PDA

View Full Version : TMAC and Carter

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't remember when they were on the same team so I have a few questions. How did they do playing together? why was TMAC traded? I think with a duo like that, they couldve at least made a trip to the finals, especially in the east.

NYKnickFanatic
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
They played well together, but I think TMac felt like he was overshadowed by his cousin. He wanted to be the main guy. If they stuck together, they definitely could have made the Finals sooner or later. That's if Carter never quits playing hard and they both stay injury free.

One thing is for sure, Raptors games would never be boring to watch. TMac and VC throwing lobs to each other, a beautiful thing to watch.

Chronz
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
They were a fun team to watch thats for sure, at least when Tmac was eventually given the starting spot/minutes to do some damage. Mac played the Pippen role for his team, doing all the little things and defending like mad, tho some argue that he had a better playoff breakthrough than Vince did that final year. Raps used to throw out overgrown lineups with Doug Christie/Tmac/Vince. I really thought that was going to be the future of the league, no PG, just multiple playmakers with great size/versatility.

Raps had promised Tmac a bigger role but Im convinced he never intended on staying there, just didn't want to be traded mid-season either. Just kept his options open (even though he admits to having talked with Grant Hill about joining in Orlando during the season) so Tmac was "traded" because he was leaving Toronto anyways, to go back home to Orlando and play alongside Hill and possibly Duncan. What I saw developing in Toronto was something I had hoped would develop in Orlando. Then injuries ruined another potentially dominant tandem.

abe_froman
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
they played together great,but tmac wanted to play for his hometown team(as well as excited to form a superteam with hill and timmy)

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 03:00 PM
dang it looks like I missed out on a fun team. I didnt even know Dough Christie was there too.

ManRam
02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
T-Mac wasn't traded. The Magic offered him a huge deal. He didn't want to play in the shadow of Vince, and he was open about that. He also grew up in Florida. Grant Hill being there also was a huge plus. It was a no-brain move at the time...unfortunately Duncan fell through and Grant had his woes.

As for how they played together, well, T-Mac was 18, 19 and 20 years old when he was in Toronto. He hadn't entered his prime at all, and that's worth noting. He was just scratching at his potential at the time. We never got star T-Mac with star Vince. He wasn't starting regularly, which was pretty much a joke considering who was getting the starts ahead of him. They certainly could have coexisted, it just never happened.

There's no reason to think they would have been more likely to make a Finals run than a Grant/T-Mac team, however.

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 03:10 PM
T-Mac wasn't traded. The Magic offered him a huge deal. He didn't want to play in the shadow of Vince, and he was open about that. He also grew up in Florida. Grant Hill being there also was a huge plus. It was a no-brain move at the time...unfortunately Duncan fell through and Grant had his woes.

As for how they played together, well, T-Mac was 18, 19 and 20 years old when he was in Toronto. He hadn't entered his prime at all, and that's worth noting. He was just scratching at his potential at the time. We never got star T-Mac with star Vince. He wasn't starting regularly, which was pretty much a joke considering who was getting the starts ahead of him. They certainly could have coexisted, it just never happened.

There's no reason to think they would have been more likely to make a Finals run than a Grant/T-Mac team, however.

Oh okay I thought he was traded. I was just always curious whatever happened bcuz I think that duo couldve been special

tr3ymill3r
02-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Also keep in mind that the East wasn't as bad then as it is now. The Pacers, Sixers, Bucks, Nets, Wizards, Pistons and Celtics were all good enough to compete and make the playoffs with above .500 records. Don't also forget it's Canada and both guys wanted to be the man, and TMac specifically wanted to get out of his cousins shadow especially after the 2000 dunk contest.

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Also keep in mind that the East wasn't as bad then as it is now. The Pacers, Sixers, Bucks, Nets, Wizards, Pistons and Celtics were all good enough to compete and make the playoffs with above .500 records. Don't also forget it's Canada and both guys wanted to be the man, and TMac specifically wanted to get out of his cousins shadow especially after the 2000 dunk contest.

Yea I see what happened now. I just didn't think he'd want to be the man that soon since he was still young. He should've stayed just to see how far they can go. Based on the answers here, I'd say they were a big man away from doing real damage.

Chronz
02-10-2014, 04:40 PM

Doug Christie-Tmac-VC vs Mike Miller-Tmac-Hill

Which lineup do you prefer?

Slade123
02-10-2014, 04:53 PM
TMac left because he didn't want to be under Vince's shadow and wanted to be the main man on a team. A few years back, in an interview, he said he wished he had stayed. And was sure they could have competed with LA for the title.

ManRam
02-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Doug Christie-Tmac-VC vs Mike Miller-Tmac-Hill

Which lineup do you prefer?

The one with Hill and not Carter. Darrell Armstrong was as good as Christie was at that point in their careers...though, they were wildly different players so it's hard to compare. Miller probably was intriguing as he was just the #5 overall pick.

Christie was moved before T-Mac decided to leave, as well.

I do think Orlando was more attractive talent-wise, if that's the question.

And pardon my error earlier, T-Mac was sign and traded to Orlando.

Chronz
02-10-2014, 05:41 PM
TMac left because he didn't want to be under Vince's shadow and wanted to be the main man on a team. A few years back, in an interview, he said he wished he had stayed. And was sure they could have competed with LA for the title.

He wishes alot of things, Im sure he wishes Grant Hill never got injured, since he did plan on starring alongside him in Orlando.

The one with Hill and not Carter. Darrell Armstrong was as good as Christie was at that point in their careers...though, they were wildly different players so it's hard to compare. Miller probably was intriguing as he was just the #5 overall pick.

Christie was moved before T-Mac decided to leave, as well.

I do think Orlando was more attractive talent-wise, if that's the question.

Just talking about fit and potential chemistry together, between the trio if they had stayed together.

ThuglifeJ
02-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Should have stayed. BTW tmac straight up said he regrets it.

And I loved when they played no point guard lineups

ThuglifeJ
02-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Carter was on the rise, Hill was in his middle/late career. It wasnt a well thought out move. I'm pretty sure it had all to do with tmacs jelousy of Vince. He's even openly admitting to this

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Carter was on the rise, Hill was in his middle/late career. It wasnt a well thought out move. I'm pretty sure it had all to do with tmacs jelousy of Vince. He's even openly admitting to this

Yea thats what I was thinking. Idk why he would give that up when Carter was just rising and they were one good player away. How did they do though? how far did they get their last season together?

astonmartin10
02-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah I saw an interview where he says he regrets leaving. Too bad he left could have been something special.

Phenom1
02-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Yeah I saw an interview where he says he regrets leaving. Too bad he left could have been something special.

Had he stayed, do you think they would've been able to beat the likes of Lakers or Spurs?

Jays Claw
02-10-2014, 06:38 PM
What the Raps could have been (http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2010/7/28/vince_51037.jpg).

What they have been (http://firebryancolangelo.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/41787_290705790168_6701182_n.jpg) for the most part in the past decade.

:sigh:

tr3ymill3r
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
i think Duncan would have helped his case a lot more in Orlando.

ThuglifeJ
02-10-2014, 09:09 PM

Had he stayed, do you think they would've been able to beat the likes of Lakers or Spurs?

Probably not initially..but there's a chance.

Honestly even if tmac and Vince lost in the finals every year against Lakers or Spurs, it would still be insanely entertaining and would be better then them both on crap rosters..

FriedTofuz
02-10-2014, 11:13 PM
They wouldve been in the finals with the lakers year after year..

John Walls Era
02-11-2014, 05:32 AM
two losers with all the talent, but no heart.

its a shame because both guys never gave it their all. I remember Tmac picking the Lakers to beat the Rockets when he was still on that team (2008-09 playoffs).

tmacsc2
02-11-2014, 08:12 AM
People are forgetting that the coach in Toronto didn't even want tmac. I can't remember what he told tmac exactly but something a long the lines of he would never amount to anything in the league. That was the biggest reason he left Toronto, not because he wanted to get away from Vince's shadow.

tmacsc2
02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Also tmac said his rookie year was hell under Darrel walker. Not only did walker not give him minutes he also said he would sleep for 20 hours a day lol crazy stuff

3Blueforyou
02-11-2014, 12:55 PM
He wasn't starting regularly, which was pretty much a joke considering who was getting the starts ahead of him.

Doug Christie was starting over him, with both playing around 30min a game. Tracy was highly talented, but was still a young player. Christie was a great defender who I think might have been nba 2nd d team that season. Even come late season and playoffs Tracy was playing 37min a game.

Chronz
02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Also tmac said his rookie year was hell under Darrel walker. Not only did walker not give him minutes he also said he would sleep for 20 hours a day lol crazy stuff

That was prolly the guy who said Tmac wouldn't last 3 years in the league

Chronz
02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Doug Christie was starting over him, with both playing around 30min a game. Tracy was highly talented, but was still a young player. Christie was a great defender who I think might have been nba 2nd d team that season. Even come late season and playoffs Tracy was playing 37min a game.

I think he meant both should have started, as they eventually did IIRC