PDA

View Full Version : Karl Malone to Blake Griffin: "Next time someone cheap shots you, lose your mind"

Baltoro
02-01-2014, 07:56 PM
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/karl-malone-blake-griffin-cheap-shot

I would love to spend some time with Blake Griffin, Malone said. I love that kid. First thing Id do [is say], Blake, the next time one guy cheap shots you, just lose your mind. I would pay your fine. Lose your mind, run roughshod if a coach grab you, throw him too and say Im sorry coach.

I love the way this kid plays. I dont like the cheap shots that people take at him, Malone said.

I think the Mailman has a point. I like Blake's game, he's been playing great since CP3 went down, but it seems other teams seem to go after him a lot (Bogut, Zbo etc). Barkley mentioned something along the same lines on Thursday night pre Clips-Warriors game. Thoughts? Is Blake soft?

KG2TB
02-01-2014, 08:37 PM
You either have that mentality or you don't. The mailman was a monster and he had that mentality. I don't know if I'd call Blake soft, per say...but I wouldn't call him hard either :laugh2:

abe_froman
02-01-2014, 08:40 PM
lets hope blake doesnt start hitting guys in the balls like karl did :laugh2:

lol, please
02-01-2014, 08:45 PM
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/karl-malone-blake-griffin-cheap-shot

“I would love to spend some time with Blake Griffin,” Malone said. “I love that kid. First thing I’d do [is say], ‘Blake, the next time one guy cheap shots you, just lose your mind. I would pay your fine. Lose your mind, run roughshod … if a coach grab you, throw him too and say ‘I’m sorry coach.’

“I love the way this kid plays. I don’t like the cheap shots that people take at him,” Malone said.

I think the Mailman has a point. I like Blake's game, he's been playing great since CP3 went down, but it seems other teams seem to go after him a lot (Bogut, Zbo etc). Barkley mentioned something along the same lines on Thursday night pre Clips-Warriors game. Thoughts? Is Blake soft?
This was so yesterday, why are you barely posting this now? :confused:

xabial
02-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Its a slow news day so why nit pick? Better yet why post this and be discouraging? Let the mods do their job. Even if this was played yesterday I actually heard this live and was interested to know if Blake really does get hard fouled and not stand up for himself. I don't see Blake play, since he's out of my market.

Its threadworthy, especially better than those hypothetical threads. Let the mods do their jobs.

Avenged
02-01-2014, 09:18 PM
These players are just bitter of getting posterized by him.

Baltoro
02-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Didn't realize there was a time frame for threads and what can be discussed in the forum. I'll try harder next time.

Chronz
02-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Let all those inferior players do all the barking and chirping, let Blake take the Tim Duncan approach and be smart/pimp about it. I dont want to see Blake ejected for retaliating, better them than him. We all have our limits tho, and Blake has let it be known if players want to tangle with him, feel free to take it away from the cameras *******.

Sly Guy
02-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Didn't realize there was a time frame for threads and what can be discussed in the forum. I'll try harder next time.

I remember when guys started doing that to vince...Not unheard of that guys push around a high flier when he's most vulnerable.

NBA_Starter
02-01-2014, 10:46 PM
He is going to have to just jack somebody up!

TheMightyHumph
02-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Karl Malone was one of the most ballless players in the NBA.

DreamShaker
02-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Malone was the king of cheap shots. One of the dirtiest players of all time. A flopper and a choker as well. He had amazing skill, but it's hilarious to hear him sticking up for a guy who gets cheap shots. If Malone was playing, he would have given him more cheap shots than anyone.

ManRam
02-01-2014, 11:58 PM
blake is a master-baiter.

like, he's a master at baiting defenders. AKA he's a ***** and i have no sympathy for him. he's that big, strong and athletic and he acts like ****ing christina yamaguchi. yeah, there's been a few times he's been wrongly punished for things that have happened to him...but he's just asking for it. he's a *****. period. i'll never have sympathy for him. i watched dwight for the better part of a decade NEVER get flagrant fouls called in favor of him because he NEVER would react to getting fouled. blake's the complete opposite. he deserves everything that comes to him

Cal827
02-02-2014, 12:00 AM

like, he's a master at baiting defenders. AKA he's a ***** and i have no sympathy for him. he's that big, strong and athletic and he acts like ****ing christina yamaguchi. yeah, there's been a few times he's been wrongly punished for things that have happened to him...but he's just asking for it. he's a *****. period. i'll never have sympathy for him. i watched dwight for the better part of a decade NEVER get flagrant fouls called in favor of him because he NEVER would react to getting fouled. blake's the complete opposite. he deserves everything that comes to him

:laugh:

Goose17
02-02-2014, 07:34 AM
He probably should do this. Then again, with all the flopping he used to do maybe the cheap shots are just karma?

b@llhog24
02-02-2014, 08:03 AM

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/I_dc2283_1392855.jpg

Drummond#1
02-02-2014, 09:10 AM
He needs to. Even if he gets suspended for a game it's better than looking soft. He should have Steve Blake teach him some MMA ****. Steve isn't doing anything else at Staples anytime soon.

Eagles710
02-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Its a slow news day so why nit pick? Better yet why post this and be discouraging? Let the mods do their job. Even if this was played yesterday I actually heard this live and was interested to know if Blake really does get hard fouled and not stand up for himself. I don't see Blake play, since he's out of my market.

Its threadworthy, especially better than those hypothetical threads. Let the mods do their jobs.

Agreed Sir ... and sadly yes blake is soft ..... I know this is going to sound like complete horse ****

KnicksorBust
02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
He is going to have to just jack somebody up!

I'm sure you are joking but I think this is the absolute worst approach. In today's NBA, he would be vilified and suspended for a half a season for something stupid like this. The idea that a player approaching his prime should throw away half a season of a contending team because of some cheap shot is beyond moronic.

Clippersfan86
02-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Lol manram sorry about the Orlando Magic bro, forever cursed. As for this topic, love that Malone thinks so highly of Blake. That being said in Malone's era a punch may get you a tech, now you may get a 5-1 0game suspension. Besides since December when Blake became a 75 percent FT shooter teams have stopped cheapshotting him.

Like Chronz said I'd much rather the Duncan approach where he keeps his head down and earns respect with his game, not his fists. How many people call Duncan soft? Yet we've all seen KG ***** slap him and he didn't even do anything. The idea that not fighting after a hard foul=soft in basketball is so dumb lol. Soft to me is a guy like Bargnani who doesn't play hard and ON the court gets killed a lot, while fearing physicality.

Blake if anything is a bully on the court. One of the most physical players hands down, has never shied from a challenge. How many NBA players would spend 3 years battling relentlessly with a guy like Zbo and still play with the same fire each time? Blake's toughness is a huge part of his game, not a flaw.

Fnom11
02-02-2014, 11:50 PM
I've actually been impressed with some of the maturity he's shown lately while getting fouled the way he does. Sure, I hate his game and his antics but he's definitely gained a little respect in that regard for me.

Chronz
02-03-2014, 12:05 AM

based on wart?

Avenged
02-03-2014, 12:56 AM

You're not even mad though, right?

Kushed
02-03-2014, 01:24 AM
Malone was a cheap shot so this is rather ironic...

Funny thing is I actually agree with him though. Griffin needs to stand up for himself sometime. Let them know you're done getting cheap shotted.

effen5
02-03-2014, 02:46 AM
karl Malone is the ****. I remember when he did the diamond cutter on somebody

EAGLES3658
02-03-2014, 02:52 AM

Yeah, he brings it on himself by flopping all the time. I hate him for it too. Flopping is so ****ing pathetic, you'd think people would want to prove that they aren't soft *****es.

MonroeFAN
02-03-2014, 09:53 AM
How can someone as stupid as Karl Malone be such a good basketball player?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6vYW7zRxaPep2eXpeDQ8D_QFaoGxLw z8Abf4I9DAziSVqOrrv

D-Leethal
02-03-2014, 10:50 AM
I think there are good reasons he is targeted - the monster dunks, the fact that he leapfrogged many well deserved established stars when it comes to being a top 3 commercial star in the league with LeBron and CP3, the obvious rigged dunk contest that he didn't deserve to win, and the flops will make you a target for today's "enforcers" (if you want to call him that). I don't think Blake is a ***** as much as he is a good "company man" who wants to maintain a good image and I am sure he understands that guys roughing him up in a weird way is a sign of respect, because they know he's dangerous and try to throw him off his game. Blake to me doesn't seem like a *****, he seems to be willing to go back at guys and doesn't back down, but he's also not a lunatic who is going to go crazy and get himself suspended over a hard foul.

rhino17
02-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Malone may be the single dirtiest player I've ever watched in my life. I hate him more than anyone in the history of the nba

kdspurman
02-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Lol manram sorry about the Orlando Magic bro, forever cursed. As for this topic, love that Malone thinks so highly of Blake. That being said in Malone's era a punch may get you a tech, now you may get a 5-1 0game suspension. Besides since December when Blake became a 75 percent FT shooter teams have stopped cheapshotting him.

Like Chronz said I'd much rather the Duncan approach where he keeps his head down and earns respect with his game, not his fists. How many people call Duncan soft? Yet we've all seen KG ***** slap him and he didn't even do anything. The idea that not fighting after a hard foul=soft in basketball is so dumb lol. Soft to me is a guy like Bargnani who doesn't play hard and ON the court gets killed a lot, while fearing physicality.

Blake if anything is a bully on the court. One of the most physical players hands down, has never shied from a challenge. How many NBA players would spend 3 years battling relentlessly with a guy like Zbo and still play with the same fire each time? Blake's toughness is a huge part of his game, not a flaw.

it seems to fit Blake's personality more to take that low key approach to things. The biggest thing with TD is he was mentally strong. he didn't let guys yapping get into his head and always kept his composure. You couldn't say anything to him that would make him do something he didn't want to. (i think his psyche degree probably helped in that nature lol) but a few players have really respected that part from Duncan and said how you can't get into his head.

from what i've seen from Blake lately, it seems he doesn't get as frustrated as he used to about fouls. he still gets annoyed every now and then, but not as much as past seasons which is good for him. that's probably the best thing he can do, just take whatever comes his way and try to show people that it won't effect him. Like you/Chronz said by attacking someone it's just going to hurt the team in the long run. I thought them keeping stephen jackson or someone like that would be good cause that dude is very protective of his teammates.

IKnowHoops
02-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I'll never forget when Malone elbowed my boy Drob and K'oed him. Malone was dirty and the only person I remember really messing with malone was Rodman. But Rodman still respected Malone from a physical aspect. I like Blake, I don't think he needs to go to Malone level.

Clippersfan86
02-03-2014, 02:26 PM
it seems to fit Blake's personality more to take that low key approach to things. The biggest thing with TD is he was mentally strong. he didn't let guys yapping get into his head and always kept his composure. You couldn't say anything to him that would make him do something he didn't want to. (i think his psyche degree probably helped in that nature lol) but a few players have really respected that part from Duncan and said how you can't get into his head.

from what i've seen from Blake lately, it seems he doesn't get as frustrated as he used to about fouls. he still gets annoyed every now and then, but not as much as past seasons which is good for him. that's probably the best thing he can do, just take whatever comes his way and try to show people that it won't effect him. Like you/Chronz said by attacking someone it's just going to hurt the team in the long run. I thought them keeping stephen jackson or someone like that would be good cause that dude is very protective of his teammates.

That is a big part of why Duncan is a top 10 player all time, I never expect Blake to reach that level of course. As you said with Duncan he's not even phased whatsoever by abuse. He acts like you don't even exist and goes on about his business. That's his game and mentality personified. Blake on the other hand as you said let people get inside his head a lot the first 3 years. Then again Duncan was never a cheapshot target to the degree Blake was... where the minute he goes up, he gets horsecollared, hit in the face etc. That seems to be more reserved for physically superior players either in strength or athletcism that bully other players. Duncan clowns you with skills and intelligence... for whatever reason that doesn't piss people off as much as crossing them over and exploding for a dunk from near the free throw line.

Again to touch on what you said, Blake's improved composure is very noticable. He's not going after refs anymore, he's ignoring players that try to confront him and in general he's doing way less talking with opponents. He's still a fiery player who will get into it occasionally and will never back down, but that's obviously a great thing. Earlier in his career I wanted him to be a Kenyon Martin and just beat the crap out of people... but when you really think about it there is ZERO benefit to that. Like somebody posted on the previous page Blake will be vilified league wide and be seen as a punk and headcase which will HURT him when it comes to reffing, respect of peers etc, not help. He's FINALLY after 4 years getting an appropriate level of calls in his favor for the most part and it would be terrible if he reversed that.

What he's doing now is the perfect way to build a good, wholesome reputation. Which is to go about your business and improve your game. What we are seeing in how Blake is perceived is what usually happens with a sports superstar. First they love and admire you. Then they turn on you when you aren't improving as fast as they expected. Then as you develop they start coming back around on supporting you. This year it's been nice because I don't feel like I'm ever having to defend Blake as much. People are acknowledgeing his improvements and aren't unfairly criticizing anywhere near as much as his 2nd and 3rd year.

Clippersfan86
02-03-2014, 02:29 PM
It can't be said enough though that the 90's were WAY different than this current decade. Back then you could throw a punch and get a tech. Now you're getting suspended 5+ games. Blake has become arguably more essential to our team than CP3 and the thought of losing him for 5 games or more is pretty devastating. Even WITH CP3 the minute Blake goes to the bench the offense usually falls apart (because of ZERO inside presence outside of Blake). I'd rather us sign a goon who's made a lot of money in his career and just wants to enforce (kinda like a Juwan Howard type).

lbird1986
02-03-2014, 08:45 PM
So a steroid using, child molesting, cheap-shot using, fake tough, dead-beat dad is giving "advice" and anyone is taking that piece of crap seriously?

Seriously?

First off, Malone's arms grew twice in size between his rookie year and the mid/late 90's...guy was one of the most obvious steroid users I've ever seen. That's not even mentioning the longevity while maintaining high minutes. "But uh, he worked out a lot...." LOL.

Second, he raped a 12 y/o and impregnated her, then basically disowns his kids.

Third, he never EVER went after guys his size or bigger. Guy was a cheap shot artist who elbowed guys randomly in the face.

Oh, and he's maybe the biggest playoff choker of all time.

So yea, I think Malone should STFU, worry about not going to Hell, and maybe become more of a man, b/c as it is, he's a little boy in a 6-8 steroid induced body. Glad I wasn't his kid...

lbird1986
02-03-2014, 08:51 PM
I'll never forget when Malone elbowed my boy Drob and K'oed him. Malone was dirty and the only person I remember really messing with malone was Rodman. But Rodman still respected Malone from a physical aspect. I like Blake, I don't think he needs to go to Malone level.

Plenty of guys couldn't have given a ***** about Malone. Malone WAS dirty, but not really that tough at ALL. Guys like Barkley, Bird, Oakley, Ewing, X-Man, Kemp, Mason, Duncan, McHale, Parish, Laimbeer, Rodman, Willis, etc. would and didn't have any problem going toe-to-toe with him.

He was maybe the most mentally weak "star" of his era too.

JordansBulls
02-06-2014, 09:31 PM
How many guys you think would step up to Cousins?

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Blake's soft, but it's in his defense. But I think he's getting better. A good fight might boost his confidence. He needs to knock out DeMarcus Cousins.