PDA

View Full Version : Why doesnt Lebron want to participate in the dunk contest?

sammyvine
02-11-2014, 09:40 AM
He put on a great show I just saw on a video and he is one of the best dunkers ever....

Are people not disappointed or am i just being silly? All the greats (who had/have dunking ability) have participated in the dunk contest MJ, Kobe, Vince Carter, Dominque etc....

Is it a brand thing where he scared he will lose? Who cares if he looses, at least he participated. Will people really hate lebron because ''he lost in the dunk contest''.

D-Leethal
02-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Fear of failure.

krrys11
02-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Fear of failure.

+1

Plus he is more in game dunker than a showman.

Dade County
02-11-2014, 09:50 AM
I think it's a jinx thing... It's all mental when it comes to Le-con.

kdspurman
02-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Fear of failure.

This was always my thinking as well

poleandreel
02-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Why do it when he knows he can't win it? He is a great player and great in game dunker. Some people aren't meant for dunk contests and he's one of them. Not a slight at him, he knows this as well, hence why he never participated.

It's so annoying when people want him in it every year. I'd rather see the people who are made for dunk contests do it. The Nate Robinsons, Gerald Greens, and Terrence Rosses of the world are all more flashy and better trick dunkers.

ztilzer31
02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Dunk contests wear you out. He probably just wants the extra days off before making a run a the campionship.

The fear of failure is straight stupid though. Unless you think every great dunker in the last 5 years is afraid of failing... Which I think is an absurd statement when talking about A PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PLAYER.

DERP!

John Walls Era
02-11-2014, 10:36 AM
lol hes scared??? yeah the guy won 2 championships and multiple mvps, but hes scared of a dunk contest.

SluggeR
02-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Fear of failure is silly. We are talking about a multi-time MVP & champion. Lebron actually had a lot to gain if he entered the contest in his younger years.

I think he recognizes who he is. Lebron is an amazing in-game dunker, but he lacks the creativity to thrive in a dunk contest. Anybody who watched him in the McDonald's All-American dunk contest realizes this. The guy can jump as high as anyone and slam it as hard as anyone, but he lacks the creativity. The slams he does in the game that makes you jump out your seat, would be just regular dunks in a dunk contest..

b@llhog24
02-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I've never understood why people care about this so much.

SluggeR
02-11-2014, 10:57 AM
The biggest problems with the dunk contest is that the league keeps tinkering with it. The league should allow to let any player in the league put their name in the pool, so at least you will have the guys that actually want to be there in the contest. If the league wants to put a number on how many can be in the contest that's fine, but the league needs to stop handpicking who they want.

jchase3
02-11-2014, 11:00 AM
he's obviously just scared of losing... he's not as great of a dunker as the media makes him out to be. he's more of an in-game dunker.

jgthegame1982
02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
He looks like an idiot.. Showing off dunks with his teammates.. 11 straight years he says no.. Even MJ did it., bum!

kdspurman
02-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Fear of failure is silly. We are talking about a multi-time MVP & champion. Lebron actually had a lot to gain if he entered the contest in his younger years.

I think he recognizes who he is. Lebron is an amazing in-game dunker, but he lacks the creativity to thrive in a dunk contest. Anybody who watched him in the McDonald's All-American dunk contest realizes this. The guy can jump as high as anyone and slam it as hard as anyone, but he lacks the creativity. The slams he does in the game that makes you jump out your seat, would be just regular dunks in a dunk contest..

I wouldn't say that.

Do you ever battle a fear of failure?

That's one of my biggest obstacles. I'm afraid of failure. I want to succeed so bad that I become afraid of failing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24087923/lebron-james-im-afraid-of-failure

Swashcuff
02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Fear of failure and embarrassment.

Just thought I'd add a bit.

ManRam
02-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Because he doesn't want to. And he doesn't have to.

Swashcuff
02-11-2014, 11:24 AM
I've never understood why people care about this so much.

Why shouldn't we? The man is probably the greatest athlete to ever step foot on a basketball court throwing down highlight reel dunks since he was in middle school, hell he even said that he'd take part in the contest one year. TBH the dunk contest is the most memorable part of all star weekend (more so than the ASGs themselves) and he's seen as probably the best dunker never to take part.

SportsFanatic10
02-11-2014, 11:33 AM
i don't think hes afraid of losing or failing. the dunk contest has become pretty ridiculous now with all the props. i remember derozan saying he'd never compete again after being robbed a few years ago because of the stupid props and cheerleaders and bands etc. here's a couple interesting lines from an article i pulled.

James has never participated in the event during his 11-year career. He offered somewhat of a prediction if he ever competed. A reporter asked Wade what would happen if James entered. Before Wade could answer, James said, "I'd win."

Wade agreed, saying it would be one of the most watched events in NBA history. He also warned the public would possibly have to deal with disappointment.

"I think people are going to expect him to jump off the airplane," Wade said. "I think the expectations are so high, it might be a small letdown. The man can fly. Blake Griffin jumped over a car so they're going to want LeBron James to jump over something else."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-miami-heat-news-0211-20140210,0,3035230.story

NYKnickFanatic
02-11-2014, 11:38 AM
He's an in game dunker. That's all.

Big Zo
02-11-2014, 11:43 AM
We get to watch him do highlight reel dunks in pregame. WITHOUT Kenny Smith's annoying voice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LXl462Iba3w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXakhD3IaWY

Steelers23_06
02-11-2014, 12:11 PM
i feel like he waited too long. its like what wade said the expectations would be too high. whatever he did would be like "we waited 10 years for that?!". like wade said he would pretty much have to jump over a helicopter to win haha. and its a lose-lose situation if he wins the competition "he was supposed to win anyway" and if he loses its "thats why he didnt want to compete"

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-11-2014, 12:14 PM
he can do couple of dunks and thats it.

no creativity

Stunner
02-11-2014, 12:15 PM
We can stop caring he said " I'm gonna be 30 next year , I won't be in any dunk contest "

DitchDat
02-11-2014, 12:29 PM
In my opinion, if he participates and wins, he has overcome the last barrier. It's the only thing you can still hate on him for.

LAKobeBryant
02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Fans vote and he knows he still has haters but he's stupid. NBA will fix it for you no matter what to get you back to defend your title next year

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Dunk contests wear you out. He probably just wants the extra days off before making a run a the campionship.

The fear of failure is straight stupid though. Unless you think every great dunker in the last 5 years is afraid of failing... Which I think is an absurd statement when talking about A PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PLAYER.

DERP!

But he didn't have any issues expending all that energy during practice.

Can you explain this please?

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
LeBron is often compared to a guy like Kobe, and I can't think of one instance where Kobe would back out of something unless it was an injury.

I remember Kobe taking part in the 2007 Skills challenge (which required good point guard skills like passing, dribbling etc.). Kobe's not the greatest passers for obvious reasons, and he's not the greatest dribbler, but yes he partook in that competition and got smoked by Wade and the others.

There was also the 2008 3 pt shootout. Kobe's not the greatest shooter, but he was going to partake in that contest and was named a contestant before he backed out before of his broken finger, which also limited him to only minute that he played in the 08 all star game the next day.

The problem is, LeBron is good at dunking and he still doesn't partake in it. Makes zero sense.

nickdymez
02-11-2014, 05:08 PM
He's too great to

Bruno
02-11-2014, 05:11 PM
nothing to gain, with something to lose. he doesn't want to be defeated in any fashion regarding the NBA.

plus, he needs rest. 30 is coming up fast and he's carrying his team.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 05:14 PM
nothing to gain, with something to lose. he doesn't want to be defeated in any fashion regarding the NBA.

plus, he needs rest. 30 is coming up fast and he's carrying his team.

Rest with what?

He's doing the same stuff in practice! Does that not expend energy?

kdspurman
02-11-2014, 05:17 PM
i don't think hes afraid of losing or failing. the dunk contest has become pretty ridiculous now with all the props. i remember derozan saying he'd never compete again after being robbed a few years ago because of the stupid props and cheerleaders and bands etc. here's a couple interesting lines from an article i pulled.

James has never participated in the event during his 11-year career. He offered somewhat of a prediction if he ever competed. A reporter asked Wade what would happen if James entered. Before Wade could answer, James said, "I'd win."

Wade agreed, saying it would be one of the most watched events in NBA history. He also warned the public would possibly have to deal with disappointment.

"I think people are going to expect him to jump off the airplane," Wade said. "I think the expectations are so high, it might be a small letdown. The man can fly. Blake Griffin jumped over a car so they're going to want LeBron James to jump over something else."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-miami-heat-news-0211-20140210,0,3035230.story

I put this in the first page but there was a quote from him saying the exact opposite. I agree it's become bad in recent years, but just cause of who he is he already has a leg up on the other guys. I think personally it's a combination of not wanting to lose, and simply not being a slam dunk contest kind of dunker. In game power dunking is his thing.

Do you ever battle a fear of failure?:
That's one of my biggest obstacles. I'm afraid of failure. I want to succeed so bad that I become afraid of failing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24087923/lebron-james-im-afraid-of-failure

TheIlladelph16
02-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Do people really care about the dunk contest still? The event that has been a joke for years now?

I can understand getting on him a little bit when he was younger, but why on Earth should he do it now? To prove something to some internet message board knuckledraggers who think he is soft and deathly afraid of losing? **** that. He's coming off three straight championship series runs with two rings and two finals MVP all while being the undisputed best player in the league. He doesn't need to prove anything.

But your right, he should appease the fans of a contest who's winner a couple years ago simply jumped over the very front edge of the hood of a ****ing Kia.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Do people really care about the dunk contest still? The event that has been a joke for years now?

I can understand getting on him a little bit when he was younger, but why on Earth should he do it now? To prove something to some internet message board knuckledraggers who think he is soft and deathly afraid of losing? **** that. He's coming off three straight championship series runs with two rings and two finals MVP all while being the undisputed best player in the league. He doesn't need to prove anything.

But your right, he should appease the fans of a contest who's winner a couple years ago simply jumped over the very front edge of the hood of a ****ing Kia.

My question is, why this whole dunk fiasco at practice and video shooting and commenting on it just days before the dunk contest?

Why bring unnecessary attention to yourself at the worst possible time when the contest is just days away?

ThuglifeJ
02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Because he's a baby... I think it's funny when people make excuses for him. He's 100% just afraid of the social media humiliation if he messes up or doesn't do good.

You can see it all over his face when he gets asked that question. He just looks nervous/scared or tries to overcompensate by laughing it off.

And no we don't want to see Gerald Green...we've seen cool trick dunks all over youtube and what not or in the past.. we want to see big names on there so it actually has meaning.

Guys a top player all-time, but he seriously has an annoying personality. I'm sure it ain't easy (social media wise) being such a famous athlete..but come on..Jordan did it, Kobe did it..

He just has a serious issue with fear of embarrassment. If he gets dunked on, messes up, he just acts like such a ***** and tries to act like it never happened. Hence the Nike hiding Jordan Crawford's tape

JordansBulls
02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Because if he didn't do it in his first 4 or so years he wasn't ever going to do it. Also probably no one to motivate him to compete against unless it was Dwight a few years.

ThuglifeJ
02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
The worst part is, he could totally bring the dunk contest back to relevance.. Not that I think he's a good contest dunker, but he could make it meaningful and 10x more entertaining then watching scrubs dunk.

b@llhog24
02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Why shouldn't we? The man is probably the greatest athlete to ever step foot on a basketball court throwing down highlight reel dunks since he was in middle school, hell he even said that he'd take part in the contest one year. TBH the dunk contest is the most memorable part of all star weekend (more so than the ASGs themselves) and he's seen as probably the best dunker never to take part.

But you know he's not gonna do it. It's like being the guy who keep asking a tease to **** him and know it isn't gonna happen.

mjm07
02-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Dunk contest has been irrelevant for yrs. Non issue IMO

Bishnoff
02-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Why do it when he knows he can't win it? He is a great player and great in game dunker. Some people aren't meant for dunk contests and he's one of them. Not a slight at him, he knows this as well, hence why he never participated.

It's so annoying when people want him in it every year. I'd rather see the people who are made for dunk contests do it. The Nate Robinsons, Gerald Greens, and Terrence Rosses of the world are all more flashy and better trick dunkers.

This.

BKLYNpigeon
02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
scared of losing and not meeting everyones expectations.

Lebron is an in game dunker. he can get up high and throw it down hard. Thats it...

KnicksorBust
02-11-2014, 08:03 PM
If he did a windmill 360 we would all think it was lame as hell. If he did it when he was young it would have been a good idea now the hype is out of control. Blake jumped over a parked car... LeBron would have to jump over a moving school bus.

tredigs
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
If he did a windmill 360 we would all think it was lame as hell. If he did it when he was young it would have been a good idea now the hype is out of control. Blake jumped over a parked car... LeBron would have to jump over a moving school bus.

I don't see it that way. If he joined next year as a 30 year old and put on a show it would be much more impressive to me than when he was 21. I'd have pretty tempered expectations, especially after seeing this video, and I doubt I'd be alone.

That said, being that he just opened his mouth and said he'd win it, you're probably right.

sixer04fan
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Are people really still talking about this? Let it go. It's been 10 years.

JordansBulls
02-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Someone asked Wade today how LeBron would do in the dunk contest. LeBron cut in and answered for Wade: "I'd win."

Wade on if LeBron were in the dunk contest: "It'd be one of the most watched events of the year besides the Grammys."

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2014/02/lebron-james-says-he-would-win-the-nba-slam-dunk-contest/

KnicksorBust
02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
"I'm a top 4 player." "I'd win the dunk contest." "I'm a douche."

All accurate.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 08:38 PM
February 11, 2014 is LeBron Day

Should be a national holiday starting next yr.

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Jesus.... Do we really need a new thread every ****ing time Lebron says something? The NBA forum is beginning to pay WAY too much attention to what people say, rather than what they do. Who gives a **** if Lebron says how great he is or that he'd win a dunk contest? Can we actually talk basketball in the basketball forum for a change?

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Tonight's Heat @ Suns game is going to be amazing. Ratings are gonna be through the roof.

Zefflin
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
What a attention wanting loser.

Deception
02-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Jesus.... Do we really need a new thread every ****ing time Lebron says something? The NBA forum is beginning to pay WAY too much attention to what people say, rather than what they do. Who gives a **** if Lebron says how great he is or that he'd win a dunk contest? Can we actually talk basketball in the basketball forum for a change?

This.

Seriously, I feel like I'm on ESPN seeing LeBron's name everywhere.

cmellofan15
02-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Unless he can paint like Ross I don't see it happening

NBA_Starter
02-11-2014, 08:46 PM
I have been a defender of LeBron forever but he needs to just shut up and and enter or shut up period.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 08:47 PM

But dude, you are his advocate in like every thread.

Ill21
02-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Who cares what he says. unless he enters, his words a meaningless

GodsSon
02-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Talk is cheap.

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 09:01 PM

That doesn't mean I want to see a million "Lebron said ____" threads. You want to talk the guy's legacy or his game or his career? Fine. We don't need to have a new discussion thread every time a star player talks to the media and says something slightly out of the norm.

Personally, even if he's earned the right to talk a bit, I think he just needs to shut up and play basketball. I do think he's being honest and a lot of these things are being taken out of context, but he's been in the league long enough now to know better. That being said, I really don't want PSD to turn into the hypersensitive media where every single soundbite turns into a half-hour discussion on Sportscenter. The guy said some **** he shouldn't have said. Who cares? Let's move on.

numba1CHANGsta
02-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Im so sick of hearing this attention whore, this guy is all talk, he needs to go out there and win the dunk contest, anyone can say "I would win" just stfu and put up

tmacsc2
02-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Who cares what he says. unless he enters, his words a meaningless

Talk is cheap.

This.....why the hell does he continue to talk about it and show out in practice and not do it? What a mook!

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Im so sick of hearing this attention whore, this guy is all talk, he needs to go out there and win the dunk contest, anyone can say "I would win" just stfu and put up

Who gives a ****? It's a dunk contest. I don't care if the guy says he could win a ****ing Academy Award. He's a professional basketball player, he's the best player in the world and he just got done winning back-to-back championships. He doesn't to prove anything to anybody anymore.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
02-11-2014, 09:33 PM

This may be the first time, but I completely agree with you. Hell I could win the dunk competition n I'm 5ft 11 n can barely dunk clean. Anyone can say it but talk is cheap. He just wants to keep the spot light on him n the heat since it hasn't been this season as much as it has in the past 2/3 seasons

Supreme LA
02-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Lebron is such a douche. Top 4? No. Dunk contest champ? ****ing walk the walk!

NYJ - NYY
02-11-2014, 09:52 PM

All accurate.

Yeah but my man is killing it I've come to the point where he kinda deserves to be cocky he's got back to back chips countless mvps the stats are there and his intangibles are crazy... Hate playing him always will don't want him on the Knicks ever (not that it's a possibility) but I'd cheer my team but not him (my bad off topic) but his game and accolades are approaching top 5 ever as we speak

Zefflin
02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Lebron is such a douche. Top 4? No. Dunk contest champ? ****ing walk the walk!

What an amazingly accurate guide you have to lebrons game there! haha too good!

kobe4thewinbang
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
He should just man up and do it.
Nobody is going to care about the dunk contest without him.
Not even with the relevant guys stepping up for him in this year's contest.

J4KOP99
02-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Too late now. There's no way he could match the hype at this point.

Reminds me of dr dre and detox. There is no winning now.

Lakers + Giants
02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
I seriously believe it's because he does not want to be seen as shannon brown 2.0

Great in game dunker, but lacks the creativity to come up with a dunk that causes the fans to go crazy when it's not during a real NBA game.

cmellofan15
02-11-2014, 10:49 PM
who actually cares about the dunk contest lol lets find another way to hate and ridicule him that's actually relevant.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-11-2014, 11:04 PM

All accurate.

Lol

bucketss
02-11-2014, 11:10 PM
its hard being the best, king james getting people mad over nothing since 2003

NBA_Starter
02-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to face the backlash of what would happen if he laid an egg.

NBA_Starter
02-11-2014, 11:55 PM

So am I but eventually you just have to let a dead dog lie.

LA_Raiders
02-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Lol, LeDouche

He is afraid to lose.

eibbor
02-12-2014, 12:06 AM
He is the best players in the game, but he would get killed in the dunk contest.

This is not a knock on him at all and all this "in game dunker" talk is bologna. He just isn't skilled enough in that area. Nothing more nothing less. He won't do it because he knows he can't win it.

He is amazing in the categories that matter. Just not that one. I'd take him over any creative dunker. lol

ThuglifeJ
02-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Its like he wants to be disliked. He's do obnoxious

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Sure Bron Bron, Lets act like your not scared to join, lose and have your ego hurt.

Duncan = Donkey
02-12-2014, 12:40 AM
But your too scared to enter........

KniCks4LiFe
02-12-2014, 12:45 AM
LeBron wouldn't win the college slam dunk contest vs Mason Plumlee let alone an NBA one.

Talk is cheap, and that's all he is when it comes to the slam dunk contest.

FlashBolt
02-12-2014, 12:46 AM
You know who's also scared?

Durant, Blake Griffin, Dwight, Westbrook, Wade, Rose, DeAndre, and countless others. The simple fact is there isn't much to gain from a dunk contest. The simply fact is you guys are just using this as another hate thread. Why doesn't Durant get any hate for this? He's not dunking, is he?

KniCks4LiFe
02-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Terrance Ross and John Wall >>> LeBron dunking.

Avenged
02-12-2014, 12:48 AM
He probably would. Who cares. This award does nothing in terms of legacy.

Duncan = Donkey
02-12-2014, 12:48 AM

Durant, Blake Griffin, Dwight, Westbrook, Wade, Rose, DeAndre, and countless others. The simple fact is there isn't much to gain from a dunk contest. The simply fact is you guys are just using this as another hate thread. Why doesn't Durant get any hate for this? He's not dunking, is he?

Find me a quote, where one of those guys say they will win it if they enter. Thats why LeBron gets the hate for this.

JNA17
02-12-2014, 12:49 AM

All accurate.

Pretty much.

His dunks are also lame. It's the same windmill or arms out dunks crap with him. He hasn't shown anything other than being an in game dunker. Can't even beat some average Joe in a game of horse either.

Yeah he would probably win, but it wouldn't be deserved. Stupid popularity vote has taken over dunk contest results for years now. :pity:

KniCks4LiFe
02-12-2014, 12:51 AM
He probably would. Who cares. This award does nothing in terms of legacy.

have you seen his dunk contest dunks? their average. Compare those to the real dunkers.

sunsfan88
02-12-2014, 02:34 AM
If he would win then doesn't he participate in it?

And for the people that say that superstars don't need to do dunk contest, then why the **** did Kobe do it and win it?

ThuglifeJ
02-12-2014, 03:02 AM

And for the people that say that superstars don't need to do dunk contest, then why the **** did Kobe do it and win it?

And everyone else.. but the contest definitely isn't what it once was. It was more of a big deal in past

MickeyMgl
02-12-2014, 03:41 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2014/02/lebron-james-says-he-would-win-the-nba-slam-dunk-contest/

He may be right, but between this comment and the conveniently-timed video, it sure seems like Lebron wants to have it both ways - never participating, but showing off what he can do (on an edited video, like all those kids who record themselves making 200-foot shots off the top of a building). It's really kind of childish. Get in the game or STFU.

Like I said, he may be right, but it is a LIVE contest. Edited submissions do not qualify.

MickeyMgl
02-12-2014, 03:49 AM

Durant is not known as a dunker.

Durant is also not hotdogging it for video cameras in practice just a week before the dunk contest.

Durant also is not claiming he would win if he participated.

Lebron is just begging to be called out on this BS.

stawka
02-12-2014, 03:54 AM

Because Kobe was a raw rookie and FAR from a start, let alone a superstar lol?

bleedprple&gold
02-12-2014, 03:56 AM
Lebron loves the attention too much of people begging him to enter that he will never actually do it. He loves the "what if" scenario too much. He wants us all to imagine how glorius it would too watch "The King" do things we've never seen before. I wish he would just enter the damn contest so he can stop getting so much attention for not entering.

bleedprple&gold
02-12-2014, 03:58 AM

Huh? Dwight and Blake have been in the dunk contest before.

effen5
02-12-2014, 04:10 AM
Huh? Dwight and Blake have been in the dunk contest before.

He's not too bright is he....lol :laugh:

TDE
02-12-2014, 04:18 AM
What a insecure douche, Leave that for that fans

Sadds The Gr8
02-12-2014, 04:33 AM
TRoss would wax that ***

Asik's better
02-12-2014, 04:45 AM
I find it funny that he trolls everyone this time of year and everyone falls for it. He loves it when everyone gets mad at him over the dunk contest, that's why he dose **** like this. People need to get over Lebron in the dunk contest. He will never enter. Also people need to get over the importance of dunk contest. It's not important anyone's legacy. When we decide who is greatest player, pg, sf etc no one brings up the dunk contest when talking about legacies. And now we're meant to pretend it does affect legacies? Please.

Slug3
02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
What a attention wanting loser.

Don't you mean attention wanting winner?

But seriously I feel like he is just trolling the fans now.

ghettosean
02-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Probably the people who have begged him to enter it for 11 years and he has declined each and every year.

D-Leethal
02-12-2014, 11:21 AM
"I would win but I won't do it cause I'm scared to lose"

ghettosean
02-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Who gives a ****? It's a dunk contest. I don't care if the guy says he could win a ****ing Academy Award. He's a professional basketball player, he's the best player in the world and he just got done winning back-to-back championships. He doesn't to prove anything to anybody anymore.

If he doesn't have anything to prove why make these idiotic comments. The question wasn't even directed towards him. Lebron is just a media whore!

D-Leethal
02-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I find it funny that he trolls everyone this time of year and everyone falls for it. He loves it when everyone gets mad at him over the dunk contest, that's why he dose **** like this. People need to get over Lebron in the dunk contest. He will never enter. Also people need to get over the importance of dunk contest. It's not important anyone's legacy. When we decide who is greatest player, pg, sf etc no one brings up the dunk contest when talking about legacies. And now we're meant to pretend it does affect legacies? Please.

Its all part of the legacy man. You don't think Birds walk off 3 point contest or Jordans duel with Wilkins add to their mystique and legacy? You're trippin son. If anything, the dunk contest have some of the longest lasting visual legacies in all of sports.

mike_noodles
02-12-2014, 11:27 AM
If he's so confident, he should stop being a ***** and join up.

ghettosean
02-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Most of the fan base hasn't been begging him for 11 years and most importantly DURANT DIDN'T SAY HE WOULD WIN IT!!! Like an obnoxious prick!

IAmARanger18
02-12-2014, 11:29 AM
He's been saying this for years, fact of the matter is, he's scared. Scared it will tarnish his ''legacy'' losing to a nobody in the dunk contest. When we all know, they will fix it so he can win.

IAmARanger18
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Most of the fan base hasn't been begging him for 11 years and most importantly DURANT DIDN'T SAY HE WOULD WIN IT!!! Like an obnoxious prick!

Of course they call out KD, glad you understand it, LBJ fan boys get so butt hurt, it's hilarious.

D-Leethal
02-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Durant gets up and gets a few posters each year but he's not a "dunker" like LeBron is. Durant isn't a non stop human highlight reel with his dunking prowess. Durant doesn't do acrobatic dunks and hold his own personal dunk contest before every single game either.

You know when your reasoning for not doing it is "I don't know", your frightened at the thought od losing.

IKnowHoops
02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
its hard being the best, king james getting people mad over nothing since 2003

Prediction on next thread title- "Lebron drinks Mocha Latte"- PSD goes crazy for 10 pages

IKnowHoops
02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Both Dwight and Blake won dunk contests and it did absolutely nothing for them at all. Blake is still hated on and called soft, and Dwight isn't considered the top center in the league anymore when centers basically suck.

Big Zo
02-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Its all part of the legacy man. You don't think Birds walk off 3 point contest or Jordans duel with Wilkins add to their mystique and legacy? You're trippin son. If anything, the dunk contest have some of the longest lasting visual legacies in all of sports. Brent Barry attempting to jump from the free throw line in his warmups: LEGEND

effen5
02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Again, people bringing up blake or Dwight, they didn't Go to the media and tell the world they are going to win the dunk contest. And to those that say it doesn't affect legends legacies...

http://jordan23chicagobulls.blogspot.com/2011/08/michael-jordan-famous-foul-line-dunk.html

That is one of mjs most iconic moments in his entire career.

thenaj17
02-12-2014, 12:19 PM
"I would win but I won't do it cause I'm scared to lose"

It's cos he doesn't have Ray Allen to bail him out again...

Clippersfan86
02-12-2014, 12:26 PM
DeAndre Jordan says hi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kx587U6jh8

Lakeshow24KB
02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
DeAndre Jordan says hi.

DeAndre Jordan is easily top 5 dunker in the league. I don't care how tall the dude is, he is hella impressive

Clippersfan86
02-12-2014, 01:00 PM
DeAndre Jordan is easily top 5 dunker in the league. I don't care how tall the dude is, he is hella impressive

His dunks top Lebron's little practice session. A 360 between the legs would win any dunk contest. Hilarious thing is the Clippers were the ones who started all the trends in the league that the Heat of all teams pick up. Photobombing teammates, Pregame/practice dunk contests, got em pics while teammates sleep. These were going on in our locker room the last 3+ years. Now they are league wide trends.

Lakeshow24KB
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
His dunks top Lebron's little practice session. A 360 between the legs would win any dunk contest. Hilarious thing is the Clippers were the ones who started all the trends in the league that the Heat of all teams pick up. Photobombing teammates, Pregame/practice dunk contests, got em pics while teammates sleep. These were going on in our locker room the last 3+ years. Now they are league wide trends.

Yeah he'd win for sure if he was in one. And yeah I remember a looong time ago they would always take Got EM! pics on planes hah. DeAndre is only about two inches taller than LeBron, yet he gets no attention for all of the crazy dunks he does but if LeBron does it IN WARMUPS, I get notifications via Sportscenter sent to my phone just because he did something in warmups....SMH

TheIlladelph16
02-12-2014, 02:24 PM
My question is, why this whole dunk fiasco at practice and video shooting and commenting on it just days before the dunk contest?

Why bring unnecessary attention to yourself at the worst possible time when the contest is just days away?

Bc he obviously doesn't care about it at all, and rightfully so. I don't know the context of his statements, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was addressing a question asked by a reporter. I find it hard to believe he would just pull the media aside and claim he would win the dunk contest out of nowhere.

The practice issue people are having is nonsense. Players do this stuff all the time at practice.

kdspurman
02-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Bc he obviously doesn't care about it at all, and rightfully so. I don't know the context of his statements, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was addressing a question asked by a reporter. I find it hard to believe he would just pull the media aside and claim he would win the dunk contest out of nowhere.

The practice issue people are having is nonsense. Players do this stuff all the time at practice.

I think the question was asked to Wade and Lebron actually took it upon himself to intervene and say he would win.

JordansBulls
02-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Probably the people who have begged him to enter it for 11 years and he has declined each and every year.

True. Or he should have not stated he would be in the contest.

amak316
02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
I understand why his PR team likely doesn't want him in the event and that it is much more likely to damage his brand then help it, but there are few things in this world more lame than running your mouth and being too scared to try to back it up.

bleedprple&gold
02-12-2014, 03:28 PM

People really need to stop begging him and then he actually might do it. Lebron gets his jollies from hearing people beg and to him thats 10x better than winning the contest. The moment he feels like he's not the center of attention and he's becoming irrelevant then he will do it. Until that point comes he will enjoy saying no to people more than anything else.

DR_1
02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Fear of failure.

This.

Asik's better
02-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Its all part of the legacy man. You don't think Birds walk off 3 point contest or Jordans duel with Wilkins add to their mystique and legacy? You're trippin son. If anything, the dunk contest have some of the longest lasting visual legacies in all of sports.
This is a load of ******** and you know it. As I said, no one brings up the dunk contest or three point contest when rating best players of all time. In a months time, no one will give a **** about Lebron not entering the dunk contest. Legacy my ***.

R. Johnson#3
02-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Then why doesn't he enter?

Asik's better
02-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Then why doesn't he enter?

Because he dosnt want to

nastynice
02-12-2014, 07:54 PM
I feel like something is going on with this guy. They do have personal lives too you know, I just hope he's ok. He's really just been putting **** out there lately, I hope its just cuz he's a douche and not something serious going on in his life messing with his mind

Htownballa1622
02-12-2014, 07:59 PM
DeAndre Jordan says hi.

Whoa, I did NOT expect that from Willie Green.

Crazy how just average players in the league are so athletic.

nastynice
02-12-2014, 08:00 PM
DeAndre Jordan says hi.

dang, nice. He got some of that old school skill, I love that ****. Nowdays its more about just doing a crazy power dunk, which is cool in its own respect, but I love when they show that hangtime and skill. For some reason he reminds me of dr. j, lol

Raps08-09 Champ
02-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Then enter and prove it.

PhillyPhanatic
02-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Because he is afraid of his reputation being tarnished if he loses to a rookie or sophomore player, almost everything he does has some kind of pr reason behind it.

ghettosean
02-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Fear of failure.

THIS is obvious to everyone except his apologists.

ghettosean
02-12-2014, 10:43 PM

True. Or he should have not stated he would be in the contest.

Yes him backing out shows his cowardice in regards to losing.

Supreme LA
02-12-2014, 11:06 PM
It's definitely a fear of failure. I mean what other reason does he have for never once entering the competition?? I mean he didn't even do it during his days in Cleveland so all that BS about having time to rest to make a title run is nonsense.

I don't care if Lebron does it or not. I just don't like him coming out and disrespecting everyone else by saying he would win it when he himself knows that he wont enter. It really has to be fear of failure when it comes to this guy. He isn't hard to read. He's pretty much a narcissistic person who cares deeply about how the public will just jump on him the moment he loses at anything to which I understand. He really has nothing to gain by entering but it would please many of his fans.

Tmath
02-12-2014, 11:47 PM
I'd like to see Durant in it too...

John Walls Era
02-12-2014, 11:52 PM
He likes to troll the fans.

nickdymez
02-12-2014, 11:54 PM

Weren't a few of these guys in it already?

championships
02-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Then put up or shut up.

effen5
02-13-2014, 03:53 AM
I really don't care anymore. But if he doesn't want to do the dunk contest he needs to stfu about the dunk contest.

I've already seen the greatest dunker alive win it all in Vince anyway. Nothing he can do would top Vince Carter.

effen5
02-13-2014, 04:00 AM
DeAndre Jordan says hi.

DeAndre is RIDICULOUS wow

effen5
02-13-2014, 04:05 AM
I understand why his PR team likely doesn't want him in the event and that it is much more likely to damage his brand then help it, but there are few things in this world more lame than running your mouth and being too scared to try to back it up.

How would it hurt his brand? I'm just saying take a look at Jordan and his brand. The only thing that's hurting his brand is him talking a ton of **** and not backing it up.

hidalgo
02-13-2014, 11:09 AM
he's never do it, he's scared to lose (i dunno why, because so what if he does? even MJ lost 1. it won't tarnish him at all if he doesn't win i don't think. it'll tarnish him more by refusing when it's a tradition that the great high flyers do at least 1 dunk contest. he's spitting on that tradition). i like LeBron a lot(best in the game), but he's being a total chicken, & as one of the all time high flyers, he'll be the only one who was too scared to enter the dunk contest. total siss move. but oh well, he'll still never do it

BOCK BOCK BOCK BOCK

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Too much to lose and not enough to gain - aka fear of failure.

amak316
02-13-2014, 02:03 PM

How would it hurt his brand? I'm just saying take a look at Jordan and his brand. The only thing that's hurting his brand is him talking a ton of **** and not backing it up.

Jordan won the contest and had one of the more iconic dunks of all time. A major reason that the dunk contest has fallen off so far recently is because there is the feeling that "it's all been done before" which seems kind of true.

I think the odds of him dazzling everyone and coming up with something unique that we've never seen before that furthers his brand are really low, however there is a very real chance of him missing several attempts and making a fool of himself and the embarrassment will be compounded by the last decade of hype due to everyone begging him to participate.

FlashBolt
02-13-2014, 02:12 PM
List of players in NBA history who hasn't done it but will never get ridiculed for it nor has it hurt their legacy:

Kareem
Magic
Bird
Shaq
Oscar Robertson
Dwyane Wade
Charles Barkley
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Pierce
Ray Allen
Isiah Thomas

effen5
02-13-2014, 02:17 PM
List of players in NBA history who hasn't done it but will never get ridiculed for it nor has it hurt their legacy:

Kareem
Magic
Bird
Shaq
Oscar Robertson
Dwyane Wade
Charles Barkley
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Pierce
Ray Allen
Isiah Thomas

Really? My list is exactly the same of people who didnt claimed they would win the dunk contest.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Kareem
Magic
Bird
Shaq
Oscar Robertson
Dwyane Wade
Charles Barkley
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Pierce
Ray Allen
Isiah Thomas

Is that a list of players who didn't self PROCLAIM THEY WOULD WIN THE DUNK CONTEST!

Here's my list if players who said they WOULD win the contest but never participated for fear of losing.

LEBRON

End of list.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:20 PM

Kareem
Magic
Bird
Shaq
Oscar Robertson
Dwyane Wade
Charles Barkley
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Pierce
Ray Allen
Isiah Thomas

LOL. Are any of those guys one of the top 5-10 dunkers of ALL TIME?

Start naming all time greats who were also all time great dunkers who didn't do it.

I'll be waiting...

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Everyone who was a top player AND a top dunker have done it. You would be hard pressed to find any all star who was a dunking machine that didn't do it.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Flashbolt why are you such an apologist for him it's clear he's afraid of failure which is why he won't compete...

Not to entirely quote my sig but:

"Lebron James is where losing the spirit of competition happens!"

FlashBolt
02-13-2014, 02:24 PM
My point in that post is that a dunk contest means nothing. No one cares. It's in the moment because the dunk contest is coming up. At the end of the season, it's going to be on whether or not he can get the MVP or Finals.

NJrockPD
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
lol hes scared??? yeah the guy won 2 championships and multiple mvps, but hes scared of a dunk contest.

Maybe if he gets a bunch of all stars to go out there with him to help him dunk.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 02:29 PM
My point in that post is that a dunk contest means nothing. No one cares. It's in the moment because the dunk contest is coming up. At the end of the season, it's going to be on whether or not he can get the MVP or Finals.

Exactly. If Lebron wins five or six MVPs and three or four rings, no one will give a **** that he never participated in a dunk contest 20 years from now. It's a fun distraction in the middle of the season, and those are nice memories to pull up on Youtube, but they mean exactly jack when it comes to a player's career or a team's season.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Some of the most transcendent moments and lasting images in NBA history have occurred during the dunk contest. Dunking in general is heavily embedded into the essence of basketball. Its something these dudes grow up idolizing and doing far before they reach the NBA. LeBron obviously has a great appreciation for it, he's just scared to lose.

Obviously, nobody is going to look back 20 years from now and say, LeBron didn't do the dunk contest, no way he is a top 5 player beacuse of it. But they will be watching LeBron highlights and say "damn, why didn't this dude do the dunk contest when every other transcendent NBA player who was also a transcedent dunker did it?".

Can you think of all time great players and all time great dunkers who didn't do the dunk contest? LeBron will be alone on the list - everyone else did it.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Exactly. If Lebron wins five or six MVPs and three or four rings, no one will give a **** that he never participated in a dunk contest 20 years from now. It's a fun distraction in the middle of the season, and those are nice memories to pull up on Youtube, but they mean exactly jack when it comes to a player's career or a team's season.

What does that even mean "nobody will care"? Of course its not going to affect his stature on the list of all time greats, but its going to be a question everybody asks "why didn't this dude do it?". When you look deeper into it, it will be "damn, thats pretty weak, everyone else did it". Of course it doesn't knock him back on the list of all time greats, but it does have an effect on his perception as a fearless competitor.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM

If you agree to enter a year in advance and back out because your afraid to lose it kind of means something don't you think???

(Are people reading the last sentence in my sig here because it's spot on for this thread)

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:35 PM
When you couple his fear of the dunk contest with the fact that he went running to join up with a top 3 player before entering his prime, LeBron's legacy is going to have "little *****" attached to it the same way MJ has "fearless competitor" attached to his.

I mean, he knows the fans are dying for him to do it, and he simply refuses with nothing other than "I don't know" when asked why.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Its honestly not "the dunk contest" as much as its his "refusal to engage in a competition that the entire world is begging him to join, and that every other all time great happily competed in creating some iconic NBA moments".

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:41 PM
You guys don't think if MJ lost to Dominique it would change your perception a bit as far as the invincible aura that is attached to him? Or course it would, but MJ put that on the line anyway and went against one of the best in game dunkers of all time and took him out. Thats badass. That definitely adds to his legacy. Legacy is more than titles and MVPs, its your overall perception and everything plays a part - the same way Bird's walkoff 3 point contest adds to his "clutch beast" reputation. LeBron is building himself a "scared little *****/frontrunner" rep to go along with his MVP's and titles.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Instead of continuously challenging himself, LeBron continuously tries to make things as easy as possible for himself and it all stems from his fear of failure. He will once again go run to the next easiest route to a title once his tenure in MIA is up.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 02:45 PM
What does that even mean "nobody will care"? Of course its not going to affect his stature on the list of all time greats, but its going to be a question everybody asks "why didn't this dude do it?". When you look deeper into it, it will be "damn, thats pretty weak, everyone else did it". Of course it doesn't knock him back on the list of all time greats, but it does have an effect on his perception as a fearless competitor.

A few points I'd like to make here...

First off, very few star players have done the dunk contest over the last decade. It's sort of been a trend to let up-and-comers do it. Aside from Blake and Dwight, I can't think of a single other star who has participated over the last decade and certainly no one of Lebron's pedigree. There have been some really good players who've performed, like George, Iggy and Smoove, but no hardly any superstars.

Secondly, a lot of guys are great in-game dunkers who haven't performed well in the dunk contest. Think of guys like McGrady and Pippen who have had some astonishing in-game dunks, yet performed poorly in the dunk contest. There's a big difference between wowing fans in a game and coming up with something creative in a contest where you're being judged on your creativity and skill at only dunking. Lebron may juts not have any ideas spectacular enough to go to the contest with, and I'm fine with that.

Third, while it adds moments to highlights of a player's career, I don't think it takes anything away form a player who doesn't participate. Nor does it had to their resume when people talk about their legacy. Look at Dominique Wilkins. The guy was an athletic freak who owned in dunk contests. But I care far more about his total lack of postseason success than I care about his dunk contest performances. You'd take Lebron's career and accolades over Wilkins' 100 times out of 100.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Quit posting over and over and over again to say the same ****. We get your perspective, but you're not giving anyone a chance to respond, and you're post padding. But I'll at least address this point:

Instead of continuously challenging himself, LeBron continuously tries to make things as easy as possible for himself and it all stems from his fear of failure. He will once again go run to the next easiest route to a title once his tenure in MIA is up.

I think this is true to an extent, but can you blame the guy? He's been more scrutinized than any professional athlete probably in the history of sports. His high school games were nationally televised, he was viewed as a transcendent athlete the second he was drafted and every single move, game and soundbite of his has been picked apart for his entire career.

I don't care who you are. If you got that much media attention and that much criticism every time you failed, it would eat at you. I don't blame the guy in the slightest for wanting to do whatever he could to protect his career, his brand and his legacy.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 02:58 PM
A few points I'd like to make here...

First off, very few star players have done the dunk contest over the last decade. It's sort of been a trend to let up-and-comers do it. Aside from Blake and Dwight, I can't think of a single other star who has participated over the last decade and certainly no one of Lebron's pedigree. There have been some really good players who've performed, like George, Iggy and Smoove, but no hardly any superstars.

Secondly, a lot of guys are great in-game dunkers who haven't performed well in the dunk contest. Think of guys like McGrady and Pippen who have had some astonishing in-game dunks, yet performed poorly in the dunk contest. There's a big difference between wowing fans in a game and coming up with something creative in a contest where you're being judged on your creativity and skill at only dunking. Lebron may juts not have any ideas spectacular enough to go to the contest with, and I'm fine with that.

Third, while it adds moments to highlights of a player's career, I don't think it takes anything away form a player who doesn't participate. Nor does it had to their resume when people talk about their legacy. Look at Dominique Wilkins. The guy was an athletic freak who owned in dunk contests. But I care far more about his total lack of postseason success than I care about his dunk contest performances. You'd take Lebron's career and accolades over Wilkins' 100 times out of 100.

Because rarely do you have an elite elite player who is also an elite elite dunker. But the ones who were - all have done it. The ones who were a tier below - all have done it. Wade is the only one I can think of who was an elite player, a dunking machine in games, and refused to do it.

I don't really get what your argument is. "Titles matter more than dunks"? Well no **** dude. But when your good enough to rack up titles and MVPs, AND one of the all time transcedent dunkers, you should do the freakin' dunk contest. If your all star and a transcedent dunker, you should do the freakin' dunk contest. Everyone else has. From Drexler, to Dr J, to MJ, to Gervin, to Thompson, to Vince, to Pippen, to Amare, to Blake, to Dwight, to Nance, to TMac, to Wilkins, to Dawkins to Kobe. Everyone who had some starpower and were also great dunkers did it and thats what made it such a great event for 20+ years.

And the fact that there has been a lack of starpower of late and the dunk contest is slowly dying should be MORE incentive for LeBron to revive it. Instead he would rather watch an epic yearly event dwindle into a laughing stock. I am glad George, Wall and co. have the balls to try and revive it and bring some starpower back to the event.

All LeBron would have to do is say "yes" to instantly make it an awesome spectacle again.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Quit posting over and over and over again to say the same ****. We get your perspective, but you're not giving anyone a chance to respond, and you're post padding. But I'll at least address this point:

I think this is true to an extent, but can you blame the guy? He's been more scrutinized than any professional athlete probably in the history of sports. His high school games were nationally televised, he was viewed as a transcendent athlete the second he was drafted and every single move, game and soundbite of his has been picked apart for his entire career.

I don't care who you are. If you got that much media attention and that much criticism every time you failed, it would eat at you. I don't blame the guy in the slightest for wanting to do whatever he could to protect his career, his brand and his legacy.

I don't care if I'm post padding. You think I give a **** what my post count says? I post when thoughts pop into my head.

And yes, I do blame him, its soft. "I'm so much more scrutinized than anyone - imagine if I lose!?!?!?".

Thats exactly what makes him a little *****. Fearless competitors welcome the pressure, they welcome challenge, they welcome the possible scrutiny, and they thrive in it, they don't do everything in their power to avoid it. LeBron does.

D-Leethal
02-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Look at any list you can find for "top 10 dunkers of all time". Subtract every one who has done the dunk contest. You will be left with one. Guess who.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Because rarely do you have an elite elite player who is also an elite elite dunker. But the ones who were - all have done it. The ones who were a tier below - all have done it. Wade is the only one I can think of who was an elite player, a dunking machine in games, and refused to do it.

And the fact that there has been a lack of starpower of late and the dunk contest is slowly dying should be MORE incentive for LeBron to revive it. Instead he would rather watch an epic yearly event dwindle into a laughing stock. I am glad George, Wall and co. have the balls to try and revive it and bring some starpower back to the event.

All LeBron would have to do is say "yes" to instantly make it an awesome spectacle again.
Let's consider this for a second, though. The four best wing players of the last decade have unquestionably been Kobe, Lebron, Wade and Durant. I'm assuming I'll get no argument from you on that. Three of them have never and probably will never compete in dunk contests despite being excellent athletes and more than capable of putting on a show. The fourth competed in a dunk contest in 1997 when he was playing 15 minutes a game and the world barely took him seriously as a basketball player. I'm not trying to knock Kobe for doing it, but the guy was hardly a star at the time. He was a freaking 18-year-old rookie looking to make a name for himself. Lebron, on the flip side, stepped into the league an All-Star caliber player. He didn't need the All-Star game to make a name for himself and still doesn't.

I don't think it's fair to criticize Lebron for not doing it when the other three best wings of the last 10-15 years never participated when they were star athletes either.

And yes, I do blame him, its soft. "I'm so much more scrutinized than anyone - imagine if I lose!?!?!?".

Thats exactly what makes him a little *****. Fearless competitors welcome the pressure, they welcome challenge, they welcome the possible scrutiny, and they thrive in it, they don't do everything in their power to avoid it. LeBron does.
You're clearly not getting it, because you're viewing him as a larger than life athlete instead of a human ****ing being. The guy is a man, just like you or me. He's got kids, a wife, doubts and fears just like anyone else. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm a journalist. I've been asked to do different things before because I'm good at my job, like being on panels for example. I've never done one, because I don't like being scrutinized in front of a bunch of people, and I'm afraid of saying something stupid.

This is obviously a different thing entirely, but similar concept. Why do something extra that's asked of you if you don't have to, there's very little to gain from it and there's a good chance you'll get scrutinized for it? Hell, Lebron has gone out of his way to participate for years with Team USA, but I don't see you giving him any credit there.

And calling him a "little *****" is totally uncalled for and pathetic. The man just won back-to-back titles and four MVPs in five years. He's carried that Heat team the last two seasons, he carried the Cavs for the better part of a decade, he's never done anything illegal or offensive off the court worthy of criticism and he doesn't owe you a god damn thing.

Look at any list you can find for "top 10 dunkers of all time". Subtract every one who has done the dunk contest. You will be left with one. Guess who.
Who gives a ****? You think it matters to every NBA player to be named among the greatest dunkers of all-time? The name of the game isn't "who dunks the best?" It's "who plays the best basketball?" And for some guys, dunking may be super important. Vince Carter may look back at his career and say, "I'm proud of what I did, and that dunk contest victory was super important to me." Good for him. Lebron may just not give a **** about dunking in a contest. That's fine, too. I don't understand why one guy deserves this much hate just because he doesn't want to do do something that is not required of him and many other players also are not doing.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Let's consider this for a second, though. The four best wing players of the last decade have unquestionably been Kobe, Lebron, Wade and Durant. I'm assuming I'll get no argument from you on that. Three of them have never and probably will never compete in dunk contests despite being excellent athletes and more than capable of putting on a show. The fourth competed in a dunk contest in 1997 when he was playing 15 minutes a game and the world barely took him seriously as a basketball player. I'm not trying to knock Kobe for doing it, but the guy was hardly a star at the time. He was a freaking 18-year-old rookie looking to make a name for himself. Lebron, on the flip side, stepped into the league an All-Star caliber player. He didn't need the All-Star game to make a name for himself and still doesn't.

I don't think it's fair to criticize Lebron for not doing it when the other three best wings of the last 10-15 years never participated when they were star athletes either.

Durant is definitely one of the greatest pure scorers ever but you are acting like he's a human highlight reel in the paint with what you are trying to say... lol.

Why not add Carmelo to that list of candidates while your at it :rolleyes:

You are really reaching with your points... this doesn't have to be a page long apology for Lebron a sentence or 2 can sum it up.

Like:

Lebron is afraid of failure

Or

He is not a fearless competitor like MJ or other greats.

Or

The last sentence in my sig would do nicely :D

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Just to add onto my last post of all the names you mentioned who didn't enter only one was pathetic enough to hold a competition-less dunk contest in front of the media and DISRESPECT all the STARS that are entering it this year and including the defending champ Terrence Ross. Lebron would rather proclaim victory from a safe distance.

Honestly what a little kitty... I mean --> what a little *****!!!

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Durant is definitely one of the greatest pure scorers ever but you are acting like he's a human highlight reel in the paint with what you are trying to say... lol.

Why not add Carmelo to that list of candidates while your at it :rolleyes:
I'm not saying Durant is a human highlight reel, but he's a damn fine athlete, and he'd be more than capable of throwing down some solid dunks. He's got a similar frame to guys like Nique and Pippen, who are both considered among the greatest dunkers. Here's the first youtube video that popped up when I googled "Kevin Durant dunks." Notice that there are several dunk contest shots in here, including one between the legs which looked effortless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14l3EWLUrMk

You are really reaching with your points... this doesn't have to be a page long apology for Lebron a sentence or 2 can sum it up.

Like:

Lebron is afraid of failure

Or

He is not a fearless competitor like MJ or other greats.

Or

The last sentence in my sig would do nicely :D
Except your sentences either simplify the situation to a single, thought or are wildly incorrect to begin with. To say he's not a "fearless competitor" is just nonsense. The guy has won two rings and four MVPs while being the most critiqued athlete in the history of professional sports. He plays every day in front of millions of people and hits shots like he hit last night night in spite of it all, knowing in the back of his mind that if he fails, he's going to get publicly crushed for it 10 minutes later.

It's insulting, it's simplistic and it's ridiculous.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Just to add onto my last post of all the names you mentioned who didn't enter only one was pathetic enough to hold a competition-less dunk contest in front of the media and DISRESPECT all the STARS that are entering it this year and including the defending champ Terrence Ross. Lebron would rather proclaim victory from a safe distance.

Honestly what a little kitty... I mean --> what a little *****!!!

Mightybosstone please feel free to respond to this as well I'd love your input or Lebron apology here :D

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Mightybosstone please feel free to respond to this as well I'd love your input or Lebron apology here :D

Sorry, bro. I have no plans to feed any trolls today. When you want to have a legitimate, fair, bait-free conversation, get back to me.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm not saying Durant is a human highlight reel, but he's a damn fine athlete, and he'd be more than capable of throwing down some solid dunks. He's got a similar frame to guys like Nique and Pippen, who are both considered among the greatest dunkers. Here's the first youtube video that popped up when I googled "Kevin Durant dunks." Notice that there are several dunk contest shots in here, including one between the legs which looked effortless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14l3EWLUrMk

Here's Carmelo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLSgOXFchug

Can we stop with the youtube nonsense and go on there pro careers in the league (not just a few clips)... honestly no one is saying Durant is not a athletic athlete but I am saying he's not a human highlight reel like Lebron almost every game for in game dunks. We both know this so no more CLIPS to prove your point it's such a small sample size of what kind of players they are....

To pretend they Griffin, Lebron, Nique... etc with these sample size clips.... Well:

Except your sentences either simplify the situation to a single, thought or are wildly incorrect to begin with. To say he's not a "fearless competitor" is just nonsense. The guy has won two rings and four MVPs while being the most critiqued athlete in the history of professional sports. He plays every day in front of millions of people and hits shots like he hit last night night in spite of it all, knowing in the back of his mind that if he fails, he's going to get publicly crushed for it 10 minutes later.

Forget about his 2 rings that he won joining arguably the 2nd best player in the league at the time that doesn't prove he's fearless and a *****. My comments were general I admit but they all are holding up to par in this thread based on what he's said and in regards to how he pusses out each year for 11 years in the dunk contest. Forget about how he joined the 2nd best player in the league and the best PF to get his 2 rings who all signed discount contracts to get extra talent on top (like Ray Ray how gift wrapped #2) of what they had and then danced around on stage saying not 4, not 5, not 6...

I'm definitely not saying he has a fear of failure because of that move in this thread it's just about the dunk contest and him saying from the farthest distance "I'd win" this year after having a no competition dunk contest with HIMSELF. What a hell of a competitor he is!!! FEARLESS!!! Did you see the dunk where he threw it off the wall that you can't do in a dunk contest unless he plans to do that move off of Bosh's face. JUST MARVELOUS :D

Honestly dude stop being such an apologist for him it's beyond sad at this point.

By saying he'd win from his shelter of teammates he not only showed another reason why he's a little ***** in the league and by holding a competition-less dunk contest in front of the media and DISRESPECT all the STARS that are entering the contest this year including the defending dunk champion T Ross who did some pretty amazing stuff last year.

Again read my sig yo just the last sentence should sum it up for you sometimes the simpler explanation is the truth not a page full of blather and ramblings.

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Can we stop with the youtube nonsense and go on there pro careers in the league (not just a few clips)... honestly no one is saying Durant is not a athletic athlete but I am saying he's not a human highlight reel like Lebron almost every game for in game dunks. We both know this so no more CLIPS to prove your point it's such a small sample size of what kind of players they are....
You do realize that's all dunks are, right? Just a series of highlights which make for entertaining Youtube clips. I'm not the kind of guy who posts youtube clips to prove my point that often, but if you're talking about dunks, that's about as relevant as youtube gets. And I've watched Durant play a LOT of basketball. I watched him religiously at UT and was especially high on him his first two years before I started hating his guts. The guy is a phenomenal athlete and a great dunker. He just doesn't throw it down like some other guys with power. He glides through the air and makes it look easy. But if he wanted to compete in a dunk competition, he could, and he would do very well.

Forget about his 2 rings that he won joining arguably the 2nd best player in the league at the time that doesn't prove he's fearless and a *****. My comments were general I admit but they all are holding up to par in this thread based on what he's said and in regards to how he pusses out each year for 11 years in the dunk contest. Forget about how he joined the 2nd best player in the league and the best PF to get his 2 rings who all signed discount contracts to get extra talent on top (like Ray Ray how gift wrapped #2) of what they had and then danced around on stage saying not 4, not 5, not 6...
I'm not going to address this because I've done it a million times in a million other threads, and I'm sick of it. Suffice it to say that I don't agree with it. Great players have been teaming up with other great players throughout history. The difference between Lebron and the guys who didn't have to leave the teams that drafted them is that those guys got lucky and had competent front offices. If you don't want to agree with me, don't. But let's not bring up this point again.

I'm definitely not saying he has a fear of failure because of that move in this thread it's just about the dunk contest and him saying from the farthest distance "I'd win" this year after having a no competition dunk contest with HIMSELF. What a hell of a competitor he is!!! FEARLESS!!! Did you see the dunk where he threw it off the wall that you can't do in a dunk contest unless he plans to do that move off of Bosh's face. JUST MARVELOUS :D
No, I didn't see that dunk, because I don't care! I'm not watching some random clip that got posted on the Internet that PSD cares so much about, and I'm not hanging on every ****ing word Lebron says like other people. I care about how someone plays in their NBA basketball games and that they are good role models off the court. Lebron has been exceptional in both regards. Everything else is irrelevant.

Honestly dude stop being such an apologist for him it's beyond sad at this point.
I'm not being an apologist for the guy. I'm just saying the dunk contest means absolutely nothing, and Lebron is hardly the first star in NBA history not to compete in it. Should he have posted some videos of random practice dunks and stated he would win the dunk contest? No. That was dumb. But the only people who care are people like you who pay so much ****ing attention to it.

Again read my sig yo just the last sentence should sum it up for you sometimes the simpler explanation is the truth not a page full of blather and ramblings.
Your sig is total nonsense, and says nothing of relevance. It takes nothing into account regarding the history of the league, the pressure he was under, the man's personal feelings or his legacy whatsoever. It's just a simplistic, totally one-sided perspective of the issue. Which is pretty much all you've shown in this thread thus far. As for not rambling and being long-winded in my posts, you just did exactly the same thing while providing very little data or evidence whatsoever.

I'm done with this argument, though. I've already spent far too much time talking about a ****ing dunk contest. And I think we can both just agree to disagree.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm not being an apologist for the guy. I'm just saying the dunk contest means absolutely nothing, and Lebron is hardly the first star in NBA history not to compete in it. Should he have posted some videos of random practice dunks and stated he would win the dunk contest? No. That was dumb. But the only people who care are people like you who pay so much ****ing attention to it.

Says the guy with the longest posts in the thread :rolleyes:

Everyone can check to see if I'm full of it but you sure sound like an apologist if I ever heard one.

Your sig is total nonsense, and says nothing of relevance. It takes nothing into account regarding the history of the league, the pressure he was under, the man's personal feelings or his legacy whatsoever. It's just a simplistic, totally one-sided perspective of the issue. Which is pretty much all you've shown in this thread thus far. As for not rambling and being long-winded in my posts, you just did exactly the same thing while providing very little data or evidence whatsoever.

I'm done with this argument, though. I've already spent far too much time talking about a ****ing dunk contest. And I think we can both just agree to disagree.

The dunk contest has been the most memorable part of the NBA season for decades now and the majority of Lebron's fans have been begging him to enter for his entire career and he decides to troll them with this competition-less dunk contest DAYS BEFORE ALL STAR WEEKEND honestly how pathetic is that and disrespectful to the participants/stars who entered.

You are correct that there have been stars that have not entered the dunk contest before like Carmelo, Durant and maybe going back Karl Malone, Ewing... etc but none have ever said they would enter a year in advance and back out for no reason whatsoever to say the dunk contest means nothing when you make a clear puss move like that shows you are scared means and says enough about this competitor that you claim to be fearless (that's utter nonsense right and there is no evidence of this :rolleyes: ) but if that is not enough evidence or data (like you claim I have lack of) to show you he's a puss when he proclaims himself the champion from a practice facility with his teammates/crew and media then I'm not sure what will.

Like you said my sig has no relevance so why not:

"Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!"

If he's a competitor there's a long time saying for this exact scenario "Put up for shut up" and we all know he's a puss so dude needs to STFU!

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
The dunk contest has been the most memorable part of the NBA season for decades now.
And with this sentence you go from guy I just disagree with to guy I don't know that I can ever take seriously in regards to NBA discussions. If you think the dunk contest is the most memorable part of an NBA season, you clearly don't watch enough NBA postseason games.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
And with this sentence you go from guy I just disagree with to guy I don't know that I can ever take seriously in regards to NBA discussions. If you think the dunk contest is the most memorable part of an NBA season, you clearly don't watch enough NBA postseason games.

No offense you are the one saying I did not provide you with enough data on how Lebron is afraid of on losing or has a fear of failure when I site you many examples including one that isn't even a week old. I've stopped taking you seriously a long time ago.

To clarify because you are nit picking with words I meant REGULAR SEASON :rolleyes: I figured that was self explanatory but I guess not :facepalm:

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 07:01 PM
I don’t really see any reason for him too. Mostly you see young guys in the dunk contest trying to get their name out there. Dwight trying to get his name out there as the most marketable big man. Jordan trying to get his name out there… Lebron isn’t finding any new fans with an amazing dunk contest. No NBA fan is going “damn, who is this guy here?”.

Everyone already knows he is an elite dunker, if he wins, it doesn’t earn him anything new. He could win with what he does in a warmup for a game every single week. But what if he loses? That is where you might get some people making some noise. So there’s nothing for him to gain, only to lose. Why do it then?

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Lebron is hardly the first star in NBA history not to compete in it.

Since we are now going from responding to entire posts to this I'll play ;)

Just to clairify Lebron is not the first star to enter the dunk contest he's the first star to say he would enter it PUBLICALLY and back out for no reason. No star in the history of the league (even the list you made) has been puss enough to back out for no reason after committing to entering he could have at least faked an injury or flopped/Lebroned before all star weekend but he just backed out with no explanation what so ever.

A first in NBA history for a superstar of his stature!

You can stop with the fearless competitor nonsense the dude is clearly scared I'm sorry I have provided you with little or no evidence like you stated :rolleyes:

You say you are not an apologist yet you continue to try and throw out my argument at every turn with CLEAR EVIDENCE that is not even a week old that he is afraid to compete.

Enjoy living in denial!

mightybosstone
02-13-2014, 07:08 PM
No offense you are the one saying I did not provide you with enough data on how Lebron is afraid of on losing or has a fear of failure when I site you many examples including one that isn't even a week old. I've stopped taking you seriously a long time ago.

To clarify because you are nit picking with words I meant REGULAR SEASON :rolleyes: I figured that was self explanatory but I guess not :facepalm:

Just to clairify Lebron is not the first star to enter the dunk contest he's the first star to say he would enter it PUBLICALLY and back out for no reason. No star in the history of the league (even the list you made) has been puss enough to back out for no reason after committing to entering he could have at least faked an injury or flopped/Lebroned before all star weekend but he just backed out with no explanation what so ever.

You can stop with the fearless competitor nonsense the dude is clearly scared I'm sorry I have provided you with little or no evidence like you stated :rolleyes:

You say you are not an apologist yet you continue to try and throw out my argument at every turn with CLEAR EVIDENCE that is not even a week old that he is afraid to compete.

Enjoy living in denial!

:horse:

KingPosey
02-13-2014, 07:14 PM
It's an easy answer, he has always been afraid of losing or looking bad. He is a GREAT in game dunked but in his younger years he was really boring in dunk contests. He would still win because he is Lebron and was a man amongst boys but he didnt like that people weren't impressed. It reminds me a lot of Blake Griffin honestly.

He may have lost if he did it but so what, it used to be a right of passage and you had to do
It once.

Munkeysuit
02-13-2014, 07:31 PM
You guys want to know the REAL reason why? it's because he's earned the admiration of the critics worldwide when he finally won championships. BUT, Lebron is the type of dude that holds the admiration of his peers a bit higher on the mantle than those of the media. This is a FACT! if you guys know enough about dunking and style and the culture behind it being synonymous with having a bit of "street cred" so to speak, then you'd know why he doesn't do dunk contests.

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Enjoy living in denial!

Really, you are worried that they shoved a microphone in his face in the middle of the competition and he said sure (something he laughed about at the time and immediately after said he would think about it). Did that 5 seconds of him saying yes while laughing ruin your life or something here. So WHAT???

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 07:33 PM
:horse:

For someone who says he's done with this thread it seems like you keep coming back often... LOL... Also for someone who accuses others of trolling well serious question... Do you live under a bridge???

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 07:42 PM

Enjoy living in denial!

Really, you are worried that they shoved a microphone in his face in the middle of the competition and he said sure (something he laughed about at the time and immediately after said he would think about it). Did that 5 seconds of him saying yes while laughing ruin your life or something here. So WHAT???

He's said no every other time why commit for an entire YEAR then back out??? Unless you are afraid of doing it.

Also to clarify me and the other poster were debating things like... I forget how he worded it oh yeah... Lebron is a fearless competitor and my rebuttal was him committing to doing the contest then backing out is clear evidence that he is the opposite and a huge puss and no one has said anything to disprove what I'm saying just a lot of senseless blather and no evidence or data except YouTube clips :facepalm:

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
It's an easy answer, he has always been afraid of losing or looking bad. He is a GREAT in game dunked but in his younger years he was really boring in dunk contests. He would still win because he is Lebron and was a man amongst boys but he didnt like that people weren't impressed. It reminds me a lot of Blake Griffin honestly.

He may have lost if he did it but so what, it used to be a right of passage and you had to do
It once.

Yeah it used to be entertaining as well, not all prop dunks and such. Granted this right of passage was passed on by Magic, Shaq, Bird, Hakeem, Kareem... I think 1 out of the past 15 NBA MVP's have competed in the dunk contest. Sorry, not really a right of passage anymore i would say.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 07:46 PM

It once.

Yeah it used to be entertaining as well, not all prop dunks and such. Granted this right of passage was passed on by Magic, Shaq, Bird, Hakeem, Kareem... I think 1 out of the past 15 NBA MVP's have competed in the dunk contest. Sorry, not really a right of passage anymore i would say.

Why is this about MVPS in the dunk contest now did you expect Steve Nash to join when he was in phoenix??? Can he even dunk... lol

I'll say you provide more data than mightybosstone I'll give you that much.

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 07:49 PM
He's said no every other time why commit for an entire YEAR then back out??? Unless you are afraid of doing it.

Also to clarify me and the other poster were debating things like... I forget how he worded it oh yeah... Lebron is a fearless competitor and my rebuttal was him committing to doing the contest then backing out is clear evidence that he is the opposite and a huge puss and no one has said anything to disprove what I'm saying just a lot of senseless blather :facepalm:

Really, So going up against Duncan in the finals isn't tough, sticking to your guns about an excited statement in a slam dunk contest is what shows real toughness. Outrebounding Joakim Noah in a playoff game. PUSS. Until he wows you with his grace in jumping fancily, throwing down against a defense of NOBODY where you would call him a tough guy.

Something is seriously wrong with your idea of what fearless is. What's next. A downhill skiier backs out on taking his daughter on a merry go round, so he is now a PUSS?

Come on. You are trolling if you are trying to sell me that a frigging dunk contest back out makes him weak in any way. If you are looking at what NBA players promise every year, every player backs out on something. I'd say Garnett backing out on his promise to bring Boston another championship after he won his first there was bigger than a dunk contest wouldn't you?

I am sorry but calling him a puss for that is like calling a purple heart winner a puss for backing out on playing paintball with you over the weekend.

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Why is this about MVPS in the dunk contest now did you expect Steve Nash to join when he was in phoenix??? Can he even dunk... lol

I'll say you provide more data than mightybosstone I'll give you that much.

My point is, its definitely not a right of passage anymore. It is watered down, look at me hype, neither of which he needs, especially anymore. And didn't you see the steve Nash commercial of him in HS? He had a nice jam there. lol

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Also to clarify me and the other poster were debating things like... I forget how he worded it oh yeah... Lebron is a fearless competitor and my rebuttal was him committing to doing the contest then backing out is clear evidence that he is the opposite and a huge puss and no one has said anything to disprove what I'm saying just a lot of senseless blather :facepalm:

Really, So going up against Duncan in the finals isn't tough, sticking to your guns about an excited statement in a slam dunk contest is what shows real toughness. Outrebounding Joakim Noah in a playoff game. PUSS. Until he wows you with his grace in jumping fancily, throwing down against a defense of NOBODY where you would call him a tough guy.

Something is seriously wrong with your idea of what fearless is. What's next. A downhill skiier backs out on taking his daughter on a merry go round, so he is now a PUSS?

Come on. You are trolling if you are trying to sell me that a frigging dunk contest back out makes him weak in any way. If you are looking at what NBA players promise every year, every player backs out on something. I'd say Garnett backing out on his promise to bring Boston another championship after he won his first there was bigger than a dunk contest wouldn't you?

I am sorry but calling him a puss for that is like calling a purple heart winner a puss for backing out on playing paintball with you over the weekend.

Well not to get it twisted i never said beating Duncan (even at 37 years old) wasn't tough if Pop didn't pull him out Lebron wouldn't have that second ring.... beating a Derrick less Rose bulls and all that well i never said any of that....

I'm saying he's a PUSS for publically saying he'd enter the contest then backed out a year later FOR NO REASON except for being puss of course.

I'll add to this to give you more ammo to strike back woth maybe you can provide a more meaningful debate than the last poster....

Another reason he's puss is for have his own competition-less dunk contest against HIMSELF in a practice facility with his teammates and media then says he'd win this years competition against all the stars entering basically disrespecting all of those who are entering instead of competing.

He's a PUSS!

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Lebron has such a close resemblance to this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18yDw_u7fY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Well not to get it twisted i never said beating Duncan (even at 37 years old) wasn't tough if Pop didn't pull him out Lebron wouldn't have that second ring.... beating a Derrick less Rose bulls and all that well i never said any of that....

I'm saying he's a PUSS for publically saying he'd enter the contest then backed out a year later FOR NO REASON except for being puss of course.

I'll add to this to give you more ammo to strike back woth maybe you can provide a more meaningful debate than the last poster....

Another reason he's puss is for have his own competition-less dunk contest against HIMSELF in a practice facility with his teammates and media then says he'd win this years competition against all the stars entering basically disrespecting all of those who are entering.

He's a PUSS!

So you are saying a puss because he said something in the heat of the moment and failed to back it up. So Garnett is a puss (said he was going to bring another championship to Boston, failed to back it up). Jordan is a puss (said he was walking away for forever, failed to back it up when he went to Washington).

Kobe Bryant is a huge puss. Saying "we'll be a threat in the playoffs" as his team was swept in the first round. Guaranteeing a championship in 2012.

So he backed out of both of those promises, you know, ones actually about the game of basketball. So Kobe is twice the puss that Lebron is is what you are saying, well maybe 10 times, as Kobe's failed promises were about actually winning basketball games, not some playground fun fest.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 08:24 PM

Another reason he's puss is for have his own competition-less dunk contest against HIMSELF in a practice facility with his teammates and media then says he'd win this years competition against all the stars entering basically disrespecting all of those who are entering.

He's a PUSS!

So you are saying a puss because he said something in the heat of the moment and failed to back it up. So Garnett is a puss (said he was going to bring another championship to Boston, failed to back it up). Jordan is a puss (said he was walking away for forever, failed to back it up when he went to Washington).

Kobe Bryant is a huge puss. Saying "we'll be a threat in the playoffs" as his team was swept in the first round. Guaranteeing a championship in 2012.

So he backed out of both of those promises, you know, ones actually about the game of basketball. So Kobe is twice the puss that Lebron is is what you are saying, well maybe 10 times, as Kobe's failed promises were about actually winning basketball games, not some playground fun fest.

Every single person you are trying to slam COMPETED and was a competitor in each and every example. No one backed out like you were saying except MJ on the wizards because he was the definition of a competitor and even if he'd lose to younger and stronger athletes he still wanted to compete. Lebron just pussed out each and everytime the dunk contest rolled around including this year and was gutless enough to proclaim he'd win after having his competition-less dunk contest.

He's the definition of a PUSS! Not sure how that doesn't make sense to you and mightybosstone... Hey bro I like puss to just not guys acting like one.

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Another reason he's puss is for have his own competition-less dunk contest against HIMSELF in a practice facility with his teammates and media then says he'd win this years competition against all the stars entering basically disrespecting all of those who are entering instead of competing.

He's a PUSS!

Oh no. Someone caught him on a cell phone dunking in practice? Lets get upset now! Why would an NBA player ever dunk unless it was to be in a competition? So when a player starts shooting three's in practice but backs out of a 3pt competition, they are just pissing on Larry Birds legend huh? Oh wait, he's been having fun dunking without entering the dunk competition since he was a rookie. Why does this upset you so much?

Do you hear your ammo here? He isn't a puss because he's played about a billion games in the past 2 years and won every single thing you can win as an NBA player, you know, playing actual basketball, becoming the most dominant athlete in sports now. But he decides he got ahead of himself in some self hyping dunk-off, retract his statement and you think its actually important here. How many times do athletes do this? Saying they are going to win this, run for 2000 yards, hit 40 homers, enter these events in the Olympics, hold out for more money, get their degree, help this charity, and not do what they said they would? Is there any athlete that HASNíT said something they failed to do? Why is this the defining one?

Someone catches him on camera dunking and looking like he is actually enjoying it and itís like he took a 3 year olds lollipop. Teammates and the media say he is a great dunker and you think that is his fault? Have you not seen him dunk? Why wouldnít he be the favorite to win?

I am sorry, but I don't see how retracting a statement about a little side game that has zero effect on the sport of basketball bothers you. Itís like you are purposefully trying to make this seem important. That it would have some effect on his career. Like only real men join dunk competitions, and somehow that became the important thing for a basketball player moreso than oh, actually scoring a single point in an actual game. I really am going to have to say that I am not buying you really feel let down by Lebron here. I don't think you were this HUGE fan, hoping to see him out there, and now feel abandoned. I think you are just trolling here. And sorry, but him going back on that 4 years ago, really not that important or worth feeling like it defines him in some way as a person or basketball player.

Why does deciding after thinking on it that you donít want to partake in a dunk contest you think is getting stale and watered down (if you donít think it is, look at the goofy new rules they are trying out this year to try and keep it ďfreshĒ) make him seem like a puss? You keep saying it does, but canít offer any reason why not competing in a side game that is pointless for him makes him a puss, and the millions of other athletes who failed to complete promises to fans and media in things that actually mattered in their games or in life arenít?

Answer that, and Iíll believe you arenít just trolling here.

slashsnake
02-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Every single person you are trying to slam COMPETED and was a competitor in each and every example. No one backed out like you were saying except MJ on the wizards because he was the definition of a competitor and even if he'd lose to younger and stronger athletes he still wanted to compete. Lebron just pussed out each and everytime the dunk contest rolled around including this year and was gutless enough to proclaim he'd win after having his competition-less dunk contest.

He's the definition of a PUSS! Not sure how that doesn't make sense to you and mightybosstone... Hey bro I like puss to just not guys acting like one.

Really, so Garnett was trying to win another championship for Boston by waiving his no trade clause so he could move on to another team? Interesting....

Really, if your view on an NBA players strength is his ability to stick with his guns to enter a dainty little dunk contest, I really worry about your judgement there.

ghettosean
02-13-2014, 08:43 PM

Really, so Garnett was trying to win another championship for Boston by waiving his no trade clause so he could move on to another team? Interesting....

Really, if your view on an NBA players strength is his ability to stick with his guns to enter a dainty little dunk contest, I really worry about your judgement there.

Sigh... I'm done with this soon but Garnett was asked to leave for the good of the franchise and left reluctantly but got Boston a hell of a return for leaving. They even honored him and Pierce separately for all they have done for the Celtics and the fans gave them a standing ovation for this and indicated that there numbers would be retired there.

What you are saying has nothing to do with this thread!

I'm done with this thread for a while but you made better points than the previous poster and that's saying alot.

MickeyMgl
02-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I feel like he is just trolling the fans now.

I guess that's one way to cover for someone saying something stupid. "He's just trolling. He's not actually full of himself or anything. It's trolling is what it is."

MickeyMgl
02-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Both Dwight and Blake won dunk contests and it did absolutely nothing for them at all. Blake is still hated on and called soft, and Dwight isn't considered the top center in the league anymore when centers basically suck.

They got some nice endorsements out of it. That's not nothing. Endorsements are a big part of legacy. Go ask Mike.

MickeyMgl
02-14-2014, 01:29 PM
This is a load of ******** and you know it. As I said, no one brings up the dunk contest or three point contest when rating best players of all time. In a months time, no one will give a **** about Lebron not entering the dunk contest. Legacy my ***.

"Legacy" reaches beyond player rating. Michael Jordan from the free throw line, Dr. J from the free throw line. These are iconic images. Lebron not participating is his prerogative. In the long run, his absence from the contest won't bring him as much grief as his running his mouth from the sidelines. That's what qualifies him as chicken**it.

MickeyMgl
02-14-2014, 01:38 PM

Kareem
Magic
Bird
Shaq
Oscar Robertson
Dwyane Wade
Charles Barkley
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Pierce
Ray Allen
Isiah Thomas

Ray Allen competed against Kobe Bryant in 1997. I don't really see another dunker capable of winning up there.

MickeyMgl
02-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Maybe if he gets a bunch of all stars to go out there with him to help him dunk.

Too bad there's no way to collude with other players to stack the deck in his favor to win Dunk Contests.

MickeyMgl
02-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Instead of continuously challenging himself, LeBron continuously tries to make things as easy as possible for himself and it all stems from his fear of failure.

In a nutshell.

Goose17
02-15-2014, 12:16 PM
I wonder if they could make it more enticing?

Maybe throw in a two year endorsement for the winner or something.

OlivaThor
02-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Yesterday contest showed you why

sunsfan88
02-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Because Kobe was a raw rookie and FAR from a start, let alone a superstar lol?

What about Dwight, Carter, Amare and Griffin then?

PT1083
02-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Because he's a *****.

TheIlladelph16
02-17-2014, 03:32 PM
What about Dwight, Carter, Amare and Griffin then?

Dwight and Griffin were No. 1 overall picks and were definitely stars coming into the league from a marketing perspective. Howard was probably helped by his appearances, but its not the same as Kobe's situation coming into the league.

sunsfan88
02-18-2014, 04:58 AM
Dwight and Griffin were No. 1 overall picks and were definitely stars coming into the league from a marketing perspective. Howard was probably helped by his appearances, but its not the same as Kobe's situation coming into the league.

Yea but this still defeats the argument that LeBron doesn't have to do the dunk contest cause he's superstar.

slashsnake
02-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Yea but this still defeats the argument that LeBron doesn't have to do the dunk contest cause he's superstar.

Not really. How is it going to help him? He's already the most talked about player in the NBA, and everyone already knows he has the ability to throw down some crazy dunks. People get to see that every practice it seems. He isn't a 22 year old looking to show off something new and maybe get a Nike or Kia contract next year.

Maybe 7-8 years ago it could have helped him, but that's pretty old news now. He's obviously done fine without it.

PurpleLynch
02-18-2014, 05:31 PM
I think the truth lies in the middle:Lebron is not afraid of a dunk contest,he handled a lot of playoffs run and got championships,so he sustained surely more pressure during those,but,I think that maybe is aware of not being the most creative dunker in the Nba and also he's more of a power dunker,in my opinion.

I think that he could win anyway in these years a dunk contest,since the creativity quality dropped down a bit imo.

TheIlladelph16
02-18-2014, 09:13 PM

I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is whether he does it or not. Nor do I understand how can take this and infer he is in some way a coward.

I think he honestly just doesn't want to do it. As others have agreed on this subject, he's really just a power dunker. Sure, with his athleticism and basketball skill he could probably come up with something that is pretty sick, but odds are he ends up doing a power dunk over a 2014 Ford Focus or some dumb ****. His recent comments are simply him ****ing with people and getting a conversation going, which clearly has been a rousing success haha. Maybe if he was younger, but I don't know why people expect him to do it at this point.

If they go all out one year and get all big names for it like Blake and KD, I could see him participating though.

koreancabbage
02-19-2014, 10:17 AM
i love how people are so upset bc the player they HATE does not participate in something.

i mean, why does he have to do it? it doesn't help him build his profile at all. noone goes to the HOF by winning a slam dunk contest.

If people people are upset with Lebron not being in it, why aren't the same people wanting Durant in it as much. Guess they want to protect Durant as much as possible and want to see Lebron fail as much as they want Durant to supplant him.