PDA

View Full Version : NBA's 'TheStarters': Your Thoughts

JasonJohnHorn
02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
I love watching insightful basketball conversations from interesting people. NBA.com has the roundtable discussions with Webber, Barkley, Kerr, Smith, Smith, Shaq and whoever else was there with Ernie acting as MC, and I loved watching that, even if sometimes I thought they didn't know what they were talking about. I love getting perspectives from guys who played and guy who played different positions to see what they think is important.

This season NBA.com keep has a group of three guys they call 'The Starters'. Frankly speaking, I don't find their thoughts interesting or insightful and perhaps even more problematic than that, the group is basically four white guys. I don't want to get into a 'race' and 'gender' conversation, because I know that can go all wrong on forums like these, but the utter lack of diversity in this group is appalling. There are no women and no people of colour. I think I'd actually rather was SAS and that guy who was a bench player on his highschool team through out outlandish comments just to troll fans and generate traffic for ESPN than watch these guys.

What has your impression been of these guys? I mean, they seem nice enough, but... I'm not sure they are worth watching.

Stunner
02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Yea I like these guys very entertaining collection of guys outside of the TNT crew and Rose and Bill Simmons.

Bob_at_york
02-12-2014, 02:23 PM
I have only watched it a couple of times but I think half the guys are from a show that aired here in Canada and they had a blog and everything. They aren't experts and I think they go for laughs a lot.

kingsdelez24
02-12-2014, 03:23 PM
These guys used to host "Basketball Jones" on TheScore in Canada before it was bought out

Ebbs
02-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Tas is good. Don't like Skeeter And the other guys I don't know because this is the Basketball Jones.

douglas
02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
The show is meant to be more of a fan's perspective of basketball. Casual fans do not want to listen and talk about in depth analysis all the time, but instead they just want to laugh at the silly things that sometimes happen during an NBA game.

mjt20mik
02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Don't like the show at all. And this is coming from a guy who loved the Basketball Jones in Canada.

shep33
02-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Yeah these guys were on the Score for a while. Absolutely loved The Basketball Jones

Mr_Jones
02-12-2014, 04:33 PM
There's no such thing as a "basketball expert." I've heard more moronic things said from past NBA players than anyone else. Basketball experts are analysts who are guessing.. They're basically less than a Weatherman.

Look at draft experts; they are scouts and are supposed to predict how these player's careers will wind up, but they have absolutely no idea how it's going to go.

I'd rather watch The Starters since they're just fans.. They don't have any false "expert" title behind them.

tredigs
02-12-2014, 04:38 PM
The show is meant to be more of a fan's perspective of basketball. Casual fans do not want to listen and talk about in depth analysis all the time, but instead they just want to laugh at the silly things that sometimes happen during an NBA game.

You feeling alright?

static_inferno
02-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I remember watching a couple Basketball Jones videos back in the day, and I liked it. The Starters is your average joes hosting a show. It's a nice contrast to TNT/NBATV's pros. I like TNT/NBATV because they get the NBA players with personality who can provide analysis and laughs. Similarly these guys provide laughs and are like the dudes you chat with about sports at work.

ManRam
02-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Never been my cup of tea.

sunsfan88
02-12-2014, 05:02 PM
It's pretty stupid. They try to be funny but they really aren't funny.