02-01-2014, 05:49 AM
hahahahahaahahahahahaa

TDE
02-01-2014, 06:47 AM
:laugh2:

jimm120
02-01-2014, 08:07 AM
poor Sonics indeed.

and for NY, he should have allowed at least one more high lottery pick (if you know what I mean) but instead allowed his team to go through the gutter.

Drummond#1
02-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Dirty disgusting human being. He put the business of basketball ahead of the game and the fans. Robbed a dedicated fanbase of a premiere franchise and ultimately created a soft league for flopping and super friends to thrive. All he ever cared about was the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Drummond#1
02-01-2014, 09:52 AM
If Silver has even an ounce of integrity in his blood he will be 10x the commissioner Stern ever was.

NYKNYGNYY
02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Silver looks like one of the aliens in men in black

KG2TB
02-01-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't think there's gonna be any difference between Stern and Silver other than their name and appearance.

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Rotflmmfasohsmp

John Walls Era
02-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Dirty disgusting human being. He put the business of basketball ahead of the game and the fans. Robbed a dedicated fanbase of a premiere franchise and ultimately created a soft league for flopping and super friends to thrive. All he ever cared about was the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

isn't that what all of you want?

JLynn943
02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Ask me this a couple years ago, and I hated him - blaming him in part for the Kings being robbed of a likely championship in 2002. Since then, he made sure the city of Sacramento was given a fair chance to save the Kings (unlike what happened to the Sonics when they were moved). Without him, the Kings don't exist, so he made it all okay in my book.

NoahH
02-01-2014, 01:56 PM
:mad:

asandhu23
02-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Good riddance.

mightybosstone
02-01-2014, 02:05 PM
If you graded Stern on the job he did up until the early 2000s, I don't know how you could give him anything other than an A. The man took a sport that was struggling to stay alive, learned how to market its players and turned it into the second most profitable professional sport in the country and something that has far more worldwide appeal.

However, I will admit that the league's dependence on its superstars has also created a weakness in its officiating and how fans view the league's officiating. And obviously the handling of the Sonics will go down as a huge black mark on his career and on the league's history.

I think most of the country got it right. Giving the guy a "B" seems exactly right. When you consider how other commissioners have been viewed in their respective sports (*cough*Bud Selig*cough*), a "B" is a damn solid grade for any commissioner. He won't just go down as the greatest commissioner in NBA history, he'll go down as one of the greatest commissioners of any sport ever.

asandhu23
02-01-2014, 02:25 PM
If you graded Stern on the job he did up until the early 2000s, I don't know how you could give him anything other than an A. The man took a sport that was struggling to stay alive, learned how to market its players and turned it into the second most profitable professional sport in the country and something that has far more worldwide appeal.

However, I will admit that the league's dependence on its superstars has also created a weakness in its officiating and how fans view the league's officiating. And obviously the handling of the Sonics will go down as a huge black mark on his career and on the league's history.

I think most of the country got it right. Giving the guy a "B" seems exactly right. When you consider how other commissioners have been viewed in their respective sports (*cough*Bud Selig*cough*), a "B" is a damn solid grade for any commissioner. He won't just go down as the greatest commissioner in NBA history, he'll go down as one of the greatest commissioners of any sport ever.

How much of that has to do with the rise of the internet?

TrueFan420
02-01-2014, 03:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=nba&pollId=4167329

Mostly B overall... This rigged... Just like Stern did to the nba

D-Leethal
02-01-2014, 03:38 PM

Not really much of it at all. This started in the late 70s/early 80s. Stern knew exactly how to utilize the internet when it became a worldwide phenomenon but the internet doesn't save a dying sports league by itself.

D-Leethal
02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
I agree with Mightybosstone. Up until the brawl there is no argument for anything less than an A-A+. I personally don't like the direction the sissified league has went since then but its hard to argue with the results. I am a biased fan who grew up on the 90s Knicks, so I love the rugged rugby no holds barred style of play, from a business/success standpoint he deserves an A+ in everyones book.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Why would he run the NBA for the sake of the fans? The owners would be absolutely livid if he put the fans over the money.

asandhu23
02-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Not really much of it at all. This started in the late 70s/early 80s. Stern knew exactly how to utilize the internet when it became a worldwide phenomenon but the internet doesn't save a dying sports league by itself.

How about advancement in other forms of broadcasts then? Media changed so much around the time Stern got into the league.

mightybosstone
02-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Well, considering the Internet era didn't really take hold until the mid-90s and the NBA began its rise in the 80s with the Magic-Bird era, I'd give Stern, Bird and Magic way more credit than the Internet.

JLynn943
02-01-2014, 05:06 PM

I think this is spot on regarding his performance as commissioner. He was fantastic for the NBA, but wasn't perfect. The game has suffered a bit lately, and obviously the Seattle and Tim Donaghy/game fixing situations are pretty big negatives for his tenure, but overall the NBA would most likely not be as successful as it is (and was over his time as commissioner) without him.

Baller1
02-01-2014, 05:25 PM
**** that piece of ****. Good riddance.

MickeyMgl
02-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Good riddance.

X2

He passed his "sell by" date at least 5-6 years ago. He also owes a lot of his earlier success to providence - he arrived shortly after Jerry Buss did, and most of the marketing strategies the league employed were Buss' ideas. Also, the arrival of Johnson and Bird to key franchises, and then Jordan to Chicago and Riley to NY put two other major cities back on the NBA map.

Stern's a weasel.

MickeyMgl
02-01-2014, 05:53 PM
The handling of the Sonics will go down as a huge black mark on his career and on the league's history.

His complicity in that travesty almost knocks him down to a C in my book.

Chronz
02-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Ask me this a couple years ago, and I hated him - blaming him in part for the Kings being robbed of a likely championship in 2002. Since then, he made sure the city of Sacramento was given a fair chance to save the Kings (unlike what happened to the Sonics when they were moved). Without him, the Kings don't exist, so he made it all okay in my book.

Kings dont get to G6-7 if the refs dont rob the Lakers earlier in the series, so stop being so one sided.

*Superman*
02-01-2014, 06:35 PM
4% F, 3% D, 13% C...

What more did you want OKC?

bledrules
02-01-2014, 06:49 PM
If there were a grade F- he would get it,under his watch tools like LBJ and Kobe Bryant have destroyed the NBA

MickeyMgl
02-02-2014, 04:35 AM

Not really much of it at all. This started in the late 70s/early 80s.

Oh, so in time with the start of ESPN.