PDA

View Full Version : In the FIBA flops coutn as a tech: Should the NBA do the same?

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flop_%28basketball%29

The FIBA wants to get rid of flopping as bad as the NBA and fans in general. They have implemented a rule where being called for a flop counts as a technical, two of which get you ejected from the game.

Obviously the NBA would have to allow instant reply on flopping calls, but do you think the league should look into this?

Though I'm not sure this would dissuade the bench players from doing this, starters across the league would have to reign it in or risk being ejected. I think most player are egotistical enough to believe that their time on the court helps their team more than a foul earned from a flop would, and so wouldn't risk being ejected from the game.

What are your thoughts? And please let's not finger point about any players who you think do flopping, this isn't about the players, it is about eliminating flopping.

Sly Guy
02-04-2014, 11:11 AM
yeah, cuz on the second one you get tossed. I'd love to see this.

2-ONE-5
02-04-2014, 11:13 AM
this is a great idea! maybe tweak it and give one warning then a tech

ManningToTyree
02-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Yes that might actually deter the floppers unlike these modest fines

mngopher35
02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
yes, it would be hard to judge though on the spot though. I don't want to have to have them go review every single time. I have no problem with them finding a better punishment like this though.

Edit: Thinking about it maybe it would still work with replays. If the punishment is enough it should stop altogether right? I just don't want 2+ extra reviews every game basically.

MrfadeawayJB
02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Love it. Flopping is a form of cheating and a tech should be warranted

LongIslandIcedZ
02-04-2014, 01:05 PM
I like the idea of it. Maybe have the refs review it at the end of the quarter. If it was a flop the player is accessed a technical and the other team gets their free throw.

I like the idea, fines clearly aren't doing their jobs.

2-ONE-5
02-04-2014, 01:30 PM
I like the idea of it. Maybe have the refs review it at the end of the quarter. If it was a flop the player is accessed a technical and the other team gets their free throw.

good idea. could even have someone from the league watching and notify them of a flop like how NFL refs get the buzz to review a play from teh booth

Stinkyoutsider
02-04-2014, 01:32 PM
That's a great idea. I would have thought that players would be interested in not being fined for flopping but I think it's time to take a stronger stance to make sure flopping is eliminated as soon as possible.

It not techs, then retroactive suspensions for repeat offenders. Nothing will hurt a player more than not being able to be on the floor helping his team win games.

Sactown
02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm not a big fan, the star players would continue to get a pass and it would only help the super teams.. regular guys would be the only ones being tossed for flopping

THE MTL
02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
I agree 100%. They need to be called during the game too....2 shots and the ball

giventofly
02-04-2014, 01:52 PM
yes, it would be hard to judge though on the spot though. I don't want to have to have them go review every single time. I have no problem with them finding a better punishment like this though.

Edit: Thinking about it maybe it would still work with replays. If the punishment is enough it should stop altogether right? I just don't want 2+ extra reviews every game basically.Why? Who cares? A review takes 2 minutes to settle. You really cant spare 5 extra minutes of your time for a huge improvement to the game?

Chronz
02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Yes, but they would have to hire a camera guy so that we dont see players stand around forever waiting for the judgement call to be made. When would they know to review the flop tho? Some players are really good at convincing the ref, what may end up happening is you have refs second guess themselves and decide to review charges/hits that were taken legitimately, thus wasting time.

Chronz
02-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Why? Who cares? A review takes 2 minutes to settle. You really cant spare 5 extra minutes of your time for a huge improvement to the game?

What makes you think its going to be only 5 extra minutes? Or that its a HUGE improvement? In a perfect world there would be no bad calls, but thats the way the game has always been, I like to think it evens out enough for it not to be the difference maker so its not much of an improvement.

Maybe if we limit this to the final 5 minutes of play and final 2 minute of ever other quarter would be a good compromise. That way, winning time is called correctly and we dont have to suffer 40 minutes of extra stoppage.

Chronz
02-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Just wondering, is anything less than complete removal of flopping not doing the job for you?

nycericanguy
02-04-2014, 06:20 PM
reviewing during games would be tough... but i think on the 3rd warning a player gets it should be a 1 game suspension for each flop going forward.

ghettosean
02-04-2014, 06:48 PM
This is a 100% yes and basically there should be a rule like in the playoffs if you get 4 flops called on you then you get suspended for a game (this means even if they find you flopped a day later after reviewing tape).

They need to tighten up on this because it's cheating and just ruining the integrity of the game.

mngopher35
02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Why? Who cares? A review takes 2 minutes to settle. You really cant spare 5 extra minutes of your time for a huge improvement to the game?

Will it really though or will they continue to hand them out as they have been (when they have hours to review the tape after games). Right now the process fines everyone it deems to be flopping and fines aren't coming out that often really, especially for star players. Not sure where the huge improvement is here if we add delays.

Also who said there will only be two occurrences and a total of 5 minutes? I said I didn't want a review for every close call leading to 2+ reviews each game (so more than 2 being very possible) . Sure most games might not have many (or any) issues but some could be affected. Yes I can spare 5 more minutes each game but we already have casual fans and even announcers etc. complaining that there is too much dead time and delay as it is. How do they decide how close a play is to have to review it? Are we talking only blatently obvious ones or all that could be considered flops?

I am all for working on this issue and even trying out a system where they review in game. I think that with the current review system it would be pretty bad and add more dead time. I like the idea of having a seperate office who does the reviews if possible (all reviews not just these). I also would be fine with them looking it over during breaks and giving the tech to start quarterss as someone mentioned.

Chronz
02-04-2014, 08:24 PM
U guys do know that internation leagues still deal with flopping, right?

Raps08-09 Champ
02-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Nope.

If flops were easy to spot, then sure we should have techs. But flops aren't always easy to spot in the middle of the game.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Just wondering, is anything less than complete removal of flopping not doing the job for you?

I dont like that aspect of the game. Complete removal would obviously be nice, but I'm going to try to stay realistic. I think technicals would stop more athletes from flopping than fines do.

lol, please
02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
I love the idea. Then again, how would Lebron and Blake Griffin be productive? :confused:

Chronz
02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
I love the idea. Then again, how would Lebron and Blake Griffin be productive? :confused:

lol, please

ghettosean
02-04-2014, 09:18 PM

lol, please

Lol

imagesrdecievin
02-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Until the league shows they are actually willing to enforce the current rules -does it really matter that they institute something new?

There is still massive amounts of flopping going on by superstars that is largely ignored.

Start enforcing what's on the books and then we'll go from there.

NBA_Starter
02-04-2014, 11:12 PM
I agree with it but there would be a lot of ejections.

hornetsfansydne
02-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Ok so the way it works in FIBA is the player who 'flopped' will get a warning from the officials on the first instance. Same as happens with all techs that aren't just plain obvious. On the next case a technical foul is called. However FIBA does not have a 2 techs and ejection rule (this is coming in the rule update in October).

I don't see it working in the NBA as it doesn't work that well in international games. The best thing to do is leave it out of the referee's hands and review after the game. The last thing the officials need is another thing to be looking for

koreancabbage
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
yes, and get rid of goaltending once it hits the net.

Bruno
02-05-2014, 03:50 PM
yes. get rid of flopping, remove it from the game. there's no place for it.

Cal827
02-05-2014, 04:12 PM
lol, please

Blake Griffin and Chris Paul are bigger floppers than the Adventures of Pluto Nash :D

Cal827
02-05-2014, 04:14 PM
It's a start, but soon enough in a big game a ref is going to call a flop when they shouldn't, and the player is going to get so mad that he's going to rage right into his second technical on the same play and be ejected.

I like the warning, then technical approach, but maybe the warning should just be a regluar foul for flopping.

Kevj77
02-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Techs for flops sounds good. It'd have to be reviewed by the league office I wouldn't want a bunch of replays slowing down the game. The real threat of losing game checks might stop flopping.

MTar786
02-05-2014, 07:13 PM
i think it should be a tech.. but not give the other team a free-throw.. id just like it for the purpose of getting flopping out of basketball

NBA_Starter
02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm fine with giving them two free-throws, let's clean the game up.