PDA

View Full Version : Best scorers, best rebounders, best playmakers

JasonJohnHorn
02-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Every season, the top five scorers always make the All-Star team.

When it comes to the top five rebounds and playmakers though, there are always some who don't make it.

This year the league's leading rebounder, DeAndre Jordan, failed to make the team, as did the league's best rebound: Andre Drummond. Likewise, DeMarcus Cousins failed to make the team and finished in the top five for rebounds. These three players are also strong defensive players (Cousins much less so obviously, but he is also among the league leaders in scoring).

Among the best player makers, Ty Lawson and Ricky Rubio failed to make the cut. Rubio's FG% likely hurt him a great deal, as did his team's record, but he is an amazing defender. Ty Lawson is perhaps the best player on one of the 8 teams with playoff position right now, so it seems fair that he should have made the roster, though when looking at the guys who DID make, it is hard to argue against any of them.

Jordan and Rubio are both players with clear offensive deficiencies, but at the same time, they are players who excel at the defensive end, where as there are often All-Stars, and even MVPs who are deficient on the defensive end (Nash). Do people not place enough value in rebounding, playmaking and defense? Is there too much emphasis on who scores?

I'm not arguing that any of these guys should have made it ahead of anybody in particular, just using this as a launching point for a discussion as to how we should value the different things that guys do on the court.

tredigs
02-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Well, it was insane for Joe Johnson to take the roster slot of a Kyle Lowry or Drummond, but what can you do. I assume that Drummond didn't get the nod because the Pistons are underperformers (and like you mentioned he doesn't score much), and Lowry didn't get it because he's widely considered a guy with a poor attitude that coaches don't like.

There might be a mix of both those factors for Cousins, but it also doesn't help that he'd have to have gotten it over a guy like Anthony Davis who has been an absolute phenom in his own right.

But yeah, overall defense and rebounding isn't an AS Game draw. That's probably a big reason why they removed the center position from the criteria. That said, Monta had a few years as a top end scorer and entertaining guard who didn't get in as well. Which I was more than fine with.

PrettyBoyJ
02-12-2014, 08:00 PM
This is a good topic... With all-star weekend, after fan voting - which is pretty much all of the popular players - the players that are selected by the coaches often meet that criteria of rebounding, defense, and sometimes play making. This year Hibbert, and Noah made the team. Their stats don't scream all-star but they translate to wins and better overall team defense which is noticed by the coaches. A few years ago Rondo made the team purely of his play making ability and defense. The fan voting may only illustrate the popular players and top scorers, but coaches tend to vote the guy who has an impact on the team that exceeds scoring.

BoSox47
02-12-2014, 08:14 PM
When healthy. Rondo is best playmaker in the league.

Hawkeye15
02-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Rubio is so far from being an all star its ridiculous. His own coach doesn't even play him down the stretch of close games many nights because he is allergic to scoring unless EVERYONE else is hurt.

Rubio is part of the problem in Minnesota, not the solution.

JasonJohnHorn
02-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Rubio is so far from being an all star its ridiculous. His own coach doesn't even play him down the stretch of close games many nights because he is allergic to scoring unless EVERYONE else is hurt.

Rubio is part of the problem in Minnesota, not the solution.

I agree. I'm so bummed about that too. I was really hoping to see him blossom into a great player. I just wanted more than one pass-first point guard that can shoot AND play defense... is that so much to ask?

He SO good at the defensive end.... if only he could bring develop a jump shot and reduce turnovers... :-(

I feel for you Minny fans.... AK leaves, Love injured, Pek injured, Rubio not shooting.... Williams is a bust.... so many things go wrong.

Deception
02-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Well, it was insane for Joe Johnson to take the roster slot of a Kyle Lowry or Drummond, but what can you do. I assume that Drummond didn't get the nod because the Pistons are underperformers (and like you mentioned he doesn't score much), and Lowry didn't get it because he's widely considered a guy with a poor attitude that coaches don't like.

There might be a mix of both those factors for Cousins, but it also doesn't help that he'd have to have gotten it over a guy like Anthony Davis who has been an absolute phenom in his own right.

But yeah, overall defense and rebounding isn't an AS Game draw. That's probably a big reason why they removed the center position from the criteria. That said, Monta had a few years as a top end scorer and entertaining guard who didn't get in as well. Which I was more than fine with.

Drummond scores more points and has a higher FG% than Hibbert, rebounds better as well. Drummond is just young and is still developing. I don't have any issues with him not making the team though.

Sactown
02-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Drummond scores more points and has a higher FG% than Hibbert, rebounds better as well. Drummond is just young and is still developing. I don't have any issues with him not making the team though.

Yeah but Hibbert is the anchor of the top defense...