PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson vs lance Stephenson

Monta is beast
02-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Whos better. I'm a huge stephenson fan i watch allot of pacers games, but apparently allot of warriors fans think thompson is better. Im a die hard warriors fan but imo thats ridiculous. Thonpson has the edge in shooting and thats it. Stephensin plays bettet d, rebounds better, can create 50x better, plays with an edge that you need on a chip worthy team and can effect the game when he isnt making shots. Please set thesr homers straight i just dont see how they could think that.

Im on my phone and iono how to add a poll so if a mod could help me out

black1605
02-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Stephenson, easily.

Rndy
02-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Klay is a much better shooter. He's no slouch defensively either. I'd take Lance I believe his ceiling is much higher and he's already a more well rounded player once his shooting becomes more consistent and he stops turning the ball over so much he's going to be a consistent all star.

ManRam
02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Klay is a nice 3 and D player, but Lance brings SOO much more to the table.

IndyRealist
02-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Actually Klay only has an edge in 3pt shooting. Stephenson is 11% better on 2pt FGs, and 2.6% better TS%. If you take TS% as "how well a player scores" then Stephenson has the edge. Klay is a much better floor spacer, as 90% of the work Stephenson does is off the dribble going to the rim. I can't say that I've seen Thompson on defense, but Lance is not a detriment on that end. And ultimately this completely ignores the massive edge Lance has in rebounding and assists, where Klay is below average.

Stephenson is hard to compare to other players. He's more of a big PG than a SG, is built like a running back and has freaky straight line speed. He easily has the best court vision on the team, but often his passes get dropped because his teammate didn't realize Lance could get him the ball.

Bostonjorge
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
No way Stephenson plays better D then Thomson. Stephenson can create his own shot better but that's it. Compared to Thomson I mean. Both future all stars but Thomson would lock Stephenson up.

tredigs
02-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Klay's essentially the ideal catch and shoot player (scores on the shot more than everyone in the NBA) who will give you the ability to bend the D for slashers and mid-range/paint guys like Lee far, far better than Stephenson. One of those guys who is a de-facto playmaker without having to touch the ball and it won't show up in any box score.

Klay's probably a better defender as well. He has similar length and more quickness with pretty great instincts on that end. Lance is no slouch and can handle bigger bodies better, but I'd lean Klay there.

Rebounding and playmaking go to Lance.

Overall I'd lean Lance overall, especially with the slump Klay has been in for such a period here, but I don't think it's an "easily" one way or the other. Different skill sets that different teams could use more than other. On GS - already having Iggy - I would not trade Klay for him.

Rain City
02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
very close call. im a big fan of both and i think both young players are top SG/SF players in the L for a long time to come.

id give a slight edge to klay right now. hes not just a better shooter, a much better shooter and better scorer in general. lance can score with efficiency ok, but he also gets out of control with the turnovers.

offensively, i will take klay's ability to space the floor over lance's ability to create. i watched klay play often in college, he is known for shooting but he is a very competent passer, defender, and can take a guy off the dribble. i think their D is even.

i do think Lance has a higher ceiling. with his body, he could add a deadly post up game to his arsenal and cut back on the turnovers could pull him ahead bc its so close.

also, im not totally convinced lance has his 10cent head rep behind him. he is reigned in pretty well in indy but say he leaves for a less healthy environment i see it as a big risk. i wouldnt want him as a main attraction for my team. but he is becoming not just a 3rd option but very good 2nd option with room to grow.

tredigs
02-12-2014, 07:28 PM
I really wish they'd let threads like this breathe in the main forum for an hour or two before moving it to the dead zones of the site. I'd be pretty curious to see some more takes on it.

todu82
02-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Lance Stephenson