PDA

View Full Version : Nick Young is about to Get Paid....

Tony_Starks
01-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Swaggy P has apparently set himself up for a nice contract. He has a player option to take the minimum, but it seems like he will probably be in high demand on the open market. Like a JR Smith situation.

I hope we re-sign him but what kind of offer should he be presented with?

theducksmuggler
01-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Everyone knows he is capable of scoring on bad teams...i dont see him gettin paid to well

curtcocaine
01-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Swag god

Jetsguy
01-31-2014, 12:47 PM
He will certainly get more than the min he is slated to make. He would be a great 6th man on a good team IMO

J4KOP99
01-31-2014, 12:50 PM
who would you rather have, nick young or nate robinson?

ManRam
Swaggy P has apparently set himself up for a nice contract. He has a player option to take the minimum, but it seems like he will probably be in high demand on the open market. Like a JR Smith situation.

I hope we re-sign him but what kind of offer should he be presented with?

And like a JR Smith situation, it won't play out well.

He's a nice bench player who can shoot you into some games, but yeah...all he can do is score, and he's not even terribly efficient at that. It's a very empty 17 points a game. I'd imagine that most GMs are wise enough not to give him JR Smith money.

He obviously won't accept that minimum contract, and the contract with LA was a really good move.

What should you guys offer him? IDK...how about 5 years 70 million? ;)

2-ONE-5
of course he will get over the min but hes not "about to get paid" in the way being suggested.

ManRam
01-31-2014, 12:51 PM

Nate's been a better player throughout his career. Nate in a heartbeat.

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2014, 12:54 PM
He's not getting paid

UPRock
01-31-2014, 12:59 PM
He's a perfect 6th man

D-Leethal
01-31-2014, 01:21 PM
4M per year is the MAX I see him making. Probably 3 years 10 mill with a team option for year 3.

SPURSFAN1
01-31-2014, 01:30 PM
People watch the lakers cause of this dude. He already made the team a lot of money.

BoSox47
01-31-2014, 01:30 PM

probably nate to be honest.

BoSox47
01-31-2014, 01:31 PM
People watch the lakers cause of this dude. He already made the team a lot of money.

He is just simply taking a bunch of shots per game.

bholly
01-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure in what way you think he's going to get paid or how he's setting himself up. 2013-14 Nick Young is pretty much exactly what people already knew Nick Young was. He isn't going to get loaded up on a major contract. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get a long contract at all - his valuation and teams' valuations of him are different enough that he could easily end up on another mid-level short term thing while he tries to increase his value.

Goose17
01-31-2014, 01:37 PM
16 points on 42%.

He can get you buckets but does very little else, would make a decent 6th man. Doubt he gets paid big.

As for what else he brings? Well he's a character, people enjoy watching him being interviewed and even to an extent watching him play, mainly because of the "swag" (casual fans are lapping it up).

He'll probably stay in La La Land if they make him an offer.

conway429
01-31-2014, 01:50 PM
cant believe he's almost 29

xabial
01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
4M per year is the MAX I see him making. Probably 3 years 10 mill with a team option for year 3.

Thats literally almost the same contract Carlos Delfino got. Nick Young is better than Carlos Delfino so I don't think so.

kobe4thewinbang
01-31-2014, 02:10 PM
He has been playing quite well for the Lakers. But let's be honest, he's still just a chucker.
I could see him raking in 3-6 million, maybe. But like I said, he needs to improve as a player.

Sadds The Gr8
01-31-2014, 02:16 PM
no he isn't.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Someone is going to waste a lot of money then.

My guess; Joe Dumass.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Thats literally almost the same contract Carlos Delfino got. Nick Young is better than Carlos Delfino so I don't think so.

Nick Young is not doing anything that Delfino couldn't do with the same opportunity.

Chronz
01-31-2014, 02:40 PM
I dont think GM's are that dumb anymore, the guy is producing at the same rate he always has, didn't help him land a big deal with LA

Chronz
01-31-2014, 02:43 PM

I think its pretty comparable but Delfino is easily a better defender/intangibles guy, also Delfino was coming off a career year and joining a small market team that already had some familiarity with him

Ill21
01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
He's not getting paid

Probably a contract a little smaller than JR Smith's

ManRam
01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
I dont think GM's are that dumb anymore, the guy is producing at the same rate he always has, didn't help him land a big deal with LA

I wouldn't put it past a few of them. Those teams that are close, already have a ton of money invested, and looking to maybe get over the hump....well, we've seen dumber moves from those teams in recent years. I saw Otis do it in Orlando, and fail. Obviously the NY teams have done it, and failed. I don't think we have a league where desperate GMs don't exist quite yet.

I will agree with the OP that his stock is higher than it entering this season. He's playing 30 minutes a game and scoring a tad more efficiently than years past. He's gone from a one-year minimum player to a guy who probably can land a multi-year deal for something semi-decent.

Tony_Starks
01-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Nick isn't just getting buckets. This is the best D he's ever played in his life. For a horrible Coach might I add. I'm seeing 3 years, 15 milli.....

Tony_Starks
01-31-2014, 04:06 PM

Chronz I just saw a article saying SG's are at a premium and Nick is at the top of the list. I know personally he's a LA kid so I wouldn't overpay him but somebody will.

And lets keep in mind JR could've got paid more but decided to stay in his hometown. Just like Nick......

Stunner
01-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Hes no Lance Stephenson lol Knicks passed on him twice and got Jr

chitownredbulls
01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
He'll probably wind up with around 8 mill a year for 3 years IMO

Marcus Thornton
Jeremy Lin type of money

bholly
01-31-2014, 04:47 PM

Marcus Thornton
Jeremy Lin type of money

He isn't doing anything he hasn't done before - he put up very very similar numbers his last two years with Washington. Since then he had to settle for a year at $5.6m with Philly and then a year at the minimum with LAL.

So I'm not sure why anyone would expect that he's suddenly going to jump up to $24m over 3.

The only thing that's changed since 2-3 seasons ago is increased exposure because he's in LAL now. It shouldn't be a surprise that fans suddenly think he's more valuable, but don't expect the GMs to be fooled into it - who he is right now is who they've known he is (and who they refused to pay) for years.

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Probably a contract a little smaller than JR Smith's

Agreed. Something 4 mill a year range max

flea
01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
I hope the Lakers do overpay him. I thought all franchises learned their lesson about no-defense chuckers, but I guess not.

Chronz
01-31-2014, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't put it past a few of them. Those teams that are close, already have a ton of money invested, and looking to maybe get over the hump....well, we've seen dumber moves from those teams in recent years. I saw Otis do it in Orlando, and fail. Obviously the NY teams have done it, and failed. I don't think we have a league where desperate GMs don't exist quite yet.

I will agree with the OP that his stock is higher than it entering this season. He's playing 30 minutes a game and scoring a tad more efficiently than years past. He's gone from a one-year minimum player to a guy who probably can land a multi-year deal for something semi-decent.

Its his best season since being able to control his own destiny but its not far off from what hes done in prior stretches (O-RTG is down despite increased TS%, usage is up tho, pretty much in line with his skill curve). That said, the OP's argument about market demand is a more valid one.

Chronz
01-31-2014, 05:02 PM
He isn't doing anything he hasn't done before - he put up very very similar numbers his last two years with Washington. Since then he had to settle for a year at $5.6m with Philly and then a year at the minimum with LAL.

So I'm not sure why anyone would expect that he's suddenly going to jump up to $24m over 3.

The only thing that's changed since 2-3 seasons ago is increased exposure because he's in LAL now. It shouldn't be a surprise that fans suddenly think he's more valuable, but don't expect the GMs to be fooled into it - who he is right now is who they've known he is (and who they refused to pay) for years.
Philly is a great example of a team that was desperate then, they gave him 5.6 M off the heels of a standard Young season, only he was coming off a brilliant playoff stretch by his standards.

Chronz
01-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Marcus Thornton
Jeremy Lin type of money

Woah. Hes no where near as productive as they were back then, doubt its that big.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
y is he called swaggy P???
WHY???

he has no P in his entire name..haha
so til i find out why swaggy P ima just assume
his pee got swag thus swaggy PEE...HAHA

dtmagnet
01-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Swaggy P has got to be the dumbest nickname in sports.

chi-townlove1
01-31-2014, 07:10 PM
He would be a nice fit in the bulls system next year for the right price. Him and jimmy and dunleavy and snellcould rotate from the 2 and 3

Tony_Starks
02-01-2014, 12:05 AM
16 points on 42%.

He can get you buckets but does very little else, would make a decent 6th man. Doubt he gets paid big.

As for what else he brings? Well he's a character, people enjoy watching him being interviewed and even to an extent watching him play, mainly because of the "swag" (casual fans are lapping it up).

He'll probably stay in La La Land if they make him an offer.

In the words of Samuel L Jackson "he's got personality, and that goes a long way!"

koreancabbage
02-01-2014, 12:07 AM
lol he's not getting paid. just a chucker.

SPURSFAN1
02-01-2014, 12:10 AM
7 mil a year, but only for entertainment purposes.

WES KOAST
02-01-2014, 12:28 AM
nick young ASG!!!

Cal827
02-01-2014, 01:12 AM
nick young ASG!!!

^ Better Choice than Joe Johnson lol

He'll get some money this offseason, but as long as he stays the **** away from Toronto. I don't know why, but like Jamal Crawford, he's one of the guys who keeps going off on our damn team lol

MrfadeawayJB
02-01-2014, 01:15 AM
I see a mid level as his best case scenario. I'd be mad if my team paid him more than ~$5 mil a season

Iron24th
02-01-2014, 02:19 AM
I like him, but I see him as a 4-5M per year, not more.

RLundi
02-01-2014, 02:43 AM
No one's going to pay him. He's a complete head case, chucker and best suited as a reserve. Who's going to outbid themselves stupidly and offer top dollar for that?

Besides the Knicks, I mean.

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Whoever pays him is stupid. Max I would go is 4Mill. But truthfully i wouldn't want him in Phoenix.

Chrisclover
02-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Swaggy P is a good 6th man but he lacks the skill set and mentality to go further. He likes making fun, just like Howard.

PurpleLynch
02-01-2014, 08:06 AM
I dunno. Honestly if Lakers FO wants to resign him,they must prepare a good plan before.I'd like to have him even next years,but without a plan,we give money to a scorer off the bench.And our need now is to rebuild with what is left:Kobe's huge contract for 2 years.So you have to be extremely diligent to make contracts even to players like Young that are enjoying staying in LA and playing well.

king4day
02-01-2014, 08:51 AM
He'll get what Nate's getting. Nate had a great year last season but still didn't get 'paid'.

nycericanguy
02-01-2014, 09:47 AM
And like a JR Smith situation, it won't play out well.

He's a nice bench player who can shoot you into some games, but yeah...all he can do is score, and he's not even terribly efficient at that. It's a very empty 17 points a game. I'd imagine that most GMs are wise enough not to give him JR Smith money.

He obviously won't accept that minimum contract, and the contract with LA was a really good move.

What should you guys offer him? IDK...how about 5 years 70 million? ;)

yea JR at least averaged 5.3rpg, 2.7apg and 1.3spg and was the #2 option on a 54 win team... he def did more than score last year, and had been a key contributor on very good DEN teams as well...

Nick young gets just over 1 apg and less than 3rpg, he literally does nothing but score on a horrible team. i don't see him getting the $6m that JR got, probably around half that.

Drummond#1
02-01-2014, 09:55 AM
He will probably stay with LAL for incentives and fanbase... Because anywhere else he is just a second string guard. I would take Marcus Thornton over Swaggy P.