PDA

View Full Version : How much longer do these guys play?

DreamShaker
02-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Some future HOFers are winding things down. How many more seasons do these guys have left?

Duncan
KG
Nash
Kobe
Ray Allen

Thoughts?

Deception
02-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Duncan (2 more years)
KG (1 more year)
Nash (1 more year)
Kobe (4 more years)
Ray Allen (Retires after this season)

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Ooohhhh.... Good question, DS. I think at least one of those guys will retire after this season. I'd bet KG and Nash will both retire after this year unless Brooklyn makes a real run at the playoffs or Nash can get signed to a Miami-type deal as a veteran who plays very little basketball. Allen could retire, too, if Miami wins another ring and he runs out of things to play for. Kobe and Duncan will probably both stick around another couple of years, as they can still play at a relatively high level. If I had to put money on it, I would bet:

Duncan: 2
KG: 0
Nash: 0
Kobe: 3
Allen: 1

Duncan = Donkey
02-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Dont see Nash leaving 9 million on the table.

I can see them all coming back for another year. I think Kobe will play until he is 40.

KG - 1 more year
Nash - 1 more year
Allen - 1 more year
Duncan - 2 more years
Kobe 4/5 more years

kingsdelez24
02-11-2014, 12:34 AM
I have a feeling that they'll all play out the rest of their contracts. OP forgot to add Paul Pierce to the list. He plays for 2 more years as well

Baller1
02-11-2014, 12:35 AM
KG's done after this season. He's just not any good anymore... And he doesn't even seem like he cares all that much. Duncan will play as long as his body lets him, he's still got a lot left in the tank.

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Dont see Nash leaving 9 million on the table.

I considered that, but it's not like he's actually "played" this season at all. Unless he's healthy enough to actually see the court for a good chunk of the year, I don't see a reason to come back to play for a team that has absolutely nothing to play for. Now, if he were to get traded or something worked out where he could play 10-15 minutes a game for a contender, that would be different.

tredigs
02-11-2014, 12:45 AM
You guys honestly think Kobe plays 4-5 more years? I'm having trouble imagining him playing 3 more. One more big injury and he's out. There's talks of him not being able to return this season as is. The rest are 0-2 imo. I think Nash and KG are done. Duncan still has 2 in him. Guy is putting up 20/12/3 + 3 blocks since he found out he wouldn't be an All Star haha. Talk about a player coasting, I think it's him.

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 12:51 AM
You guys honestly think Kobe plays 4-5 more years? I'm having trouble imagining him playing 3 more. One more big injury and he's out. There's talks of him not being able to return this season as is. The rest are 0-2 imo. I think Nash and KG are done. Duncan still has 2 in him. Guy is putting up 20/12/3 + 3 blocks since he found out he wouldn't be an All Star haha. Talk about a player coasting, I think it's him.

I don't see Kobe playing that much longer, either. But I at least think he'll play out that massive contract he just got, and maybe he'll give the Lakers or a contender one final discounted season as his swan song to try and break as many records as he can. It will depend a lot on his health and what the Lakers actually have to play for. But I certainly don't see him playing another 4-5 seasons.

I think you're dead on about the other guys. I have a hard time seeing Nash and KG hanging around for another season considering how useless they've been this year. But Duncan still has a lot left in the tank, and the Spurs are still a relevant basketball team coming off a strong showing in the NBA Finals a year ago.

Duncan = Donkey
02-11-2014, 12:58 AM
I considered that, but it's not like he's actually "played" this season at all. Unless he's healthy enough to actually see the court for a good chunk of the year, I don't see a reason to come back to play for a team that has absolutely nothing to play for. Now, if he were to get traded or something worked out where he could play 10-15 minutes a game for a contender, that would be different.

9 million dollars is a pretty good reason to come back lol, even if its for a ****** team.

Deception
02-11-2014, 12:58 AM
I don't see Kobe playing that much longer, either. But I at least think he'll play out that massive contract he just got, and maybe he'll give the Lakers or a contender one final discounted season as his swan song to try and break as many records as he can. It will depend a lot on his health and what the Lakers actually have to play for. But I certainly don't see him playing another 4-5 seasons.

I think you're dead on about the other guys. I have a hard time seeing Nash and KG hanging around for another season considering how useless they've been this year. But Duncan still has a lot left in the tank, and the Spurs are still a relevant basketball team coming off a strong showing in the NBA Finals a year ago.

Kobe just signed a 2 year extension, and if you think he gives a discount after that, it'll be 3 years, 4 if you include this year.

ghettosean
02-11-2014, 01:01 AM
You guys honestly think Kobe plays 4-5 more years? I'm having trouble imagining him playing 3 more. One more big injury and he's out. There's talks of him not being able to return this season as is. The rest are 0-2 imo. I think Nash and KG are done. Duncan still has 2 in him. Guy is putting up 20/12/3 + 3 blocks since he found out he wouldn't be an All Star haha. Talk about a player coasting, I think it's him. Duncan is just saving himself for the playoffs like always... Giving the illusion that he's coasting or sub par but when you need him he's there. (Except when Pop takes him out in game 6 in the last seconds with a critical rebound.... arrrrrragh!!!)

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 01:04 AM
Kobe just signed a 2 year extension, and if you think he gives a discount after that, it'll be 3 years, 4 if you include this year.

Look at my original answer. I said three more years, and I'm not including this season, because that doesn't make sense. He'll stick around for at least two years as long as he's healthy enough to play a significant portion of both seasons. And I think there's a good chance he'll play one more year if he's got something to play for or if he can sign on to a contender. 2-3 years seems right.

Deception
02-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Look at my original answer. I said three more years, and I'm not including this season, because that doesn't make sense. He'll stick around for at least two years as long as he's healthy enough to play a significant portion of both seasons. And I think there's a good chance he'll play one more year if he's got something to play for or if he can sign on to a contender. 2-3 years seems right.

You made it seem farfetched that he would play an extra year to make it 4 years, which is what I was commenting towards. Most likely, he's going to sign a 2 year, player option 8 mill per after his contract ends. Kobe is one of the most competitive players in the game. He will try his hardest to be known as one of the best over MJ.

jerellh528
02-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Duncan 2
KG 1
Nash 0
Kobe 3
Ray Allen 1

mightybosstone
02-11-2014, 01:21 AM
You made it seem farfetched that he would play an extra year to make it 4 years, which is what I was commenting towards. Most likely, he's going to sign a 2 year, player option 8 mill per after his contract ends. Kobe is one of the most competitive players in the game. He will try his hardest to be known as one of the best over MJ.

But that doesn't make any sense. For one, I don't think he'll be worth $4 million a season after another two years. Assuming he can play another 150 games between the remainder of this season and the next two, he'll be top 5-10 in the history of the league in terms of games and minutes played. That's a ton of games and minutes, and the guy's health has barely allowed him to play any basketball at all this season.

Also, longevity doesn't prove anything. If he wants to pass MJ on the all-time points list, he doesn't need 4-5 more seasons to do it. He's only 500+ points behind MJ, so he could surpass him on that list in the middle of next season. But to pass Kareem on the list, he'd need 7,000+ points. That's just not going to happen. He would have to average 20 points per game on average and play an average of 60 games a season for the next six years to do that. It's just not likely.

The only thing I could see Kobe really stick around for is to tie Jordan for a sixth ring. But that's not likely to happen in LA, so he'll have to jump ship after his contract is up and play somewhere else. He'd have to make a major discount to do it, though, and I'm not sure that's in Kobe's DNA.

P&GRealist
02-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Kobe is retiring in 2016. These are the absolute final 2 1/2 yrs you will see of him.

DreamShaker
02-11-2014, 09:02 PM
I also think Nash and KG might be done after this year. Those guys have a lot of pride, and as Barkley once said: "When you're done, you're done". I don't see them sticking around just for a payday. Could be wrong.

Cal827
02-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Duncan is like my Laptop. I think it's over, then it keeps running on and on and on. He'll play till he's 50, becoming the oldest all-star ever in the AS game in 2021. :D

Actual:

Duncan: 2-3 Years (Depends on team, if they don't win anything but are still really good in his final year and can keep the team intact, I can see him sign a 1 year deal for one more run at a title)

Kobe: 2 Years. I fear that he's going to have to leave the game because of another devastating injury.

Steve Nash: 2 Months. End of their season

KG: 2-3 Months (Assuming they make the playoffs. They aren't getting past the second round though)

Pierce: 2-3 Months. It's just so odd seeing him not in a Celtics Uniform. Maybe he goes back next year to mentor their draft pick this season.

Allen: I think it depends on what happens to the Big 3. If they stay, one more year. If they disband, probably after the season is over. I think Battier is done regardless.