PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: Why did the Spurs trade Purude for Rodman?

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Jordan got six rings, but he would have only gotten 3 had the Bulls not managed to trade one of the worst back-up centers in the league for the the best rebounder since Wilt Chamberlain, and perhaps of all time.

We all know Rodman had issues and that the Spurs weren't going to get much back on their return, but why did they only manage to get Will Purdue?

Rodman was the BEST rebounder in the league, and one of the best defenders. I understand that they likely did NOT want to trade him to a team in the West, which was already tough enough, and that few teams in the east were willing to take a risk, but Will Purdue? They didn't even get a draft pick out of the deal? The Magic could have given up Horace Grant, the Knicks had a boatload of players and could have thrown in a draft pick. The Pacers could have done the same.

I do understand that Rodman was gamble, but at the same time, why would the Knicks and Pacer, who knew they'd have to face Chi-town in the playoffs, allow the Bulls to pick Rodman up for nothing? If anything, it would have been a good idea to pick him up JUST to stop the Bulls from getting him. A first-round draft pick or two would have been FAR better than the deal the Bulls offered? It's like the Pacers signing Bynum just to make sure OKC and MIA doesn't get him. They might not need him, and he might be a head ache in the lockerroom, but he won't be a headache in the opposing team's jersey.

Personal issues aside? Why did they give up Rodman for so little, and why did other teams in the east not try to raise Chi-town's offer to cack-block them?

Uncle Chuck
02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
The Spurs just wanted Rodman gone. I don't think it would have been worth it for the Spurs to prolong the move and have the added distraction. Rodman was 34 and due to be a free agent at the end of the year. He had a lot things working against him.

Purdue for a headcase rental sounds about right.

IKnowHoops
02-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Rodman was an uncontrollable cancer on the Spurs. He cost them the playoff against the Rockets as much as Hakeem did. He was a punk on that squad.

Chronz
02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah definitely a mistake to gift wrap talent to the best team in the league but Rodman was a **** defender during these days, he would rather chase rebounds than play team D, or even man D for that matter.

Horry shat on him

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah definitely a mistake to gift wrap talent to the best team in the league but Rodman was a **** defender during these days, he would rather chase rebounds than play team D, or even man D for that matter.

Horry shat on him

It's funny. I remember having a GREAT deal of respect for Rodman and Robinson defensively at the time (though I was much younger). I watched Rodman more as a Piston of course, but Robison I always kept my eye on.

Rodman used to bemoan that Robinson was awful on defense and he'd always have to cover for him because he was chasing down blocks from the guy cutting and leaving his man open.

As for Horry... those to playoffs... he was playing AMAZING basketball then... he looked like Socttie Pippen (I know he played another postion for most of his career, but he was just loading up on assists and rebound and getting a steal or 2 and a block almost every game. It was crazy. Then he ust turned average... :-(

But yeah... giving him to a contender for nothing when he was on an expiring contract? That would have been an attractive package for some teams, even if Rodman didn't work out.

abe_froman
02-13-2014, 04:21 PM
because he was a headcase and seen as a cancer,the bulls were like the only team willing to take the gamble and the spurs were so desperate to just be rid of him they'd take any deal

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
If I recall, Rodman had a massively large ego and a terrible reputation at the time. He was a Bulls franchise chance away from being 'black balled.' Chicago was like the only destination for him due to Phil Jackson's reputation for managing players and egos.

Rodman at the time like Jordan was bigger than the NBA and the Spurs simply didn't want him anymore.

Chronz
02-13-2014, 04:38 PM
It's funny. I remember having a GREAT deal of respect for Rodman and Robinson defensively at the time (though I was much younger). I watched Rodman more as a Piston of course, but Robison I always kept my eye on.

Rodman used to bemoan that Robinson was awful on defense and he'd always have to cover for him because he was chasing down blocks from the guy cutting and leaving his man open.

As for Horry... those to playoffs... he was playing AMAZING basketball then... he looked like Socttie Pippen (I know he played another postion for most of his career, but he was just loading up on assists and rebound and getting a steal or 2 and a block almost every game. It was crazy. Then he ust turned average... :-(

But yeah... giving him to a contender for nothing when he was on an expiring contract? That would have been an attractive package for some teams, even if Rodman didn't work out.
I guess I never got Rodmans take on his stay there, I have 2 of his books, just never gotten through them, Im sure he can justify his actions, maybe a prude organization like the Spurs just wouldn't have it. I do recall the Spurs having alot of success with Rodman than without.

COOLbeans
02-13-2014, 04:46 PM
I guess I never got Rodmans take on his stay there, I have 2 of his books, just never gotten through them, Im sure he can justify his actions, maybe a prude organization like the Spurs just wouldn't have it. I do recall the Spurs having alot of success with Rodman than without.

Bad as I Wanna Be was a very good book when I read it as a teenager. Have to imagine it'd be good reading for adults too

Chronz
02-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Bad as I Wanna Be was a very good book when I read it as a teenager. Have to imagine it'd be good reading for adults too

Yea some of the quotes on the cover really stood out.

DreamShaker
02-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Nobody wanted Rodman. Think of T.O. near the end of his career.

TheMightyHumph
02-14-2014, 03:15 AM
From what I read at the time, Timmy and the Admiral were quite upset when the Spurs let Perdue walk.

Hawkeye15
02-14-2014, 03:55 AM
The Spurs wanted nothing to do with him at the time. They took pennies on the dollar to get rid of him.

DreamShaker
02-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Am I the only one who sorta blurs Winnington and Purdue together in my mind??

b_russ
02-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Am I the only one who sorta blurs Winnington and Purdue together in my mind??

Just remember beard and baby face. I get Perdue mixed up with Chris Dudley more so.