PDA

View Full Version : New NBA Commish wants to raise the age entry to 20

MagicBucsSox
02-08-2014, 08:50 PM
During the lockout, the issue of the NBA’s age limit was put to the side. The owners wanted to up the age to 20, the players wanted to do away with it again, and in the interest of getting a deal done it was tabled to later.
It is still laying on the table.
New NBA commissioner Adam Silver was the NBA’s “bad cop” negotiator in the last lockout (to David Stern’s “good cop”) and now Silver would like to take the age limit off the table, reports Scott Howard Cooper of NBA.com.

Whoever that executive director is, he is not likely to go for this… unless Silver has some other concessions he plans to give the players.
This is a sign that Silver understands where his bread is buttered — he works for the owners, and the owners want that higher limit.
Why? As discussed here before it is about their impression of risk — owners see money wasted on young players who do not pan out as predicted and think if scouts have more time to see a players in college it will limit some draft mistakes. They will have more time to evaluate players. As an added benefit it would allow players more time to build up marketing star power before they get to the NBA.
As I have said before, I don’t think upping the age does what the owners hope it will — draft busts are not some new phenomenon. NBA teams were making bust draft picks when they got to see players for years Michael Olowokandi spent three years in college, how did that work out? It’s not just him, but a long list of busts who spent time in college.
But this is something the owners want. Understandably. Why not get players to develop for another year on someone else’s dime, not theirs? It’s just not something the players will easily go for, especially with a feistier Chris Paul as the president of the players’ union.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/08/among-adam-silvers-priorities-raising-nba-age-limit/

And I for one like it. So kids will stay in college some will go play overseas/NBADL and be PAID FOR THEIR SERVICES.

kjoke
02-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Should be 21. Players can win championship and legally be able to drink the champagne lol

Bruno
02-08-2014, 08:54 PM
i like it. i don't like the direction the league is going, if this will help develop better post-talent I'm all for it. NBA game is too quick for teenagers to develop a post game in.

ManRam
02-08-2014, 08:59 PM
This is a rare circumstance where I literally have no strong opinion one way or the other. I won't even play Devil's advocate for the hell of it.

RipCity32
02-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Good, Then put all the lottery teams in a drawing with even odds.

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2014, 09:37 PM
I think 4 years in college makes the NBA better.

But I also think if you are good enough to earn a living playing basketball, your age shouldn't matter. Nobody tells a factory worker that they can't work until they're 22. They bring you in right out of highschool.

They have a right to earn a living, and if they aren't going to get paid in college, when the colleges are making money hand-over-fist off of the backs of the work these young people are doing, then they should be able to go pro. The age limit is unfair. Why should these talented young adults risk injury to play for free in college?

If I were as talented as some of these kids coming out of high-school, I'd go to Europe, play a year or two there (like Jennings) and then come over.

MagicBucsSox
02-08-2014, 09:44 PM

But I also think if you are good enough to earn a living playing basketball, your age shouldn't matter. Nobody tells a factory worker that they can't work until they're 22. They bring you in right out of highschool.

They have a right to earn a living, and if they aren't going to get paid in college, when the colleges are making money hand-over-fist off of the backs of the work these young people are doing, then they should be able to go pro. The age limit is unfair. Why should these talented young adults risk injury to play for free in college?

If I were as talented as some of these kids coming out of high-school, I'd go to Europe, play a year or two there (like Jennings) and then come over.

There's a flip side to that, you can't get a job as a nurse(myself) , teacher ,
Doctor or lawyer etc etc without having some kinda post high school degree. Nba is a private league and came make the rules they want.

But as an African American male myself not to get too deep, I'd love seeing more minorities and whites as well getting higher educated instead of fast money that their too immature to handle and 80% of them blow it by 25.

barreleffact
02-08-2014, 10:23 PM
There's a flip side to that, you can't get a job as a nurse(myself) , teacher ,
Doctor or lawyer etc etc without having some kinda post high school degree. Nba is a private league and came make the rules they want.

But as an African American male myself not to get too deep, I'd love seeing more minorities and whites as well getting higher educated instead of fast money that their too immature to handle and 80% of them blow it by 25.

There is no Age restriction for education. There is only an education level restriction. There are a plethora od prodigies that attend college at 8, 12, etc. There are the rare stories of people having PhDs before 18 and professional degrees as well not far after.

NBA stars are rare as it is, so to compare a LeBron or KB that are good enough out of HS to a prodigy is equally as rare, and thus by your own logic, should not be restricted.

I'm a black male myself, soon to complete my third degree. I understand your points about education, but many of these guys aren't going to pick a great path. They are going to be HHP majors or something stupid (not that there is anything wrong with HHP). Forcing them to go to college does NOTHING to help them, and is a huge injury risk as stated. The only people it helps are the owners due to being able to develop on someone elses dime, but hell, draft busts will still happen. The NBA has 60 draftees per year. IDC how many years these guys play in college, mistakes happen and someone will be improperly rated and overpaid.

jimm120
02-08-2014, 10:23 PM
I kind of don't like the age limit being raised more.

NBA players are effective from 18-32. Prime years are at 25-30. At 32, there is a serious downturn and they become unable to play at high levels anymore. Most players are out by the time they're 33-35.

In MLB, player primes are from 28-32, but most players are still useful until 35 and can continue to play until they're 37,

Sorry, but its taking away too much time from players' already short career.

bholly
02-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Should be 21. Players can win championship and legally be able to drink the champagne lol

I never went to the US before I was 21, but isn't consumption fine in private settings in most states, just not purchase?

This is a rare circumstance where I literally have no strong opinion one way or the other.

My initial instinct, too. I had to read the OP to remember what the argument is.

How? It means rookies will be more developed when they enter the league than they would've otherwise, but also likely less developed at that age than if they had've spent those extra years in NBA rather than the college. Long term, player quality is probably lower from the fact that so many guys spend less years in NBA competition. Not to mention the fact that the guys taking their roster spots aren't going to be good, they're going to be the guys who can't make the NBA right now and are going to sit on the end of the bench anyway. I don't see how it benefits quality it all - it just reduces the variance in the draft process.

2-ONE-5
02-08-2014, 10:51 PM

there is a very big difference from being a factory worker to a professional athlete. theyre not even comparable and i think u know that

Shammyguy3
02-08-2014, 10:54 PM
This would be great for the league, college basketball, and the players themselves. While I understand people holding the opinion of "it's their right to leave early and get paid for their talents" - this is a very selective group of employers. If they want to get paid, they can go overseas.

Take for example working as a bar-tender. You have to be 21 because that's the law. There shouldn't be any backlash against the NBA owners/teams/organizations if they want to make their own rules/laws. I get that the bar-tending analogy is a stretch, but the owners have a right to dictate who works for them just as much as the players have a right to get paid for playing.

Dade County
02-08-2014, 11:00 PM
There should be NO age limit, but if you decide to go to college then you have to stay for 2yrs (this has been sated before).

FriedTofuz
02-09-2014, 12:09 AM
good that'll settle down some tankers.

John Walls Era
02-09-2014, 12:35 AM
I actually like 18. Teams should be able to develop their players whenever they want and 18 year olds are adults; they should be able to make a smart decision. If they can't make that decision then too bad.

barreleffact
02-09-2014, 12:54 AM
there is a very big difference from being a factory worker to a professional athlete. theyre not even comparable and i think u know that

Exactly! Factory workers can work longer and stand to lose less if injured.

This would be great for the league, college basketball, and the players themselves. While I understand people holding the opinion of "it's their right to leave early and get paid for their talents" - this is a very selective group of employers. If they want to get paid, they can go overseas.

Take for example working as a bar-tender. You have to be 21 because that's the law. There shouldn't be any backlash against the NBA owners/teams/organizations if they want to make their own rules/laws. I get that the bar-tending analogy is a stretch, but the owners have a right to dictate who works for them just as much as the players have a right to get paid for playing.

You can bar-tend at 18. Consumption is illegal. I know a plethora of people that SALE under 21. Hell, many waitresses are below 21, and you can get a drink anywhere.

I understand the owner's positions, but the players have a finite window to make money, and they stand to make way more here than overseas. Plus, the game is radically different here compared to over seas basketball.

There should be NO age limit, but if you decide to go to college then you have to stay for 2yrs (this has been sated before).

I disagree that there should be a 2 year standard. Who would benefit from it? The players don't. Those that are guaranteed money don't choose majors that are beneficial.

desertlakeshow
02-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Best person for the job, regardless of age. They put a ball in a steel ring, this is not rocket science. No schooling, no age limit. With parental consent of course.

JEDean89
02-09-2014, 01:12 AM
the problem is that people are drafted on potential and often they never reach it.

KniCks4LiFe
02-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Adam Silver already >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stern

BALLER R
02-09-2014, 02:25 AM
Look at the state of the east right now. That's probably one of the reasons why he wants to change the age limit. You got too many guys coming in the league based on potential and it's taking them years to develop. Staying an extra year in college would really benefit them and it would also help the NCAA as well.

valade16
02-09-2014, 02:48 AM
I think the age limit should be 18. No need to force kids to get 1-2 years of college, not get a degree from it, not make money from it, and risk injury and loss of substantial future salary in the futile hope it will somehow make them have a more complete or refined game.

The only thing I think the NBA should do is mandate a % of player salaries be withheld in a trust to be distributed to the player upon their conclusion of NBA contract unless they hire a licensed and credentialed financial planner. This way these kids won't be penniless as many are after their playing days are done.

Asik's better
02-09-2014, 02:50 AM
I love the idea. 2 years at college would create mor mature players coming out of college.

bholly
02-09-2014, 02:56 AM
Look at the state of the east right now. That's probably one of the reasons why he wants to change the age limit. You got too many guys coming in the league based on potential and it's taking them years to develop. Staying an extra year in college would really benefit them and it would also help the NCAA as well.

You really think more time in college makes them better long term? Wouldn't being in the NBA for those years develop them more?

shep33
02-09-2014, 03:02 AM
I honestly don't see how adding an extra year will do these kids any good. I think it should go back to high school or 18 year olds entering.

If a kid is a sure shot 1-5 pick after his senior year in high school, just let him go. He doesn't get paid in college, in fact the NCAA program he goes to is going to take in all that money that the player is bringing them. Not only that but keeping the player there for an extra year can increase his chance at injury before entering the pros and then he can literally lose millions for not being a top pick.

Education is important, but half an education gets you nothing in the real world. For all of us that attended college/university, did you find yourself significantly more mature after your freshman year?

KingstonHawke
02-09-2014, 03:05 AM
I've been saying that this is a dumb idea for a VERY long time! I really don't get how so many billionaires can be so stupid. If the idea behind raising the age is that it will give younger players more time to get exposure and training, but the downside is that you're keeping the potential superstars out of the league longer. The obvious answer is, make players need 3 years if they choose NCAA ball, but only 1 year out of HS if they go to the d-league.

- You still get all the stars that the NCAA will make. A lot of kids that wouldn't have had as much of a chance to shine will get new focus with all the one and done players gone.

- All the Lebron James and Kevin Durant's of the world make you money for that one year instead of the NCAA. Also, they get to make themselves money.

- There are a lot of markets that couldn't sustain a full NBA team, but if you put a d-league team that team would sell out. I'm from Nebraska originally, and if Andrew Wiggins was balling in Omaha, that place would be rocking!

jsthornton7
02-09-2014, 03:31 AM
There should be NO age limit, but if you decide to go to college then you have to stay for 2yrs (this has been stated before).

This.

And shall be stated again.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2014, 03:32 AM
totally fine with this.

TrueFan420
02-09-2014, 03:36 AM

Idk about that but maybe break the lotto into two groups the first have better odds but the same as the others in the group. The second worse odds than the first but the same as the others in their group as well.

bholly
02-09-2014, 04:01 AM
For the record, here's the full list of guys who wouldn't be playing this year if the proposed age limit was in place:
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Archie Goodwin

Here are the other rookies who played in the last 12 years who could've been drafted under current rules but couldn't under a 20 year age limit (I had to compile it myself, so it's likely I missed a few). Draft positions in parentheses:

Kyrie Irving (1)
LeBron James (1)
Anthony Davis (1)
Dwight Howard (1)
Kevin Durant (2)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (2)
Marvin Williams (2)
Carmelo Anthony (3)
Derrick Favors (3)
Bradley Beal (3)
Enes Kanter (3)
Chris Bosh (4)
Nikoloz Tskitishvili (5)
Dajuan Wagner (6)
Martell Webster (6)
Luol Deng (7)
Bismack Biyombo (7)
Andre Drummond (9)
Andrew Bynum (10)
Spencer Hawes (10)
Andris Biedrins (11)
Xavier Henry (12)
Yaroslav Korolev (12)
Thaddeus Young (12)
Sebastian Telfair (13)
Kris Humphries (14)
Anthony Randolph (14)
Al Jefferson (15)
Mo Harkless (15)
Jrue Holiday (17)
Josh Smith (17)
J.R. Smith (18)
Tobias Harris (19)
Kosta Koufos (23)
Travis Outlaw (23)
Johan Petro (25)
Tony Wroten (25)
Ndudi Ebi (26)
Kendrick Perkins (27)
Marquis Teague (29)
C.J. Miles (34)
Ersan Ilyasova (36)
Zaza Pachulia (42)
Trevor Ariza (43)
Martynas Andriuskevicius (44)
Louis Williams (45)
Jamal Sampson (46)
Ha Seung-Jin (46)
Andray Blatche (49)
Amir Johnson (56)

That's 51 guys in 11 years, or ~5 guys per year. Is that such a big deal? And is there really such a high bust rate amongst these guys? I'm not sure it's any higher than the bust rate for the draft as a whole - I count 10 All Stars out of the 27 lottery picks, 11 overall, plus a bunch of other guys who're really close to that level or considered safe bets for the future. Most of the guys who haven't had legit careers have been international players - maybe the solution is to put more effort into scouting them?

I don't know. I can understand in theory why the teams would want to see more of a player before drafting him, but looking at this group of players I don't see any problems - and especially none strong enough to make me think they should've been forced to stay in school longer.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2014, 04:03 AM
I think the age limit should be 18. No need to force kids to get 1-2 years of college, not get a degree from it, not make money from it, and risk injury and loss of substantial future salary in the futile hope it will somehow make them have a more complete or refined game.

The only thing I think the NBA should do is mandate a % of player salaries be withheld in a trust to be distributed to the player upon their conclusion of NBA contract unless they hire a licensed and credentialed financial planner. This way these kids won't be penniless as many are after their playing days are done.

you just listed WHY there should be a minimum age limit. The NBA is a profession. If you are not capable of handling the responsibilities of making that money, work at McDonald's.

We shouldn't feel sorry for athletes that blow through $100 million by age 35.

bholly
02-09-2014, 04:23 AM
^What? They don't blow their career salary in their rookie year, they do it over their career and retirement. You really think one extra year of college - as pretty much a full time athlete, for most of them - is going to make that much difference to their financial responsibility when they're 30? Enough of a difference that the solution is to cut their career (and thus earnings) short by a year?

Something like that - a retirement plan, like many many other professions - sounds like a pretty good idea. The players would resist, of course, and it isn't like the owners would care, so it'll likely never happen, but it's not a bad idea.

Heediot
02-09-2014, 06:19 AM

I think this idea would would decrease tanking.

Heediot
02-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Kansas, Duke and Kentucky would all be deadly next year. It would be a crazy season if this rule were in place now. From all those schools, only Parker IMO can contribute and be an average starter at least from the get go.

MagicBucsSox
02-09-2014, 06:29 AM
For the record, here's the full list of guys who wouldn't be playing this year if the proposed age limit was in place:
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Archie Goodwin

Here are the other rookies who played in the last 12 years who could've been drafted under current rules but couldn't under a 20 year age limit (I had to compile it myself, so it's likely I missed a few). Draft positions in parentheses:

Kyrie Irving (1)
LeBron James (1)
Anthony Davis (1)
Dwight Howard (1)
Kevin Durant (2)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (2)
Marvin Williams (2)
Carmelo Anthony (3)
Derrick Favors (3)
Bradley Beal (3)
Enes Kanter (3)
Chris Bosh (4)
Nikoloz Tskitishvili (5)
Dajuan Wagner (6)
Martell Webster (6)
Luol Deng (7)
Bismack Biyombo (7)
Andre Drummond (9)
Andrew Bynum (10)
Spencer Hawes (10)
Andris Biedrins (11)
Xavier Henry (12)
Yaroslav Korolev (12)
Thaddeus Young (12)
Sebastian Telfair (13)
Kris Humphries (14)
Anthony Randolph (14)
Al Jefferson (15)
Mo Harkless (15)
Jrue Holiday (17)
Josh Smith (17)
J.R. Smith (18)
Tobias Harris (19)
Kosta Koufos (23)
Travis Outlaw (23)
Johan Petro (25)
Tony Wroten (25)
Ndudi Ebi (26)
Kendrick Perkins (27)
Marquis Teague (29)
C.J. Miles (34)
Ersan Ilyasova (36)
Zaza Pachulia (42)
Trevor Ariza (43)
Martynas Andriuskevicius (44)
Louis Williams (45)
Jamal Sampson (46)
Ha Seung-Jin (46)
Andray Blatche (49)
Amir Johnson (56)

That's 51 guys in 11 years, or ~5 guys per year. Is that such a big deal? And is there really such a high bust rate amongst these guys? I'm not sure it's any higher than the bust rate for the draft as a whole - I count 10 All Stars out of the 27 lottery picks, 11 overall, plus a bunch of other guys who're really close to that level or considered safe bets for the future. Most of the guys who haven't had legit careers have been international players - maybe the solution is to put more effort into scouting them?

I don't know. I can understand in theory why the teams would want to see more of a player before drafting him, but looking at this group of players I don't see any problems - and especially none strong enough to make me think they should've been forced to stay in school longer.
And out of those 51 players there's 7 exceptions lol. Exactly why their should be a age limit.

TorontoHuskies
02-09-2014, 06:52 AM
this is dumb it should be lower if anything half these players don't care about getting an education why force them....Lebron was averaging 21 PTS 6 ASTS and 5.5 RBS at 19 he was clearly ready.

PraiseJesus
02-09-2014, 07:04 AM
I like it because I think younger players bring down the quality of the game. GMs pick players based on upside not skill

I think making them wait 4 years is a little much. There should be a minor league system because the NCAA is a slave driving organization

LOOTERX9
02-09-2014, 07:48 AM
I can make a case for both sides tbh. The owners in theory have a good point bout developing young players on ncaa's dime. The players association says wtf is 1 more yr playing against inferior college players gonna do to make a player more ready for the nba? Some of nba's top player came in nba under 20 yrs old. But i dont care either way tbh

GrumpyOldMan
02-09-2014, 08:42 AM

I am fine with the system the way it is as far as the NBA is concerned. You have a pretty valid point, but I dont think it is the NBA's responsibility to provide the financial security/rationing. I think that the NCAA should provide mandatory finacial education to every athlete they provide an athletic scholorship to. This financial education should be made mandatory for every year these players are in the school. College should prepare young men/women for life in their chosen profession.

eugene
02-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Guys, you all send young players overseas like there is a commitment from European teams to automatically sign any youngster playing basketball and willing to relocate. Firstly European teams normally demand a long term contract, otherwise there is no sense for them to experiment and invest into kids which will be gone in few years (in this case player will get back to NBA around 22 years old). Secondly the only chance to get normal playing time is to sign with second-class team in non-basketball country like (Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, etc). In this case, what's the point? You will not get any experience of high level professional competitions. Thirdly I'll repeat myself, it's completely difficult to find a team which is going to pay you money and take care about your development. Sounds like a perfect world...

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2014, 09:08 AM
To those of you saying they don't get paid....they get room, board, tuition, and maybe even books for free. Your talking $20,000+ per year to be a student and play a game you love at a time when you can truly live the college life (when I was in college we a 40 your guy living in the dorm and he was pretty much considered the creepy old go.

They get paid in a sense.

2-ONE-5
02-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I actually like 18. Teams should be able to develop their players whenever they want and 18 year olds are adults; they should be able to make a smart decision. If they can't make that decision then too bad.

you really expect and 18 year old kid to always make the right decision?

2-ONE-5
02-09-2014, 09:36 AM

the 2nd contract is more important than the first one and most of these kids never develop they way they should and are out of the league or taking 10 day contracts by the time the rookie deal ends

CELTICS4LYFE
02-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Should be 2 years of college or if you want to declare before you have to do a year in the D league.

ManningToTyree
02-09-2014, 10:26 AM
I think they should let them come straight from high school again

Goose17
02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
I like this change. Support it 100%

bholly
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
And out of those 51 players there's 7 exceptions lol. Exactly why their should be a age limit.

7 exceptions to what?

Raps18-19 Champ
02-09-2014, 11:07 AM
It should be 18.

But for the sake of the players, they are increasing it. **** what the players do. It's their fault for being stupid.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-09-2014, 11:09 AM
you really expect and 18 year old kid to always make the right decision?

No, but that doesn't mean we baby them and try to protect them from losing millions.

They are adults. If they make that mistake, it is their fault.

theducksmuggler
02-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Major League Baseball by far has the best system and the NBA needs to adopt it in my opinion...the players are able to enter the draft at age 18 or play overseas but if they do decide to go to college they must stay until their junior year of college is over or the once they turn 21...personally i think it would be perfect for the NBA

Raps18-19 Champ
02-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Major League Baseball by far has the best system and the NBA needs to adopt it in my opinion...the players are able to enter the draft at age 18 or play overseas but if they do decide to go to college they must stay until their junior year of college is over or the once they turn 21...personally i think it would be perfect for the NBA

Baseball has a minor league system. They can develop their players even if they get signed at like 15. In the NBA, once you get drafted and signed, you are playing with the big kids.

Goose17
02-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Baseball has a minor league system. They can develop their players even if they get signed at like 15. In the NBA, once you get drafted and signed, you are playing with the big kids.

Maybe that's what they should change? You can declare for the draft at any age and be drafted. But if you're under 20 you have to play for the D-league affiliate until you're old enough to be brought up to the big league.

tr3ymill3r
02-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I think an age limit is absolutely stupid. The kids in the past made their decisions to go pro and a majority of them failed. Nobody is forcing a GM to draft a high school kid, yet almost every team did just that in the 90s and early 2000s hoping to land the next Kobe or KG, when in reality they were getting Ndudi Ebi and the over hyped Sebastian Telfair.

You go to college to get a job/career. Therefore if you are qualified to do the job at 17 or 18 and someone is willing to pay you for it, then you should have the opportunity to work regardless of your age.

Let's take this next draft for instance and just use the 3 super frosh everyone is excited over, Randle, Wiggins and Parker. Let's further say that all 3 wouldn't be 20 until their JR seasons. Therefore they would each need to play 2 more years at their respective schools. This would be great for maturation, yet a torn ACL and they go from making millions to making $35,000-$70,000 a year. Terrific that they got a college degree, but much like the kid that goes to college to become a teacher the 3 super frosh are going to school to become NBA professionals.

Make GMs do their jobs, and if these kids want to throw away their future at 17 or 18 when they aren't ready then that is their choice. Let an NBA team pay them for 2-3 years and then get cut and enjoy themselves overseas.

I told Ndudi Ebi to go to Arizona for at least a year or 2 at a high school all star game in Houston, Tx, and his answer to me without hesitation or smile was, "You don't know anything, I'm going to be the next KG." Ironically enough he was drafted by the TWolves and got bounced out of the league in less than 2 years.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Maybe that's what they should change? You can declare for the draft at any age and be drafted. But if you're under 20 you have to play for the D-league affiliate until you're old enough to be brought up to the big league.

You might as well force them to stay in college and get education at that point if they can't play until they are 20 anyways.

Goose17
02-09-2014, 11:55 AM
You might as well force them to stay in college and get education at that point if they can't play until they are 20 anyways.

Lets them improve their game and will increase D- league viewers and profit etc.

Although I like the idea of guys having to finish college. Truth is not everyone is made for college.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Lets them improve their game and will increase D- league viewers and profit etc.

Although I like the idea of guys having to finish college. Truth is not everyone is made for college.

They can do that in college as well. Going to the D-League is like going to the NBA anyways. Sign a contract, get no college education, get paid and waste it, etc.

College is not for everyone so I think that they shouldn't force people to go to college. I also think that it is their loss if they waste their money because they are too stupid.

Jamiecballer
02-09-2014, 12:01 PM
i'd still prefer it was 3 years but this is a step in the right direction. if you are ready at 18 you will still be ready at 21.

positives:

- the product at the NBA level improves because kids are more mature and their fundamentals are more fully developed.

- the product at the NCAA level improves because kids don't have the same incentive to put themselves first that first year or two. i think that makes for better basketball at both levels.

albertajaysfan
02-09-2014, 12:05 PM
I honestly believe we are looking at this from the wrong angle.

I think the problem lies with the fact that once you declare for the draft you are ineligible to return to college. I think players should be able to declare, get drafted and still return to school. Contracts don't start until they leave college.

Edit: This way a player can declare go undrafted and not be totally screwed. Restrictions though should be you can only declare for the draft twice. If you go undrafted you have to wait two years to redeclare.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I honestly believe we are looking at this from the wrong angle.

I think the problem lies with the fact that once you declare for the draft you are ineligible to return to college. I think players should be able to declare, get drafted and still return to school. Contracts don't start until they leave college.

Edit: This way a player can declare go undrafted and not be totally screwed. Restrictions though should be you can only declare for the draft twice. If you go undrafted you have to wait two years to redeclare.

The NBA shouldn't be protecting it's players from their own stupidity. If they make a decision and declare, they should take the good and the bad with it and handle it professionally.

moshy2
02-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm all for this. I'm tired of having so many one and done players. Make them go to college. That way the college game is improved and hopefully these kids come into the league better prepared on and off the court. It may not work on everyone, but it will some.

albertajaysfan
02-09-2014, 12:49 PM
The NBA shouldn't be protecting it's players from their own stupidity. If they make a decision and declare, they should take the good and the bad with it and handle it professionally.

How is allowing them to return to school protecting them from their own stupidity? I don't get that at all. I feel like this scenario is in the best interest of all participants.

Seems to me that it is more likely that only the players that are truly ready will be playing without forcing them to go to school. Takes away some of the risk of getting injured in college for the players. Potentially deepens the talent pool for NCAA. Seems like a win win to me.

2-ONE-5
02-09-2014, 01:05 PM
playing in the D league would not benefit these kids. despite being called the developmental league the d league is a joke and full of me ball for dudes trying to get a roster spot. they will develop better being in college over the d league

mrblisterdundee
02-09-2014, 01:09 PM
I think it sends a good message. To a certain extent, education and growing up is more valuable than a sport. The commissioner should require American players to at least earn an associate's degree before going pro, including specific requirements to take finance and public speaking courses and others to improve how they carry themselves. It would save the NBA a lot of embarrassment.

mrblisterdundee
02-09-2014, 01:09 PM
I think it sends a good message. To a certain extent, education and growing up is more valuable than a sport. The commissioner should require American players to at least earn an associate's degree before going pro, including specific requirements to take finance and public speaking courses and others to improve how they carry themselves. It would save the NBA a lot of embarrassment. Letting them play in the D-League while doing that is another good idea.

xxplayerxx23
02-09-2014, 01:31 PM
I think the player should have the right to come right out of HS, college is not for everyone and you shouldn't be forced to go IMO.

Goose17
02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
How is allowing them to return to school protecting them from their own stupidity? I don't get that at all. I feel like this scenario is in the best interest of all participants.

I agree with this^

lol, please
02-09-2014, 03:25 PM
I like this too. College should be mandatory for all citizens, but that's another topic entirely. I can't stand ignorance, even if you don't need intelligence to be successful in your career. It's irresponsible.

king4day
02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
I like the idea football has. 3 years before you can hit the pros. Players need to learn to grow up. Smart is a perfect example. He can build his character better in school. You'd also get more school graduates.

beasted86
02-09-2014, 05:11 PM
This leaves the ever standing analogy on the table.... At 18 years old you can die for your country, but not....

Super.
02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
:clap:

Raps18-19 Champ
02-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Seems to me that it is more likely that only the players that are truly ready will be playing without forcing them to go to school. Takes away some of the risk of getting injured in college for the players. Potentially deepens the talent pool for NCAA. Seems like a win win to me.

I just see that as a safety net for those who don't make the right decisions.

NYSpirit1
02-09-2014, 07:37 PM

I'm all for 21 and over. I think players should have to spend 3 years in college, much like football.

2-ONE-5
02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
football is different. no 17-18 year old kid is physically ready for the NFL

LA_Raiders
02-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Good move: too many dumb player already