominance in doing so make him the top PF. But Barkley was a BEAST. He is my #2 PF ever

My sentiments exactly. Barkley, and also Bird will always be overlooked, but their superior skills both using statistics or the eye test can stand up against anyone all time.

NYKNYGNYY
02-13-2014, 05:24 PM
some people don't understand mt rushomore is 4 presidents I hate when some people put 6 or more ....but for me itd be
all time- Jordan, Russell, bird, magic
right now- LeBron, Durant, Duncan ,Kobe....but idk about putting kobe on based on recent play but hes in the league so he needs to be up there...if not kobe id replace him with Dwight and Duncan with George

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Mmm.... Barkley cannot be considered the greatest PF of all time. You could make a great case for him as No. 3 and a weak case for him as No. 2, but he was pretty much abysmal for the entirety of his career on the defensive end. That's the reason I can't justify putting him over Duncan or Garnett. I also don't buy the "he never played with another HoFer in his prime" argument, because I still think Kevin Johnson had a Hall of Fame caliber career, young Barkley played for two years with prime Moses Malone and old Barkley played with Hakeem when both guys were still pretty damn good.

No. 3 PF of all-time? Sure. No. 1? Not a chance.

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 05:25 PM
When MJ/Malone/Stockton/Payton, etc were in their hayday (early 90's), I lived across the street from a mormon family from Utah. I was friends with the kid, and he had a GIANT poster of Malone doing his stupid, hand behind the head dunk. He was an insane Malone fan. He and my brother got into a fight over Stockton in my driveway. My brother told him Magic was better, Spencer was having none of that haha.

It was always a real debate. Stockton was super legit but Magic has the championships. Could you imagine Stockton leading that Showtime team? He would be considered an even better player lol

NYKNYGNYY
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
mt rushmore all white...nba mt rushmore all black (in a lot of cases) lol not post worth just thought it was funny

Goose17
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Barkley deserved a ring. Much like Nash.

Anyone that dominates on the court and throws a guy through a window off the court is alright in my book.

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Mmm.... Barkley cannot be considered the greatest PF of all time. You could make a great case for him as No. 3 and a weak case for him as No. 2, but he was pretty much abysmal for the entirety of his career on the defensive end. That's the reason I can't justify putting him over Duncan or Garnett. I also don't buy the "he never played with another HoFer in his prime" argument, because I still think Kevin Johnson had a Hall of Fame caliber career, young Barkley played for two years with prime Moses Malone and old Barkley played with Hakeem when both guys were still pretty damn good.

Moses was dominant but he was clearly on his way down, even before Barkely asserted himself as the team leader. I agree, Barkley isn't the best PF of all time, but a case could be made for him as a top 3 player all time at his postion. Jordan is the only guy that carries a definitive ranking.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Moses was dominant but he was clearly on his way down, even before Barkely asserted himself as the team leader. I agree, Barkley isn't the best PF of all time, but a case could be made for him as a top 3 player all time at his postion. Jordan is the only guy that carries a definitive ranking.
I think both Magic and Duncan are pretty definitively the best PG and PF, respectively, in the history of the game. If you asked any reasonable, unbiased analyst or athlete, I'm guessing at least 80-90 percent would name both of those guys at the top. SF and C are totally up for grabs, but the other three positions are pretty clear cut by now.

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 05:44 PM
I think both Magic and Duncan are pretty definitively the best PG and PF, respectively, in the history of the game. If you asked any reasonable, unbiased analyst or athlete, I'm guessing at least 80-90 percent would name both of those guys at the top. SF and C are totally up for grabs, but the other three positions are pretty clear cut by now.

So you don't think their respective teams and franchises had anything to do witht that?

All of those analysts, agents and writers work for someone. And there are powerful agendas in sports.

numba1CHANGsta
02-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Current players as in who's good this year? or current as in who's considered to have had the best career's thus far?

Current players (this year)
LeBron/Durant/CP3/Melo

Current players (with the best career accomplishments)
Kobe/Duncan/LeBron/Dirk or KG

Chronz
02-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Wilt-MJ-Tmac-Walton

DR_1
02-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Jordan
Russell
Magic
Kareem

Wilt is up there as well but unfortunately we can only have 4 faces.

PG: Magic, Oscar, Stockton, Isaiah
SG: MJ, Kobe, West, Clyde
SF: Bird, Dr J, LeBron, Elgin Baylor
PF: Duncan, Dirk, Karl Malone, KG
C: Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Russell

Today:
KD
LeBron
CP3
Melo

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 06:09 PM

I put Barkley a smidge ahead of KG, because when the playoffs started, Barkley's game got better, while KG's shrank. Barkley was a big time player. I have no problem with someone putting KG ahead of him, but Chuck was ridiculous good, and in the playoffs, was much better than KG.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
02-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Jordan
Russell
Magic
Kobe

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 06:20 PM
So you don't think their respective teams and franchises had anything to do witht that?
Of course they did. But no great player in the league's history played without another great player in his entire career. Some guys had more help than others, but in terms of personal statistical dominance, accolades and team success, those guys are undeniably head and shoulders above the rest.

All of those analysts, agents and writers work for someone. And there are powerful agendas in sports.
Oh, c'mon man. Don't be "conspiracy theory guy." Your posts had been relatively sane up until this point. MJ, Magic and Duncan aren't the best at their respective positions because they have some kind of political or financial edge over the competition. They were the best because the numbers, accolades and rings back them up. You can certainly disagree with that if you like, but if that's the case, don't offer weak takes like this. Back it up with numbers, facts and context.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 06:22 PM
I put Barkley a smidge ahead of KG, because when the playoffs started, Barkley's game got better, while KG's shrank. Barkley was a big time player. I have no problem with someone putting KG ahead of him, but Chuck was ridiculous good, and in the playoffs, was much better than KG.

While I agree Barkley's postseason performance was greater than KG, I don't know how you can ignore the massive edge Garnett had on the defensive end. It's not like Barkley was so much better offensively in the regular season or playoffs to make up for that massive defensive edge.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Wilt-MJ-Tmac-Walton

Is this just your personal preference? I just don't know how you can justify T-Mac or Walton over other guys.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 06:33 PM
While I agree Barkley's postseason performance was greater than KG, I don't know how you can ignore the massive edge Garnett had on the defensive end. It's not like Barkley was so much better offensively in the regular season or playoffs to make up for that massive defensive edge.

I rank Barkley ahead slightly because he was clearly a superior offensive player, and was much better in the playoffs than KG.

But again, I am not going to debate in detail, this comparison is totally fair either way, as long as you have rational to back your opinion up.

Lo Porto
02-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Wilt, MJ, Kareem and Magic

LeBron replaces Magic if he has another 5 good years

Chronz
02-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Toughest debate for me is KG vs Chuck at the 4. I usually take the better defender but Chuck was a special beast in the playoffs where KG was pretty meh. Defense is important so even when hes off his game, hes making an imprint, its just that Chuck was rarely off his game, and he had some monster elimination games that stand out in my mind than KG's continuous first round exits (where he was outplayed by Dirk/Duncan among others), Chuck always showed up. BTW, when would you say KG became an elite defender?

Chronz
02-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Is this just your personal preference? I just don't know how you can justify T-Mac or Walton over other guys.

Its not a ranking system, I love Bill Waltons humor, it defined an era for me. Broadcasting at its finest.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Toughest debate for me is KG vs Chuck at the 4. I usually take the better defender but Chuck was a special beast in the playoffs where KG was pretty meh. Defense is important so even when hes off his game, hes making an imprint, its just that Chuck was rarely off his game, and he had some monster elimination games that stand out in my mind than KG's continuous first round exits (where he was outplayed by Dirk/Duncan among others), Chuck always showed up. BTW, when would you say KG became an elite defender?

I'm not sure. I was still fairly young when KG first came into the league (I would have been 8 years old his rookie season). Based on the significant drop in DRtg and that he started making All-Defensive first teams, I'd say it was somewhere around his fourth of fifth season. But I don't have a ton of data to really back that up.

Munkeysuit
02-13-2014, 07:23 PM
All Time Rushmore
Jordan
Shaq
Magic
Russel
Current Players Rushmore
Lebron
Durant
CP3
Melo
Rushmore for each position All time
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Lebron James
Tim Duncan
Bill Russel

TheMightyHumph
02-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Wilt, Russell, Jordan, Duncan, Julius

Tony_Starks
02-13-2014, 07:37 PM

I'm a Laker fan and I easily put Larry in my top 5. As much as I dislike Boston it does sort of offend me when non Boston fans just act like Bird wasn't one of the best to ever play.

That being said he was never better than Magic. Never, ever, ever....

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Its not a ranking system, I love Bill Waltons humor, it defined an era for me. Broadcasting at its finest.

he was amazing. I remember watching a Clippers game, and Cassell took a very ill advised jumper on the baseline that he airballed. Walton said something like, "that was the worst shot attempt in Clippers franchise history". The dude would make a Bucks-Cavs game in the middle of December sound like it was a battle between good and evil, and the world depended on its outcome.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm a Laker fan and I easily put Larry in my top 5. As much as I dislike Boston it does sort of offend me when non Boston fans just act like Bird wasn't one of the best to ever play.

That being said he was never better than Magic. Never, ever, ever....

he had a few years where he was the better player, but I find it hard to swallow if someone puts Bird ahead of Magic all time.

TheMightyHumph
02-13-2014, 07:48 PM
he was amazing. I remember watching a Clippers game, and Cassell took a very ill advised jumper on the baseline that he airballed. Walton said something like, "that was the worst shot attempt in Clippers franchise history". The dude would make a Bucks-Cavs game in the middle of December sound like it was a battle between good and evil, and the world depended on its outcome.

My favorite Walton-ism was 'John Stockton is the greatest athlete in the history of the Western Hemisphere'.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
My favorite Walton-ism was 'John Stockton is the greatest athlete in the history of the Western Hemisphere'.

a few others:

“The only way Danny Schayes is getting into the hall of fame is if he pays the $5.99 admission fee.”

“When I think of Boris Diaw, I think of Beethoven in the age of the romantics.”

“Amare Stoudamire! Winner of the genetic lottery!”

Walton: “That has to be a foul.” Snapper: “Against who?” Walton: “Against the game of basketball.”

“You look at Vladimir Radmanovic, this guy is cut from stone. As if Michelangelo was reading and a lightning bolt flashed before him.”

Tony_Starks
02-13-2014, 07:58 PM

I remember a Blazers game where he said something to the effect that Rasheed Wallace was singlehandedly ruining the Portland franchise. I'm a big Sheed fan so I was mad, but I can't lie it was funny as hell!!!!

Hawkeye15
02-13-2014, 08:04 PM
I remember a Blazers game where he said something to the effect that Rasheed Wallace was singlehandedly ruining the Portland franchise. I'm a big Sheed fan so I was mad, but I can't lie it was funny as hell!!!!

he used to dump all over the Jailblazers.

DreamShaker
02-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Centers:
Wilt
Kareem
Russell
Hakeem or Shaq

Power Forwards:

Karl Malone
Bob Pettit
Tim Duncan
Charles Barkley

Small Forwards:
Elgin Baylor
Dr. J
Larry Bird
Lebron James

Shooting Guards:
MJ
Kobe
Jerry West
Oscar Robertson

Point Guards
Cousy
Magic
Stockton
Isiah

All-Time
Wilt or Kareem
MJ
Magic
Bird

NBA_Starter
02-13-2014, 10:55 PM
MJ
Wilt
LeBron
Bird

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Loved Walton's game, but I was always glad when he wasnt the commentator

lol, please
02-13-2014, 11:03 PM

Bird embodies greatness, if mt. rushmore was 5 instead of 4, he would have a great case for the 5th spot, but I agree, Bird never gets respect.

P&GRealist
02-13-2014, 11:10 PM
You guys are doing it all wrong.

The original NBA mt. Rushmore will always comprise of Bird, Magic, Jordan and 1 of 3 big men in Kareem/Wilt/Russell.

NO ONE from this generation deserves to be up with real men like the ones I mentioned. It's a completely different brand of basketball, different level of physicality, those guys were super ultra skilled.

But if we're talking of the post-Jordan generation Mt. Rushmore, it would be Shaq, Duncan, Kobe and LeBron.

mngopher35
02-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Jordan, Lebron, Shaq, Magic

(these are my favorites of the greats, I wish I were able to see wilt/kareem more but they had no chance here).

Bostonjorge
02-13-2014, 11:32 PM
All time shaq kobe Jordan KG

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Another fun idea for Mount Rushmores would be decades. You can only pick a single player from each decade to place on a Mount Rushmore with seven faces. Mine would look something like this:
50s: George Mikan
60s: Bill Russell
70s: Kareem Abdul Jabbar
80s: Magic Johnson
90s: Michael Jordan
2000s: Tim Duncan
2010s: Lebron James

Ill21
02-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Magic
Jordan
LeBron
Duncan
KAJ

todu82
02-14-2014, 12:56 AM
All Time: Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Magic
Current: Lebron, Durant, CP 3, George

IKnowHoops
02-14-2014, 01:51 AM
All-Time
Lebron
Jordan
Shaq
KAJ/Wilt

Current
Lebron
Durant
Blake
CP3

abe_froman
02-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Another fun idea for Mount Rushmores would be decades. You can only pick a single player from each decade to place on a Mount Rushmore with seven faces. Mine would look something like this:
50's-cousy
60-russell
70's-kaj
80's-magic
90's-mj
00's-kobe
10's-lebron(so far,there is still 6 years left)

lamzoka
02-14-2014, 02:07 AM
ALL TIME
MJ
Wilt
Kareem
Bill Russel

Current
Durant
LBJ
KOBE
Duncan

rhino17
02-14-2014, 02:29 AM
Michael
Magic
Bill Russell

Would be on everyone's list

The last spot should go to Kareem, wilt or Larry

Loved Walton's game, but I was always glad when he wasnt the commentator

I listened to bill tonight call the CU/UCLA game. He was really good. Obviously a bit of a UCLA homer but knew his stuff about both teams. He knew almost everything about the CU team and not just what the stats tell you, he really watched em and knows his stuff.

P&GRealist
02-14-2014, 02:47 AM

Seriously, I didn't even feel Duncan's presence in the league from 2007-2012. It wasn't until his resurgence yr last yr when Timmy became relevant again.

Tony_Starks
02-14-2014, 02:49 AM

The original NBA mt. Rushmore will always comprise of Bird, Magic, Jordan and 1 of 3 big men in Kareem/Wilt/Russell.

NO ONE from this generation deserves to be up with real men like the ones I mentioned. It's a completely different brand of basketball, different level of physicality, those guys were super ultra skilled.

But if we're talking of the post-Jordan generation Mt. Rushmore, it would be Shaq, Duncan, Kobe and LeBron.

That's how I feel. It's sort of blasphemy to mention the current players with the OG's.

Modern era guys I'd probably go with Shaq, Kobe, Duncan and AI....

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-14-2014, 03:38 AM
All time: MJ, Kareem, Russell, Magic

Current: LBJ, Durant, CP3, ____

Hawkeye15
02-14-2014, 03:49 AM

you sound like my Dad haha. Why even watch modern basketball if you truly believe the best that will ever play are long retired?

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-14-2014, 03:53 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1621716_10152210884984539_1414754400_n.jpg

CELTICS4LYFE
02-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Larry bird-magic johnson-micheal jordan-delonte west

b@llhog24
02-14-2014, 01:42 PM
All time: MJ/Wilt/KAJ/Shaq
Now: Bron/KD/Paul/Crapshoot

PG: Magic/Oscar/Stockton/Walt
SG: MJ/Kobe/West/Wade
SF: Bird/Bron/Dr J/Pippen
PF: Timmy/Barkley/KG/Malone
C: Wilt/KAJ/Shaq/Dream

b@llhog24
02-14-2014, 02:03 PM

You'd be in the minority though. Even still, I hate when people act as if Magic was a vastly superior player to him.

Yea me too. But I'll wait on a history aficionado to give me a good reason as to why.

Walt
02-14-2014, 02:30 PM
I rank Barkley ahead slightly because he was clearly a superior offensive player, and was much better in the playoffs than KG.

But again, I am not going to debate in detail, this comparison is totally fair either way, as long as you have rational to back your opinion up.

Looking at your Barkley comment, wouldn't you put Dirk over Garnett all time too? Seeing as Dirk is a clearly superior offensive player (than both) and was much better in the playoffs?

Walt
02-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Mount Rushmore should have 5 heads.

RateSports
02-14-2014, 02:41 PM
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - LeBron James
PF - Kareem (I know he was a 5, but he's better than TD at the 4)
C - Shaquille O'Neal

Backups

PG - Oscar Robertson
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Bill Russell

Hawkeye15
02-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Looking at your Barkley comment, wouldn't you put Dirk over Garnett all time too? Seeing as Dirk is a clearly superior offensive player (than both) and was much better in the playoffs?

he was a poor rebounder, meh defender, and while a case can be made that Dirk bested KG in a few series in the west, he wasn't as far ahead as Chuck was offensively, both regular season or playoffs (Chuck was awesome in the playoffs, especially elimination games). PF's 2-5 all have their own case if you dig deep enough I suppose. Barkley, KG, Malone, Dirk that is..

mightybosstone
02-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Seriously, I didn't even feel Duncan's presence in the league from 2007-2012. It wasn't until his resurgence yr last yr when Timmy became relevant again.

Duncan won three titles, two MVPs, two Finals MVPs and he was All-NBA and All-Defensive every single year in that decade. You could make a decent case for Shaq, Kobe and a weak case for Dirk, KG and Lebron, but nobody owned that decade like Duncan did.

MTar786
02-14-2014, 04:10 PM
All time:
Jordan
Lebron
Kareem
Russel

Current:
Lebron
Durant
Curry
Paul

Postion: (1a and 1b or 1a and 2a)
Oscar/ Magic
Jordan/Kobe
Lebron/Bird
Duncan/ Barkley
Kareem/Russel/Shaq

il never understand how charles gets more love than kg.. but whatever lol.. IMO its not even close when it comes to ranking 4's after duncan and kg

b@llhog24
02-14-2014, 04:25 PM

Maybe not KG but Dirk has a fantastic argument over a guy like Malone.

Walt
02-14-2014, 04:26 PM
he was a poor rebounder, meh defender, and while a case can be made that Dirk bested KG in a few series in the west, he wasn't as far ahead as Chuck was offensively, both regular season or playoffs (Chuck was awesome in the playoffs, especially elimination games). PF's 2-5 all have their own case if you dig deep enough I suppose. Barkley, KG, Malone, Dirk that is..

No argument there. But just to add in, Dirk is historically great in the postseason but particularly elim. games (29/12 in elim games).

I think Dirk is 2nd or 3rd best PF of all time although I wouldn't argue against Barkley, Malone and KG.

b@llhog24
02-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Duncan won three titles, two MVPs, two Finals MVPs and he was All-NBA and All-Defensive every single year in that decade. You could make a decent case for Shaq, Kobe and a weak case for Dirk, KG and Lebron, but nobody owned that decade like Duncan did.

Timmy has 3 FMVP. And Shaq owned HIS decade, he shouldn't be penalized because he didn't come into the league on the turn of a decade.

Walt
02-14-2014, 04:29 PM
I have Duncan as the head of the 2000s.

b@llhog24
02-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Timmy has 3 FMVP. And Shaq owned HIS decade, he shouldn't be penalized because he didn't come into the league on the turn of a decade.

Never mind saw where you were coming from.

ManRam
02-14-2014, 05:39 PM
My personal Mt. Rushmore (formative for me being a fan)

Shaq
T-Mac
Penny
Jordan

Rushmore was built almost 100 years ago. It really honors those who made our country what it is today. That can be synonymous with "best", but in some ways it isn't. If the NBA's Mount Rushmore was chiseled today, in the most true sense of what Mount Rushmore is, I think this is what it would be like. Maybe a different spin on things.

Jordan
Stern
Mikan
IDK the 4th

Merely the best players:

Well, that's a tired debate and I'll save it for another day.

Today's

LeBron, Kobe, Melo, Durant, Duncan...Rose....hard to leave some of those guys out. Even Blake, who is an endorsement machine and now living up to the hype on the court.

Chronz
02-14-2014, 07:02 PM
My personal Mt. Rushmore (formative for me being a fan)

Shaq
T-Mac
Penny
Jordan

Rushmore was built almost 100 years ago. It really honors those who made our country what it is today. That can be synonymous with "best", but in some ways it isn't. If the NBA's Mount Rushmore was chiseled today, in the most true sense of what Mount Rushmore is, I think this is what it would be like. Maybe a different spin on things.

Jordan
Stern
Mikan
IDK the 4th

Merely the best players:

Well, that's a tired debate and I'll save it for another day.

Today's

LeBron, Kobe, Melo, Durant, Duncan...Rose....hard to leave some of those guys out. Even Blake, who is an endorsement machine and now living up to the hype on the court.

Take it down man. Everything you say comes off Australian now, its hard to take seriously.

mightybosstone
02-14-2014, 09:27 PM

Shaq was a close second, but the 2000s were clearly Duncan's decade. And, yes, the guy is penalized for peaking at the turn of a decade. Generally, though, I don't necessarily think I would rank Shaq higher on any all-time list than Duncan. Shaq's peak was greater, but Duncan had the longer, better prime and was a superior defensive player.

ManRam
02-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Take it down man. Everything you say comes off Australian now, its hard to take seriously.

Aye aye, Captain

mngopher35
02-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Shaq was a close second, but the 2000s were clearly Duncan's decade. And, yes, the guy is penalized for peaking at the turn of a decade. Generally, though, I don't necessarily think I would rank Shaq higher on any all-time list than Duncan. Shaq's peak was greater, but Duncan had the longer, better prime and was a superior defensive player.

I have Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan 5-7 in that order on my personal list but can see arguments for every one to be ranked highest. They are so close that I do it by who I would pick if I were going to get them for their careers. I think I could win the most titles if centered around Shaq.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2014, 09:49 PM
I have Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan 5-7 in that order on my personal list but can see arguments for every one to be ranked highest. They are so close that I do it by who I would pick if I were going to get them for their careers. I think I could win the most titles if centered around Shaq.

I still like the tier system. Mine is:

Tier 1: Jordan
Tier 2: KAJ, Wilt
Tier 3: Magic, Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, Russell

For example, you can make an argument from tier 3 for any of those players most likely, even if mine is Magic, then a few bigs, then LeBron, Kobe, Bird, Russell.

mngopher35
02-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I still like the tier system. Mine is:

Tier 1: Jordan
Tier 2: KAJ, Wilt
Tier 3: Magic, Bird, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, Russell

For example, you can make an argument from tier 3 for any of those players most likely, even if mine is Magic, then a few bigs, then LeBron, Kobe, Bird, Russell.

Tiers are fun too, I like rankings in general.

1: Jordan
2:Wilt/Kareem
3:Magic/Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan
4.Kobe/Lebron/Bird/Russell

That would be mine, just split up your tier 3 basically. I think there is a distinction there but I might be partial to big men.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Tiers are fun too, I like rankings in general.

1: Jordan
2:Wilt/Kareem
3:Magic/Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan
4.Kobe/Lebron/Bird/Russell

That would be mine, just split up your tier 3 basically. I think there is a distinction there but I might be partial to big men.

I prefer your tiers, after reading my post, I essentially listed your tier 3 ahead of the remaining 4 on my tier 3.

3RDASYSTEM
02-15-2014, 01:00 AM

You sound so dumb by saying SHAQ's peak was better but not his prime? prime and peak go hand in hand and they both were built that way from day 1, SHAQ was just more WILT while DUNCAN was more ALCINDOR, nothing wrong with that, SHAQ had WILTs unreal freak of nature dominance while DUNCAN had the bank shot like ALINDOR had hookshot/skill, longevity doesn't mean you are better it usually means injuries and staying in shape was a downfall but watching a guy play more years doesn't make him better especially since SHAQ had like a 5yr head start, that's an eternity in sports shelf life

I like both a lot but im taking SHAQ allday everyday especially if I can convince him to stay skinny SHAQ like Orlando version ripping down the entire backboard as a rookie and damn near killing himself in the process

what in hell do you think he did from 92-00? you think he peaked or was primed from 00-02? are you seriously saying SHAQ wasn't prime going for 24 and 13 rookie yr, DUNCAN put up those numbers at his peak

how is he penalized when he always pretty much a league mvp until he got to PHX which was like his 17th or 18th season, he was like runner up nba mvp in 95' and then won it in 00' while finishing rookie of year in like 92-93' season

the reason why DUNCAN can do what he do at such less usage is that he has 2 scoring guards on his side at this stage in career, had it been a AVERY J type then he wouldn't be doing anything because he could carry them both offense and defensively in 99' until like 07' and since then they haven't won no more rings but a finals trip

had SHAQ not got injured with CAVS or C's then we might be talking different but that's neither here nor there just my 2 cents on it

SHAQ couldn't be stopped by DROB/DUNCAN duo and when he felt the double then bean Bryant went off 1 on 1 and handled his biz

DUNCAN cant be stopped but a DROB/SHAQ duo would have slowed him enough not to erupt for those 40pt games he used to give HORRY and the rest of the laker frontline, including SHAQ at times

3RDASYSTEM
02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
True MT RUSHMORE

WILT-ALCINDOR-DR J-DREAM

WILT most dominant in early era(and high rank all time) and saving NBA single handed in its infant stages, ALCINDOR most dominant/best ever when you total HS-NCAA-NBA careers as whole, DR J(good guy-class act when I met him yrs ago) for being MAGIC/BIRD/JORDAN basically combined when you add all facets and the merger from ABA to NBA he was the face-poster boy and DREAM for beating ALCINDOR/DROB/SHAQ/EWING and whoever else was the best during his time and I want to say he started balling real late in career bball wise and was top notch on both sides of the ball as the anchor and no 1 option

personal fav - WILT/SHAQ/IVERSON/BRON