PDA

View Full Version : No Need To Worry - LeBron Has His Own Dunk Contest, In Practice!

Walt
02-11-2014, 10:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/10433352/lebron-james-puts-dunk-display-miami-heat-practice

Lol. Not a hate thread on LeBron, one of my favorite players. But this makes me wonder if ESPN just gets this video up in an attempt to protect LeBron's absence from the Dunk Contest forever now.

JLynn943
02-11-2014, 11:08 AM
I like LeBron, but it seems like almost every year recently - after the participants are announced and he's not one of them - that he says or does something to keep people wanting him to do it and/or thinking he might next year.

Some of those dunks were solid dunk contest dunks, but nothing incredible.

Walt
02-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah, and I'm not even sure LeBron would win if he entered. Definitely one of the best in-game dunkers, and player I'd get out the way the fastest for in a poster (not including big men such as Jordan, Drummond, etc...) but his creativity isn't up there with some of these others.

NYKnickFanatic
02-11-2014, 11:37 AM
So instead of having someone throw him the ball, he throws them off the wall and does a basic dunk?

Meh.

Timing needs to be perfect, but nothing worth watching.

jerellh528
02-11-2014, 11:53 AM
The video said Lebron dazzles with dunk display, but I'm on my phone so I don't think I watched a full version. What else happened besides the two lame dunks I watched where he throws it off a wall?

Walt
02-11-2014, 12:13 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNQpDwQCUAAOpSd.jpg:large

RateSports
02-11-2014, 12:24 PM
The reactions in this thread are why LBJ will never do a dunk contest. People just aren't impressed no matter what he does.

He could hit a 300 foot shot and people would be like "Well I mean he is 6'9 so he should be able to throw a basketball that far".

Max.This
02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
The reactions in this thread are why LBJ will never do a dunk contest. People just aren't impressed no matter what he does.

He could hit a 300 foot shot and people would be like "Well I mean he is 6'9 so he should be able to throw a basketball that far".

maybe so, but these are dunks many nba players can do. I'm sure he can do 360 windmills and between the legs, but the ones in the video are typical dunks many nba players can do. It shouldnt even warrant a thread

Walt
02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
It's more of the fact that he has said a few times that he will participate. That draws so much interest, especially from the best player in the league who could potentially be top 5 when it's all said and done.

The dunks he threw down were "basic" but the throws he made and the catches were unreal. My main point is the question of, is ESPN just trying to protect LeBron by showing these dunks?

Walt
02-11-2014, 12:33 PM
maybe so, but these are dunks many nba players can do. I'm sure he can do 360 windmills and between the legs, but the ones in the video are typical dunks many nba players can do. It shouldnt even warrant a thread

I didn't start the thread with the intention to highlight his dunks. I asked a question about ESPN.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-11-2014, 12:40 PM
he did say that hes more of a power dunker..

mike_noodles
02-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Yawn, they were all weak dunks.

Walt
02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
he did say that hes more of a power dunker..

Of course. There is one dunk he threw down against (Atlanta I think??) where the sound of the dunk just reverberated through the arena.

naps
02-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Dunk contest means absolutely nothing. It's a joke contest. Why should LeBron bless this joke with his presence?

Crackadalic
02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Im mad this was a story to talk about 3-4 times on first take lol.

STRIKERC
02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure half the league can do those dunks easily in the confines of their practice facility and in front of their teammates. Let's see him dunk in a packed Arena, with the world watching.
I wonder how many time the tried that before he finally got the timing right. Wonder how many video clips were deleted.

Minimal
02-11-2014, 02:10 PM
I dont know why he does that or its just the media that always brings it up near the all star break. You either do the dunk contest or just sit and watch how others participate, don't need to do this show off dunks... Ohh and the dunks are pretty weak, nothing special.

Deception
02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
He's a power dunker, his dunks in game are impressive but when it comes to style and finesse, he lacks that, he would compete just because of his name but his dunks are not dunk contest worthy.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 02:50 PM
LeBron wouldn't win a dunk contest anyways. He is a great in game, power dunker, but lacks the creativity.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure half the league can do those dunks easily in the confines of their practice facility and in front of their teammates. Let's see him dunk in a packed Arena, with the world watching.
I wonder how many time the tried that before he finally got the timing right. Wonder how many video clips were deleted.

to be fair, no way 75% of the league can do those dunks. But to win the dunk contest (or at least it used to be this way before the contest became super lame), you need creativity, something I have never seen from his practice dunks.

ModernDaySavage
02-11-2014, 03:14 PM
I get what you guys are saying about his creativity, but why the hell would he try to do some insane *** dunk that would win the competition? He's just doing a few easy ones that have minimal chance for injury. Now him launching it off the wall and going for a 360 under the legs or something, the injury chance just sky rockets. No need for him to even try.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Dunk contest means absolutely nothing. It's a joke contest. Why should LeBron bless this joke with his presence?

With this one statement, you just put down a big part of who Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins and Vince Carter were, and also the original dunk contest aficionado Dr. J.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 03:39 PM
On First Take today, Stephen A. Smith called LeBron 'selfish' for doing this on the eve days of the dunk contest, undermining the value of this yr's dunk contest by showing others "look what I can do, I just choose not to partake".

Stephen A. said that by doing that, LeBron basically disrespected the competitors of this yr's contestants and essentially took away the excitement of this yr's contest despite having George and Lillard because now on people's minds, it will be the theme of "what could have been".

The timeliness of this video is the worst for LeBron and that IMO was NOT a smart move on him.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
On First Take today, Stephen A. Smith called LeBron 'selfish' for doing this on the eve days of the dunk contest, undermining the value of this yr's dunk contest by showing others "look what I can do, I just choose not to partake".

Stephen A. said that by doing that, LeBron basically disrespected the competitors of this yr's contestants and essentially took away the excitement of this yr's contest despite having George and Lillard because now on people's minds, it will be the theme of "what could have been".

The timeliness of this video is the worst for LeBron and that IMO was NOT a smart move on him.

does anyone care what SAS actually has to say?

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 03:59 PM
With this one statement, you just put down a big part of who Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins and Vince Carter were, and also the original dunk contest aficionado Dr. J.

the problem is, nobody cares about it anymore. Haven't for years. It doesn't bring out the best dunkers. The contest doesn't have the same respect it used to. Hasn't in yeaaaaaaaaaaaars.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 04:00 PM
I get what you guys are saying about his creativity, but why the hell would he try to do some insane *** dunk that would win the competition? He's just doing a few easy ones that have minimal chance for injury. Now him launching it off the wall and going for a 360 under the legs or something, the injury chance just sky rockets. No need for him to even try.

guys like Dr. J, MJ, Nique, hell, even Blake, in game whip out crazy dunks. Different dunks. LeBron just jack hammers the ball down on every single dunk. While its very impressive, and impossible to stop, he lacks the in game creativity of the best dunkers to play.

tredigs
02-11-2014, 04:08 PM
This thread should be accompanied by his quote today saying he'd win the contest "if" he took part.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2014/02/lebron-james-says-he-would-win-the-nba-slam-dunk-contest/

Someone asked Wade today how LeBron would do in the dunk contest. LeBron cut in and answered for Wade: "I'd win."

I saw no dunks here or in the last few years that indicate he would win a dunk contest. I'm not sure he could pull off in a contest what Paul George can pull off in a game.

More than that, what's with this new persona of making fans want to hate on him? Funny thing is that the reporter wasn't even talking to him, it was an easy "I'll just let Wade do the talking for me". Does he say half the **** he's said this season if Bosh and Ray don't bail him out as the last guy to miss in game 6? Highly doubt it.

RateSports
02-11-2014, 04:08 PM

He did an under the legs dunk in a game before....

In high school.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 04:21 PM
does anyone care what SAS actually has to say?

Seeing as how almost all superstars are always willing to have a sit down interview with him, like when Dwight left for Houston and his first interview was with SAS, and Kobe with his sit downs with SAS, and others stars.

IKnowHoops
02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
LeBron wouldn't win a dunk contest anyways. He is a great in game, power dunker, but lacks the creativity.

At this point in his career, not sure. His entire career in cleveland, he would win because his launch point and height would be from a distance never before seen. If Dwight Howard can win a dunk contest, then Lebron can easily.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
the problem is, nobody cares about it anymore. Haven't for years. It doesn't bring out the best dunkers. The contest doesn't have the same respect it used to. Hasn't in yeaaaaaaaaaaaars.

Although this is true, why not just join the dunk contest and put a smile on fans' faces? If you're the best player in the world and the face of the league, should you not have a good lookout for the league by helping bring the dunk contest back to prominence?

IKnowHoops
02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
This thread should be accompanied by his quote today saying he'd win the contest "if" he took part.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2014/02/lebron-james-says-he-would-win-the-nba-slam-dunk-contest/

I saw no dunks here or in the last few years that indicate he would win a dunk contest. I'm not sure he could pull off in a contest what Paul George can pull off in a game.

More than that, what's with this new persona of making fans want to hate on him? Funny thing is that the reporter wasn't even talking to him, it was an easy "I'll just let Wade do the talking for me". Does he say half the **** he's said this season if Bosh and Ray don't bail him out as the last guy to miss in game 6? Highly doubt it.

He took off from the free throw line in an NBA game. He could definitely win the dunk contest. It would be harder for him now but he is still the most explosive player in the league so he could still do it. In his cleveland days it would of been no contest and an easy win. All he has to do is just take off from behind the free throw line two handed, and I know he could of done it.

IKnowHoops
02-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Again Dwight howard and Blake Griffin won dunk contests. Lebron could easily win one. I understand the risk reward in partaking in it though. Absolutely no reward for winning it at all so why do it.

Ty_Lawson
02-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Yes he has, because he can't lose that way -.-

tredigs
02-11-2014, 04:32 PM
He took off from the free throw line in an NBA game. He could definitely win the dunk contest. It would be harder for him now but he is still the most explosive player in the league so he could still do it. In his cleveland days it would of been no contest and an easy win. All he has to do is just take off from behind the free throw line two handed, and I know he could of done it.

FT line dunks don't net you dunk contests any more, we saw that with Ibaka. And I don't think Lebron can out leap Ibaka and dunk two handed from the stripe.

Regardless, a guy who has constantly refused to do the event (despite saying he would when it's multiple months away) should stfu about saying he could win it, especially when it's not even him who is asked the question and it's far from a guarantee. I wouldn't lay him as a favorite, that's for sure.

He's just become a parody of himself at this point. Like he wants fans to bag on him (but really, I think he's just too clueless to realize the message it sends). It's disappointing.

TorontoHuskies
02-11-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't know what it is but Lebron makes dunking look ugly...I almost think he's too bulky but than I see Blake griffin and I can't justify that, I don't know what it is but he lacks something.

tredigs
02-11-2014, 04:50 PM
^Well Lebron is not the dunker that Blake is, and doesn't have the personality that Howard does (did?) to win over the crowd/judges.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 05:06 PM
LeBron is an ambassador for the league. The face of the league. I do think he'll do the dunk contest one of these days. I'm sure of it, he just has to.

Minimal
02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
On the other hand you see LeBron never attemps some flashy dunks, he always dunks to be 100% sure he is gonna make it. Guy has incredible vertical leap and you never know maybe he is just hiding his creativity, maybe he wants to take part in dunk contest, but in near future, thats why he might not be showing what he can really do.

TrueFan420
02-11-2014, 05:53 PM

So is the all star game but you don't see him turning those down

Goose17
02-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I genuinely believe he doesn't see the point because there's nothing in it for him. He gains very little if he wins and only fuels the haters if he loses. Why subject himself to that?

Also it would only invite more Jordan comparisons "Look at Jordans dunk contest compared to Lebron, it was SO much better!"

It's possible he may even be afraid of losing due to the fact that nobody would ever let him live it down.

Somebody mentioned Lebron lacked the personality to win over judges, you're tripping. Lebron is one of the most fun players to see off the court, he's a genuinely funny guy.

tredigs
02-11-2014, 06:30 PM
^It was me who mentioned the personality bit in comparison to Dwight. I could be wrong, but I doubt we'd see LBJ coming out with anything like the superman cape + intro, etc. Dwight just has a personality that worked at the time and I don't see Lebron going that route.

Anyway, I could care less about Lebron joining the contest. I have no interest in the contest to be honest. It's the fact that he says he can win and refuses to enter that just adds up on this theme of "if I wanted to"s that surrounds him now a days. It's so tired.

jerellh528
02-11-2014, 06:42 PM
I genuinely believe he doesn't see the point because there's nothing in it for him. He gains very little if he wins and only fuels the haters if he loses. Why subject himself to that?

Also it would only invite more Jordan comparisons "Look at Jordans dunk contest compared to Lebron, it was SO much better!"

It's possible he may even be afraid of losing due to the fact that nobody would ever let him live it down.

Somebody mentioned Lebron lacked the personality to win over judges, you're tripping. Lebron is one of the most fun players to see off the court, he's a genuinely funny guy.

Exactly, fear of scrutiny. Same reason he likes to defer in critical moments. Anyways, he sees no point in it? Hmmm how about the entire reason for all star weekend? The fans.

b@llhog24
02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Yet this is the guy people are petitioning for to be in the dunk contest? Lmao.

b@llhog24
02-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Exactly, fear of scrutiny. Same reason he likes to defer in critical moments. Anyways, he sees no point in it? Hmmm how about the entire reason for all star weekend? The fans.

The same fans who'll **** on him beyond belief when he loses? Please, if you're a star player thinking about doing every little thing your fans want you to do will send you crazy.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Seeing as how almost all superstars are always willing to have a sit down interview with him, like when Dwight left for Houston and his first interview was with SAS, and Kobe with his sit downs with SAS, and others stars.

I mean us as fans.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Although this is true, why not just join the dunk contest and put a smile on fans' faces? If you're the best player in the world and the face of the league, should you not have a good lookout for the league by helping bring the dunk contest back to prominence?

that can be said of the best dunkers over the past 10+ years. Why single out LeBron?

The contest is lame. Has been for a long time. Saying nobody cares about it is not disrespecting MJ, Nique, or any of the other great dunkers from yesterday.

IKnowHoops
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
FT line dunks don't net you dunk contests any more, we saw that with Ibaka. And I don't think Lebron can out leap Ibaka and dunk two handed from the stripe.

Regardless, a guy who has constantly refused to do the event (despite saying he would when it's multiple months away) should stfu about saying he could win it, especially when it's not even him who is asked the question and it's far from a guarantee. I wouldn't lay him as a favorite, that's for sure.

He's just become a parody of himself at this point. Like he wants fans to bag on him (but really, I think he's just too clueless to realize the message it sends). It's disappointing.

Cant out leap Ibaka? Dang man, your off on this one. First off, he's way faster than Ibaka, so thats what will give him the free throw line dunk. When your 6'11'' and you just reach for it then no you won't win, but if you leap and put some style into it, then yes. Ibaka's dunk looked awful. Bron's would look great. Secondly you get disappointed to easily if a guy saying he would win it bugs you. At this point you just hate on Lebron period. Some things aren't worth hating on but you seem to never miss an opportunity to hate on him so its obviously personal at this point so whatever.

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
:horse:

tredigs
02-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Cant out leap Ibaka? Dang man, your off on this one. First off, he's way faster than Ibaka, so thats what will give him the free throw line dunk. When your 6'11'' and you just reach for it then no you won't win, but if you leap and put some style into it, then yes. Ibaka's dunk looked awful. Bron's would look great. Secondly you get disappointed to easily if a guy saying he would win it bugs you. At this point you just hate on Lebron period. Some things aren't worth hating on but you seem to never miss an opportunity to hate on him so its obviously personal at this point so whatever.

He's just making it too easy to hate on him. I love that he says he would win, what I'm hating on is that he's saying this without having the balls to enter it. For you not to realize that highlights the homer in you.

With the right choreography I'm sure he actually could take it down in some scenarios, but it would have to be much better than what we've seen from him in game or from this video.

As for being able to out leap Ibaka? Prove it? I've seen Ibaka dunk from the foul line on multiple occasions outside of that contest, and he's a 24 year old at the peak of his athletic ability. Lebron 5 years ago could - and while his athletic decline is overstated - I don't think he has that in him anymore.

Anyway, good call Bosstone. This one's dead.

NBA_Starter
02-11-2014, 11:37 PM
He needs to just enter the Contest and get it over with.

FlashBolt
02-12-2014, 12:52 AM
He would win but it doesn't make him any less of a player if he doesn't. Stop hating. When no names like Jeremy Evans can win it, that's a trash competition. Don't get me wrong, LeBron is a great dunker and surely exciting but like many have said, he is not a creative planning dunker. He can do those dunks with his eyes closed. What LeBron needs to do is put all his effort into winning another ring. He can win the dunk contest but if he loses in the playoffs, what are all of you going to say?