PDA

View Full Version : DeRozan moves into Top 10 for scoring, first Raptor to do this since Bosh

cdnsportsfan
02-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Ryan Wolstat tweeted this following last night's game:

With his 31 points, DeRozan vaults into the top 10 in league scoring. First Raptor to do that since Chris Bosh. https://twitter.com/WolstatSun/status/433801131031265282

According to nba.com DeRozan now sits in 10th in scoring, 25 points ahead of Lillard and 7 points behind Dirk. He's really rounded out his game this season as he's picked up his defence as well. While many have rightly said Lowry got snubbed this year (which he did), that other Raptor DeRozan has rather quietly made a solid case for his place in the all-star game. Plus his 4 yr, $38 mil. contract keeps looking better and better as this season progresses.

Since the success is recent, how long does DeRozan need to keep up this level of play to be considered an elite player in the league? Also, is that too much to ask considering he's not a flashy player and is based outside the States?

Walt
02-13-2014, 11:19 AM
DeRozan and elite will never happen. That said, he is a pretty damn good scorer. Efficiency on the other hand is a problem. Not quite JR Smith and Brandon Jennings bad efficient but he has room to improve.

He can be a #3 on a contender imo. He can score 30 on any given night. The biggest area of improvement imo is his all around game. He isn't putting up 20 point games with 1 rebound and 1 assist anymore. He's padding those other areas quite nicely.

I'd say he's in the 25-30 range in the NBA as a player.

bucketss
02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
derozan is a beast, he needs a nick name now lol.

Walt
02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
De-Roze.

The healthy one...

cdnsportsfan
02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Fair assessment, Walt. I agree he really needs to improve his shooting percentages (only 42% from the field and 31% from 3) but he is fifth in PER out of all shooting guards right now, so that's something! Solid improvements for a player who, like you said, can score but used to lack really anything from the rest of his game.

And in terms of nicknames, well DD, DeRo, they're all too easy and obvious. What about...MarRo? Or RozMa? :cool: (I do like De-Roze, tbh - funny stuff!)

LAKobeBryant
02-13-2014, 11:45 AM
derozan is a beast, he needs a nick name now lol.

raps commentators call him double D but that's horrible nick name lol

mjt20mik
02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
raps commentators call him double D but that's horrible nick name lol

Hansborough reaction in your sig lol

Jamiecballer
02-13-2014, 11:59 AM
DeRozan and elite will never happen. That said, he is a pretty damn good scorer. Efficiency on the other hand is a problem. Not quite JR Smith and Brandon Jennings bad efficient but he has room to improve.

He can be a #3 on a contender imo. He can score 30 on any given night. The biggest area of improvement imo is his all around game. He isn't putting up 20 point games with 1 rebound and 1 assist anymore. He's padding those other areas quite nicely.

I'd say he's in the 25-30 range in the NBA as a player.

as a raptor fan, i say spot on.

Walt
02-13-2014, 12:07 PM
as a raptor fan, i say spot on.

To add to that, I nabbed DeRozan in the 12th (last round) in my fantasy draft. Would have to say that is by far the steal of the draft.

albertajaysfan
02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Hansborough reaction in your sig lol

Isn't that Novak?

LanceUpperCut
02-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Derozan has really turned into a good facilitator, easily one of his biggest improvements. He's a already an elite SG in this league. I think he can be a solid number 2 on a contender.

dalton749
02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
definitely capable of being a number 2 if its with an elite big man considering hes lead a team to 22-12 after the rudy trade as a number 1
been averaging 25/5/5 since the new year

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
definitely capable of being a number 2 if its with an elite big man considering hes lead a team to 22-12 after the rudy trade as a number 1
been averaging 25/5/5 since the new year

Agreed... Demar could easily be a #2 option on a contender easy with how he's emerged as a star since Rudy left.

BALLER R
02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
I remember when Demar was just potential and he was so raw. Couldn't drive without getting stripped, Handles weren't that good, Couldn't shoot a 3 to save his life. It's amazing how far he has come. Can he become elite we really can't say. Look at where he came from and you will realize anything is possible with him.

blastmasta26
02-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Isn't that Novak?

Hansbrough is to the left of Valanciunas.