PDA

View Full Version : Who did more for the NBA: The players, Stern, or Nike?

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Stern has retired and many mark the growth of the NBA as a sign of his management. However, there seems to be other influence.

Stern has done a great job of promoting the game internationally and has expanded the the league domestically, gets teams in: Charlotte, Orlando, Minny, Miami, Toronto, Vancouver/Memphis New Orleans and OKC, with Seattle sadly losing their team.

Players have also had a huge impact. The Bird vs. Magic rivalry popularized the NBA, and Dr. J did wonders to highlight the athleticism in the game, at which point Jordan came in and became perhaps the biggest athletic icon in the history of sports, rivaled only by Ali and Babe Ruth.

Nike, however, also had a huge role. The help brand Jordan and other players, which in turn popularized the NBA by making the players celebrities. This hurt the team and many fans became fans of Jordan and not fans of basketball, which made it hard for the NBA after Jordan retired.

So who do you think is most responsible for the NBA's growth?

D-Leethal
02-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Stern gets all the credit. There were superstars before Magic and Larry - but Stern realized the marketing WAS the stars and not the teams. He was the first to understand that and while Magic and Larry might have fell into his lap, he had the perfect plan to capitalize on it and used that to drive the success of the NBA during his tenure, creating international celebrity superstars out of basketball players to a degree you don't really see in any other sport.

Lakers + Giants
02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
As much as people hate him, there is no denying Stern made the NBA better. Let's hope Adam Silver can do the same. NBA has the potential to challenge soccer as the most popular sport in the world within a decade or two, something that would've been unthinkable before stern took over.

Goose17
02-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Stern gets all the credit. There were superstars before Magic and Larry - but Stern realized the marketing WAS the stars and not the teams. He was the first to understand that and while Magic and Larry might have fell into his lap, he had the perfect plan to capitalize on it and used that to drive the success of the NBA during his tenure, creating international celebrity superstars out of basketball players to a degree you don't really see in any other sport.

This^

End of discussion.

3RDASYSTEM
02-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Child please, its the ''players'' all day everyday 24/7/365

and its not even close

example: WILT saved the nba literally by avg 50ppg back then in like the 60s

people came to watch the player(s) and that was understood since then

of course in mediahype commissioner will get majority of credit but those commercials were based on the appeal of the player, like JORDAN for example, be like mike, not like STERN or NIKE or GATORADE

it's not even close that it's the player, i'd be nice and give STERN/NIKE 10pct, and the players 90pct

International is the same way, the had KUKOC(dubbed JORDAN of Europe at that time), PETROVIC,SABONIS,DIRK,PAU,SARUNAS,SCHREMPF and few others who had game but not on the level of the top best 10 players ever from over in States

now imagine if a player hailed internationally on the level of a WILT/JORDAN? they would be a brand so globally strong that the NBA would need that player way way more as far as marketing it's brand because that player is so good coming from overseas, but bringing in other players from other countries seems to be basic business back then and now, nothing special about doing that when you are in the business to expand

the money back then was just as much as it is right now, equivalent wise

the contract WILT signed and DR J and others signed are the equal of these outrageous deals now, its just now in hindsight the old school was underpaid to a travesty type level

I think WILT had a contract more than most nba teams franchise costs or something of that nature back in the 60's

If bigs like M GASOL and NOAH can get 60mil and 55mil contracts today then WILT and DR J should have been paid no less than 5mil per season back then

Vinylman
02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
What made the nba better was the collapse of the ABA...

everything that stern supposedly did was just copying the approach of the ABA

stern isn't an innovator... he is a plagerist

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2014, 04:08 PM
This^

End of discussion.

I think race plays a role in this. There a LOT of racial tensions leading up to the 80's. The stars before were Russell and Wilt, the Oscar and Kareem... I think for America in general, watching a predominantly 'black' sport was not palpable.

In the 80's, America was removed from the racial tensions of desegregation and the riots, fans were introduced to 'white v black' match up with Bird and Magic. I think Bird made the game more palpable to white audiences. This was something the commissioners didn't have to work with before. Sure, there were guys like West and Barry in the past (who were AMAZING), and later Walton who got injured early and played for a small market, but Wilt v Russell made the 60's, and Kareem and Oscar were best in their respective primes.

Stern took over a league at the right time, with the right players, and then Jordan... whose celebrity is much more to due Nike's branding and PR than Stern.

Stern did a great job of making the league popular nationally and inter-nationality (sometimes at the expense of the game and small markets if the 'fixed' rumours are true) and Stern didn't make a lot of mistakes in terms of capitalizing on the good fortune he had. He took full advantage of every piece of good fortune.

I think all three were extremely important, but Stern was VERY lucky that Nike was such a master of branding and marketing.

The one thing I respect most of what Stern did was eliminate the fighting in the league. You see in hockey, when teams get out played, they fight.... the is sad. Some fans think it is 'part of the game', but it could have just as easily been a part of basketball's game (the NBA was brutal for fights n the 70's). Stern nipped that in the bud and eliminated fighting almost entirely. Kudos to that. We watch basketball to watch basketball, not fighting.

But I think Stern came into a perfect time. He deserve credit for taking full advantage of that (we've seen other GM's with a perfect situation destroy it), but I think Nike had a much larger impact than many realize and I believe that all three groups deserve tremendous credit.

jayjay33
02-01-2014, 04:24 PM
JORDAN........end thread.

3RDASYSTEM
02-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I think race plays a role in this. There a LOT of racial tensions leading up to the 80's. The stars before were Russell and Wilt, the Oscar and Kareem... I think for America in general, watching a predominantly 'black' sport was not palpable.

In the 80's, America was removed from the racial tensions of desegregation and the riots, fans were introduced to 'white v black' match up with Bird and Magic. I think Bird made the game more palpable to white audiences. This was something the commissioners didn't have to work with before. Sure, there were guys like West and Barry in the past (who were AMAZING), and later Walton who got injured early and played for a small market, but Wilt v Russell made the 60's, and Kareem and Oscar were best in their respective primes.

Stern took over a league at the right time, with the right players, and then Jordan... whose celebrity is much more to due Nike's branding and PR than Stern.

Stern did a great job of making the league popular nationally and inter-nationality (sometimes at the expense of the game and small markets if the 'fixed' rumours are true) and Stern didn't make a lot of mistakes in terms of capitalizing on the good fortune he had. He took full advantage of every piece of good fortune.

I think all three were extremely important, but Stern was VERY lucky that Nike was such a master of branding and marketing.

The one thing I respect most of what Stern did was eliminate the fighting in the league. You see in hockey, when teams get out played, they fight.... the is sad. Some fans think it is 'part of the game', but it could have just as easily been a part of basketball's game (the NBA was brutal for fights n the 70's). Stern nipped that in the bud and eliminated fighting almost entirely. Kudos to that. We watch basketball to watch basketball, not fighting.

But I think Stern came into a perfect time. He deserve credit for taking full advantage of that (we've seen other GM's with a perfect situation destroy it), but I think Nike had a much larger impact than many realize and I believe that all three groups deserve tremendous credit.

1. it was a lot of tension in AMERICA because AMERICA was built on racism/slavery and of blacks being the ab originals of all races, duh right?

2. AMERICA was dumbed down to think racism was not existing or dying down because they had good HOF white players pre BIRD in which one is the nba logo so the BIRD/MAGIC matchup was all about a feel good college to the nba rivalry and both played on supreme stacked teams reaching the FINALS 4x in row(both players), so that was a feel good story and the black and white player vs player just bridged that fake racism is dead gap, it's been rivalries way before STERN and will be after, no matter what

3. STERN got lucky along with NIKE that they were able to lure the cream of the crop athletes to use them to market and brand they product

4. STERN made a lot of dictatorship changes since the nba was so black, he watered down the nba to flops and flops and more flops to the point he start fining others for his dictatorship, emotions and getting heated and pushing is apart of all sports and he went to the point to fine/suspend players for taking a big toe over a line 2 ft from the bench area or something of that nature, plus he also fines players money after allowing them to do it on his clock, he is a average owner at best, rogue refs and all, on his hire his clock, his tenure so all that falls on him, of course he gets credit for expansion because that's a owners job to do when already inheriting a league of multiple teams but he doesn't get credit for revenue because that is based on how good the players are and how good the refs rigged the games to keep them close and exciting, plus he changed the dress code and got players dressing like prom night instead of a good ole time at the gym like us people in the crowd dress, I have been to plenty of games and I have never saw any person on my entire side of the court wearing a suit, it was comfy attire of all facets but nothing close of a prom suit

he also rigged drafts and nixed trades after being finalized...he is a supreme dictator just like the rest of the commissioners in the NLF to MLB who did more bad than good and i'm being nice

numba1CHANGsta
02-01-2014, 04:46 PM
What's the main reasons why anyone ever watched an NBA game? To watch their favorite team play and to watch the best players in the world play it's that simple. The only credit ill give Stern is for making it international and for merging more teams into the NBA. But the end of the day it's the Players. What has Nike done? If anything Jordan made Nike popular, Nike didn't make Jordan or any other player popular. Jordan could ball up anyone wearing any kind of shoe!

ThuglifeJ
02-01-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't even care how 'popular' the NBA is.. I don't like a fixed product or any influence. It completely ruins it. I hate stern because of that. Basketball is my favorite sport. Thats why I'm addicted to NBA. To watch the best players. But I cannot be satisfied with it. I'd rather care for a hockey/football/maybe baseball/soccer team because they are playing the sport one team vs another. No corrupt refs, owner, fixed lottery, fixed playoffs. Whoever wins you know actually won.

Almost no game can I watch without getting frustrated of a favorited call, biased national media. Its ridiculous. NBA is part WWE, dictatorship, and propaganda.

To the question, Jordan gets most the credit.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Stern was the mastermind behind all of this.

KingPosey
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
All three of the big sports market, he didnt do anything magical or revolutionary, But he handled business economically that's for damn sure.

I'm sure him taking over while some of the greatest rivalries of all time were happening, three of the GOATs and most popular players ever were in their prime, and huge advances in media, television and technology all had less to Do with it than his magic marketing.

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2014, 04:54 PM
1. it was a lot of tension in AMERICA because AMERICA was built on racism/slavery and of blacks being the ab originals of all races, duh right?

2. AMERICA was dumbed down to think racism was not existing or dying down because they had good HOF white players pre BIRD in which one is the nba logo so the BIRD/MAGIC matchup was all about a feel good college to the nba rivalry and both played on supreme stacked teams reaching the FINALS 4x in row(both players), so that was a feel good story and the black and white player vs player just bridged that fake racism is dead gap, it's been rivalries way before STERN and will be after, no matter what

3. STERN got lucky along with NIKE that they were able to lure the cream of the crop athletes to use them to market and brand they product

4. STERN made a lot of dictatorship changes since the nba was so black, he watered down the nba to flops and flops and more flops to the point he start fining others for his dictatorship, emotions and getting heated and pushing is apart of all sports and he went to the point to fine/suspend players for taking a big toe over a line 2 ft from the bench area or something of that nature, plus he also fines players money after allowing them to do it on his clock, he is a average owner at best, rogue refs and all, on his hire his clock, his tenure so all that falls on him, of course he gets credit for expansion because that's a owners job to do when already inheriting a league of multiple teams but he doesn't get credit for revenue because that is based on how good the players are and how good the refs rigged the games to keep them close and exciting, plus he changed the dress code and got players dressing like prom night instead of a good ole time at the gym like us people in the crowd dress, I have been to plenty of games and I have never saw any person on my entire side of the court wearing a suit, it was comfy attire of all facets but nothing close of a prom suit

he also rigged drafts and nixed trades after being finalized...he is a supreme dictator just like the rest of the commissioners in the NLF to MLB who did more bad than good and i'm being nice

There isn't a word you wrote here that I disagree with.

mightybosstone
02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
You obviously have to give the players a ton of credit, because Stern can't market anything if he doesn't have the players to do so. But it's not like the NBA lacked talent before Stern got there. Stern also cleaned up the NBA's act. We can't forget that the league had a HUGE cocaine problem before Stern got there, and by the end of the 80s it was non-existent.

ramsizzle
02-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Stern himself said that "no one will know the impact that Jordan and those Bulls had on the world"