PDA

View Full Version : Old School Question of the Day: Why Was Mitch Richmond Trade by the Warriors?

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2014, 09:39 AM
I was only 14 when the trade went down, so though I remember it, and was shocked by it, I never really heard the reason for the trade.

Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond were easy the most dynamic scoring trio in the league at the time. All they really needed were a couple of bruisers in the front court to defend and rebound (and they had just picked up Tyronne Hill the year before, and he could do both, and in the draft where they got Owens, they draft Chris Gatling who was a solid rebounder himself). But Richmond was traded. And not only was he traded, but he was traded along with another player AND a second round pick for Billy Owens.

Now Billy Owens was a great player, good starter/6th man to have on your roster, and I'm sure his college game was impressive enough to have some GM's drooling, but he wasn't a big time defender or rebounder, which is what GSW really needed at the time. So why was this trade made? And why did the Kings make a trade for a SF when they already had Chris Mullin?

Was there a personality conflict between the stars? Did GSW not want to pay three All-Star wages? Did Don Nelson not like Richmond? Or was this just simply the GM (Don Nelson) overvaluing Owens and making a REALLY bad trade (which is likely).

To top it all off, they actually PASSED up on the on thing they needed most: a defensive center. Dekembe Mutumbo was picked 4th in that year's draft, right after Billy Owens. What could have been a dynasty, was turned into a lottery team. They also passed up on Brian Williams/Bisen Dele and Stanley Roberts in that draft (and for those of you who don't remember Roberts, the dude was so big that when Shaw arrived at LSU, SHAQ was moved to power forward.

Was there something else behind this trade? Or was Don Nelson simply epically horrible at his job?

PurpleLynch
02-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Imo this trade will never make sense.They were looking for a defensive presence to add the last piece to an offense oriented team,but they did this horrible trade instead.So...Nelson's fault.

lol, please
02-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Run TMC :drool:

stawka
02-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Billy Owens, wow. Don't know the reason he was traded and I'll add nothing valuable to this thread, but I used to love Mitch Richmond

Glad he won a ring, very underrated/underappreciated IMO

asandhu23
02-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Idiocy.

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I mean, if they had used that pick for Mutumbo... that would have be genius! But they used it for Billy Owens when they already have a HOF sf?

moshy2
02-09-2014, 11:52 PM
:sigh:

tredigs
02-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Nelly was pressured to get some size on the team.

Bad move. He always regretted it.

DreamShaker
02-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Nelson was smitten with Owens. Said the trade was the biggest mistake he ever made. I have read that in a few interviews. I was 7 when the trade happened, so that's all I know. It seems really weird in hindsight.

Heediot
02-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Hardaway-Mullin-Mutombo is not close to a dynasty. They may have put up a bigger fight in the West against Spurs, Jazz, Rox and Sonics. The trade is significant, but not as big historically.