PDA

View Full Version : Nash as a coach

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 06:02 PM
I read that he plans to retire after the season. Do you think the Lakers should make him the head coach or will he just be like too much like Dantoni or be in a situation similar to KIDD?! Or do you guys think hes ready?

lamzoka
02-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Nobody knows for sure, but he could be a really good offensive coordinator. he gon have to hire a defensive minded assistant.

PinstripePride
02-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I think he'll turn out to be the next Jason Kidd. I don't see him having any success.

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Nobody knows for sure, but he could be a really good offensive coordinator. he gon have to hire a defensive minded assistant.

Yea I think the NBA should do it like the NFL where they have offensive and defensive coordinator then a Head coach.

sunsfan88
02-10-2014, 07:04 PM
If Kidd can be a coach then sure why not Nash.

I think he will retire and then come back to PHX as an assistant coach and learn from Hornacek and give Dragic & Bledsoe some more tips.

kobe4thewinbang
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
As long as he has a cozy Phil Jackson chair, sure. The dude can't even walk anymore.

Chronz
02-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Yea I think the NBA should do it like the NFL where they have offensive and defensive coordinator then a Head coach.

Thats not applicable because the 2 often intertwine, some coaches may disagree on emphasizing transition balance vs offensive rebounding for example.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2014, 07:18 PM
I think he will be a very good offensive coach, yes. But he will need a top assistant to handle the defense.

Ebbs
02-10-2014, 07:20 PM

lol you assume he doesn't understand NBA defense because he wasn't a great defensive player. lol. Nash is a brilliant mind, has an unfailing work ethic, and won 2 MVP's in a foreign league with superior athletes all over the place.

You're underestimating him.

ChiSox219
02-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Who wouldnt want to play for Steve Nash? I don't get all the defensive cordinator talk, Nash was a smart defender but IQ only goes so far when he had to guard super athletic PG's.

Bishnoff
02-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I thought he said a while back that he wasn't interested in coaching and would prefer to do more movie directing/producing?

Jays Claw
02-10-2014, 07:31 PM
He should learn from Kidd and not try and jump into things too quickly - like for example taking a head coaching job a season after retirement. This shouldn't be a new trend.. especially considering the leap of success Kidd has experienced (sarcasm obviously intended). Maybe take an assistant coaching job, gain some experience, and then vie for a HC job.

Ebbs
02-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Who wouldnt want to play for Steve Nash? I don't get all the defensive cordinator talk, Nash was a smart defender but IQ only goes so far when he had to guard super athletic PG's.

exactly.

smith&wesson
02-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I think he'll turn out to be the next Jason Kidd. I don't see him having any success.

jkidd is going to be a great coach.

smith&wesson
02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I think he will be a very good offensive coach, yes. But he will need a top assistant to handle the defense.

arent most coaches this way ?

for example casey is all about D but doesnt know a lick about offensive plays. Maybe toronto can use a good offensive coordinator. :p

PinstripePride
02-10-2014, 08:28 PM
jkidd is going to be a great coach.

How many years do you see him being a "great coach"? And will it still be with the Nets?

naps
02-10-2014, 08:30 PM
LOL @ all the defensive assistant requirement. Just because he was not known for his defense doesn't mean he doesn't thoroughly understand the principles of that side of the court. Cmon people. Nobody knows for sure whether he would be a great coach or not but this assumption of not capable of instilling defensive mentality on his team is just lame. For all we know he is a great basketball mind and a pure genius at that. Time will tell.

Shammyguy3
02-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Would be awesome. I think the assistant to Hornacek in PHO makes a lot of sense in the next couple years

mrblisterdundee
02-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Can you say Mike D'Antoni?

Duncan = Donkey
02-11-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm pretty sure he already said he has no intentions of becoming a coach.

king4day
02-11-2014, 12:28 AM
I have a really hard time believing he will pass up 10 mil and retire.
Regarding coaching, I see him more as a shooting coach than anything right now. Assistant for a bunch of years and go from there.

king4day
02-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Can you say Mike D'Antoni?

That's the thing. Just because someone doesn't play D doesn't mean they don't understand it. Nash wasn't athletically gifted to guard maybe in the league but he did understand it. I don't think he'd be a similar coach as Coach D

KingPosey
02-11-2014, 01:01 AM

Which right now, is a head coach with half a season's worth of experience, of which half he has had a good ton of success. What point are you trying to make, no BS I'm not following?

todu82
02-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Maybe in 5-7 years just not yet. Guy seems like he'd be a laid back coach so he could work as a coach eventually.

Shammyguy3
02-11-2014, 01:39 AM
Which right now, is a head coach with half a season's worth of experience, of which half he has had a good ton of success. What point are you trying to make, no BS I'm not following?

being a below .500 team when you had contending aspirations isn't a "good ton of success." Yes, extenuating circumstances like injuries and age account for lowering the bar of expectations, and that's not Kidd's fault, but I wouldn't say Kidd has had success yet as a coach.

Phenom1
02-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Thats not applicable because the 2 often intertwine, some coaches may disagree on emphasizing transition balance vs offensive rebounding for example.

Yea I know thats why theres a head coach to make the final call.