PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Marion thinks there should be no salary cap, higher age limit

NYKnickFanatic
02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
I agree with him about the salary cap.

Marion also opined that while NBA teams should continued to be required spend a minimum amount annually on player salaries, the league should do away with its salary cap.

“I could see no cap and everybody doing what you want to do,” he said. “Baseball does it. If you want to go out and spend $200 million on your team (payroll), go ahead and do it.

“It can’t guarantee that you’re going to win, but why not? If you’ve got the money to do it, why not?

“There shouldn’t be a cutoff on what people want to spend for their teams, but there should be a minimum that have to spend, so you definitely put a good product on the floor.”

“I think the age requirement for coming into the league should be higher,” he said.

Since the 2006 draft, the minimum requirements have been that players must have turned 19 during the calendar year of the draft and have been out of high school for one year.

Silver’s predecessor, David Stern, has long been a proponent of adding a year to those requirements.

“It should be at least two years (out of high school),” Marion said. “Two to three years, minimum.”

NYKnickFanatic
02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/mavs-marion-thinks-there-should-be-no-salary-cap-higher-age-limit-288345.html

Duncan = Donkey
02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
No salary cap would be dangerous and boring. The Richest teams in the league would just sign the best players in the league

NBA_Starter
02-03-2014, 09:14 PM
I guess he is a fan of college basketball.

Jamiecballer
02-03-2014, 09:16 PM
the cap is crap. don't like it. the age limit thing i would love. both products have suffered in my opinion by the one and dones.

jerellh528
02-03-2014, 09:19 PM
I don't think they should do away with the cap, but maybe one year every 5 years or so have a cap free year or something like that.

RipCity32
02-03-2014, 09:26 PM
The no Cap thing would make the league incredibly boring. It would literally be the same couple of teams winning every year.

PraiseJesus
02-03-2014, 09:29 PM
duh

flea
02-03-2014, 09:36 PM
If you enhanced the rights of the teams that drafted the NBA, somewhat similar to how teams control MLB players for 6 years, and extended them then I think it would be fine. Stars that really want to play together already do, but I don't think that's the norm. Most stars identify with their franchise and actually want to compete, but there would probably be a lot of ring chasers in the back end of their careers really benefiting from this.

If you're a player, though, you're obviously going to feel this way because it's in your own best interest.

JNA17
02-03-2014, 09:42 PM
lol at the no salary cap rule. Even as a Lakers fan it would be so stupid to put in place.

Lakers would be able to sign Lebron, Melo, Bledsoe, and Monroe this off-season if that were the case. :laugh:

PraiseJesus
02-03-2014, 09:53 PM
lol at the no salary cap rule. Even as a Lakers fan it would be so stupid to put in place.

Lakers would be able to sign Lebron, Melo, Bledsoe, and Monroe this off-season if that were the case. :laugh:

If you look at the MLB there are still luxury tax penalties.

It also would increase the length of contracts so you would see someone like lebron or KD get 10 year contracts. Sign a few of those and the franchise is handcuffed for a decade. That would leave a lot of good players to be signed bu other teams.

Bottomline is that the NBA rules are set up for the sole purpose of making the most money for small market teams and minimizing player salaries and terms.

I think the next CBA fight could get really ugly. Probably will miss an entire year of NBA

Shammyguy3
02-03-2014, 10:15 PM
No cap would be awful, i hate that there's no cap in baseball. It would be best if there was a hard-cap with a minimum amount you can spend (something like 45min and 90max)

jsthornton7
02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
No salary cap would be dangerous and boring. The Richest teams in the league would just sign the best players in the league

Look at the league's dichotomy now, seems like your either tanking or competing for a championship.

As it is now, smaller teams such as OKC have to trade a James Harden because they can't afford to pay him due to luxury tax. Average players have to take vet minimum deals because teams can't afford to overpay.

Cal827
02-03-2014, 10:31 PM
With the Luxury Tax Rules in place as they are now, then that might be a decent idea.

Then they get rid of the Max contract, then see players get like 30mil +

Pretty much every year would be the

Lakers

Irving
Kobe
Lebron
Love
Perkins (Not cause of value, but the Lakers would need one player to complain about performance)

Knicks:

Paul
Wade
Carmelo
Lemarcus Aldridge
Drummond

JWorthy42
02-03-2014, 10:44 PM
With the Luxury Tax Rules in place as they are now, then that might be a decent idea.

Then they get rid of the Max contract, then see players get like 30mil +

Pretty much every year would be the

Lakers

Irving
Kobe
Lebron
Love
Perkins (Not cause of value, but the Lakers would need one player to complain about performance)

Knicks:

Paul
Wade
Carmelo
Lemarcus Aldridge
Drummond

:laugh2:

I'll give you that one.

JNA17
02-03-2014, 11:21 PM
If you look at the MLB there are still luxury tax penalties.

If you look at the Yankees, they don't give two ***** about the luxury tax. Just like the Lakers and Knicks would not give a **** about the luxury tax.

Come on let's be serious here.

FlashBolt
02-03-2014, 11:25 PM
He's kind of right. Yankees may have won the most World Series but that's not a guaranteed championship. I feel bad for small market teams, though.

PraiseJesus
02-03-2014, 11:25 PM
If you look at the Yankees, they don't give two ***** about the luxury tax. Just like the Lakers and Knicks would not give a **** about the luxury tax.

So thats why the red sox and NYY are trying to get under the luxury tax right now?

If you want to be tell people to be serious you should know what you are talking about first

PraiseJesus
02-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Look at the league's dichotomy now, seems like your either tanking or competing for a championship.

As it is now, smaller teams such as OKC have to trade a James Harden because they can't afford to pay him due to luxury tax. Average players have to take vet minimum deals because teams can't afford to overpay.

Exactly

Its all disguised as an effort to equalize the playing field but all it really does is minimize players salaries and freedom to pick their team

JNA17
02-03-2014, 11:31 PM
So thats why the red sox and NYY are trying to get under the luxury tax right now?

What are you talking about?

PraiseJesus
02-03-2014, 11:33 PM

kobebabe
02-03-2014, 11:35 PM
No Cap would be damn and boring. We would basically have Lakers, Knicks finals year in year out

JNA17
02-03-2014, 11:37 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tXeNT6Jl9Wg/TxQYy0fMDII/AAAAAAAAAFc/lsqe8KWNR7s/s1600/90ad9322_wtf-are-you-talking-about.jpg

JNA17
02-03-2014, 11:37 PM
No Cap would be damn and boring. We would basically have Lakers, Knicks finals year in year out

Pretty much.

KniCks4LiFe
02-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Shawn Marion and thinking are two concepts that don't go together.

Max.This
02-03-2014, 11:51 PM

so why do they both suck. All the money, but no brain

JNA17
02-04-2014, 12:08 AM
so why do they both suck. All the money, but no brain

Yeah the Lakers being the most successful franchise and in the NBA as well as tanking for a pick, and Yankees having 27 champions is all no brain. And now the Yankees with the money they have used in their off-season look like title contenders again.

Teams like the Cavs have no brain, Pistons have no brain, or in Baseball the Cubs and Blue Jays.

Chrisclover
02-04-2014, 12:18 AM
As for the age limitation, he was probably referring to Bynum ,who is criticized for being too young and too simple.while it makes some sort of sense, there are some players who enter the league with good character and maturity. Kobe, lebron are great examples.I have not done a deep research about the correlation between young age and immaturity,but i say it is worthy to enforce the limitation for the sake of the players themselves. Though i doubt the next superstars will be able to challenge the GOAT throne. Well, they have 2 less years to play, which maybe too costly

TheMightyHumph
02-04-2014, 12:19 AM
I agree with him about the salary cap.

Many people think many things

cheetos185
02-04-2014, 12:28 AM
The talent level in baseball is much greater than basketball and player's have longer career. It would suck if someone ended up with 150 mil contract and than stopped performing like Andrew Bynum.

JNA17
02-04-2014, 12:33 AM
The talent level in baseball is much greater than basketball and player's have longer career. It would suck if someone ended up with 150 mil contract and than stopped performing like Andrew Bynum.

It's not just that. Baseball and Basketball are way too different to even consider having similar rules.

Each team in Baseball have 9 batters in the lineup, 5 starting pitchers, a handful of relief pitchers and pitch hitters, and then the closer. Like Football, Just having ONE great player doesn't mean your team will be great too.

In Basketball, having one GREAT player can make your team become instant playoff contenders, even if the rest of your players are trash. There's a starting lineup of 5 of each team and can only have up to 7 backups. 3 of which, usually are the only ones that play a lot. Very rarely do teams use any more than 4 of their 7 backups.

DreamShaker
02-04-2014, 05:55 AM
It is sorta sad to see half the NBA teams alter the entire season to shed salary. I don't know how you fix that, though. Then you would have way more teams like the Heat, and the balance would be even worse.

Heediot
02-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Basketball is too superstar oriented for a no cap structure. In baseball it is very hard to buy a championship it is a lot easier in basketball if there are no restrictions. Take away Kershaw, Verlander or Trout from their teams and it's not impossible for their respective teams to win a championship. Take Away James, Durant and Matt Bonner and it`s impossible fir their respective teams to win a championship.

True Sports Fan
02-04-2014, 11:18 AM
All the big market teams would dominate. (It's already like that for the most part... But it'd get pretty bad)

John Walls Era
02-04-2014, 11:24 AM
The big market teams already dominate. I think both ideas are bad but with no cap, huge upsets would be exciting.

koreancabbage
02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
no cap would ruin this league. small market teams would never be able to compete then. they already have a hard time convincing players to play in small markets for a prolonged period of time, let alone no cap and the teams with the most money able to sign the best players, offset with the huge marketing campaigns and tv deals following with a starting 5 of all stars.

but if they do, you have to put caps on players salaries instead of team caps. i.e. franchise player gets the most amount of money. "role players" to the franchise players get less than the franchise player. just an idea.

cdnsportsfan
02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Oh, the things MLSE could do with the Raptors if there was no limit on spending...not that I want it to go that route at all, to me that's the worst part about baseball and I don't want to see the buying championships come to basketball. The salary cap system may not be perfect but it helps create more parity within the league and I wouldn't want to see it go away.

John Walls Era
02-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Oh, the things MLSE could do with the Raptors if there was no limit on spending...not that I want it to go that route at all, to me that's the worst part about baseball and I don't want to see the buying championships come to basketball. The salary cap system may not be perfect but it helps create more parity within the league and I wouldn't want to see it go away.

what the Jays did, didn't work. Thats the difference between MLB and NBA. Theres way more talent and players in the MLB. Team chemistry and attrition is way more important in MLB, so even huge spending teams don't always win.

rockets-fan
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't think it would ruin the NBA, people seem to think that big market teams would be able to sign all the superstars. And it's true they would be, but would more than 3 star players want to play together? Even with big 3s now, wade James bosh, the third best players gets discredited and in the eyes of most fans, aren't superstars anymore.

My point is, there isn't enough basketball playing time in order for 4 or 5 star players to put up those elite stats that will put them in the history books, which players do care about. That's just my opinion obviously but I think players would also want to be regarded as one of the greats and if they all team up on to two or three teams, that legacy would be ruined.

I could see more big 3s in places like LA,NY,Chic, ect, but no more than three players teaming up, just wouldn't make sense imo

Think of a team of

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Aldridge
Howard

Or

Paul
Kobe
James
Love
Hibbert

Yea those are basically unstoppable teams, but who is the role player? Stats will be badly hurt and let's be real, players care about their stats

mdm692
02-04-2014, 01:07 PM
No cap would be awful, i hate that there's no cap in baseball. It would be best if there was a hard-cap with a minimum amount you can spend (something like 45min and 90max)

This is probably the best solution for all teams.

mdm692
02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
I think a franchise tag should be introduced to the NBA as well.

ManRam
02-04-2014, 01:12 PM
basketball is different than baseball. the impact that happens when you sign one great player is FAR huger than it is in baseball. rosters are smaller and thus less players are required to contribute to that team's success. you put lebron on any team and they're an instant playoff team and one move away from contending. put mike trout on any team and, well, there's still a boatload of work to be done. removing the salary would lead to FAR less parity than baseball sees, to the point at which i can't imagine it not being a huge detriment. just because the mlb has some semblance of parity despite huge discrepancies in spending doesn't mean the nba would. i think it's a terrible idea to remove the cap.

regardless how good some of the smaller and less attractive teams run their organizations, it really wouldn't matter. the stars would never go there, and this is a star-driven league.

ManRam
02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
I think a franchise tag should be introduced to the NBA as well.

teams basically have control of their rookies for much longer than nfl teams do. with restricted free agency you get that first round pick for 4 years on his rookie contract (including the 4th year option) and then the right to match any offer sheet (a minimum of two years) in restricted free agency. even as a fan of a smaller market team that lost its star to bigger and brighter lights, i think teams control their players for long enough. these top picks are essentially under their team's control for the first 7 years of their careers. that's a lot of time.

i think that would be a very contentious fight in cba negotiations. players aren't gonna be for it, and i'm sure there are enough teams that wouldn't be all in on the idea either to make it highly unprobable.

xxplayerxx23
02-04-2014, 01:22 PM

If you want to be tell people to be serious you should know what you are talking about first

Neither teams are.

THE MTL
02-04-2014, 01:27 PM
There should be a cap but it needs to be raised. That lockout was BS!... so much that contracts got worse.

xnick5757
02-04-2014, 01:36 PM
The NBA's soft cap is bizarre, and ends up punishing teams like OKC that have to trade away players like Harden because of money reasons.

THE MTL
02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
The NBA's soft cap is bizarre, and ends up punishing teams like OKC that have to trade away players like Harden because of money reasons.

It's the lockout which screwed over small teams in the end. After they complained so much. It's only big markets which can take a great luxury tax penalty

EastCoastRaptor
02-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Comparing a salary cap in baseball to a salary cap in basketball is kind of silly. If a crap baseball team signs 3 big names in a offseason they may not get instant result (ex. last years Bluejays). Whereas if a basketball team signs 3 big names, barring chemistry issues, the team will improve drastically.

It boils down to a superstar is move valuable in basketball than baseball. If basketball got rid of the cap it would be horrible for the game. Since only 5 players play at a time and only a handful of players log big minutes per team, out of all professional sports basketball needs a cap the most.

If anything basketball should implement a hard cap.

NYKnickFanatic
02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
You guys say it would be bad for small market teams, but I don't think it would. You can still build through the draft. Look at OKC. Imagine if there was no cap, they would have been able to keep Harden and Green.

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Ibaka

Damn...

Shammyguy3
02-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Just because in this hypothetical there wouldn't be a salary cap, that doesn't mean that you would be able to afford to pay those players = no guarantee that OKC would have been able to keep Harden.

Lake_Show2416
02-04-2014, 02:25 PM
the league needs to get rid of the max contract for players & keep the cap

flea
02-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Why is everyone acting like Harden having to move on from that team is a bad thing? It was good for competition and I'm glad it had to happen. Would I feel differently as a Thunder fan? Maybe, but what joy is there in seeing a top 3 PG, top 3 SG, top 2 SF, and top 3 PF all play in their primes together and romp through the playoffs? I'd rather see Durant taking 20-25 shots a game, like we have been.

Bramaca
02-04-2014, 04:52 PM
A hard cap with the ability to profit share would be better imo.

Shammyguy3
02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Why is everyone acting like Harden having to move on from that team is a bad thing? It was good for competition and I'm glad it had to happen. Would I feel differently as a Thunder fan? Maybe, but what joy is there in seeing a top 3 PG, top 3 SG, top 2 SF, and top 3 PF all play in their primes together and romp through the playoffs? I'd rather see Durant taking 20-25 shots a game, like we have been.

Serge Ibaka's a top3 PF? since when

Asik's better
02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
I would like to point out that thunder mis management is more to blame for harden being traded rather than the cap.

Kevj77
02-04-2014, 06:22 PM

As it is now, smaller teams such as OKC have to trade a James Harden because they can't afford to pay him due to luxury tax. Average players have to take vet minimum deals because teams can't afford to overpay.Yeah the worst place to be in the NBA is just good enough to not be able to afford a max player in free agency due to the cap, but not bad enough to get in the draft lottery. That is NBA purgatory.

Dade County
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
the league needs to get rid of the max contract for players & keep the cap

I can agree with this...

But I feel that the league should have a hard cap; but I still believe the players should get whats owed to them percentage wise; instead of having the owners pocket the extra money.

So I think that players should get the same percentage that they do from this new CBA deal(however they calculated), but they get a fat check when they retire (of whatever percentage they would fall into).

So this helps NBA players not go broke, and you can have a hard cap. 50mil hard cap and NO max contract.

AddiX
02-04-2014, 08:16 PM
God I wish there was an age limit, There's teams with more than half the roster with a core of immature retards.

I don't know how people watch those teams. Oh yeah, they don't! Which is why the NBA needs a age limit desperately.

True Sports Fan
02-04-2014, 08:46 PM
You guys say it would be bad for small market teams, but I don't think it would. You can still build through the draft. Look at OKC. Imagine if there was no cap, they would have been able to keep Harden and Green.

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Ibaka

Damn...

Sure they can build through the draft, but like you just pointed out their stars can just leave... Saying it's not bad for small market teams, than totally contradict your point by saying OKC lost Harden and Green :laugh2:

Kevj77
02-04-2014, 09:51 PM
I don't think it is the cap that hurts small markets it is the luxury tax that only big markets can afford. That is the reason OKC traded Harden. Ironically it was put in place by small market owners to hurt the really big markets like NY and LA.

NBA_Starter
02-04-2014, 11:54 PM
I didn't expect this coming from him.

tp13baby
02-05-2014, 12:21 AM
The cap thing isn't great, but no salary cap would ruin the NBA.

king4day
02-05-2014, 02:16 AM
I think all of the valid points have been made. Parity would be even worse.