PDA

View Full Version : Pistons Fire Maurice Cheeks

GroundAttack
02-09-2014, 01:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pistons-fire-coach-maurice-cheeks-165831433.html

The Detroit Pistons have fired coach Maurice Cheeks, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Despite back-to-back victories on the weekend, general manager Joe Dumars informed Cheeks of his dismissal on Sunday morning, sources said.

Cheeks didn't make it to the All-Star break of his first season as Detroit's coach.

In a season that has fallen short of playoff expectations, Detroit owner Tom Gores has been pushing for changes, league sources said. Detroit is 21-29 and a half-game behind Charlotte for the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference playoff chase.

black1605
02-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 10m
The Detroit Pistons have fired coach Mo Cheeks, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

That should fix things...

LionsFan..LOL
02-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Fire Dumars next :hope:

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 01:13 PM
That should fix things...

I hope we become the bobcats tbh.

KniCks4LiFe
02-09-2014, 01:13 PM
If they fire Dumars next, they might become a force :ouch:

Deception
02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I'm surprised he didn't make it till the end of the season. Dumars is next for sure.

deaner
wow. They retained Phil Jackson to find them the best coach for the pistons and he lasted how long?

ManRam
Good move. I maintain that he and Mike Brown are the worst in the league.

Dumars better sort this out or he should be next.

I made 3 season win totals bets this year, and one was Detroit UNDER. That roster just does not work. I like the idea of making those 3 big men just play 32 minutes a game so all three are never on the court at the same time, but that doesn't solve their frequent back court/shooting woes. They obviously have a nice core, they've just filled in the other pieces so poorly.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:17 PM
TBh I didn't see him as the biggest problem more the roster make up and GM . But I guess it'd thr coach that's always the first to go .

AddiX
02-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Not saying it's a bad move, but you put together a bunch of low iq players I'm not really sure what results the team expects to get.

Pistons have been amazing at bringing in players who think there superstars, and are not.

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 01:20 PM
It's a bit random after blowing out two teams in a row, two games in which Smith and Jennings shined pretty brightly.

He also made the move to bring Singler into the starting line up which the team has responded well to for the most part.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Yea this move was just to say " hey we're trying to do something " honestly I think this will do more harm than good

xxplayerxx23
02-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Stupid. The roster doesn't fit together

rocket
02-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Yea this move was just to say " hey we're trying to do something " honestly I think this will do more harm than good

How will this do more harm than good? Cheeks is a horrible coach and his lineup rotations are insanely stupid.

LOOTERX9
02-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Josh smith is lazy and a dog/mutt. He is not a winning player. What a waste of money detroit paid for that guy

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 01:28 PM
a dog/mutt?

ok. Not quite sure how you can look at a player who stuffs the stat sheet and call him lazy. Maybe on offense he was being lazy to start off the year, but he has slowed down on the 3's.

I like Josh Smith, and he's been tearing it up lately. I laugh at some of the proposals that I see on here. Carry on with whoever you root for.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:28 PM
A half game out of the playoffs and they fire the guy smh I hope he gets hired elsewhere . Totally uncalled for , the team has been clicking so far all they needed to do was trade Monore so Smith can flourish at the PF spot but no . Joe deserves to get fired , he gets too much leeway because of those early championships .

DE9394
02-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Jennings tweet:

"I will like to thank Mo Cheeks for everything, thank you for helping me become a better person & player. I'm still learning"

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:32 PM
How will this do more harm than good? Cheeks is a horrible coach and his lineup rotations are insanely stupid.
Who fault is it that the Roster isn't balanced ? I'm sure that's the GMs , not his fault that the best players all play the same position lol they were playing good the last couple of games and were heading upward in the east . A half game spot out of the playoffs didn't weren't a pre all star weekend fire like a um Mike Brown or Woodson . It's more the GM's fault than Cheeks .

Deception
02-09-2014, 01:32 PM
A half game out of the playoffs and they fire the guy smh I hope he gets hired elsewhere . Totally uncalled for , the team has been clicking so far all they needed to do was trade Monore so Smith can flourish at the PF spot but no . Joe deserves to get fired , he gets too much leeway because of those early championships .

The guy wasn't fit as a coach, his previous track record showed it. He benched players when they played well during a game and couldn't figure out a simple rotation. There's a reason he's been fired twice before and that's because he's a sub-par coach.

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Yeah I gotta say, I feel a little bad for Cheeks. I'm not a huge fan of his, but this team was starting to come together and they were a trade away from making sense.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Jennings tweet:

"I will like to thank Mo Cheeks for everything, thank you for helping me become a better person & player. I'm still learning"

But Cheeks is the problem

Jays Claw
02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm still amazed on how long Dumars has served as the Pistons' GM. He's made some brutal signings (Charlie V, Gordon, Smith etc.) and some questionable coaching hires. Oh.. and let's not forget the stupid Billups-for-Iverson swap he did. He should have been canned the moment he blew up the 'power' Pistons (as I'd like to call it) back in '08-09.

Stunner
The guy wasn't fit as a coach, his previous track record showed it. He benched players when they played well during a game and couldn't figure out a simple rotation. There's a reason he's been fired twice before and that's because he's a sub-par coach.

It's still more of a roster issue than a coach issue like I says when push comes to shove the coach gets the blame . He at least deserved the rest of the season with him having to start Smith at the SF spot .

RipCity32
Cheeks was absolutly terrible. But now you have to fire Dumars if you want any respectable coach to come here. I'm hoping we can bring in Hollins.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah I gotta say, I feel a little bad for Cheeks. I'm not a huge fan of his, but this team was starting to come together and they were a trade away from making sense.

Not being stubborn and possibly moving Monroe to Boston for Jeff Green and a 1st would had your roster looking nice .

ManRam
02-09-2014, 01:37 PM
The roster doesn't work, but you can manage it better than he is, for sure. The guy is hellbent on using Smith/Monroe/Drummond at all times. It's BY FAR the most used lineup (496 minutes to 135 for the #2 most used)

The Jennings-KCP-Smith-Monroe-Drummond lineup has played 4x as much as any other 5-man unit. That unit gets out-scored by 5 points every 100 possessions. That's not gonna get you into contention.

Their two semi-frequently used lineups that have had the best production are:

Jennings/Stuckey/Single/Smith/Drummond
Jennings/KCP/Singler/Smith/Monroe

Each have played less than 1/5th the minutes as that first lineup, yet post a +16.9 and +22.4 points per/100 possessions. Obviously you're reducing the sample size (we only have 97 and 67 minutes of each of those lineups) but my god, that's night and day.

I forget who the Pistons fan is that's been championing the idea of play Smith, Drummond and Monroe just 32 minutes a game so there's always JUST two of them on the court at the same time, and a simple look at the rotations supports that. Maybe the demand to play all-3 together with frequency comes from management, but if it's not, then yeah...fire the coach.

Monroe actually seems to be the problem of the 3, if you acknowledge that Smith is much better at the 4. The lineups with him are less productive on a whole than the lineups without him. There have long been talks about moving him, and it really might not be a bad thing one bit. Though, they don't have a great backup after those 3, so that would hurt.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Hopefully Billups can coach the team the rest of the way , he sure hasn't been playing .

GiantsSwaGG
02-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Mo Cheeks was cheeks

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:40 PM
It's sad when your best players all play the same spot basically and you have to play them due to ego and contracts . Roster isn't just balanced at all so I can see why it would be hard to bench your best players in crunch time even though they don't fit as a unit.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Well he just put Singler in the starting line up the last two games so finally he was prob starting to figure things out in the halfway part of the season and was hoping a trade went down to make the roster make sense but that never hailed because he got canned. All I know is because of this move they better make the playoffs .

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick
The pitch for Lionel Hollins as new Pistons coach will be made, I'm told, & it's a good one. Tough, smart leader could help disjointed group

Hell yeah

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick
The pitch for Lionel Hollins as new Pistons coach will be made, I'm told, & it's a good one. Tough, smart leader could help disjointed group

Please!!!

ManRam
02-09-2014, 01:49 PM
it's pretty obvious the players weren't immediately told of this. some funny pistons player reactions on twitter. jennings and charlie v clearly found out via twitter

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 01:49 PM
yes please, not sure why that wasn't the hire to begin with.

Edit : Why does Charlie V tweet about team related news? He's not even on the team any more as far as I'm concerned, no one cares.

JWO35
02-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Whoever gets hired will be the 9th Head Coach since Dumars became GM in 2000....that's almost a new HC every damn year! This is the same team that won a championship & went to 6 straight ECFs :facepalm:

Jamiecballer
02-09-2014, 01:53 PM
haha Dumars look in the mirror you fool.

This result was all but guaranteed with the way they built that team. Let's get as many low IQ basketball players together as we can and hope for the best! Woodson you are next!

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 01:53 PM
If Dumars gets fired I bet Dan Gilbert hires him, lol.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Hollins would be a great hire , they can sign coaches mid season right ? Next thing to do after getting him is to trade Monroe or Smith at the deadline for Green or Deng .

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 01:58 PM
People need to stop associating this with Joe D. He didn't want him to begin with, and chances are he had little to do with this. (go ahead and let Curry, Kuester play out one season, and Frank two, but fire Cheeks after a half of one?). Joe is a former player, you don't treat some what well respected coaches (names) like that.

Gores has his name all over this one.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't want Joe here.

ManRam
02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
As long as whatever they do keeps them ahead of the Knicks and keeps the Knicks out of the playoffs, I'll be happy. That's all that matters!

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 02:02 PM
People need to stop associating this with Joe D. He didn't want him to begin with, and chances are he had little to do with this. (go ahead and let Curry, Kuester play out one season, and Frank two, but fire Cheeks after a half of one?). Joe is a former player, you don't treat some what well respected coaches (names) like that.

I'm pretty sure I remember Dumars taking credit for the Cheeks hire.

JWO35
02-09-2014, 02:05 PM

I thought Cheeks was Dumars guy...and now that we aren't living up to expectations Gores wants him gone. I may be wrong, but that's how I'm looking at it. I think if Cheeks was a Gores guy, I'm sure he wouldn't pull the plug that fast. :shrug:

No doubt Dumars' hand was forced in this decision but many Piston fans feel that Cheeks was the wrong guy from the start...so this is Gores basically telling Dumars "I told you so"

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Sorry I recall reading that when he was hired, but I can't find a source. I must not be right about that. I think the rest of it stands true though, I don't think this was Joe's decision.

Cheeks was absolutely the wrong decision. Hollins seemed like the most obvious choice in the world, which leads me to think that he may not want to come here.

DetroitBadBoy
02-09-2014, 02:09 PM
A lot of people who commented on this thread obviously do not watch the Pistons on a gamely basis. Mo Cheeks was a huge problem. He is NOT head coach material. Him as an assistant is a different story.

Our roster is not perfectly build but you can absolutely win with it and we should be the 3rd seed in the east, EASILY! Cheeks game plan was to freelance.

Deception
02-09-2014, 02:10 PM
haha Dumars look in the mirror you fool.

This result was all but guaranteed with the way they build that team. Let's get as many low IQ basketball players together as we can and hope for the best! Woodson you are next!

Dumars didn't fire Cheeks, Gores did.

mark1125
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
As a Pistons fan, I am glad Cheeks is gone. He was the wrong choice to begin with. However, this SHOULD be just the start. There are a lot of other things that need to be addressed.

Joe Dumars needs to be next. Joe.....thanks for the titles you brought to us as a player and GM, but it's time to go. When Dumars became the GM, he did a great job. However, the game has changed in the last decade and Dumars has not. His free agent moves are horrendous and his coaching choices are suspect at best. The hard part is that now no worthwhile coaching candidate would be interested in this position as long as Dumars is here. Pistons need to start at the top.

On to personnel.....do not try to squeak into the playoffs. Deal off any player with appeal to other teams as long as their name isn't Drummond. A decision needs to be made on Monroe and Smith. There is not room for them both. This was clear before they even signed him. Do they keep the soon to be expensive Monroe? They could net a nice return. Can they trade Smith. He is not a bad player. He is just a square peg in a round hole. Problem is that he won't bring back much if anything with that deal.

Best case scenario for the Pistons is that they get a top 8 pick so they don't have to give it to Charlotte (Courtesy of the lovely Ben Gordon deal) and start anew in the off season.

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
"Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) tweeted at 1:05pm - 9 Feb 14:

Former NBA coach Lionel Hollins is very interested in Pistons head coach opening, but has not been contacted yet, a source said. " [/url]

I think he's coming here

mark1125
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
You said But Cheeks.

Sorry for the juvinille joke, but had to do it.

Cheeks is only a small part of the problem. The GM needs to gone as well. Until that happens, no worthwhile coach or player will want to play/coach here.

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 02:24 PM
dbl post

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
I think he's coming here

Yep sounds like it. Awesome if true.

WITZ
02-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Seriously ownership didn't even tell the players. You got Charlie V & Jennings asking on twitter if this is true :laugh2:

Deception
02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Seriously ownership didn't even tell the players. You got Charlie V & Jennings asking on twitter if this is true :laugh2:

Charlie V should be banned from team activities and should watch the games at home to how much of a loser he is.

mark1125
02-09-2014, 02:34 PM

Is Charlie V even paying attention anymore? One of Joe D's many wise personnel moves. LOL

deaner
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't know why Piston fans are celebrating Hollins coming over... yes, it's change. But there are huge red flags for me when you put an old school head coach with a low IQ team like the Pistons. I call it right now, Hollins, who doesn't mind being physical with his roster, and Drummond are going to have a physical altercation.

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 02:50 PM
I don't know why Piston fans are celebrating Hollins coming over... yes, it's change. But there are huge red flags for me when you put an old school head coach with a low IQ team like the Pistons. I call it right now, Hollins, who doesn't mind being physical with his roster, and Drummond are going to have a physical altercation.

Why would he have a altercation with Drummond? The only low IQ players on the team are Smith and Jennings. And I would love to see Hollins chew they're ***** out when they take a bad shot.

DE9394
02-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Official: John Loyer is the interim Coach

@Vincent_Ellis56

MonroeFAN
02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
that's not the splash I was hoping for.

GunFactor187
02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/have-rasheed-wallace-become-interim-head-coach-detroit-pistons/0z34l46p

:laugh2:

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 02:59 PM
that's not the splash I was hoping for.

Temporary

rocket
02-09-2014, 03:14 PM

you lost me there.

then i read the last part..... :laugh:

What the ****!? :laugh2:

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
you lost me there.

then i read the last part..... :laugh:

What the ****!? :laugh2:

I think Hes a Raptor fan. So the Drummond low IQ thing is the new thing they are riding to try and make him a bad player.

D-Leethal
02-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Hollins makes sense, if they are going to keep this frontline in tact might as well try to mold them into last year's Memphis Grizzlies. A lot of similarities.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Hollins makes sense, if they are going to keep this frontline in tact might as well try to mold them into last year's Memphis Grizzlies. A lot of similarities.

Smith is Rudy Gay ?

DreamShaker
02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
It's a bit random after blowing out two teams in a row, two games in which Smith and Jennings shined pretty brightly.

He also made the move to bring Singler into the starting line up which the team has responded well to for the most part.

That is what caught me off guard. Usually coaches get fired after some kind of "last straw" type situation. They had played well lately. Something has to be deeper than this.

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
That is what caught me off guard. Usually coaches get fired after some kind of "last straw" type situation. They had played well lately. Something has to be deeper than this.

We've done this all season. Couple of big wins and then get blew out. We beat Indiana and Miami both on they're home courts and then turn around and have 20 point blowout losses to the Lakers, Magic, Jazz and so on. It's a vicious cycle that needs to be fixed now.

ManRam
02-09-2014, 03:57 PM
They said they're sticking with John Loyer for the rest of the season...

DreamShaker
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
We've done this all season. Couple of big wins and then get blew out. We beat Indiana and Miami both on they're home courts and then turn around and have 20 point blowout losses to the Lakers, Magic, Jazz and so on. It's a vicious cycle that needs to be fixed now.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 04:23 PM
They said they're sticking with John Loyer for the rest of the season...

Which makes firing Cheeks at this time pointless lmfaooooooooo

RipCity32
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Gotcha. That makes sense.

Were in the worst spot we can be in right now. We're not in the playoffs and we lose our pick in a great draft to the Bobcats if we don't fall in the bottom 8. We are falling into no mans land quickly. If it wasn't for the growth of Drummond I would have a very hard time watching this team right now.

ManRam
02-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Which makes firing Cheeks at this time pointless lmfaooooooooo

Why?

Because he's not an established name? As long as he brings positive CHANGE it certainly can be beneficial.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Why?

Because he's not an established name? As long as he brings positive CHANGE it certainly can be beneficial.

Them firing him at this point not to make a major change at coach didn't make sense to me . Even with all of the views they have on Cheeks he was still the least of the problems with the pistons and were are still in the playoff race . Is this guy really that much better than cheeks that he couldn't finish the rest of the season out ? Pistons know who they want can't they just go sign a new coach mid season or is that against the rules ? Just don't see a point at least one if your key players had the respect of the coach you fired out of the blue . Hopefully the Pistons can sneak into the playoffs still with this temp coach though . I just don't see much of a change to me seems like a lateral move for a guy in his first season .

astonmartin10
02-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Dumars should be on the chopping block also. Start fresh.

ManRam
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Them firing him at this point not to make a major change at coach didn't make sense to me . Even with all of the views they have on Cheeks he was still the least of the problems with the pistons and were are still in the playoff race . Is this guy really that much better than cheeks that he couldn't finish the rest of the season out ? Pistons know who they want can't they just go sign a new coach mid season or is that against the rules ? Just don't see a point at least one if your key players had the respect of the coach you fired out of the blue . Hopefully the Pistons can sneak into the playoffs still with this temp coach though . I just don't see much of a change to me seems like a lateral move for a guy in his first season .

Remember when Lawrence Frank became coach of New Jersey promoted as an assistant to interim mid-season?

The Knicks let D'Antoni go, promoted Woodson in 2012 and their season turned around like crazy.

Indy from Jim O'Brien to Vogel in 2011 (maybe 12, can't remember).

I don't know...that's just off the top of my head. It has worked. It can work.

Mo Cheeks was awful. An assistant is gonna have a better grasp on the roster than a new guy. The Pistons CAN sign a new coach, of course, but maybe they like what this guy brings to the table. I'd trust, even as dysfunctional as they can be, they know Loyer better than we do.

It the very least it's a lateral move. Only time will tell. Hopefully, at the very least, it sends a message to that team that what they're doing is not OK. That alone could help a bit

Goose17
02-09-2014, 04:57 PM
The fact that some of the players only found out after the news broke on twitter shows how poorly run this organisation truly is.

albertajaysfan
02-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I think Hes a Raptor fan. So the Drummond low IQ thing is the new thing they are riding to try and make him a bad player.

Hey don't lump us all in together.

I am of the opinion that Ross is showing that he wasn't a waste of a pick this year thus softening the blow of passing on Drummond.

In regards to the Pistons. Trade Monroe already. Out of all the big men he is the most logical one to trade. Drummond you only trade for Lebron or Durant IMO. Smith you don't get as good of a return and he is a great player if put in the proper position, at PF. Smith and Drummond also work better together than Drummond and Monroe adding another reason to use Monroe to upgrade the roster.

That Monroe for Green and pick trade made a lot of sense to me.

Jennings/KCP/Green/Smith/Drummond with Stuckey and Singler coming off the bench is a nice starting point. Don't know the roster well enough to know who else would be a useful bench piece.

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Cheeks was a great point guard and he can be a good coach in the right situation, but he wasn't right for Detroit.

Jennings is a HUGE problem. When they signed Cheeks and brought Billups in, I thought they would be a good influence on Jennings, but Jennings is a chucker. Period. There is not fixing that problem. There have been SO many games where Jennings is just throwing bad shots up and other guys are shooting well, and the fact that Cheeks left Jennings out there... that is just bad. Smith is a problem too, but Jennings is the guy with the ball in his hands. Drummond and Monroe are hitting at a high percentage, and there are some good shooters on the Pistons (Jereko and Singler). A good point guard would use the big men in the front and his ability to drive to open things up for these shooters. Jennings is all about me-basketball. He wants to get his 20 points more than he wants to win.

Cheeks should have nipped this in the bud. Stuckey (who I am NOT a huge fan of) should be starting at PG right now.

Dumars needs to pack up Jennings and get him out of town. I don't even care what they take back.

I LOVE Dumars... I used to watch him back in the day, I watched him win finals MVP and I saw him stick by the team when he could have went ring chasing and then build a championship team after losing Grant Hill... I do not want to see him go, but the Caldwell-Pope pick was awful, and so was the Jennings trade. I don't blame him for Smith, because if Smith was playing like he did the last couple of years, he'd be on the All-Star team this year, but Jennings makes the players around him worse and Cheeks was facilitating that.

ManRam
02-09-2014, 06:08 PM
In Jennings' defense, he's just about the only decent back court player the Pistons have. KCP has been trash. Stuckey has never had any outside game. Singler is a nice 7th or 8th man. Yeah, he's a chucker, but I don't think he makes for the right scapegoat here, at all. Singler and Jerebko can hit shots, but they aren't play-makers nor can they consistently create their own shots.

It's a thin roster with a logjam up front that forces a really good PF into a position where he has no business playing, with little shooting to keep defenses honest and essentially one play-maker...and that one play-maker is Jennings who isn't terribly efficient.

I'm sure you watch the Pistons more than I do (though, I've watched a lot of them lately for whatever reason), but Stuckey starting over Jennings isn't fixing ****.

Deception
02-09-2014, 06:15 PM
In Jennings' defense, he's just about the only decent back court player the Pistons have. KCP has been trash. Stuckey has never had any outside game. Singler is a nice 7th or 8th man. Yeah, he's a chucker, but I don't think he makes for the right scapegoat here, at all. Singler and Jerebko can hit shots, but they aren't play-makers nor can they consistently create their own shots.

It's a thin roster with a logjam up front that forces a really good PF into a position where he has no business playing, with little shooting to keep defenses honest and essentially one play-maker...and that one play-maker is Jennings who isn't terribly efficient.

I'm sure you watch the Pistons more than I do (though, I've watched a lot of them lately for whatever reason), but Stuckey starting over Jennings isn't fixing ****.

KCP hasn't been trash, his coach has ruined his confidence, he started all his games and even when he wasn't shooting his defense has been phenomenal. Since he's been benched, he's played only 8 minutes on average vs his 24 he played when starting.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-09-2014, 06:24 PM
When will Dumars fire the person who is the reason for the failures?

DetroitBadBoy
02-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Cheeks' rotation was ridiculous. No one could establish any chemistry. Bynum called him out for good reason and gets benched next game for being honest. I'm guessing that was another nail in his coffin.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-09-2014, 06:27 PM

:pity:

ManRam
02-09-2014, 06:30 PM
KCP hasn't been trash, his coach has ruined his confidence, he started all his games and even when he wasn't shooting his defense has been phenomenal. Since he's been benched, he's played only 8 minutes on average vs his 24 he played when starting.

I like KCP, don't get me wrong. He's just not quite ready.

As a starter he's shooting .399/.322/.742. That's not good for a guy whose biggest strength entering the league was his shot. 7.3 points on 7.2 shots. Not gonna cut it. Regardless of WHY he's been bad, he has been bad.

I won't comment on his defense because that's not something I've focused on.

MiamiBoy77
02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Good move. I maintain that he and Mike Brown are the worst in the league.

Dumars better sort this out or he should be next.

I made 3 season win totals bets this year, and one was Detroit UNDER. That roster just does not work. I like the idea of making those 3 big men just play 32 minutes a game so all three are never on the court at the same time, but that doesn't solve their frequent back court/shooting woes. They obviously have a nice core, they've just filled in the other pieces so poorly.

i guess mine is good too. Pistons under and thunder over. lock lock

rocket
02-10-2014, 08:08 PM
I like KCP, don't get me wrong. He's just not quite ready.

As a starter he's shooting .399/.322/.742. That's not good for a guy whose biggest strength entering the league was his shot. 7.3 points on 7.2 shots. Not gonna cut it. Regardless of WHY he's been bad, he has been bad.

I won't comment on his defense because that's not something I've focused on.

That's the thing... KCP is known for his defense not his offense. So his slow offensive start isn't really anything surprising.

NBA_Starter
02-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Are they trying to tank or think a new coach will save the season or what?

Deception
02-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Are they trying to tank or think a new coach will save the season or what?

If we wanted to tank, we would have kept Cheeks. The firing was made in hopes of pushing us into a playoff team.

DitchDat
02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
So does this mean they keep Smoove?

ManRam
02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
That's the thing... KCP is known for his defense not his offense. So his slow offensive start isn't really anything surprising.

I don't recall that being the draft report on the guy. I mean, he wasn't regarded as a bad defender, more of a guy with a lot of defensive potential, but his scoring ability and especially his shot were what had him climb. He's shown little of either. Again, I said I'm a fan...and as an SEC fan I saw a lot of him in college, but offensively he hasn't been an asset yet.

Deception
02-11-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't recall that being the draft report on the guy. I mean, he wasn't regarded as a bad defender, more of a guy with a lot of defensive potential, but his scoring ability and especially his shot were what had him climb. He's shown little of either. Again, I said I'm a fan...and as an SEC fan I saw a lot of him in college, but offensively he hasn't been an asset yet.

Here's an excerpt of notes on his draft page

Elite defensive capabilities: gets into his man, moves well side to side, has the length to disrupt shots and plays passing lanes tenaciously (2 SPG). Defense into offense is his forte. Shooting specialist with size and defensive/rebounding skills is never a bad classification.

MonroeFAN
02-11-2014, 02:33 PM
KCP grades out as one of the poorer defenders on our team. He really hasn't done anything all that well, but I saw the potential early on when he was locking people up (it's been a while though). One thing he does well is play the passing lanes, but I don't really view that as an elite level skill, but more so 50/50 risk/reward.
Not upset with him, just hear about his defensive abilities far too often.

dwoyo
02-11-2014, 02:34 PM
They looked pretty damn good against the Spurs. Although I think the firing was premature, this may be the beginning of a turnaround for Detroit. With how the East is doing this year, they should at most be competing with Toronto and Atlanta instead of fighting with Charlotte and New York for the last spot.

kduce
02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
The way they played last night is a prime example of what this team COULD BE. They have games where they look like one of the better teams in the league and then follow it up with a stinker. They have won the last 3 in a row and the last 5 at home which is good because our home record was awful. I am hoping we make a move at the deadline I love Greg Monroe but hes probably going to get us a better return then Smith IMO. We may be a playoff team now, but I think making a move where we get a 3 who can stretch the floor and I think i really makes us a better team all around.

ManRam
02-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Here's an excerpt of notes on his draft page

I didn't deny that the belief was that he could become a great defender. But much of that was based on potential. I can quote a ton of scouting reports that say exactly that.

But I don't care. I'm denying the belief that his defense is what escalated his stock so much...nor do I believe it was his perceived greatest strength. That was, again, his shooting. "Sharpshooter" is a word that was universally used to describe him, and usually was the first word.

And as I originally said, I'm not going to comment on how well he's been on that end. There's now a conflicting assessment from a Pistons fan. A trip over to Synergy and it doesn't paint a good picture. I don't want to bash the guy, because for the 10th time I do like him, but there's no reason for me to not stand by my initial point which was only that he hasn't performed well offensively.

NBA_Starter
02-11-2014, 09:43 PM
They must like the new coach, they did work against the Spurs.

deaner
02-12-2014, 08:38 AM

I picked Drummond because he's still a very young player with a lot to learn. Yes he has elite skill in some areas but not a well rounded game by any stretch.

My point was not mostly about Drummond... Although he is low IQ, It's about Hollins and his old school tactics that don't fly in present day NBA.

MonroeFAN
02-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Drummond is so stupid. I'm surprised he is even able to tie his own shoes let alone be at the top of the league for blocks, steals, and rebounding.