PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Morey: Royce White Could Be Considered Worst First Round Pick Ever

sunsfan88
01-31-2014, 04:12 AM
Royce White has yet to appear in an NBA game and was called the "worst first round pick ever" by Daryl Morey.

Morey drafted White with the 16th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft for the Houston Rockets.

"I take some sort of pride in that you could argue that Royce White is the worst first-round pick ever," Morey said in an interview with season ticket holders.

White has struggled with an anxiety disorder and has expressed concerns with how the Rockets handled his condition.

White was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers in the offseason and subsequently released.

"He's the only one that never played a minute in the NBA that wasn't just a foreign guy staying in Europe," Morey said. "It just shows we swing for the fence."

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/6068/daryl-morey-omer-asik-rockets/

White responds via Twitter by retweeting that link from SportsCenter and retweeting a bunch of other hateful tweets

https://twitter.com/Highway_30

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-31-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't think it is. It was a mid first rounder in a weak draft. Those types of picks are hit and miss often. You have to see who was taken behind him to see if they really missed out. Right now the worst picks would be Bowie over Hakeem and Jordan and Oden over Durant.

DaBUU
01-31-2014, 12:49 PM
A little uncalled for if you ask me. To label a guy like that when he obviously has other issues not related to basketball, is unprofessional imo. He's a bust no doubt, but just say we missed on the pick, not he's 'the worst ever'.

nycericanguy
01-31-2014, 01:00 PM
A little uncalled for if you ask me. To label a guy like that when he obviously has other issues not related to basketball, is unprofessional imo. He's a bust no doubt, but just say we missed on the pick, not he's 'the worst ever'.

yea that's kind of a cheap shot, surprised Morey would call him out like that. I read a lot of other GM"s have been put off by Morey's arrogance and that's why he hasn't been able to move Asik or Lin.

amak316
01-31-2014, 01:05 PM
I think it's fair game for Morey to take this shot. Royce to me seems like a con artist and really took Houston to the cleaners without intention of playing. He lied religiously throughout his season with the rockets, only showed up when they threatened to withhold pay, gained tons of weight, knocked up tons of women and just in general was a terrible human being.

In the end he costed Houston a ton (mid 1st rounder, cap space last year and had to give up assets just to get him off the books) and was a migraine all year for them.

SlimKid
01-31-2014, 01:40 PM
The only one to blame for this is Morey. His statement is a bit stupid considering he made the pick in the first place, but at least he acknowledged (sort of) that he f'd up on it.

DallasTrilla23
01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
I don't think it is. It was a mid first rounder in a weak draft.

that draft was far from weak.

Sadds The Gr8
01-31-2014, 02:29 PM
he's right.

Spacolie716
01-31-2014, 02:45 PM
I don't think it is. It was a mid first rounder in a weak draft. Those types of picks are hit and miss often. You have to see who was taken behind him to see if they really missed out. Right now the worst picks would be Bowie over Hakeem and Jordan and Oden over Durant.

Hakeem was the first overall pick... Bowie was taken 2nd and Jordan 3rd.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 02:50 PM
^you're on thin ice spacolie

DreamShaker
01-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Weird statement. He was the worst pick DM has made.

True Sports Fan
01-31-2014, 03:13 PM
A little uncalled for if you ask me. To label a guy like that when he obviously has other issues not related to basketball, is unprofessional imo. This.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 03:22 PM
I think we can all agree that Morey is a punk after this statement. Damn good at what he does, but this is unnecessary.

Nick O
01-31-2014, 03:36 PM
i have no problem with this. i get he has issues. but he exploits the hell out of it. i dont know what white is going through but he comes off as a bit of a *****. why even enter into the draft if youre afraid to travel and have all these other concerns/ do you not know what playing in the nba entails? i mean there have been some bad picks whove never played. but i believe white ya is the first american do be choseen in the lottery and never play but i imagine he wouldnt have sucked. i wouldnt draft a player wiith his issues. ya its wrong. but i dont see it happening again. hes set the stage horribly for any future players with mental illness. well done

Dcup
01-31-2014, 03:44 PM
i have no problem with this. i get he has issues. but he exploits the hell out of it. i dont know what white is going through but he comes off as a bit of a *****. why even enter into the draft if youre afraid to travel and have all these other concerns/ do you not know what playing in the nba entails? i mean there have been some bad picks whove never played. but i believe white ya is the first american do be choseen in the lottery and never play but i imagine he wouldnt have sucked. i wouldnt draft a player wiith his issues. ya its wrong. but i dont see it happening again. hes set the stage horribly for any future players with mental illness. well done

He wasn't selected in the lottery and don't you think if Morey had reservations against picking him in the first place that he should of just went ahead and NOT picked him. Top ten talent had already slid to #16 - maybe Morey should have done more research.

sunsfan88
01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
White told teams before the draft that he's over his anxiety problems and that he will be fine to play and travel in the NBA.

Then immediately once he signed his contract, all that changed.

Guy was looking for a paycheck and scammed Houston.

Nick O
01-31-2014, 03:52 PM
He wasn't selected in the lottery and don't you think if Morey had reservations against picking him in the first place that he should of just went ahead and NOT picked him. Top ten talent had already slid to #16 - maybe Morey should have done more research.

my mistake but i just dont think it was wise at all. my main point is its sets a bad precedent. alot of people have mental illness. its a solid bet another good young player with a mental illness will come around. and the royce white fiasco will probably negatively and unfairly affect that young mans draft status. its sad but true. if youre a GM are you really gonna risk taking a kid with mental illness in the first round after seeing what royce white did? i wouldnt. its unfair but royce hurt other people with his condition by doing this

Asik's better
01-31-2014, 10:05 PM
I felt sorry for Royce White for a long time and was probably one last houston fans to defend him. But I lost all respect for during that OKC series. Instead of being a team player, he started to call out durant which gave him motivation to go off on Houston. That showed me that he dosn't even care about his team mates who stood by him. And let's not forgot during that messy period Royce was constantly attacking houston and Morey while Morey didn't say a thing. To think, this all started over which doctor Royce should see.

Missing56&33
02-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Any GM that would draft a player that's afraid to fly is a idiot.

rhino17
02-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Glad he said it. Royce white is a chump