PDA

View Full Version : Deng to be traded again?

chi-townlove1
02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
NBA Trade Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers may trade Luol Deng

BY JOSH HILL - FEB 7TH

The Cleveland Cavaliers fired their general manager on Thursday and now it seems that wholesale changes are coming to the roster. Chris Grant stitched together a roster that hasn’t been performing, and that underperforming roster he put together was not only his undoing, but it could get torn apart as we approach the trade deadline.

Things are so bad in Cleveland that Alex Kennedy from Basketball Insiders reports that everyone on the roster, except for Kyrie Irving, could be traded before the deadline passes. This is up to and including the recently acquired Luol Deng, who is eligible to be traded again before February 20th.

Deng was acquired one month ago by the Cavaliers, and is reportedly unhappy in Cleveland (describing the team as a “mess” to friends). The veteran small forward can be traded again before the deadline, but he can’t be packaged with another player from the Cavaliers.
This could become an interesting situation, as Deng is rumored to be pursued by the Dallas Mavericks in the offseason, a team looking for one more key player at the deadline to make them a threat in the West.

A slew of teams could use Deng and if the Cavs are serious about blowing up the roster, Deng could be one of the first names to go.

Bring him back garpax on a sign and trade for Kirk dunleavy and taj lol

pacofunk64
02-07-2014, 02:23 PM
I feel bad that he had to get thrown to that crap team. The NBA should just secretly collapse that franchise and secretly move the players elsewhere...well maybe put Irving back in the draft, lol. I doubt anyone would really know or even care.

Kyben36
02-07-2014, 02:36 PM
would be happy for him, that franchise in in a hole real bad

Kyben36
02-07-2014, 02:37 PM
wonder what they get for him, cant imagine as much as they gave up.

Jetsguy
02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Man I just think about how sick this team could be had they even hit an half of these high lotto picks they have had for the last several years.

Stunner
02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Trade him to OKC for Perkins and their 1st round picks , NO for Gordon , Cha maybe for Gordon / MKG and their Blazers pick maybe.

UPRock
02-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Now you all know why LeBron left, if they really want to fix the team they need Gilbert to sell it.

Stunner
02-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Suns would be a good fit maybe , Meka and the Indy pick ?

smith&wesson
02-07-2014, 03:02 PM
he would be a perfect fit on the raptors. pls god

Arch Stanton
02-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Let me enter my knee jerk reaction here ____________.

Clippersfan86
02-07-2014, 03:13 PM
he would be a perfect fit on the Clippers. pls god

Fixed. No really the Clippers would be bonafide title contenders with Deng who directly addresses most weaknesses on our team. I would offer something like Dudley/Bullock/2014 pick. Bullock is a young, solid wing prospect, Dudley a good locker room vet who can influence guys positively and the pick although 22-28 will still have value in the deep 2014 draft. Also Dudley/Bullock are cheap and have just two years left.

Lakers + Giants
02-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Watch them trade Lu for Gasol now :laugh2:

mdm692
02-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Suns would be a good fit maybe , Meka and the Indy pick ?
Very intriguing. He might even resign with Phx for a reasonable price.

Dade County
02-07-2014, 03:15 PM
I can only hope that Kyrie signs the 1yr qualifying offer... and the Cav's are forced to trade him because of that. If Kyrie signs a 5yr deal with that franchise, he deserves everything he gets (I mean don't gets...lol).

blahblahyoutoo
02-07-2014, 03:17 PM
deng blows.

Clippersfan86
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Not as much as you do in your spare time though :D

Stunner
02-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Bledsoe
Dragic
Deng
Frye
Miles

That's nice come playoff time and that medical team would make Deng more of a workhorse than he already is. Much better fit than Pau and Turner IMO . Brings leadership , a very good defender , rebounder and a very good off ball player . He would pretty much flourish being the third option .

smith&wesson
02-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Fixed. No really the Clippers would be bonafide title contenders with Deng who directly addresses most weaknesses on our team. I would offer something like Dudley/Bullock/2014 pick. Bullock is a young, solid wing prospect, Dudley a good locker room vet who can influence guys positively and the pick although 22-28 will still have value in the deep 2014 draft. Also Dudley/Bullock are cheap and have just two years left.

true, the clippers do need a solid sf glue player type who can play off the ball, play d, rebound, pass etc. deng does a bit of everything thats why i love him.

but selfishly, I want him on my raps lol. we need him more than the clipps do lol. all jokes aside though, I agree he would be a great fit on a contending clippers team.

missionh1llpart
02-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Only realistic deals are Detroit for Josh Smith, Phoenix for Emeka, Charlotte for Ben Gordon or (possibly) NYK for Bargs.

Stunner
02-07-2014, 03:31 PM
You know what the Cavs might be the only team to take on Josh Smith to try and keep Kyrie . It actually might work . DeT should do it !!!!

RipCity32
02-07-2014, 03:41 PM
You know what the Cavs might be the only team to take on Josh Smith to try and keep Kyrie . It actually might work . DeT should do it !!!!

That would be amazing

shep33
02-07-2014, 03:49 PM
He would be perfect on the Grizz

xxplayerxx23
02-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Only realistic deals are Detroit for Josh Smith, Phoenix for Emeka, Charlotte for Ben Gordon or (possibly) NYK for Bargs.

:drool: on the last one

ManRam
02-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Ideally the Cavs sign Otis Smith as their new GM and they trade Deng's expiring contract to Orlando for Glen Davis and Jason Maxiell.

Stunner
02-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Ideally the Cavs sign Otis Smith as their new GM and they trade Deng's expiring contract to Orlando for Glen Davis and Jason Maxiell.

Lol Deng will be long gone before a new GM comes in . I think the new temp GM might to try and shake things up to get a job for next year

bleedprple&gold
02-07-2014, 04:05 PM
They better trade him again. Deng ain't sticking around in that shithole of a franchise and they need something to show for that 1st round pick they gave up.

JiffyMix88
02-07-2014, 04:13 PM
for Taj? Simply NO!

tr3ymill3r
02-07-2014, 04:15 PM
I do not like the way LeBron left Cleveland, I also do not like the way Gilbert treated LeBron after leaving Cleveland. I do find it quite fitting and hilarious that ESPN and those from Cleveland have been excited about the chance of LeBron coming back, and for a while it looked as if it could have been done and possible. However with the last year or so he wants no part of that city.

TorontoHuskies
02-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Trade him to the Raptors

Luol Deng + TT + Miles for Amir + Fields + Ross + Novak and NY lotto protected 1st (assuming Deng agreed to sign)

BALLER R
02-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Trade him to the Raptors

Luol Deng + TT + Miles for Amir + Fields + Ross + Novak and NY lotto protected 1st (assuming Deng agreed to sign)

No reason for Toronto to trade away Ross + Amir + NY pick in a deal like that.

mavwar53
02-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Is this really a surprise.

TorontoHuskies
02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
No reason for Toronto to trade away Ross + Amir + NY pick in a deal like that.

TT better and has more potential> Amir and Deng>Ross (more potential)...Maybe make the first rd pick a second. But that would upgrade Raptors at both SF and PF especially on Defense.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-07-2014, 04:38 PM
stupid cavs, should have taken gasol

:laugh:

sunsfan88
02-07-2014, 04:40 PM
He'd be perfect on the Suns.

detzfish
02-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Pistons, like someone else said, would really make sense. Brings them a starting sf in exchange for josh smith. They will try anything to keep Irving I'm sure.

Monroe for deng would make more sense talent wise for the cavs but Monroe isn't a big name that would entice Irving to stay at all

Stunner
02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
February 7 at 2:46pm CST By Chuck Myron
There’s little chance, if any, that Luol Deng will choose to re-sign with the Cavs in free agency this summer, sources tell Marc Stein of ESPN.com, who passes along the news in a piece on Anthony Bennett‘s development. Deng praised the Cleveland organization in January, when he said he was “more than open” to signing an extension, and he even encouraged LeBron James to sign with the club, but it appears he’s soured on the team since. Deng reportedly told a close friend of his displeasure with the Cavs, who’ve seemingly been a hub of unrest all season.

Agent Herb Rudoy held off on extension talks in the days after Deng came to the Cavs via trade last month, though there were rumors that Rudoy would seek salaries of more than $13.5MM a year for Deng. Rudoy and Deng quickly rejected a three-year, $30MM extension offer from the Bulls shortly before the trade. The soon-to-be 29-year-old Deng figures to be a sought-after commodity on the market this summer if he doesn’t sign an extension, and it seems most likely that he’ll become a free agent.

The Cavs will have his Bird Rights, meaning they can sign him to a five-year deal with slightly higher raises than the four-year contract he could get from another team. Cleveland might be reluctant to commit major money for five seasons to a player with whom the team has gone 4-10 so far, so it remains to be seen how much of a financial advantage the Cavs will possess. Just who would negotiate for the team is also a question mark, since it’s uncertain whether interim GM David Griffin will keep his job through the summer.

jerellh528
02-07-2014, 06:44 PM
And to think last season everyone, including myself, loved their young roster and thought they would be an improving, good, young team for yrs to come.

jmart0424
02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Brooke Lopez for deng nets can continue with small ball with Garnett at center and cavs get a young center for the future because unless lebron signs back in Cleveland no one else is going there as a free agent

tredigs
02-07-2014, 07:04 PM
You can trade a player who has a still active no-trade clause (pretty sure in the new CBA it's 2 months) after the trade deadline (which I think is just after the ASB)?? I did not realize that.

ATX
02-07-2014, 07:07 PM
And to think last season everyone, including myself, loved their young roster and thought they would be an improving, good, young team for yrs to come.

I think I might have had them as high the 8 seed. I certainly thought they would be improving, but well…Nope. It's headed in the opposite direction.

bholly
02-07-2014, 07:33 PM
You can trade a player who has a still active no-trade clause (pretty sure in the new CBA it's 2 months) after the trade deadline (which I think is just after the ASB)?? I did not realize that.

Where did you get that from? It isn't true.

NBA_Starter
02-07-2014, 08:16 PM
It obviously isn't working so they may as well kick the tires on moving him.

Asik's better
02-07-2014, 08:41 PM
I feel like Washington would be a good place for deng, gives wall another option and help also makes Washington a top 3 side in the east.

Chrisclover
02-07-2014, 09:44 PM
No way, Gasol is now helping us. ..
we're on a roll.

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

shep33
02-07-2014, 10:11 PM
The Wiz would be a good trade partner too. Ariza + a future pick for Deng?

AEWyatt7
02-07-2014, 10:33 PM
MEka and Pacers first for Deng. I feel good for that

Duncan = Donkey
02-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Okafor, Indy Pick for Deng. Yes Please.

black1605
02-07-2014, 11:27 PM
He would be a great fit in Charlotte if the front office is serious about making the playoffs. Not sure what Cleveland would want in return, but I doubt Charlotte would be willing to give up too much for a rental.

beasted86
02-07-2014, 11:28 PM
LeBron should definitely sign with the Cavs this summer. No question.

beasted86
02-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I like all these trade suggestions. Another draft pick is exactly what the Cavs need. That's exactly what will solve all of their problems. They've done a fantastic job in the draft the past couple years.

NBA JAM
02-07-2014, 11:56 PM
I can't imagine his trade value is very high right now considering his impending UFA status after this season and the fact that he was recently traded puts some constraints on how a future deal can be constructed before the trade deadline.

FlashBolt
02-08-2014, 01:05 AM
And people said LeBron couldn't carry this franchise to a ring. He is the closest one to do it. No other player in NBA history will ever be able to carry this franchise. They are glorified losers.

JNA17
02-08-2014, 01:07 AM

I would rather get a first rounder from them. I mean come on, it's not like the Cavs do anything with them right?

Duncan = Donkey
02-08-2014, 03:00 AM
I like all these trade suggestions. Another draft pick is exactly what the Cavs need. That's exactly what will solve all of their problems. They've done a fantastic job in the draft the past couple years.

Ummm.....what else do you expect they will get for him? No one is giving up anything of real value for him. They should be grateful to get a pick for a guy who is not going to be their next year.

P&GRealist
02-08-2014, 03:13 AM
Okafor, Indy Pick for Pau. Yes Please.

Agree! Where do I sign?

Duncan = Donkey
02-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Agree! Where do I sign?

Nice try:D

Bostonjorge
02-08-2014, 03:34 AM
Deng to the pacers for granger and mahinmi.

Bruno
02-08-2014, 04:57 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nb75r4v

Deng to Houston for Asik and Lin works financially.

it takes Houston to the next level.

Michelle Wilbon
02-08-2014, 05:12 AM
New but in trade machine:
Neal/Sanders/Larkin to Cavs, Marion to Bucks, Deng to Dallas
Marion and Deng both expire, then Cavs can start moving their draft class
Doesn't affect Cavs, gives Bucks 2 wins and Dallas -2 but they could always talk Deng into staying for cheaper, at least he's out of the storm in Cleveland

tredigs
02-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Where did you get that from? It isn't true.

Which part?

Goose17
02-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Exactly what are Cleveland looking for?

Would they trade for a big expiring and an extra first round pick?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=majhbxt

Cavs send; Deng
Cavs receive; Okafor and Indiana's 2014 first round draft pick.

Phoenix send; Okafor and Indiana's 2014 first round draft pick.
Phoenix receive; Luol Deng.

Phoenix improve their solid line up to help them succeed even more, their line up (when healthy) would be Bledsoe - Dragic - Deng - Frye - Plumlee.

Indiana trade Deng like they wanted to, they get Okafor who is a massive expiring contract plus a first round pick that, granted, won't be a lotto pick, but it's still an extra first.

Then again, Cleveland haven't exactly "made the most" of their draft picks.

Goose17
02-08-2014, 07:45 AM

Doesn't work financially.

Badluck33
02-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Cleveland can't keep any thing nice....

DitchDat
02-08-2014, 08:43 AM
For some reason, I think the Spurs might be interested. He's a prototype Popp type of guy.

effen5
02-08-2014, 10:50 AM
If the cavs get more than what the bulls got I'm going to be furious

Stunner
02-08-2014, 12:21 PM
For some reason, I think the Spurs might be interested. He's a prototype Popp type of guy.

Yea def better than them going after Turner

bholly
02-08-2014, 12:54 PM
New but in trade machine:
Neal/Sanders/Larkin to Cavs, Marion to Bucks, Deng to Dallas
Marion and Deng both expire, then Cavs can start moving their draft class
Doesn't affect Cavs, gives Bucks 2 wins and Dallas -2 but they could always talk Deng into staying for cheaper, at least he's out of the storm in Cleveland

Bucks aren't giving up Sanders for Marion - not even close.

Which part?

The main bit about being able to trade guys after the deadline. You can't trade anyone after the deadline.
I don't know what relevance 2 months has to trade clauses either, but it makes me think you're confusing a few rules where 2 months is relevant - that's why I asked where you got it from, so I could figure out what rule you (or the writer you got it from) are mixed up about.
You're correct that the deadline is just after the ASG though.

GoBullsGo
02-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I think we'll wait till the summer and see a sign-and-trade, that way Cleveland can include more players in the deal.

black1605
02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
If expiring contracts and picks are being discussed, the Bobcats could send Gordon's expiring deal, and a better pick than Phoenix could offer.

Kemba
Henderson
Deng
McBob
Big Al

Not a bad lineup.

GoBullsGo
02-08-2014, 01:01 PM
If expiring contracts and picks are being discussed, the Bobcats could send Gordon's expiring deal, and a better pick than Phoenix could offer.

Kemba
Henderson
Deng
McBob
Big Al

Not a bad lineup.

Plug Cody Zeller in there instead of McRoberts. That guy has to get playing time.

DallasTrilla23
02-08-2014, 01:03 PM

He does look like a pop type guy but they already got my man Leonard and I doubt Deng would come off the bench.

DallasTrilla23
02-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Bucks aren't giving up Sanders for Marion.

They can't get anything better than him right now.

GoBullsGo
02-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Knowing Deng's personality in following his character for so long, he will sign whoever gives him the most money. However, if it's a team like Cleveland that's offering him the most, he will probably end up taking a little less to sign with a better team like PHX or a sign-and-trade with a team like Dallas.

black1605
02-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Plug Cody Zeller in there instead of McRoberts. That guy has to get playing time.

The consensus is that Zeller needs time to get stronger. His role is suited well for him right now. Plus, the ball moves better with McRoberts on the floor. He's probably the team's best passer.

Goose17
02-08-2014, 02:54 PM

Which pick? Chicago own your 2014 first round pick. Unless you're giving them the Pistons first?

tredigs
02-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Bucks aren't giving up Sanders for Marion - not even close.

The main bit about being able to trade guys after the deadline. You can't trade anyone after the deadline.
I don't know what relevance 2 months has to trade clauses either, but it makes me think you're confusing a few rules where 2 months is relevant - that's why I asked where you got it from, so I could figure out what rule you (or the writer you got it from) are mixed up about.
You're correct that the deadline is just after the ASG though.

Well the 2 months (not sure on the exact duration) is the rule (I'm under the impression at least) which stipulates that essentially a team cannot trade a player directly after they have been traded. I've seen it mentioned many times when fans are discussing trade talks.

edit: Ahh I just looked it up. The actual rule is that if a team is over the cap when the player is received, there is a 2 month waiting period before that player can be traded alongside another player(s), but he can still be traded by himself. It's much more lenient than I thought, but I do think that situation applies to the Cavs in that they could not package Deng with any other Cav since Cleveland is currently 4 mill over the cap.

bholly
02-08-2014, 05:25 PM
^That's what I figured you must be thinking of, because that rule applies to Deng and it's where '2 months' is most prominent in the CBA (along with the time you have to wait before trading a new signing). The main thing I was getting at is that you still can't trade those guys after the trade deadline, no matter how long it's been since they were last traded.

The other thing is that the rule is even less restrictive than you think, at least in this situation. It's not that you can't trade him with other players, just that you can't aggregate his salary to complete a trade. The best way to think of it is that many trades can be reconfigured as multiple trades that happen to be going on at the same time between the same teams, so they could trade Deng with other players just as long as they can treat it as multiple trades - one with Deng and one with the others.
TorontoHuskies, for example, suggested Deng+Thompson+Miles to Toronto for Amir+Fields+Ross+Novak+pick. Even though the Cavs are sending out multiple players, it's still legal because it could be configured as Deng for Amir+Fields, and then a separate trade of Thompson+Miles for Novak+Ross. Both trades are legal. It would of course be reported as one deal, and from Toronto's point of view it actually would be one deal, but for the Cavs it's like two trades, so Deng's salary isn't being aggregated in a package.

So the main area where it would be a restriction is if they wanted to trade for a high-salary guy. They can trade Deng+Thompson for a $15m guy and a $5m guy by making it two separate trades, but they can't aggregate their salaries in one trade for a $21m guy like they usually could.
Because the Cavs are miles from the tax and Deng is between $9.8m and $19.6m, the limit on what they can take back for him is his salary plus $5m - ie $19,275,000. So the Cavs can trade Deng for anyone making that much or less, and can do any other simultaneous trades they want with other players. They just can't combine Deng with other outgoing salary to get someone with a higher salary. Given there are only 7 guys earning more than that, and I'm pretty sure Kobe, Dirk, Howard aren't getting traded, the restriction essentially just prevents them from getting Amar'e, Melo, JJ, Gasol. That's it, really.

FriedTofuz
02-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Deng for Landry Fields.

bholly
02-08-2014, 05:34 PM
^Fields' salary isn't even close to what it would have to be to trade for Deng.

FriedTofuz
02-08-2014, 05:37 PM
^Fields' salary isn't even close to what it would have to be to trade for Deng.

Toronto has Cap Space, they can use a trade exception.

bholly
02-08-2014, 05:44 PM
^They're currently almost $10m over the cap and don't have a trade exception even close to what they'd need for Deng - their biggest is $4.5m which is about $10m short.

albertajaysfan
02-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Toronto has Cap Space, they can use a trade exception.

You can't combine TPE with actual players to make trades work.

Sidenote: Can you combine TPE? Yes I know Toronto still has nowhere close to the necessary amount this is more out of curiosity.

bholly
02-08-2014, 07:40 PM
^No, you can't combine exceptions with other exceptions or with outgoing salary or with cap room. And that includes TPEs.

Cracka2HI!
02-08-2014, 08:55 PM
I feel bad that he had to get thrown to that crap team. The NBA should just secretly collapse that franchise and secretly move the players elsewhere...well maybe put Irving back in the draft, lol. I doubt anyone would really know or even care.
Sadly this is true. Cleveland has absolutely no appeal to anyone. No player or coach will ever want to be there. LeBron leaving was the nail the coffin. It's not just the Cavs either. Look at the Browns. The only reason to have teams in Cleveland is they have a reputation for having great fans. It doesn't seem to matter anymore for the Cavs and Browns. I can't see anyone wanting to play or coach there anytime soon.

Arch Stanton
02-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Sadly this is true. Cleveland has absolutely no appeal to anyone. No player or coach will ever want to be there. LeBron leaving was the nail the coffin. It's not just the Cavs either. Look at the Browns. The only reason to have teams in Cleveland is they have a reputation for having great fans. It doesn't seem to matter anymore for the Cavs and Browns. I can't see anyone wanting to play or coach there anytime soon.

NEver. NEver. NEver. Let the hyperbole flow like a river if urine.

black1605
02-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Which pick? Chicago own your 2014 first round pick. Unless you're giving them the Pistons first?

The Portland pick. I'm not saying that gets it done, but the Portland pick Charlotte owns will likely be better than the Indiana pick the Suns own.

Edit to add: Chicago doesn't necessarily get our 2014 pick.

Cracka2HI!
02-09-2014, 12:01 AM
NEver. NEver. NEver. Let the hyperbole flow like a river if urine.

I can't tell what you're saying. Are saying players/coaches do/will want to be in Cleveland? Or Cleveland is like a river of urine?

Arch Stanton
02-09-2014, 01:33 AM
I can't tell what you're saying. Are saying players/coaches do/will want to be in Cleveland? Or Cleveland is like a river of urine?

Your post certainly has some truth to it sadly but is a bit dramatic as far as defining absolutes with player movement in the NFL and NBA.

Drummond#1
02-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Send him Boozer, and Bellineli to the D for Josh Smith, Stuckey, Charlie Villanueva and picks. Stuck and CV are expiring deals. Which are very valuable. Plus Cavs get a proven forward i his prime.

bholly
02-09-2014, 10:57 AM
^who is going where in that deal? Seems like you only gave half of it.

Stunner
02-09-2014, 11:15 AM
The Portland pick. I'm not saying that gets it done, but the Portland pick Charlotte owns will likely be better than the Indiana pick the Suns own.

Edit to add: Chicago doesn't necessarily get our 2014 pick.
We will get your pick this year trust :)

JordansBulls
02-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Good. Goes to show the money he was seeking he isn't worth it. He isn't someone who can carry a team or even be a top player on those teams. No need to pay him that kind of money.

black1605
02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
We will get your pick this year trust :)

Probably. I'd rather give Chicago a 14-18 pick this year than a top 10 pick in the future. Not to mention, we could end up losing our pick to Chicago, but also end up having a better pick from Detroit anyway.

Nonetheless, I can't wait to put the Tyrus Thomas trade behind us for good.