PDA

View Full Version : Ten Year Contract: Who would you take?

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2014, 09:30 PM
If you were an expansion team and you were allowed to sign any single player in the league to a ten year contract to build your team around, who would you take?

Obvious choices are LBJ and KD, but LBJ is 29 and KD is 25. KD may still be in his prime in 10 years, but LBJ may not be (that' would put him at 39 years old in the last year of the contract).

K-Love and Steph Curry, like Durant, is 25.

Some younger guys to consider: Anthony Davis (he's only 20), Paul George (23) DMC (23) Kyrie (21) Blake Griffin (24) and John Wall (23) Andre Drummond (20) and Mike James (38 years old, but I don't see him slowing down any time soon).

So who would pick?

Hawkeye15
02-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Anthony Davis

Minimal
02-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Durant, just because he is younger than LBJ

TrueFan420
02-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Davis

JNA17
02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Davis

Anthony Davis

This. Although it would be horrible if he suffers a career ending injury(s) like Hill, Penny or soon Rose. Than that contract hurts your team for a long time.

Hawkeye15
02-05-2014, 09:42 PM
This. Although it would be horrible if he suffers a career ending injury(s) like Hill, Penny or soon Rose. Than that contract hurts your team for a long time.

well duh. But if there is anyone in the league that I would feel comfortable giving a 10 year deal to, its a 21 year old who dominates on both ends. Davis doesn't even have a refined offensive game yet, and he averages 20 a night on elite efficiency. Wtf is he going to be in 4 years?

NBA_Starter
02-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Anthony Davis

JNA17
02-05-2014, 09:49 PM
well duh. But if there is anyone in the league that I would feel comfortable giving a 10 year deal to, its a 21 year old who dominates on both ends. Davis doesn't even have a refined offensive game yet, and he averages 20 a night on elite efficiency. Wtf is he going to be in 4 years?

It's scary to even imagine.

Hawkeye15
02-05-2014, 09:56 PM
It's scary to even imagine.

obviously what you said holds weight though. Which is why I am happy with the new CBA contract lengths. Every team has had an albatross contract because some dude couldn't stay healthy.

But yeah, he is so easily the answer to this. I can see an argument for Durant, only because being 7' with 40 foot long arms and a great shooter never die, but Davis is the answer.

TrueFan420
02-05-2014, 09:57 PM

That can be said about anyone tho

mngopher35
02-05-2014, 09:59 PM
If I know my created team has talent and can be in contention within the first couple years I take Durant. If it is a situation where the team doesn't have much talent to start I go Davis.

So for an expansion team I would likely go Davis.

KnicksorBust
02-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Not gonna argue with anyone who picks Davis but give me Durant. Any other choice is... well terrible.

Kashmir13579
02-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Davis.

JNA17
02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Not gonna argue with anyone who picks Davis but give me Durant. Any other choice is... well terrible.

Damian Lillard? 0_0

bholly
02-05-2014, 10:10 PM
KD then Davis (but it's very close) then George. After that I really don't know. Maybe Drummond and Harden? There might be no other players whose upside is high enough and risk of downside low enough to lock in 10 years (I'm assuming the point is that it's a max contract). Maybe at that point I'd go with LBJ with the plan of winning in his prime and hoping he can become a full-time PF when the athleticism starts to go.

ManRam
02-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Durant is the more obvious pick. He's still just 25. You're getting a historically amazing scorer, and player, in his very young prime. You're gonna have a bonafied HOF player for essentially all that contract.

Davis is the guy I thought of too before I opened this thread. But I'm still taking KD...especially if I think I can fill the roster around him quicker, because that does matter a little.

There's definitely a gap after them. But they're the only two options IMO. PG is probably third, I guess.

Kaner
02-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Durant although the potential of Davis would be very tempting. Durant is probably going to have a very long prime of top 10 all time play.

dtmagnet
02-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Durant doesn't need to be athletic to still be good so I'd go with him.

KnicksorBust
02-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Damian Lillard? 0_0

Joke? :)

Bishnoff
02-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Paul George or Davis.

mrblisterdundee
02-05-2014, 10:56 PM
1. Andre Drummond
2. Anthony Davis
3. Kevin Durant
4. Paul George
5. John Wall or Stephen Curry

I'd take Davis because of his two-way play. Build around him with whatever else the team needs.
If you're looking past Durant's age, then Curry has to be considered too. I'd take Wall over Curry, though, again because of defense.
It's too bad Cousins is still considered a head case, or else he'd be on this list. That dude's built for dominance.

Hawkeye15
02-05-2014, 11:06 PM
1. Andre Drummond
2. Anthony Davis
3. Kevin Durant
4. Paul George
5. John Wall or Stephen Curry

I'd take Davis because of his two-way play. Build around him with whatever else the team needs.
If you're looking past Durant's age, then Curry has to be considered too. I'd take Wall over Curry, though, again because of defense.
It's too bad Cousins is still considered a head case, or else he'd be on this list. That dude's built for dominance.

how does Drummond lead your list?

tmacsc2
02-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Paul George.......Durant..... Davis.......Lillard.

Hawkeye15
02-05-2014, 11:59 PM
sweet jesus. If Davis isn't your pick, please explain why. He is 21, and already a top 10 player. With tons of room to grow. Year one, I didn't even think he defended well. Year 2, he is elite. Year 2, I don't even think he knows how to score well, yet he averages 20 a night on elite efficiency.

Davis is literally the only answer here. I know Durant is only 4 years older, but you now get him at ages 32-35, where as Davis's last year come at age 28-31.

mightybosstone
02-06-2014, 12:02 AM
I think we'll get 4-6 more years of prime Lebron before we see significant dropoff, while we'll probably get 7-9 more years of prime Durant and up to 10 years of prime Davis as long as he can stay healthy. So the question really is whether you'd rather have 4-6 years of prime Lebron, 7-9 years of prime Durant or 10 full years of Davis' prime. Other guys like Curry, Harden and Love deserve mentioning, but these guys are clearly the three at the top.

Considering age, talent, versatility and the chance that player could help you win a title, I'd rank them:
1. Durant
2. Lebron
3. Davis

Lebron's the most talented and gives you the best chance to win a title, but the smallest window to do so. Durant's a close second to Lebron, but his remaining prime is nearly twice as long as Lebron's and he may actually be the better basketball player over the nest 4-5 years. Davis could end up being the best of the three five years from now, but I don't know that for sure, and I'd much rather build around elite, versatile wing studs like Lebron and Durant if I'm building a title contender.

mightybosstone
02-06-2014, 12:07 AM
sweet jesus. If Davis isn't your pick, please explain why. He is 21, and already a top 10 player. With tons of room to grow. Year one, I didn't even think he defended well. Year 2, he is elite. Year 2, I don't even think he knows how to score well, yet he averages 20 a night on elite efficiency.

Davis is literally the only answer here. I know Durant is only 4 years older, but you now get him at ages 32-35, where as Davis's last year come at age 28-31.

Davis is also a big man, and big men are more prone to injury. He's also shown far more propensity for injury since he's been in the league than Lebron or Durant. Also, you're basing your answer off of potential. I'm basing mine on fact. I know what I've got in Lebron and Durant. I don't know what I've got yet in Davis. What if this is as good as it gets? Is 10 years of a 20/10 guy who is a top 5 defender better than a handful of seasons of two transcendent talents like Lebron and Durant? For me, it's not. For Davis to reach the level where I'd speak his name in the same breath as the other two, he'd have to be a 25/12 guy, a perennial DPOY candidate and needs a huge boost in his advanced numbers. That requires a pretty substantial leap in his game that we haven't seen yet.

Dade County
02-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Kd

Dade County
02-06-2014, 12:12 AM

KD shooting is not going to fade away with age (it's more shooting touch then him jumping)... So this means, even if KD would have a leg injury or two, it wouldn't matter, he could transition to an elite spot up shooter when he reaches the age's 33-35.

ManRam
02-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I don't think LeBron is a terrible pick. He gives you the best chance of anyone (maybe along with Durant) to win the next 3 or so years for sure. I think the assured greatness you'll get early on makes dealing with a few of his post-prime years later on OK. You get a better chance to win it all in the short-term future than you know for certain you'll ever get with anyone outside of probably KD. You'd know that you'd have a top 5-7 talent all time at least for a given period of time. You can't be certain of that with anyone else...and getting that for 3 or so years could very well be more valuable than getting a top 30 player all time for 3 times that. Because that difference might be between winning a ring or two and having 10 years of really good basketball teams but no rings.

That's the logic I have in taken KD over Davis. The gap between the two is very significant right now. I think AD will be a star, and he's already very, very good...but we know KD is an all-time great talent. We know you can win with him as the focal point. There's NO doubt at all. There's still a little about Davis, and not enough to worry about the last 2-3 years of this 10 year contract. Especially because his skillset should be relatively impervious to age. I'll take the assured greatness now over the potential for a few better years 8 years from now. Who's to say the gap now between KD and AD isn't bigger than the opposite gap with be 8-10 from now. Gimme the assuredness NOW over maybe that later

mightybosstone
02-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I don't think LeBron is a terrible pick. He gives you the best chance of anyone (maybe along with Durant) to win the next 3 or so years for sure. I think the assured greatness you'll get early on makes dealing with a few of his post-prime years later on OK. You get a better chance to win it all in the short-term future than you know for certain you'll ever get with anyone outside of probably KD. You'd know that you'd have a top 5-7 talent all time at least for a given period of time. You can't be certain of that with anyone else...and getting that for 3 or so years could very well be more valuable than getting a top 30 player all time for 3 times that. Because that difference might be between winning a ring or two and having 10 years of really good basketball teams but no rings.

That's the logic I have in taken KD over Davis. The gap between the two is very significant right now. I think AD will be a star, and he's already very, very good...but we know KD is an all-time great talent. We know you can win with him as the focal point. There's NO doubt at all. There's still a little about Davis, and not enough to worry about the last 2-3 years of this 10 year contract. Especially because his skillset should be relatively impervious to age. I'll take the assured greatness now over the potential for a few better years 8 years from now. Who's to say the gap now between KD and AD isn't bigger than the opposite gap with be 8-10 from now. Gimme the assuredness NOW over maybe that later

Exactly. And I pretty much am using the same reasoning for Lebron over Davis as you're using for Durant over Davis. The gap between the two players is so significant right now that I'd rather have five years of the player Lebron is today than 10 years of the player Davis is. To put it into some historical perspective, Lebron's peak/prime is second to only Michael Jordan, whereas you'd put Davis right now somewhere between guys like Alonzo Mourning and Patrick Ewing. So, would I rather have five years of Michael Jordan or 10 years of a slightly better Zo? I'm taking the five years of Jordan and not thinking twice about it.

Mell413
02-06-2014, 12:22 AM
I'd go LeBron. He gives you the shortest path to a title. I'm not implying he will be the best player in the game at 39, but I don't think he will be useless either.I think LeBron has at least 5 years of prime basketball left. You might pay for it on the back end of the deal, but I'd be willing to take that risk. If basketball was a sport where it's more of a crapshoot my answer would probably be different.

JLynn943
02-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Durant or Davis have to be number one. I wouldn't want someone who relies heavily on athleticism as one knee injury happens and they are nowhere near as good.

After them, I'd say LeBron is still a good choice. He's still going to be an intelligent player who can score, pass, and rebound even if he doesn't do it at the same level later on. I think Cousins is a good pick, too, and maybe I'd have him 3rd. His game should still be fine in ten years, and he has the potential to become even better than he is.

edit: Forgot about Love. He's a great choice, too.

Aust
02-06-2014, 12:45 AM
If you were an expansion team and you were allowed to sign any single player in the league to a ten year contract to build your team around, who would you take?

Obvious choices are LBJ and KD, but LBJ is 29 and KD is 25. KD may still be in his prime in 10 years, but LBJ may not be (that' would put him at 39 years old in the last year of the contract).

May not be??? He won't even be close at that age.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Davis is also a big man, and big men are more prone to injury. He's also shown far more propensity for injury since he's been in the league than Lebron or Durant. Also, you're basing your answer off of potential. I'm basing mine on fact. I know what I've got in Lebron and Durant. I don't know what I've got yet in Davis. What if this is as good as it gets? Is 10 years of a 20/10 guy who is a top 5 defender better than a handful of seasons of two transcendent talents like Lebron and Durant? For me, it's not. For Davis to reach the level where I'd speak his name in the same breath as the other two, he'd have to be a 25/12 guy, a perennial DPOY candidate and needs a huge boost in his advanced numbers. That requires a pretty substantial leap in his game that we haven't seen yet.

even if Davis doesn't improve at all, he is a top 10 player.

Look, this is a 10 year contract. 10 years. That is longer than a prime NBA career. Davis is the only answer.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2014, 01:25 AM
LeBron getting a 10 year deal is the A-Rod of the NBA. I love me some LeBron, but do people really think from age 34-39, he will even sniff what Anthony Davis does at ages 26-31, or even Kevin Durant is doing at ages 30-35?

todu82
02-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Kevin Durant.

FlashBolt
02-06-2014, 01:27 AM
KD for me. I don't think Davis will ever be as dominant as KD has been.

SPURSFAN1
02-06-2014, 01:44 AM
Tim Duncan.

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2014, 01:55 AM
how does Drummond lead your list?

It's close with Davis, but I think Drummond, also 20, has just as much potential. I'd be happy with either, though.
Drummond's lesser production is partially a product of Detroit's glut of big men and a lack of a decent point guard. If you look at production per minute, he's closer to Davis than you think. Drummond's played 15 percent fewer minutes than Davis, and he's used 6 percent less in his team's offensive schemes.
If you put Davis in Drummond's position in Detroit say, make him a power forward and Monroe the center his production would take a significant dip.
Meanwhile, Drummond makes a higher percentage of his shots, and he grabs a higher percentage of rebounds around him, both offensive and defensive. Davis gets a lot of blocks, and he passes better, but I think Drummond will ultimately be seen as the better defensive player, hopefully Ben Wallace with some offense.

mightybosstone
02-06-2014, 02:33 AM

Look, this is a 10 year contract. 10 years. That is longer than a prime NBA career. Davis is the only answer.
Mmmm.... I think you're being a tad close minded on this. First off, I think Davis as a top 10 guy right now is debatable. What's not debatable is that Lebron and Durant are unquestionably the two best players in the world right now. Put it into perspective for a second. Melo has arguably been a top 10 guy for the past few years. Would you rather have 10 years of prime Melo, or 5-7 years of prime Lebron or Durant? The latter, right?

So why are things so different with Davis? You're giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his potential. But the truth of the matter is that he's missed a lot of games for someone of his age already and he's got a long way to go as a go-to offensive player before he belongs in this kind of a conversation. Is he a bad answer to this question? Certainly not. But I also think it's pretty close-minded to say he's the only answer. He's played barely a season and a half of basketball, he has far more value defensively than he has offensively at this point, and his New Orleans teams haven't come remotely close to making the playoffs.

LeBron getting a 10 year deal is the A-Rod of the NBA. I love me some LeBron, but do people really think from age 34-39, he will even sniff what Anthony Davis does at ages 26-31, or even Kevin Durant is doing at ages 30-35?
Now this is a TOTAL overstatement. A-Rod signed that awful contract with New York when he was already in his early 30s, and he wasn't nearly the player in his respective sport that Lebron is in his. So let's not compare the two.

As far as what Lebron can offer at age 34, why couldn't he be every bit as good as Davis five years from now? Look at where they are today. Davis is not remotely the player that Lebron is, while Lebron is every bit the player he was five years ago and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Consider that Kobe Bryant just came off of one of the best seasons of his career at 34, and he was never as good at his peak as Lebron was/is. And Lebron has every bit the track record of health that Kobe had during his freakish run of longevity.

I'm not saying that Lebron will necessarily be as good five years from now as he is today, but I also don't think it's fair to assume he'll be far worse. And even if he IS a far worse player, we're talking about arguably the second greatest player in the history of the NBA. An 80% Lebron would be better than every other player in the league with the exception of 3-5 guys. Davis isn't one of them right now. He's proven nothing. And if you put a gun to my head and asked me right now if I'd rather have a 34-year-old Lebron James or a 25-year-old Anthony Davis to build a contender around, I'd pick the aging Lebron and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2014, 03:05 AM
Now this is a TOTAL overstatement. A-Rod signed that awful contract with New York when he was already in his early 30s, and he wasn't nearly the player in his respective sport that Lebron is in his. So let's not compare the two.
As far as what Lebron can offer at age 34, why couldn't he be every bit as good as Davis five years from now? Look at where they are today. Davis is not remotely the player that Lebron is, while Lebron is every bit the player he was five years ago and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

A good reference point is Michael Jordan, rather than Kobe Bryant. We saw Jordan come back as a small forward at 38 and 39, still averaging about 20 points, six assists and five rebounds per game. And he still averaged 35 to 37 points per game, playing 60 games one season and 82 the next, although his teams never made the playoffs.
Who's to say LeBron doesn't have that longevity, although by his upper 30s, you'll need a better player on the team to contend.

jerellh528
02-06-2014, 03:22 AM
Kd
Davis
Take my chances on Embiid or wiggins
Pg
Love
Griffen
Wall

Kd in 10 yrs is 35. Kd still hasn't even hit his peak yet and would give a solid 7-10 yrs of top 3 player seasons. His game is built to last.

Heediot
02-06-2014, 04:23 AM
What perks do you, JB and all of the people who create new and regurgitate-recreate same threads get for keeping the forum active?

Back to the thread. Anthony Davis is the number one choice. Durant second I think his game can age well.

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2014, 03:39 PM
May not be??? He won't even be close at that age.

Kareem was still posting 17 points on .560 shooting at 39 and was 7 boards per36 minutes.

Wilt led the league in rebounding at 36, and likely would have done the same at 39 if he played that long.

Jordan was posting 20/6/4 at 39.

Stockton was still leading the league in assist per36 at 40 and was in the top ten for assists then, while still posting slid percentages and grabbing 1.7 steals a game.

Karl Malone was pretty much 20/7/4 at 39 years of age and was close to averaging a double-double at 40.

Now... I realize that LBJ will likely not be playing at an MVP level at 39, but I'd like to think that if any player in the league today were capable of posting All-Star numbers at 39, it would be LBJ. It is extremely unlikely, but who knows, this guy may just transcend how players have traditionally aged. Wilt still played at a GOAT level at 36, and so did Jordan. Had either of them continued to play straight through to 40, I think we would have seen some impressive numbers.

mdm692
02-06-2014, 03:54 PM
1. KD
2. AD
3a. PG
3b. Blake

nickdymez
02-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Davis, George, Durant

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
KD, I feel like Blake is highly underrated.

Bruno
02-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Davis, but KD can shoot and isn't beating up his knees by carrying a lot of weight on his frame. I think KD can still be a top seven player in the NBA at 35, if he's fortunate enough to avoid serious injury along the way.

but davis at his age is the safe bet.

...if it were a seven year or eight year contract I think the choice would be Durant hands down.

DreamShaker
02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Durant. 2nd best player in the NBA at 25 years old. I think of guys like Dirk at 35, and he is still great.

archdevil84
02-06-2014, 04:48 PM
mike james

Max.This
02-06-2014, 04:50 PM
i personally like Curry. He doesnt even jump much to get his shot off. Whether he's 25 or 35, he'll still be able to shoot. This is all rubbish if you're talking about injury because curry has glass ankles. Barring injury, I'd pick curry.

Buckwheat
02-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Well that's simply not true.

Quit being closed-minded.

nickdymez
02-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Whoever puts Lebron on their list 1st or second is the ultimate delusional homer

xxplayerxx23
02-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Durant Lebron is too old for a 10 year deal

Aust
02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Kareem was still posting 17 points on .560 shooting at 39 and was 7 boards per36 minutes.

Wilt led the league in rebounding at 36, and likely would have done the same at 39 if he played that long.

Jordan was posting 20/6/4 at 39.

Stockton was still leading the league in assist per36 at 40 and was in the top ten for assists then, while still posting slid percentages and grabbing 1.7 steals a game.

Karl Malone was pretty much 20/7/4 at 39 years of age and was close to averaging a double-double at 40.

Now... I realize that LBJ will likely not be playing at an MVP level at 39, but I'd like to think that if any player in the league today were capable of posting All-Star numbers at 39, it would be LBJ. It is extremely unlikely, but who knows, this guy may just transcend how players have traditionally aged. Wilt still played at a GOAT level at 36, and so did Jordan. Had either of them continued to play straight through to 40, I think we would have seen some impressive numbers.

But we're talking prime here. He could still put up nice numbers, but at that age and with the miles on that body, not to mention the loss of athleticism which is important for him.. One thing he has going for him is sports medicine technology advancing allowing players to play longer at a higher level.

IKnowHoops
02-06-2014, 05:42 PM
KD
Blake
Davis

True Sports Fan
02-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Cousins.

Mell413
02-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Whoever puts Lebron on their list 1st or second is the ultimate delusional homer

I'm a bulls fan so I don't think I fit that description.