PDA

View Full Version : Is Paul George overrated?

StarvingKnick22
02-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Everybody's going crazy over him, but he's a bad shot taker on and off the court, settles for shots, and turnover prone. He's overrated because of how well his teammates play. Anyone else feel this way?

b@llhog24
02-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Everybody's going crazy over him, but he's a bad shot taker on and off the court, settles for shots, and turnover prone. He's overrated because of how well his teammates play. Anyone else feel this way?

Lmao.

b@llhog24
02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
But like always it depends on what you've seen. I think some people think he's dragging the Pacers somewhere rather than the other way around. I'll say I probably underrated him though without putting in too much thought into it.

ManRam
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Like b@llhog said and like I always say, it depends on how you think he's rated and who you're talking to. I would say that generally speaking, when he was being touted as an MVP candidate early in he season he was being overrated by many. He certainly has gotten better, but he's sill go some work to do to get to the level some were very eager to place him at.

PacersForLife
02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't think anybody is really talking him up lately. I would say he deserved to be talked about early in the season because he was playing really well. Lately, he hasn't looked all that great.

bholly
02-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Turnover prone? Compared to what?

abe_froman
02-11-2014, 07:24 PM
how so? he's a top level player ,and havent heard anyone claiming he's like better than lebron or durant

Clippersfan86
02-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Agree with guys above. Depends on who's talking about him. MVP caliber, top 5 player? Nope. Definitely a franchise player and at worst borderline superstar though which is great for a 3rd year player. He's in the 7-10 range IMO. Should of been a Clipper got damn it.

BklynKnicks3
02-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Hell yes

Chronz
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Yes if you compare him to superstars, no if you compare him to Melo.

slaker619
02-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Nah, he finally been getting well deserved love still needs more tho imo

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
depends where you rate him. If you believe he is an MVP candidate, you are overrating him. If you think he is outside the top 12 players, you are underrating him.

Clippersfan86
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM

Lmao.

KnicksorBust
02-11-2014, 11:03 PM

Reported for baiting.

Supreme LA
02-11-2014, 11:06 PM

You're such a douche. It's no surprise you'd come in and bait.

bucketss
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
that was a shot at brkylnknciks i think lmafo

IndyRealist
02-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Reported for baiting.

Doesn't really seem like baiting since Melo is often touted as one of the top players in the league at the same position as Paul George. Knicks fans seem a little bit touchy these days.

To answer the question, yes Paul George is overrated. Is he all-star level? Yes. Is he turnover prone and gets baited into shooting contests? Absolutely. The Pacers have a system which works pretty well, but Paul George is the player most likely to deviate from the plan and make the Pacers offense look really, really bad. But I said the same thing last year when they let him work through his mistakes, and it paid off big time. So I'll hold my criticism until what he's doing seriously hampers the team.

cmellofan15
02-11-2014, 11:14 PM
I don't think it's baiting when you're talking about the most RELEVANT comparisons and how he fares in the argument.

But then again, I'm not sure why the comparisons are made between him and the top 3 in the league, or the complete player on the best team in the league versus the really good scorer on a team near the bottom of the league. But Chronz isn't the one to blame for the comparisons.....

jsthornton7
02-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Paul George is one the best defensive players in the league, arguably the best perimeter defender in the NBA. He's been slumping a bit, but you guys seem to have forgotten how well he played in the playoffs last season. If he can replicate that performance in the playoffs, nobody is gonna care if his play went down in January & February. I'll refrain from calling him overrated until then.

NBA_Starter
02-11-2014, 11:56 PM
I would like to start by saying that I am not hating on him but I think the media does overrate him a bit, he is very good no doubt but some of the talk is ridiculous for this stage of his career.

FlashBolt
02-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Yeah, he has disappointed me. Huge drop in terms of performance. Lance Stephenson may be playing better than him 30% of the time and he doesn't get any credit.

Duncan = Donkey
02-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Massively overrated, ive seen people list him as the 3rd best player in the league.

chipper10
02-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Overrated right now? Maybe. But hes also had a lot of off the court issues these last few months and oddly enough they seem to be getting in his head. He will still end up having a great year and probably a deep playoff run tho.

P&GRealist
02-12-2014, 01:17 AM
He's a top 15 player right now from what I've seen so far. He's fallen back to earth since the new yr. Still has a long ways to get to the top 10.

ThaDubs
02-12-2014, 01:20 AM
Yeah, he's an all star but not a superstar top 5 player like people suggest. Pretty good offensive player and a great defender.

Dade County
02-12-2014, 01:35 AM
The media and the NBA has hyped up pg soooo much that I shack my head every time I hear his name. I mean it has been so stage, that I can't even take him or the Pacers seriously (not saying they are not a good team).

I feel that Lbj extended the playoff series between the HEAT & Pacers (2yrs in a row). If the HEAT beat them 4-0 or 4-1, pg never gets that contract, because they would be NO hype behind him to warrant a deal like that.

Not saying pg isn't a good player, but he is know where near being a super star type of player. And they even timed it out, so that Danny Granger came back after the Pacers played the HEAT (2nd time), so the Pacer fans and the media could focus only pg when it came to Pacers news.

I don't care what anyone says, if you go back and look at past super stars in this league... No one in there right mind would ever try to compare pg to anyone of them (but he play's good defensive though...lmao).

Once again, pg is a good player and he still has a lot of room to grow.

zn23
02-12-2014, 01:38 AM
He's overrated in the sense that he's not an MVP candidate, at least not a competitive. But overall I think he's solid.

Chronz
02-12-2014, 02:03 AM
You're such a douche. It's no surprise you'd come in and bait.
Hows that baiting? If anyone is baiting its the guy resorting to personal insults.

Reported for baiting.
but ... but.... I thought we were friends...

jayjay33
02-12-2014, 02:14 AM
Lmao.....I don't know what's considered baiting but it was definitely a cheap shot.

I like melo, But That was funny cause it came out of nowhere. Melo was minding his own business and got stole, bam right across the face. Just for GP. Lol

Sadds The Gr8
02-12-2014, 04:35 AM

this

ironkobe
02-12-2014, 05:06 AM
yes he is overrated just like d rose

JasonJohnHorn
02-12-2014, 08:08 AM
I think after last year's post season, people got VERY excited about him, and for good reason. Likewise, they got very excited about Hibbert (dude averaged 20/10 against Miami). I think that performance lifted him in the minds of many, just as Hibbert's performance in the playoffs secured a spot on the All-Star team this year, even if there were a couple of other players who may have been more deserving.

This year the Pacers have seen the development of Lance Stephenson, who has been playing great basketball. They have also seen the return over Danny Granger. These two things have allowed the Pacers to focus on team ball, which forces other teams to pick and choose who they need to double. It makes the team better. George's numbers haven't been numbers that you would compare to LeBron and Durant, but they have improved.

His FG% is up to .442 from .419 (it still needs to come up). His scoring average is up 5 points, but his rebounds and assists are down slightly (in part due to the fact that he is averaging a little less in minutes, and in part because Stephenson is handling the ball more and is rebounding the ball very well).

Paul George is NEVER going to put up numbers like LBJ or Durant, at least not in Indy where the focus is on team ball (like it was for the Piston in 04, the Spurs for the past 20 years and the Celtics during the Doc/big three era).

Is he overrated? If you rank him as the third best sf... I think that's fair. I think Melo has an edge over him still, but being younger and likely the better defender, I can see how some would give PG a higher value. I think it is still: LBJ/Durant then Melo and then PG. I think those who are putting him at Melo's level right now might be overrating him, but his number would be very different if he were on a team like NY that gave him more shots.

It's like LBJ in Miami. His scoring average took a hit when he started playing with Wade and Bosh. We all know he could be averaging 33 or maybe even 35 if his mentality was to go out and score as much as he wanted, but LBJ wants to share the ball and help his teammate get involved and play well because he knows that gives him his best chance to win. I think Paul George knows that already and I think Melo still hasn't learned that.

As a player, Melo is still more skilled, but if I was a GM I'd take PG over Melo now, even if they were the same age.

Swashcuff
02-12-2014, 08:18 AM
I don't get those who say he's overrated if you said he was an MVP candidate? I mean honestly wasn't he one to start the season? The first couple months or so he was averaging 24+ ppg on a TS% of 61% while playing exceptional D and sharing the ball pretty well all for a team that solidly held the best record in the NBA. IMO that's without question an MVP candidate. That wasn't overrating him. He has such tailed off and with the play of KD/Thunder he really has no business being considered a candidate currently but if you considered him one before the turn of the year you'd have solid reasoning.

I think with PG its more a regression to the mean but he's still a quality two way wing player. Overrated or underrated depends on who you talk to but he's having one helluva season even with his recent regression.

Htownballa1622
02-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I've been saying this for months. Yes he is overrated.

JordansBulls
02-12-2014, 01:46 PM

What??? He may be considered a top 2 SF in the league right now. Definitely the best defender at forward in the league right now.

SportsFanatic10
02-12-2014, 01:49 PM

haha good answer

SportsFanatic10
02-12-2014, 01:49 PM
What??? He may be considered a top 2 SF in the league right now. Definitely the best defender at forward in the league right now.

lebrons a better defender than him. george looks better than he is on defense because he has hibbert behind him in the paint.

IndyRealist
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
KD and Lebron are lightyears ahead of him. It's a debate for #3, not #2.

Jamiecballer
02-12-2014, 02:41 PM
he's a little overrated to me because i find his offensive game is lagging behind his defensive game by a considerable margin.

sep11ie
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
But if there was a rumor the Knicks were gonna sign him the OP would be all up on is D.

JordansBulls
02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
lebrons a better defender than him. george looks better than he is on defense because he has hibbert behind him in the paint.
Not the past two seasons he hasn't been.

Pacerlive
02-12-2014, 03:08 PM

Please... Even KD has better numbers defenisvely than Lebron this year.

Stunner
02-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Lmao the poll

Phenomenonsense
02-12-2014, 05:24 PM

This. Ron Swanson is always right.

NYSpirit1
02-13-2014, 12:15 AM

I think the entire Indiana Pacers organization is overrated. That 40-12 record is so flukey, I can't even take it.

Roy Hibbert made the All-Star game and he's averaging 11 points and 7 rebounds. That has to be the worst All-Star ever.

Paul George has slumped massive after an incredibly hot start.

They're a VERY well coached team and play some of the best defense. But they're 6-4 in their last 10 and I can easily see Miami taking the top spot. I just don't think Indiana is that good.