PDA

View Full Version : Pistons willing to deal Josh Smith but will have hard time finding trading partners

spreadeagle
01-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Josh Smith is having the worst season of his career.

Playing far too much small forward, a position he can handle only in select matchups, his defense has really fallen off. Though Smith defends power forwards well, his his lack of speed on the perimeter kills his ability to chase wings around screens. He’s also taking way too many jumpers and not getting inside enough, an issue that exists no matter which forward position he’s playing.

Some of that is Smith fault, and some of that is the Pistons’. But it’s all the Pistons’ problem.

The Pistons signed Smith to a four-year, $54 million contract last summer, and they’ll have to pay him all that money – or find someone else to do it.

Chris Broussard of ESPN:

The Josh Smith experiment in Detroit is not going well, and there’s strong opinion around the league that the Pistons would trade him if they could — and “could” is the key word. Since Smith is in the first year of a four-year, $56 million deal, he is one of the most untradable players in the league.

If the Pistons are desperate to trade Smith, that’s something people around the league would know, because that would mean the Pistons are calling around to shop him.

That would also jive with the Pistons’ reported plan to keep Greg Monroe.

Here are a few Smith trade ideas, from least appealing to most appealing from a Pistons perspective:

Smith to the Celtics for Gerald Wallace (three years remaining on his contract) – with Keith Bogans (zero remaining guaranteed years) included to make salaries match
Smith to the Knicks for Andrea Bargnani (two years remaining)
Smith to the Bobcats for Ben Gordon (expiring contract)
Smith to the Suns for Emeka Okafor (expiring contract whose salary is partially covered by insurance)

Some of those players would make the Pistons a little better, some a little worse. But that’s not the point here. These deals are totally about the contracts.

Gordon would be the most interesting deal of the four. The Pistons actually traded Gordon and a first-round pick to Charlotte to clear the cap room used to sign Smith. The Bobcats could really use a power forward, and Smith would fit relatively well in Charlotte.

But would Dumars so publically admit a mistake? After all, the series of transactions – trading Gordon and a pick for Corey Maggette’s expiring contract, signing Smith, trading Smith for Gordon – would essentially leave the Pistons nothing to show for their troubles except a lost first-round pick.

In a completely logical world, those previous moves wouldn’t matter. They’re sunk costs. If trading Smith for Gordon improves the Pistons’ outlook now, they should do it.

Obviously, it doesn’t always work that way. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/31/report-pistons-would-trade-josh-smith-if-they-could/

TrueFan420
01-31-2014, 09:28 PM
The pistons really messed up and everyone knows it doubt anyone is willing to help them out of their mess without receiving a pick or young player on top of smith.

RipCity32
01-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Dumars traded a 1st rounder and BG for Magette to basically get Smith. It would be hilarious if he traded him to Charlotte for BG basically giving them a 1st for free for a half year rental of Smith. Dumars is a terrible GM and should be fired so someone else can come in and fix this mess.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Meh, if they can't trade him, he replaces Monroe when he signs somewhere else in FA at the PF position.

He is awful this year The frustrating part about Smith is he could be so much better if he wasn't an idiot. Terrible shot selection, and his team is playing him largely out of position. But he would still be a top 10 PF if that was his full time position.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Dumars traded a 1st rounder and BG for Magette to basically get Smith. It would be hilarious if he traded him to Charlotte for BG basically giving them a 1st for free for a half year rental of Smith. Dumars is a terrible GM and should be fired so someone else can come in and fix this mess.

dude, Dumars is the Jeckyl and Hyde of GM's. Very good for a while, then horrible for a while. Weird..

RipCity32
01-31-2014, 09:45 PM
dude, Dumars is the Jeckyl and Hyde of GM's. Very good for a while, then horrible for a while. Weird..

I don't know what he's thinking anymore. I read a article basically saying he doesn't look at any sort of advanced stats and judges on the eye test. I'm not huge on most advanced stats but as a GM about to hand out a 56 mil deal you would think he would do some homework. It was a givin Smith would look like crap playing SF in a line up with twin towers who both need to be within 5 foot of the hoop.

Smith is a very talented player though. If it wasn't for his craving for being a Melo type of player then he could easily be a top 10-15 player. But with this lineup he doesn't have stand a chance to succeed. I wouldn't be completely heart broken if Monroe gets traded instead but one or the other have too.

Slug3
01-31-2014, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't want Smith for the minimum. He just seems like a black hole.

TrueFan420
01-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Meh, if they can't trade him, he replaces Monroe when he signs somewhere else in FA at the PF position.

He is awful this year The frustrating part about Smith is he could be so much better if he wasn't an idiot. Terrible shot selection, and his team is playing him largely out of position. But he would still be a top 10 PF if that was his full time position.

If they can't find any takers on smith they'd be smart to trade Monroe before they lose him for nothing. Monroe can net them a solid player that helps their team fit a little better.

Deezy3
01-31-2014, 09:48 PM
I would take Smith on the Grizzlies but not for Randoph and obviously not for Gasol. Ive always liked Smith's game but the Grizz dont have any other real assests to offer.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2014, 09:50 PM
I don't know what he's thinking anymore. I read a article basically saying he doesn't look at any sort of advanced stats and judges on the eye test. I'm not huge on most advanced stats but as a GM about to hand out a 56 mil deal you would think he would do some homework. It was a givin Smith would look like crap playing SF in a line up with twin towers who both need to be within 5 foot of the hoop.

Smith is a very talented player though. If it wasn't for his craving for being a Melo type of player then he could easily be a top 10-15 player. But with this lineup he doesn't have stand a chance to succeed. I wouldn't be completely heart broken if Monroe gets traded instead but one or the other have too.

Well, I think Dumars got caught up in the evolution of basketball. When he first took the job, advanced stats weren't part of the game. Over his tenure, its become ESSENTIAL for GM's to use advanced stats to do a good job.

Might just be an archaic GM hanging on to his job because of initial success at this point...

Hawkeye15
01-31-2014, 09:51 PM
If they can't find any takers on smith they'd be smart to trade Monroe before they lose him for nothing. Monroe can net them a solid player that helps their team fit a little better.

oh sure, that is what i would do

Dade County
01-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Dumars come into my office for a quick second... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9znm34xAm44

Asik's better
01-31-2014, 10:07 PM
I could houston as a potential trade partner for the pistons but pistons have no need for asik so it's a mute point

Hawkeye15
01-31-2014, 10:14 PM
I could houston as a potential trade partner for the pistons but pistons have no need for asik so it's a mute point

you don't want Smith next to Dwight. Smith is the opposite of a "stretch 4". Better off with Jones.

HeaTxRipZz
01-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Noticed the Knicks mentioned. While I like Josh I'm not sure how he would fit. We seem to run better with Melo primarily slotted at the 4. I suppose they are interchangeable on defense where Josh can guard the bigger PFs in the league and Melo has the speed to guard wing players.

Not like it would happen anyways but definitely a bit intriguing

FriedTofuz
01-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Monroe for Amir Johnson + 1st rounder.

TrueFan420
01-31-2014, 10:23 PM

I could see them liking Lin tho. Maybe Lin and some other pieces.

TrueFan420
01-31-2014, 10:26 PM

That doesn't really fit them well but I could seem them interested in Lowry and/or Ross

RipCity32
01-31-2014, 10:29 PM

Makes no sense for us, If we trade Monroe we need a wing.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Boston would take Josh Smith off their hands , but DeT would have to take Crash . That's the only way Smith and Rondo will get to play together .

Stunner
01-31-2014, 10:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ks5v46e and a 2015 pick to DeT

RipCity32
01-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Boston would take Josh Smith off their hands , but DeT would have to take Crash . That's the only way Smith and Rondo will get to play together .

How bout for Green?

*Superman*
01-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Why did they sign him in the first place...

Stunner
01-31-2014, 10:59 PM
How bout for Green?

Would be hard to do , they will most likely still wanna get rid of Wallace contract too. Best for the pistons to get a young player , pick and some expiring for Smith and not ask for the house . He's having a bad year and had a bad contract so you just better just take anything so you can keep Monroe and Drummond .

Stunner
01-31-2014, 10:59 PM
Why did they sign him in the first place...

Because Josh can shoot duh

Phenomenonsense
01-31-2014, 11:37 PM
Because Josh can shoot duh

Lol! Joe D getting senile in his old age.

And I like your trade idea. I would have to take that deal I think.

RipCity32
01-31-2014, 11:38 PM
Give me Rudy Gay for him

king4day
01-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Suns would have no interest. A have enough forward, minus the problems I'm reading he has. I think the idea of that c's trade would be a decent idea if either team were interested. I think crash would fit great there.

kobe4thewinbang
01-31-2014, 11:46 PM
:facepalm:

Why sign him if you wind up wanting to trade him? Don't they think about these things?
And to think, the Pistons were the champions just a decade ago. Sad to see them so confused.

TheMightyHumph
01-31-2014, 11:50 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/31/report-pistons-would-trade-josh-smith-if-they-could/

That sounds about right.

Dumars Pistons wouldn't have a Title without Nets injuries and hard to believe help from the Hawks and the Celtics.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Give me Rudy Gay for him

Lol Kings wouldn't want Smith

kobe4thewinbang
02-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Lol Kings wouldn't want SmithEspecially not with Gay playing better.

Stunner
02-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Lol! Joe D getting senile in his old age.

And I like your trade idea. I would have to take that deal I think.

Thank you man !!!!

RipCity32
02-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Lol Kings wouldn't want Smith

I know, He actually looks pretty good out in Sacramento.

GunFactor187
02-01-2014, 01:51 AM
The original intent of the Smith signing (and the S&T deal for Jennings) was simply to raise the talent level of the team. My oh my how things have fallen...lol.

xxplayerxx23
02-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Oh god no. Knicks don't need another bad shot selection player. Rather let bargs expire next year then take 2 extra years of smith

Kyben36
02-01-2014, 08:39 AM
i really dont know how that team got the way they are. LOL. they have made some good draft choices and a ton of bad free agent pickups.

HoopsMachine
02-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Send Smith and Monroe to the Bulls for Taj and Boozer

Drummond#1
02-01-2014, 09:58 AM

LOLOLOLOL. Are you smoking crack? Maybe Boozer and Butler. Maybe. Monroe has the potential to be a top ten big and Smoove is still a decent PF in his prime. Not to mention Chicago would have the same logjam with Monroe, Smoove, and Noah.

Drummond#1
02-01-2014, 10:01 AM
The Pistons should trade Monroe (unfortunately) or just let him walk after this season. We went from being handcuffed by Ben Gordon to being handcuffed by JSmoth in less than a season. SMDH. They could have had the best young front court in recent times.

HoopsMachine
02-01-2014, 05:06 PM
LOLOLOLOL. Are you smoking crack? Maybe Boozer and Butler. Maybe. Monroe has the potential to be a top ten big and Smoove is still a decent PF in his prime. Not to mention Chicago would have the same logjam with Monroe, Smoove, and Noah.

Wow you are severely underrating Gibson's value, he's one of the best defensive 4's in the league that rim protects, rebounds, has the foot speed to guard wing players on the perimeter for half the price of Josh Smith. Boozer is included in the deal because he is a good fit and would be an expiring next season.

Tell me again what's wrong with this deal? You are going to tell me Monroe has the potential to be a Top 10 big yet let him walk in the off-season for nothing?

Stunner
02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Wow you are severely underrating Gibson's value, he's one of the best defensive 4's in the league that rim protects, rebounds, has the foot speed to guard wing players on the perimeter for half the price of Josh Smith. Boozer is included in the deal because he is a good fit and would be an expiring next season.

Tell me again what's wrong with this deal? You are going to tell me Monroe has the potential to be a Top 10 big yet let him walk in the off-season for nothing?
Bulls don't want Josh smith

P&GRealist
02-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Why make the signing in the first place?

This is why small market teams will have a good 2-3 yr run in a certain span and then be crap for the next 10-15 yrs. Bad basketball decisions, bad financial decisions.

Might as well go for the Smith to Houston for Asik deal already. The butt-buddies Coward and Smoove can go hard with the Bearded one, Justin Timberlake and the Azn Sensation.

P&GRealist
02-01-2014, 05:19 PM

Nobody wants Boozer. He's crap.

Stunner
02-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Nobody wants Boozer. He's crap.

Smith * lol boozer is an expiring contract and will give you a solid 18 and 8 efficiently with no defense . Nobody wants Smith and is awful contract

Goose17
02-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Detroit will need to package Smith with draft picks or some young talent to get anything worthwhile in return imo. Jerebko and Harrellson are nice players, I get the feeling people would be chasing them or Will Bynum maybe depending on the team.

Noticed the Knicks mentioned. While I like Josh I'm not sure how he would fit. We seem to run better with Melo primarily slotted at the 4. I suppose they are interchangeable on defense where Josh can guard the bigger PFs in the league and Melo has the speed to guard wing players.

Not like it would happen anyways but definitely a bit intriguing

You already have one black hole, this isn't a prize out of a cereal box you don't need to collect them all.

Goose17
02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Didn't Rondo say a while back that he wanted to play with Josh Smith?

Rndy
02-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Doubt they will get anything of Value they should trade Monroe for a wing though. Who would have though making Smith a SF wouldn't have worked out?!?!? Next year he'll be back at PF and he'll be fine but having him on the perimeter was a stupid idea the guy thinks he can shoot.

ryder78c
02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Mo williams,Dorell Wright,Meyers Leonard,Victor Claver,Future Draft Pick for Josh Smith,Peyton Siva

Drummond
Monroe
Wright
Caldwell-Pope
Jennings/Mo

Lopez/Freeland
Aldridge/Robinson
Smith/Batum & Matthews
Batum/Matthews
Lillard/McCollum

MiamiBoy77
02-01-2014, 05:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

:)

Stunner
02-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Why do y'all keep putting Smith at the SF spot ? He sucks there

MiamiBoy77
02-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Mo williams,Dorell Wright,Meyers Leonard,Victor Claver,Future Draft Pick for Josh Smith,Peyton Siva

Drummond
Monroe
Wright
Caldwell-Pope
Jennings/Mo

Lopez/Freeland
Aldridge/Robinson
Smith/Batum & Matthews
Batum/Matthews
Lillard/McCollum

Portland would be better off with

Lillard-Matthews-Batum-Smith-Aldridge

detzfish
02-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Portland would make sense but idk for who. Although I don't think the pistons should trade smith. The pistons problem right now is coaching. Cheeks is dumb as hell

nyKnicks126
02-01-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't think I would even trade JR. Smith for Josh Smith.. What a loser.. He is all about the money..

Deception
02-01-2014, 07:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

:)

Wow great trade!

On a serious note, do people still not know how to post trade links?

Deception
02-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I don't think I would even trade JR. Smith for Josh Smith.. What a loser.. He is all about the money..

Lol you can keep JR, Josh Smith may be an idiot on the court, but JR is an idiot everywhere he goes.

RipCity32
02-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Monroe and Drummond actually got touches tonight

Monroe- 21pts (8-10), 12rebs, 4 stls

Drummond- 22pts (10-11), 14rebs, 5 blks

**** Smith, That's some efficient basketball, It was against the Sixers but still.

NBA_Starter
02-01-2014, 11:55 PM
It sounds like a move the Bobcats would make even though winning now is not so smart.

leafswin2011
02-02-2014, 12:16 AM
fields for smith?

Rndy
02-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Why do y'all keep putting Smith at the SF spot ? He sucks there

Not exactly the smartest group of people? Who the hell would want Smith at SF? DET continues to show they have no idea wtf they are doing. Iverson, Charlie Villanueva, Gordon, and now Smith. Can't believe this is the same gm of the early 2000s Pistons. Not really sure how to explain that one

Deception
02-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Not exactly the smartest group of people? Who the hell would want Smith at SF? DET continues to show they have no idea wtf they are doing. Iverson, Charlie Villanueva, Gordon, and now Smith. Can't believe this is the same gm of the early 2000s Pistons. Not really sure how to explain that one

Josh doesn't really spend many minutes playing a SF. Drummond will sub out, Monroe will move to the 5, Smith to the 4, Singler to the 3. Drummond comes back in later for Monroe and the rotation of big men continue.

LA_Raiders
02-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Nobody is taking his bad contract, except for celtics wallas' bad contract. I thing he can play well next to rondo

Stunner
02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Detroit would prob eat Wallace contract seeing it's shorter in years

dangrant75
02-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Celtics wouldn't deal for Smith now, IF that's what Danny wants to do. Adding Smith now only makes us better in turn getting a lower draft pick, but a draft night deal wouldn't surprise me

Raps08-09 Champ
02-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Lakers get Smith, Pistons get Okafor, Suns get Gasol.

IversonIsKrazy
02-02-2014, 11:22 PM
I remember last year I was hoping Spurs would trade for him for Stephen Jackson + Tiago Splitter + Cory Joseph. I still feel he would've fit well on the Spurs as starting PF next to Duncan, making their defense better. I don't know about him anymore tho, how much is this guys contract now?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-02-2014, 11:27 PM

They would? Rondo told Danny to go after Smith in the off-season and he said no. I doubt that's changed now.

D-Leethal
02-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Josh doesn't really spend many minutes playing a SF. Drummond will sub out, Monroe will move to the 5, Smith to the 4, Singler to the 3. Drummond comes back in later for Monroe and the rotation of big men continue.

You can't have a successful team that requires your 3 best players never seeing the court together for extended time.

Deception
02-03-2014, 11:40 AM
You can't have a successful team that requires your 3 best players never seeing the court together for extended time.

I agree with you, I was responding to the claims that he only plays SF. I really think that Josh Smith is hindering Monroe's game and Monroe is hindering Smith's game. Once one of them is dealt, I think the fluidity of our offense will improve.

D-Leethal
02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
I agree with you, I was responding to the claims that he only plays SF. I really think that Josh Smith is hindering Monroe's game and Monroe is hindering Smith's game. Once one of them is dealt, I think the fluidity of our offense will improve.

Agreed. I think with Drummond there Smith is honestly a better fit as a long term 4. I think both guys would flourish in a faster tempo with more spacing. Monroe is definitely a stud and better than Smith, but I'm not sure he and Drummond fit all that well in the front court together. Monroe needs a slow team where he can post, I think Drummond needs a faster team where he can trail the break, trail the penetration and clean up everything around the glass for monster lobs, dunks, putbacks. I think Monroe posting on the block makes that difficult.

Deception
02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Agreed. I think with Drummond there Smith is honestly a better fit as a long term 4. I think both guys would flourish in a faster tempo with more spacing. Monroe is definitely a stud and better than Smith, but I'm not sure he and Drummond fit all that well in the front court together. Monroe needs a slow team where he can post, I think Drummond needs a faster team where he can trail the break, trail the penetration and clean up everything around the glass for monster lobs, dunks, putbacks. I think Monroe posting on the block makes that difficult.

Which is why I'm not too sure we should eat crow trading Josh. If we can trade Monroe for Barnes or another wing player, I think our offense and defense will improve.

JOSKOMANG4
02-03-2014, 03:44 PM
- Monroe, Charlie V, and stuckey to celtics for rajon rondo & Gerald Wallace.

Pistons lineup:

Drummond, smith, Wallace, Jennings, rondo.

Bench: Bynum, KCP, jerebko, harrelson, billups, singler.

Monroe, Sullinger, Green, stuckey, Bradley

Bench: charlie V, Bogans, olynyk, Bayless, hump

RipCity32
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
- Monroe, Charlie V, and stuckey to celtics for rajon rondo & Gerald Wallace.

Pistons lineup:

Drummond, smith, Wallace, Jennings, rondo.

Bench: Bynum, KCP, jerebko, harrelson, billups, singler.

Monroe, Sullinger, Green, stuckey, Bradley

Bench: charlie V, Bogans, olynyk, Bayless, hump

No thanks, We aren't taking on that contract while trading Monroe.

sunsfan88
02-03-2014, 07:53 PM
I remember back in 2008 I wanted the Suns to trade Amare for Smith and picks.

SPURSFAN1
02-03-2014, 07:58 PM
The guy plays garbage defense, chucks the ball, and gets paid like a superstar while being too short to play pf and to slow to play sf. Is anyone going to pick him up? 13.5mil for 3 more years past this one.

mrblisterdundee
02-03-2014, 08:00 PM
It seems the Piston's best option is to trade Monroe. Nobody's taking on their terrible contract given to Smith.

Stunner
02-03-2014, 08:06 PM
What about Philly ? Turner , Hawes and a future 1st for Josh Smith ?

mrblisterdundee
02-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Maybe the Pistons should engage a trade partner feared by many other GMs: The Lakers.
Maybe offer up Josh Smith and a role player in exchange for Steve Nash, Jordan Hill, Xavier Henry and Jodie Meeks.
Detroit will have to accept getting screwed in the deal, if it wants to open up the necessary space for its front court and get out of Smith's horrible contract. And maybe Nash can teach Jennings a thing or two before his contract's up in a couple of years. I don't think Chauncey Billups is doing much on that front.
On Los Angeles' side, they get a complimentary star who wouldn't have an issue being the third banana behind Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. Smith plays defense and actually fits well into the kind of system D'Antoni wants to run, if the Lakers are stupid enough to keep D'Antoni their head coach.

2_Trill
02-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Smith is not the problem, trading him would be a mistake. Detroit needs shooters!

mrblisterdundee
02-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Smith is not the problem, trading him would be a mistake. Detroit needs shooters!

Detroit does need shooters, but they also need to not be playing a power forward, a power forward-center combo and a center all in one front court. Either Smith or Monroe is the problem. One of them has to go and be replaced by shooters of the small forward or smaller variety.

detzfish
02-03-2014, 09:52 PM
They just need to have 2 of the 3 (Drummond smith Monroe) in at all times and each play about 32 minutes a game. They shouldn't trade one of there best players just because he plays the same position as another good player. If a nice deal comes along yeah you have to consider but until that time I wouldn't just get rid of him to get rid of his contract.

If smith is dealt for a sf, that leaves the pistons bench bigs as jerebko, Villanueva and harrellson. No thanks on all that.

mrblisterdundee
02-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Philadelphia trades Evan Turner and Jason Richardson to Detroit for Josh Smith.
The Pistons get rid of a player with a horrible contract who doesn't fit with the rest of the lineup. Turner's a talented young (25) small forward who, albeit a lesser defender than Smith, can also distribute well. Richardson's an expiring contract and a scoring punch off the bench.
When Noel comes back, the 76'ers will have the most athletic front court in the NBA, with him at center, Smith at power forward and Young at small forward.
I know the deal seems pretty unfair for the Pistons, but it's not anyone else's fault their general manager screwed up. They'll have to accept less, because teams know Detroit's in a tight situation with too many big men.

RipCity32
02-04-2014, 01:24 AM
The Pistons get rid of a player with a horrible contract who doesn't fit with the rest of the lineup. Turner's a talented young (25) small forward who, albeit a lesser defender than Smith, can also distribute well. Richardson's an expiring contract and a scoring punch off the bench.
When Noel comes back, the 76'ers will have the most athletic front court in the NBA, with him at center, Smith at power forward and Young at small forward.
I know the deal seems pretty unfair for the Pistons, but it's not anyone else's fault their general manager screwed up. They'll have to accept less, because teams know Detroit's in a tight situation with too many big men.

That wouldn't be a bad deal at all. I would be ecstatic if that happened.

eDush
02-04-2014, 05:05 AM

That wouldn't be a bad deal at all. I would be ecstatic if that happened.

Why don't the both of you take off your "homer" hat for a moment when making stupid trades okay? That wouldn't be a bad deal at all? ...the deal seems unfair for the Pistons??

LMAO!!! it would be an awesome deal for the Pistons but a horrid one for the Sixers to give up a very good talent in Turner with a shorter contract just to take on a mistake by the Pistons with one of the worst contract anyone can imagine. In other words, it will NEVER happen. You would think they learn their lesson with bad deal after the Bynum experiment.

mark1125
02-04-2014, 07:57 AM
It seems the Piston's best option is to trade Monroe. Nobody's taking on their terrible contract given to Smith.

Honestly, the contract is not that bad. Smith just is in a bad situation playing SF. if he goes to the right team who could slot him at PF, he could very well earn that contract. Detroit just made a bad decision and are now paying the price.

For the Pistons to return to glory, it sadly requires that Dumars get canned. Thanks for your days as a player and early years of being a GM. The game has evolved and JD has not. Then.....Cheeks needs to go. He is not a good coach to start with and has lost control of his team.

Pistons either need to unload Monroe for a quality SF OR Smith for anything even close to reasonable.

Sad to see a team that was one of the best for a decade flounder in mediocrity because of their unwillingness to pull the plug on an obviously subpar GM.

joeyc77
02-04-2014, 09:10 AM

The Sixers wants no part in this type if deal. They have been there and done that with big contracts for non superstars. The Sixers are building through the draft and maintaining cap flexibility for the time being.

Also, since you like Thad Young at SF so much, how about trading the Pistons trading the Sixers a future 1st and Monroe for him? That way the Pistons can have the athletic front court of Thad, J Smith and Drummond.

GoferKing_
02-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Give me Smith and 1st rd pick for Jimmer/MT/Thomas, JT/Landry/Gay. xD

LanceUpperCut
02-04-2014, 10:13 AM
What about Philly ? Turner , Hawes and a future 1st for Josh Smith ?

Why on earth would Philly do that?

FriedTofuz
02-04-2014, 09:55 PM
I think if detroit includes a 1st rounder, they can trade Smith for Andrea Bargnani. He's an expiring in 2015. It would help both teams and melo could play the 3 spot again. Smith and Chandler down low would help alot for the knicks.

Westbrook36
02-04-2014, 10:12 PM
There is no chance that the 76ers make a move for J-Smoove, legit a .1%. If it happened my jaw would drop twenty five times consecutively. We are (Hinkie) building this team up the right way, through the draft and potential. We've already got Noel & MCW as our start for the future with two potential lotto picks this season (Pelicans + 76ers), there is NO reason to add a salary/player such as Josh Smith into that equation. He just wouldn't put us into a position to make any type of noise. Turner/Thad are both good players, but they likely won't both be part of the long term plan. If anything Turner is moved for a younger talent and/or first rounder.

RipCity32
02-04-2014, 10:18 PM
I think if detroit includes a 1st rounder, they can trade Smith for Andrea Bargnani. He's an expiring in 2015. It would help both teams and melo could play the 3 spot again. Smith and Chandler down low would help alot for the knicks.

I would rather just keep him then send out another first. Dumars already gave up a first to sign him. If Monroe wasn't in a contract year I think he would be coming off the bench making a great Frontcourt rotation. So if all else fails I would just resign Monroe and sign a SF in free agency or possibly trade some of our expirings for one if we can.

If we can't find a good trade for Monroe then just keep him because we definatley have the funds with another 20 mil coming off the books. Monroe covering the 4&5 off the bench would be nice.

NBA_Starter
02-04-2014, 11:13 PM
I would rather just keep him then send out another first. Dumars already gave up a first to sign him. If Monroe wasn't in a contract year I think he would be coming off the bench making a great Frontcourt rotation. So if all else fails I would just resign Monroe and sign a SF in free agency or possibly trade some of our expirings for one if we can.

If we can't find a good trade for Monroe then just keep him because we definatley have the funds with another 20 mil coming off the books. Monroe covering the 4&5 off the bench would be nice.

I agree with you there, hopefully Dumars has learned his lesson.

TrueFan420
02-04-2014, 11:19 PM

Problem is that Monroe will be searching for top dollar... Can you guys afford to offer him that?

RipCity32
02-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Problem is that Monroe will be searching for top dollar... Can you guys afford to offer him that?

We have the funds for sure. The only big contracts we have is Jennings at 8mil and Smith at 13mil. When Drummond gets his new deal Smith will be on a expiring and should be easy to move. If we can't find a good wing through FA or trade then I can't see Dumars just letting go of Monroe for nothing or giving him up in some crap trade.

Vampirate
02-04-2014, 11:36 PM
It's not that hard to trade Josh Smith, just phone the knicks and ask for a trade for Amare, boom instant trade.

NBA_Starter
02-04-2014, 11:41 PM
It's not that hard to trade Josh Smith, just phone the knicks and ask for a trade for Amare, boom instant trade.

He has looked better but I don't know.

FlashBolt
02-05-2014, 03:49 AM
I knew it would be a bad fit. Smith has been horrible this season. He would fit well in Phoenix or something.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Josh Smith to PHX for the expiring contract of Okafor + Gerald Green + 1 of those four first round picks they have

Smith would thrive in PHX as a PF and DET gets out if that contract while keeping the young talented Monroe

LTBaByyy
02-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Detroit likes throwing all of their money at once

Gordon & Villineuva

Jennings & Smith

I would have got Jennings for sure but that would have been it

Jennings
KCP
Singler
Monroe
Drummond

Then this offseason they would've have so much cap space to throw at a guy that I would even overpay just like they did Smith to get this guy that would have been perfect for them that's going to be a free agent: Gordon Hayward

Jennings
KCP
Hayward
Monroe
Drummond

That line up would be scary in a few years when they all reach their prime

RipCity32
02-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Josh Smith to PHX for the expiring contract of Okafor + Gerald Green + 1 of those four first round picks they have

Smith would thrive in PHX as a PF and DET gets out if that contract while keeping the young talented Monroe

This would be nice, I have no doubts he would play a lot better in Phx. Detroit so playing him with 2 centers and putting him out on the perimeter as are #1 option lol.

Ty_Lawson
02-05-2014, 11:08 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mppj9au

koreancabbage
02-05-2014, 11:14 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mppj9au

can't even move Javale since he's hurt.

ManRam
02-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Detroit likes throwing all of their money at once

Gordon & Villineuva

Jennings & Smith

I would have got Jennings for sure but that would have been it

Jennings
KCP
Singler
Monroe
Drummond

Then this offseason they would've have so much cap space to throw at a guy that I would even overpay just like they did Smith to get this guy that would have been perfect for them that's going to be a free agent: Gordon Hayward

Jennings
KCP
Hayward
Monroe
Drummond

That line up would be scary in a few years when they all reach their prime

I wasn't at all big on the Smith signing, and bet on the under for Detroit's win total this year because of it. I agree that getting Jennings was the right move.

However, Hayward, while being a good fit for sure, isn't gonna be a FA. He re-signed before the season started. He's locked up with Utah.

ManRam
02-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I'd love to give Afflalo to Detroit, but I can't see a deal worth our time. I have no interest in Monroe because we already have a solid offensive/rebounding center who doesn't play great defense. Don't need another. Obviously Orlando has zero interest in Smith. Detroit does have expirings, but they don't really have a tempting youthful asset to pair with it...or this year's 1st rounder. Unless they wanna bail on KCP already.

RipCity32
02-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Smith, Datome and Siva to Washington

Webster, Porter and Vesely to Detroit

RipCity32
02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
I'd love to give Afflalo to Detroit, but I can't see a deal worth our time. I have no interest in Monroe because we already have a solid offensive/rebounding center who doesn't play great defense. Don't need another. Obviously Orlando has zero interest in Smith. Detroit does have expirings, but they don't really have a tempting youthful asset to pair with it...or this year's 1st rounder. Unless they wanna bail on KCP already.

The only deal I could see would probably involve KCP but I would hate to lose him already, Hes a stud defensively.

eDush
02-07-2014, 01:45 AM
I agree with you there, hopefully Dumars has learned his lesson.

The Bu..baa...baaa....Billups for AI trade was the start of a string of bad trades from him. If anyone can tell me why Stuckley hasn't been traded after all this time is that he keeps players he likes, not whether they can help the team win or not. Ball don't lie!

SluggeR
02-07-2014, 02:06 AM
How many draft picks do the pistons have..

RipCity32
02-07-2014, 02:10 AM
How many draft picks do the pistons have..

The only one we have handcuffed is with the Bobcats but it sucks because it's only top8 protected this year and unprotected after that. It's looking like were going to lose it this year in a loaded draft **** Dumars.