PDA

View Full Version : Loaning players?

kjoke
02-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Do you think this could work in the NBA? For example a team has no way of making the playoffs, so they loan players for extra money. The money is agreed upon, and does not count toward the luxury tax. After the season/playoffs the player returns to the same team.

Allows for more experimentation and these terrible contracts that players get can be mitigated to an extent for teams that get these high priced players and still can't seem to win

rhino17
02-01-2014, 01:16 PM
The idea of loaning players within the same league is beyond stupid. I don't understand why this is a normal thing in Europe. I would never want this in the nba

waveycrockett
02-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Makes absolutely no sense. It might work in Soccer because they have hundreds of teams and a bunch of leagues but beyond horrible idea in the NBA.

kjoke
02-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Makes absolutely no sense. It might work in Soccer because they have hundreds of teams and a bunch of leagues but beyond horrible idea in the NBA.

I do think there are a lot of benefits though. I just feel that it makes it easier for teams to improve mid-season without having to make trades and such. Young talent that might not get a chance with one team, does with another. Player's contracts get split up between teams so no one is stuck having to pay JJ's contract. And quite a lot more

IndyRealist
02-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Absolutely not. The whole point of the salary cap and luxury tax is to keep big markets from buying up all of the good players.

kjoke
02-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Absolutely not. The whole point of the salary cap and luxury tax is to keep big markets from buying up all of the good players.

But the good players return to your team after a while. Teams with a high salary due to underperforming give away talent to teams who are only a piece away from contending.

Its a win-win

bholly
02-01-2014, 01:29 PM
If they were ever going to do it, it would have to be under a few conditions - you have to loan the guy for the entire season, both teams and the player have to agree (and the player should prob get a bonus of some kind for relocating and all that) and the receiving team has to be able to afford him under the cap rules (although maybe it would be more like signings than trades, ie you can use the MLE or whatever).

It definitely shouldn't be that teams with no cap room or exceptions can just add guys over the cap just because it's temporary, and it also shouldn't be that you can just wait till the middle of the season and load up for the playoffs, that'd be stupid.

The biggest issue, though, would be the draft - it would be a crazy easy way to tank. You could only really do it if you changed the lottery and draft process so that it couldn't be exploited.

JLynn943
02-01-2014, 01:30 PM
No way. Beyond it being a smack in the face to the idea of a competitive league where all teams are trying to win, it would make tanking far worse than it already is (give away your good players and what do you think the result is going to be?) and would very possibly lead to the talented players on bad teams not having much reason to try hard for or stay on their teams. They could get paid to be the best player on a team going nowhere and coast all season until it's time to be loaned somewhere where they have a far better shot at winning.

archdevil84
02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
this would make massive stacked teams and then teams who have like all crappy players.

SeoulBeatz
02-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Do you think this could work in the NBA? For example a team has no way of making the playoffs, so they loan players for extra money. The money is agreed upon, and does not count toward the luxury tax. After the season/playoffs the player returns to the same team.

Allows for more experimentation and these terrible contracts that players get can be mitigated to an extent for teams that get these high priced players and still can't seem to win

If the Euro league were better I'd have no problem loaning a player overseas to develop.

But since the NBA is by far the best basketball league in the world, it wouldn't make sense to have the loaning system where you'd play against you're own players so frequently.

I realize this happens in the soccer but that's something that's always baffled me.

Especially cause in the Premier league there's half as many teams as the NBA and players are still loaned out to RIVAL teams.

I also think it's crazy how many international games are played during the soccer season. Like Real Madrid and Barcelona players will play in a heated rivalry game, but 2 days later they're playing together for Spain.

bleedprple&gold
02-01-2014, 01:59 PM
If it's done in European Soccer that should tell you right there its not a good idea.

flea
02-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Why not make even more of a mockery of the competition level?

DubbyDubbs
02-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Hate the idea. I would hate to see players from my team being loaned and going and putting their heart into another team winning a championship. I would likely stop watching basketball if this ever happened. This is th type of thing that maybe those people who are "fans of the NBA" or "Fans of a certain player" would like... but if you are a fan first and foremost for your team, this sucks.

Cal827
02-01-2014, 02:58 PM
LOL, Pat Riley would inquiring about Drummond the second that Detroit would be eliminated from playoff contention.

IndyRealist
02-01-2014, 03:00 PM
But the good players return to your team after a while. Teams with a high salary due to underperforming give away talent to teams who are only a piece away from contending.

Its a win-win

And then they get loaned out again. It's not a win-win for the sport. LA, New York, and Brooklyn would get to circumvent the salary cap and luxury tax, while small markets would just be farm teams with no real chance of competing. It is a flat out bad idea unless you're a fan of a team with deep pockets.

PurpleLynch
02-01-2014, 03:03 PM
While I see it as normal,because I grew up watching and playing soccer,I think it would be a terrible idea for the Nba.Contracts are ok as they are in the Nba.

Goose17
02-01-2014, 03:48 PM
What would be interesting is if the NBA and FIBA could come to an agreement where professional leagues from around the world could loan players to the NBA. Right now, you have guys like Rubio, Exum etc who play(ed) in professional leagues before being drafted, imagine if they were simply regarded as free agents, what if Exum was loaned out for 3 months to a weak team in the East, it could be very interesting to see.

Not sure it makes sense for the NBA alone, but if you could somehow "call up" or "loan" players from other pro leagues in Europe and Australia etc that would be interesting, I mean it would essentially be like calling guys up from the D-league. Even if it was a 30 day contract or something.

On top of that the FIBA clubs will get money in exchange for the loan which will help them develop the talent in their own league.

...then again, it would rarely be used, most teams would just call guys up from the D-league.

IgglesFanInCO
02-01-2014, 03:48 PM
It would make it so there would be next to zero parity in the league

I love watching the nba so much, but I would never watch another game if that happened, anyone who has ever competed or understands competition in the least should be sickened by this idea

MrfadeawayJB
02-02-2014, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't like that