PDA

View Full Version : Where will taking Oden over Durant rank all time

JordansBulls
01-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Where will taking Oden over Durant rank all time for draft blunders? Only other one I can think of that was worse was taking Bowie over MJ. Any others that is in the running? Maybe Darko over Wade possibly???

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-31-2014, 12:45 AM
Where will taking Oden over Durant rank all time for draft blunders? Only other one I can think of that was worse was taking Bowie over MJ. Any others that is in the running? Maybe Darko over Wade possibly???

Darko over wade? Really? His issue isn't talent, it's health.

I guess it depends if oden can ever resemble his potential or how good durant will be.

ichitownclowni
01-31-2014, 12:46 AM
It's not like anyone knew this would happen.

holditdown
01-31-2014, 12:52 AM

Everybody who saw Durant at Texas knew this was a natural scorer.

ichitownclowni
01-31-2014, 12:53 AM

Everybody who saw Durant at Texas knew this was a natural scorer. I meant the fact that Oden has barley played in his career.

Kevj77
01-31-2014, 12:55 AM
Injuries suck. Oden wasn't lacking talent.

holditdown
01-31-2014, 12:57 AM
I meant the fact that Oden has barley played in his career.

Oh. Got you.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-31-2014, 01:01 AM
Those are the two that come to my mind in terms of top draft selections. But there are plenty you can look at later on in the draft.

Sumaki Walker, Todd Fuller, and Vitaly Potapenko were all drafted ahead of Kobe and Nash. That type of stuff should get a GM fired

DreamShaker
01-31-2014, 01:20 AM
It is going to look worse as time progresses. Truth is, we will never know. Grant Hill and Penny could and should have been top 30 all-time players at least. We saw enough to know that. We barely saw Oden. He is almost as mysterious as Len Bias. Unlimited potential oblitherated by injury. But how it turned out...is obviously a huge bummer. Imagine Durant, LA, and a healthy Roy in Portland. But all of that is speculation. Guys like Darko proved he sucked. A true bust. Oden was just a complete unknown who is currently fighting to be a 10th man. So hindsight it's a disaster they passed on Durant. But if all GM's had hindsight, no GM would ever get fired. Except maybe Isiah.

tmacsc2
01-31-2014, 01:27 AM
I meant the fact that Oden has barley played in his career.

I knew it would happen. Dude has knee injuries his whole life. Obviously not to the severity but I knew he would get injured.

Riodagoat
01-31-2014, 01:46 AM
Not a valid comparison because Oden's career was due to poor health, not lack of talent.
This isn't like the Milicic, Kwame, or Adam Morrison pick where they all stank like a bucket of crap.

Have you seen Joel Embiid play? He's projected to be drafted first this coming draft and I would probably too. That's how much skill and potential Oden had before the draft. Ironically, they have very similar play style.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 01:58 AM
Lol Roy , Durant , Aldridge oh what could have been .

alexander_37
01-31-2014, 02:10 AM
Oden could have been a beast, it was just his health. If healthy he could have been a 20/10 guy and possibly go on a Howard like spree of DPOY's.

Chrisclover
01-31-2014, 02:30 AM
I knew it would happen. Dude has knee injuries his whole life. Obviously not to the severity but I knew he would get injured.
your words were foolproof .Every NBA player get injured .Iron men like Westbrook finally is down .Before his recent injuries he was considered an almost invenerable player .Holy smokes ,the injured are indispensable parts of the always intense NBA games

sep11ie
01-31-2014, 02:43 AM
It is going to look worse as time progresses. Truth is, we will never know. Grant Hill and Penny could and should have been top 30 all-time players at least. We saw enough to know that. We barely saw Oden. He is almost as mysterious as Len Bias. Unlimited potential oblitherated by injury. But how it turned out...is obviously a huge bummer. Imagine Durant, LA, and a healthy Roy in Portland. But all of that is speculation. Guys like Darko proved he sucked. A true bust. Oden was just a complete unknown who is currently fighting to be a 10th man. So hindsight it's a disaster they passed on Durant. But if all GM's had hindsight, no GM would ever get fired. Except maybe Isiah.

Durant was drafted by Seattle.

tredigs
01-31-2014, 02:59 AM
It wasn't a draft blunder. But for a Monday night QB it will look like the worst in history.

king4day
01-31-2014, 03:36 AM
It wasn't a draft blunder. He was the right pick. Portland had Roy and didn't need a scorer. No one knew KD would become this great.

JordansBulls
01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
It wasn't a draft blunder. But for a Monday night QB it will look like the worst in history.

:confused:

nickdymez
01-31-2014, 06:12 PM
I figured that Durant would be the better pick. With that said, ODen was no scrub and was considered the "safe" pick.. No way anyone saw this coming.

JasonJohnHorn
02-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Injury or not, I'm not sure Oden would have ever reached the level Durant is at.

He would have been a good rebounder, but his fouls-per-block ration was always embarassing. The buy averaged more than 6 fouls per 36 minutes.

I think the best case scenario for Oden was always a Tynson Chandler type player, or a Ben Wallace with a little more scoring.

He could rebound, but he was an over anxious shot-block who committed a lot of fouls and couldn't pass the ball.

Given more time on the floor, he likely could have corrected the issues with the fouls... but... I'm not sure I see much more than that.

Dade County
02-01-2014, 12:34 AM

Shouldn't we wait to judge this after Oden wins multiple championships before KD; I think it only makes sense too.

bagwell368
02-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Jordan #3 behind that #2 is worse than Durant.

Joe Barry Carrol #1 ahead of McHale isn't as bad as Durant - but it's in the ball park

2-ONE-5
02-01-2014, 10:07 AM
this case is different from someone like Bowie over Jordan bcuz Oden did flop bcuz of lack of talent.

What about the Grizz taking Thabeet over Harden, Curry?

Kaner
02-01-2014, 10:08 PM
this case is different from someone like Bowie over Jordan bcuz Oden did flop bcuz of lack of talent.

What about the Grizz taking Thabeet over Harden, Curry?

Oden was immensely talented and probably would have been everything he was being toted to be if he continued to develop and stayed healthy.

Deezy3
02-03-2014, 03:41 PM
The worst ever was Thabeet by my Grizzlies in 2009. Thabust is awful. Just awful. We passed on James Harden, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio, Steph Curry, DeMar DeRozan and Brandon Jennings. Why we picked Thabeet at #2, I will never understand, but I'm still angry about it to this day.

todu82
02-04-2014, 01:01 AM
As a top tier blunder. Just imagine Portland with Durant. The way they've played this year w/o Durant Portland could easily have 40 or more wins and be 1st in the West.

Bishnoff
02-04-2014, 01:40 AM
The worst ever was Thabeet by my Grizzlies in 2009. Thabust is awful. Just awful. We passed on James Harden, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio, Steph Curry, DeMar DeRozan and Brandon Jennings. Why we picked Thabeet at #2, I will never understand, but I'm still angry about it to this day.

This. Bowie and Oden's careers have been plagued by injuries. Bowie was putting up good numbers for a young C before it all went pear-shaped for him.

mrblisterdundee
02-04-2014, 01:41 AM
It's the second worst pick for the Blazers, although I think it's the third worst draft choice. The Blazers drafted Moses Malone and traded him for a pick that ended up being Rick Robey. That was they same year they drafted Maurice Lucas. They could have had a front court of Bill Walton, Malone and Lucas.
"The Blazer front office had it made it clear to me from the beginning that the combination of Malone's $350,000 purchase price and his high-salary contract would make it impossible for the Blazers to keep him," said head coach Jack Ramsay.

mrblisterdundee
02-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Oden was immensely talented and probably would have been everything he was being toted to be if he continued to develop and stayed healthy.

I'm pretty sure he meant to say "didn't" in that sentence. But as you can see, he no gud tipe.

eDush
02-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Nothing is as bad as taking Sam Bowie over MJ. Maybe they thought he was related to Sam Houston or Jim Bowie but nada.

Heediot
02-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Darko over Wade was massive. Detroit would have built a dynasty and the defense (especially on the perimeter) would have been even better with Wade starting over Hamilton. BY his second year Wade would have been starting and you trade Hamilton who had high value at that point for a young big to develop or a draft pick (or even for bench help at worst).

I think Darko over Wade in hindsight is worse Detroit missed out on a couple more championships. How many ships would Portland have won with Durant-Roy-Aldridge?

Heediot
02-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Injury or not, I'm not sure Oden would have ever reached the level Durant is at.

He would have been a good rebounder, but his fouls-per-block ration was always embarassing. The buy averaged more than 6 fouls per 36 minutes.

I think the best case scenario for Oden was always a Tynson Chandler type player, or a Ben Wallace with a little more scoring.

He could rebound, but he was an over anxious shot-block who committed a lot of fouls and couldn't pass the ball.

Given more time on the floor, he likely could have corrected the issues with the fouls... but... I'm not sure I see much more than that.

Pure 5's take the longest to develop. Guys like Hibbert and even Marc Gasol became beasts near mid twenties or later. Oden would have slowly become a dominant defender with some good offensive potential if he worked at it.

Sly Guy
02-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Injuries suck. Oden wasn't lacking talent.

this. You can't put them in the same category because oden had the tools to be great. And you can't teach size so it's understandable why someone would have picked him up first.

FlashBolt
02-05-2014, 03:38 AM
Durant has a chance to go down as a top 10 player. Officially the greatest scorer in my eyes. I don't blame Portland, though. Oden was a beast and had huge potential. It's just unfortunate big men don't have the knees to play the current NBA product.