PDA

View Full Version : Why in the world did Joe Johnson make the ASG over Aaron Afflalo??

ThaDubs
01-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Can someone please explain to me why? Both of their teams have sub 500 records.

JJ: 15.7 ppg, 2.8 apg, 3.4 rpg, .553 TS%

AA: 20.0 ppg, 3.7 apg, 4.3 rpg, .586 TS%

Talked about getting snubbed.

Chronz
01-30-2014, 09:57 PM
More wins + reputation /thread

Replace AA with numerous players and you have an odd argument, surprise selection for sure

Tony_Starks
01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Aaron was never going to make it. No need to pick on JJ though, AA wasn't making it regardless, politics as usual....

Jamiecballer
01-30-2014, 10:04 PM

like Chronz said, there are several guys that should have made it over Johnson, and Wall. between the fan voting and the coaches reserve choices they ****ed the guards up huge this year.

ManRam
01-30-2014, 10:10 PM
My god...

Figured DeRozan (he did) or Lance (he didn't,but I wouldn't be too mad) would get in over Arron. Those would be understandable. But Joe ****ING Johnson?

:shakemy****inghead:

The wins thing is dumb too. The Nets have turned it around, but no one can tell me that they've lived up to expectations. They've probably been worse than we thought they would than Orlando has compared to their preseason expectations.

5ass
01-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Wow

bucketss
01-30-2014, 10:21 PM
My god...

Figured DeRozan (he did) or Lance (he didn't,but I wouldn't be too mad) would get in over Arron. Those would be understandable. But Joe ****ING Johnson?

:shakemy****inghead:

The wins thing is dumb too. The Nets have turned it around, but no one can tell me that they've lived up to expectations. They've probably been worse than we thought they would than Orlando has compared to their preseason expectations.

after thinking about lol, just noticed nets are pretty damn horrible no excuse to put joe over afalalo in this case since they weren't rewarding winning.

marvILLous
01-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Afflalo?? or u mean Lowry?

Jamiecballer
01-30-2014, 10:36 PM
this thread should be just about Joe Johnson

can somebody explain to me how a guy who has averaged 5 win shares a season over 13 years has 7 all-star game appearances?

:bs::bs::bs:

there should be a joe johnson rule where the commissioner can overrule the coaches selections.

NBA_Starter
01-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Probably team success, now I am not saying that it is right or wrong just a point.

koreancabbage
01-30-2014, 10:42 PM

can somebody explain to me how a guy who has averaged 5 win shares a season over 13 years has 7 all-star game appearances?

there should be a joe johnson rule where the commissioner can overrule the coaches selections.

this, I can rally behind. lol total BS Joe Johnson making the all-star game. we just mentioned at least two names who should be over Joe Johnson in the all-star game lol

DallasTrilla23
01-30-2014, 10:57 PM
I can see why they picked him over afflalo. The nets have been balling in the last month and joe was a big part. Afflalo has better numbers but his team is 12-35.

That said, he shouldn't have made it infront of my man lance. He played hot for one month but lance has been concistently for the entire season.

Ill21
01-30-2014, 10:57 PM
I cant believe Lance didnt make it

Stunner
01-30-2014, 11:02 PM
Afflalo?? or u mean Lowry?

No , there's no reason for the raps to have two all stars .

Kyben36
01-30-2014, 11:03 PM
IMO, There are two real snubs of this allstar game, Demarcus Cousins, and Anthony Davis, these two have both been really good this year,

Stephenson is IMO over rated and allways has been, streaky shooter,

Aaron afflalo while a good player, isng a go to guy in any means joe johnson on the magic would socre near 30 a night, I really dont see a problem with any of the snubs other than the two i listed.

Stunner
01-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Probably team success, now I am not saying that it is right or wrong just a point.

Success in what ? Lance team has the best record in the league and he has better stats than Joe.

Stunner
01-30-2014, 11:05 PM
IMO, There are two real snubs of this allstar game, Demarcus Cousins, and Anthony Davis, these two have both been really good this year,

Stephenson is IMO over rated and allways has been, streaky shooter,

Aaron afflalo while a good player, isng a go to guy in any means joe johnson on the magic would socre near 30 a night, I really dont see a problem with any of the snubs other than the two i listed.

Ky I know your statements but like it or not the guy game and stats don't make you look good in this convo . I don't see anything that can make him look overrated this year like at all . No reason Joe should have got selected over one month of production where Lance has been doing it all year long .

Stunner
01-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Those all stars numbers http://i61.tinypic.com/20go65j.jpg

TheMightyHumph
01-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Stern's last act of influence.

kobebabe
01-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Actually it's Lowry who got snubbed big time!

Asik's better
01-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Lance and Lowry biggest snubs. No argument makes sence for JJ to be in that game.

KniCks4LiFe
01-30-2014, 11:38 PM
simply put the Nets are back in the playoff picture b/c of him. That's why. DeRozan is prolly the only guy that we can make the argument for. But Affalo? well his team isn't in the race.

Jamiecballer
01-30-2014, 11:41 PM
simply put the Nets are back in the playoff picture b/c of him. That's why. DeRozan is prolly the only guy that we can make the argument for. But Affalo? well his team isn't in the race.

Are you saying that image up there is a fake?

Stunner
01-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Guards having a better year than Joe that if you threw out the records and only considered them to be all star worthy are Lowry , Wade , Irving , Affalo , Wall , Demar , Lance , Evan Turner , MCW and even if he was considered a SF Deng is having an all star year . Johnson has been Average Joe most of the season . That lil stretch he had was cute though

bal_ravens
01-30-2014, 11:58 PM
like Chronz said, there are several guys that should have made it over Johnson, and Wall. between the fan voting and the coaches reserve choices they ****ed the guards up huge this year.

What other point guard should have gotten in over Wall? Leader in ppg, apg, 2nd in rpg, 2nd in ft%, 2nd in fg% amongst eastern conference point guards for a team that is winning in the east(That's not saying too much, but it IS the Wizards...). There could be a guard that should have made it over him whom I just haven't paid attention to, but it's not like it's a shock he is in it. He has been playing at an all star level all year.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 12:10 AM
What other point guard should have gotten in over Wall? Leader in ppg, apg, 2nd in rpg, 2nd in ft%, 2nd in fg% amongst eastern conference point guards for a team that is winning in the east(That's not saying too much, but it IS the Wizards...). There could be a guard that should have made it over him whom I just haven't paid attention to, but it's not like it's a shock he is in it. He has been playing at an all star level all year.

I don't agree with your assessment.

Wall has putrid efficiency, 80th out of 126 qualified players in PPS. If you don't know what that means in essence it means he is a drain on his teams offence by shooting so much.

Combine that with a problem turning the ball over and you have your answer to why a team with Wall/Beal/Nene/Gortat and Ariza are in the lower third offensively.

There is one pg who has outperformed the rest by a mile - Lowry

bal_ravens
01-31-2014, 12:15 AM
^ And that is fine if you believe Lowry should have made it instead, I could care less either way. I just dont think there are "several guys" that should make it over Wall.

And to be honest, I don't know too much about efficiency stats(Know what they are, just don't follow them), but wasn't Allen Iverson's efficiency pretty darn low too? Clearly different situations, but...

I guarantee if you take him off that team, it becomes a pile of **** until the younger players develop more.

Kashmir13579
01-31-2014, 12:19 AM
JJ is a popular player among coaches?

Kashmir13579
01-31-2014, 12:21 AM
At the end of the day, who watches the All-Star game to see Joe Johnson..? Hell, who watches the All-Star game, period? Probably because guys like Joe Johnson are in it... Oh, how i miss the days T-Mac was still a shoe in.

marvILLous
01-31-2014, 12:31 AM
No , there's no reason for the raps to have two all stars .

Cuz they're the raps? Is the idea of the raps being a good team too new for you? Don't worry it is for me too

Sorry, but both halves of the best backcourt in the east deserve to be all stars..

waveycrockett
01-31-2014, 12:35 AM
Like it or not where you are in the standings plays a huge role for allstar selection among coaches. 4 years ago Brook Lopez was averaging 20/8 around the allstar break and did not make it because the Nets were bottom of the barrel. I'm not a huge fan of JJ or anything but what goes around does come back around.

aman_13
01-31-2014, 12:45 AM
JJ making it is really odd.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Odd or offensive to all 5 of your senses?

aman_13
01-31-2014, 12:58 AM
Odd or offensive to all 5 of your senses?

Both lol

Sadds The Gr8
01-31-2014, 01:05 AM
Only made it because he plays for Brooklyn. Undeserved but not surprising

Stunner
01-31-2014, 01:09 AM
Cuz they're the raps? Is the idea of the raps being a good team too new for you? Don't worry it is for me too

Sorry, but both halves of the best backcourt in the east deserve to be all stars..

The only teams in the east who deserve two to three all stars are the Heat and Pacers , not teams that are barely over .500

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2014, 01:13 AM
Reputation, same reason others got snubbed

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:18 AM
what a ****ing gong show

Lowry - 5th in the entire NBA in win shares - NOT IN

Johnson - tied for 96th in the entire NBA in win shares - IN

Asik's better
01-31-2014, 01:18 AM
The argument of team records makes sense for jj over afflalo but it dosnt cut it for lowery and lance. And the apparent all star month jj is having is extremely overrated. I would love to here the reasoning from the coaches.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:23 AM
The argument of team records makes sense for jj over afflalo but it dosnt cut it for lowery and lance. And the apparent all star month jj is having is extremely overrated. I would love to here the reasoning from the coaches.

no kidding, it looks the same as all the others.

PacersForLife
01-31-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm pretty sure Lance's "attitude" is what kept him off the team and it really sucks. The guy is leading the league in triple-doubles and a big reason why we have the best record.

ThaDubs
01-31-2014, 01:50 AM
Lance also deserved it over him shoulda mentioned that

waveycrockett
01-31-2014, 02:41 AM
what a ****ing gong show

Lowry - 5th in the entire NBA in win shares - NOT IN

Johnson - tied for 96th in the entire NBA in win shares - IN

Win Shares and $2.50 will get you on a city bus

waveycrockett
01-31-2014, 02:43 AM

EXTREMELY overrated? Idk about that. He had a string of like 5 straight games where he dropped 20-25+ in the 1st HALF and barely had to play in the 2nd.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 02:45 AM
EXTREMELY overrated? Idk about that. He had a string of like 5 straight games where he dropped 20-25+ in the 1st HALF and barely had to play in the 2nd.

Where was he the rest of the season ?

Chronz
01-31-2014, 03:13 AM
Like it or not where you are in the standings plays a huge role for allstar selection among coaches. 4 years ago Brook Lopez was averaging 20/8 around the allstar break and did not make it because the Nets were bottom of the barrel. I'm not a huge fan of JJ or anything but what goes around does come back around.

Are we really going to applaud a player for being a part of a sub.500 team? At that point, shouldn't it come down to individual play more than anything?

waveycrockett
01-31-2014, 03:31 AM
Are we really going to applaud a player for being a part of a sub.500 team? At that point, shouldn't it come down to individual play more than anything?

Nobody is applauding him

waveycrockett
01-31-2014, 03:32 AM
Where was he the rest of the season ?

I guess he was average-slightly above average

Chronz
01-31-2014, 03:55 AM
Nobody is applauding him

So then why single out a ****** record in the standings as indicative of anything remotely positive? Im suppose to care that his team has played a different degree of crappy basketball and has mostly recovered thanks to the defense hes not contributing to?

jerellh528
01-31-2014, 04:27 AM
Damn, remember when all star games had guys like shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, tmac, iverson, Kidd, Carter, ming, etc. Now were arguing about afflalo vs Johnson lol, maybe the league actually is starting to lack top tier talent.

sunsfan88
01-31-2014, 04:40 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8h

Brooklyn's Joe Johnson over Toronto's Kyle Lowry was the closest vote among the Eastern coaches, league source tells Yahoo.
If it makes anyone feel any better...

dalton749
01-31-2014, 04:54 AM
how the **** did the manage to come out with jj or lowry then
hes better in like every statistical category

5ass
01-31-2014, 05:28 AM
proky paid them! :smoking::up:

Knicks21
01-31-2014, 05:57 AM
Bet you Woodson voted for JJ that crack head.

Asik's better
01-31-2014, 08:12 AM

4 games 25 or more. 1 games of 23. Rest of the month?
And while all this is on sub par shooting percentage. Not to mention his lacking d. As I said, extremely overrated.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Win Shares and $2.50 will get you on a city bus
Ignorance is no excuse my friend.

THE MTL
01-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Is it just me or are the eastern reserves low tier. Derozan 22ppg on 42%, millsap, Joe Johnson? Sure I know why each of them made it but they just seem below a typical allstar

Chrisclover
01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Proky would need to consult a therapist to alleviate his depression if there were not a single nets player elected an all star. :silly:
This is more or less a consolation prize for the extravagant Nets,which means JJ is just a representer of his team when nobody is better than him at the time being. If all things had gone well in the last few months, I would say Deron, Pierce and Lopez would been more deserving than him. Unfortunately all of which are riddled with injuries and hence have less impact on the game.
Nets has surprisingly come back, with JJ contributing most. So as we all know, he is rewarded. Players like Affolo, Lowry have more appealing stats but sorry, their teams are always losing and trading their assets for picks, which means everyone know they are rebuilding or tanking if you go that far. The Nets is more confident .They actually yelled that they wanted nothing less than a championship before the season starts although many of us all thought they were too optimistic. When the odds were against them ,they lost to bottom teams whose cap space were so big ,their assistant coach Frank was demoted, and more weirdly, Proky said he always gave the unwavering support to Kidd who had little experience but staggering accolades under his belt. Kidd survived.
On the whole, JJ is the savior although not that supreme statistically.His salary is more impressive than his scoring, isnt it ?:rolleyes:

2-ONE-5
01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
lowry over both

Sly Guy
01-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Stephenson or Lowry should have made it before JJ, IMO.

Cal827
01-31-2014, 11:35 AM
NBA is still a joke lol.

How in the Hell does he make the team, period. Some of these coaches are as focused on big market teams as the players seem to be. There is pretty much NO argument that can't be countered fully for him to make the team. I can understand John Wall, cause he's having a breakout year, and even though the team isn't dominant, it is much better than what Washington usually puts up in a season.

More team success than Affalo? True, however, this team was expected to win 50+ games and a **** division title, but as of right now, they are under .500 and are lucky that most of the East sucks too, or they would be far behind. If this were the case, then Lowry should have the spot. After all, he has played extremely well on a team that has had more success than the Nets so Far and sit atop the division.

If they were picking based on position and stats, then Affalo or Stevenson should grab the spot. Both are putting up better stats and actually play some defense
How in the Hell does 15-3-3 get you an all-star nod lol

We can only hope that the New commissioner can affect crap like this for future AS games lol

BRICKCITYPIMP12
01-31-2014, 12:07 PM
HATERS GONNA HATE

anyways...some ppl just see his numbers and b like ..y did he make the asg..he sucks.. but this man has been one of the most clutch players in the league for the past 2 seasons.

theres no dout afflalo is BALLIN and should have made the asg...but.. sometimes the numbers dont tell the entire story.

afflalo is pretty much the best player on his team, therefor he is the go to guy and the one with the best numbers.

joe johnson has pretty similar numbers and thats with lopez (beginging of the season) being our lead scorer, and then we had a few 30 point games from mirza and pp, and a handful of 20 point games from blatche. so its obvious he wont have the same numbers as a go to guy.

upt_
01-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Lowry got snubbed big time. Can't say i'm surprised, the NBA is more politics and less sport. They're in for netting the maximum profit, hence picking a player from a big market team like Brooklyn so that their fans can have a reason to watch the game. I don't know how Lowry goes from potentially being an allstar STARTER to not being on the team all together. The league is stupid, majority of the fans are even stupider (Mostly a popularity contest, not based on overall talent) and that's why i don't watch this ****, let alone voting for it.

upt_
01-31-2014, 12:16 PM
And i forgot to mention. Joe Johnson SUCKS.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 12:17 PM
worst 7 time all-star ever.

upt_
01-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Lowry is also statistically better in every single category. Whack.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Kyrie took Lowry's spot
Joe took Lance 's spot ... Even thought I believe teams barley over .500 don't deserve two all stars . But this year is so horrible in the east this is prob the last chance these level of players will get in when the big boys come back next season .

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 12:40 PM
IDK how peeps are trying to make this a Joe vs Lowry thing. Joe Johnson got the all star vote b/c

- he played the SF like an AS the past 3 mths. he's been 15-16 PPG
- his clutch performance has been the talk in the NBA in January
- I like Lowry but he's only picked up his performance the last 2 mths.

So w/ it being Lowry vs Joe, it's ridiculous. Joe Johnson is a big reason the Nets are back in the playoff race. They lost Lopez, Deron and have over aged B players in KG and PP. Did we not see Joe Jesus take down OKC? did he not beat MIA? did he not beat PHX? did he not beat the Dubz? these aren't small wins. We saw the beat down he put on ATL. I mean Oct. yeh I'm w/ y'all but Nov, Dec, Jan, the only thing stopping him is Deron Williams.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 12:51 PM
One month of production should not overshadow players putting up consistent production over 3 months .

Stunner
01-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Lance and Lowry have been playing better than Joe more this season . The nets didn't start winning till Jan .

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Lance and Lowry have been playing better than Joe more this season . The nets didn't start winning till Jan .

Who's the Nets best scoring option? now name their 2nd best

Do that w/ Toronto. These are different positions. SF and PG. Honestly I'm surprised this is a Lowry vs Joe thing. It should be a Stephenson vs Joe thing. Not Lowry.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:00 PM
or we could do it this way

joe johnson is having his worst season in about 10 years playing for a team that has performed way below expectations.

kyle lowry has played out of his mind for a team that was expected to try and tank.

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Another thing to add, and this is why I've been against the multiple stars per team rule. If you play w/ a LeBron, your numbers will go up. If you play w/ a Paul George, your production will rise. Who's Joe Johnson playing with? keep in mind Deron Williams is a detriment to his production. The Nets are the 7th seed in the East right now. Are we to say they don't deserve a rep?

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Another thing to add, and this is why I've been against the multiple stars per team rule. If you play w/ a LeBron, your numbers will go up. If you play w/ a Paul George, your production will rise. Who's Joe Johnson playing with? keep in mind Deron Williams is a detriment to his production. The Nets are the 7th seed in the East right now. Are we to say they don't deserve a rep?

absolutely. players are being honored here, not teams.

if we needed to be reminded that Johnson was still in the league we'd google "players having average seasons".

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:08 PM
or we could do it this way

joe johnson is having his worst season in about 10 years playing for a team that has performed way below expectations.

kyle lowry has played out of his mind for a team that was expected to try and tank.

but why is it Joe vs Kyle? Joe's not a PG taking his spot.

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:11 PM
absolutely. players are being honored here, not teams.

if we needed to be reminded that Johnson was still in the league we'd google "players having average seasons".

Lowry is 16/4/7

Joe is 15/3/2

that's their season numbers. But again why is this a JJ vs Lowry thing?

Stunner
01-31-2014, 01:15 PM
I believe the raptors should have only one all star like every other team ranked 3-8 . Kyrie and Demar took Lowry's spot , either way you look at it Joe doesn't deserve to be there especially not over Lance . Pacers have the best record in the league they deserved three all stars , Spurs and Heat got three in the past and heat got three this year.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Lowry is 16/4/7

Joe is 15/3/2

Because there are two wildcard spots for the bench

Stunner
01-31-2014, 01:20 PM
East bench honestly was picked like this

Wall
Demar
Bosh
Hibbert
Noah

Wild cards :

Joe
Milsap

East is so trash this year that Raptors would have had two players for the fact there are t two many good guards this year with decent records . Lowry , Demar and Lance over Joe .

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:22 PM
Because there are two wildcard spots for the bench

they ain't even getting PT in this game. What 3-4 mins. ? I mean. Brooklyn deserves someone in this. They are only 3 gms. behind TOR and have the best record in 2014 so far. I mean they loss 2 impact players. I mean is it really that clear cut?

JusDBasics
01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Lowry has arguably been the best PG in the East. Look at the numbers and his team has the better record than other PG's. Derozan is 8th on the MVP ladder...nuff said. Raptors should have and deserve two all stars especially over Joe Johnson

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:27 PM
but why is it Joe vs Kyle? Joe's not a PG taking his spot.

you are right. it's not strictly Joe vs Kyle, although there was that tweet making the rounds that the final choice was between the two.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Lowry is 16/4/7

Joe is 15/3/2

simple counting statistics simply don't cut it anymore. if you want to learn about advanced stats and how they are broadening our understanding of a players impact you can PM me.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 01:29 PM
they ain't even getting PT in this game. What 3-4 mins. ? I mean. Brooklyn deserves someone in this. They are only 3 gms. behind TOR and have the best record in 2014 so far. I mean they loss 2 impact players. I mean is it really that clear cut?

Brooklyn deserves someone why , Because they're BROOKLYN ? Joe doesn't need to be there def not over Lance or Lowry . He wouldn't even made the team if Rose and Rondo were healthy . BK have been bad most of this season

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Lowry has arguably been the best PG in the East. Look at the numbers and his team has the better record than other PG's. Derozan is 8th on the MVP ladder...nuff said. Raptors should have and deserve two all stars especially over Joe Johnson

but you're saying the Nets [ugly stepchild of NYC] deserves no one. And they this past week were 2 Deron Williams mind gaps away from taking over the division. I don't get why it's a Joe vs Lowry. Your issue should be w/ the PG that made it over Lowry.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:30 PM
I believe the raptors should have only one all star like every other team ranked 3-8 . Kyrie and Demar took Lowry's spot , either way you look at it Joe doesn't deserve to be there especially not over Lance . Pacers have the best record in the league they deserved three all stars , Spurs and Heat got three in the past and heat got three this year.

i agree with you on just about everything as far as evaluating who is worthy and who is not. what i don't get, is how you can apply logic to who is worthy but still think that team standings should have anything to do with it.

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Brooklyn deserves someone why , Because they're BROOKLYN ? Joe doesn't need to be there def not over Lance or Lowry . He wouldn't even made the team if Rose and Rondo were healthy . BK have been bad most of this season

I agree w/ Lance! I'm not disagreeing there. But I don't get how Brooklyn can be a top 8 team in East, threatened them for the division this past week and all the sudden come allstar break, they have no one? really?

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:35 PM
I agree w/ Lance! I'm not disagreeing there. But I don't get how Brooklyn can be a top 8 team in East, threatened them for the division this past week and all the sudden come allstar break, they have no one? really?

nobody says they have no one. but none of your big guns except lopez have come even close to fulfilling expectations. the reason you guys are hanging in there is because you've got stupid good depth.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 01:37 PM
i agree with you on just about everything as far as evaluating who is worthy and who is not. what i don't get, is how you can apply logic to who is worthy but still think that team standings should have anything to do with it.

I mean this year they shot themeseleves in the foot , Pacers have three all star worth players and the best record in the league . It doesn't seem fair seeing that teams in the past that had the best record in the league have had more than 2 all stars .... Didn't the pistons have like 4 one time ? I feel this year with Lance having a great year and his team having the better record should have got him more credit than he got , he's basically the PG for the pacers .

JusDBasics
01-31-2014, 01:39 PM
but you're saying the Nets [ugly stepchild of NYC] deserves no one. And they this past week were 2 Deron Williams mind gaps away from taking over the division. I don't get why it's a Joe vs Lowry. Your issue should be w/ the PG that made it over Lowry.

Wrong because Wall also deserved a spot. Look at the West, they have three PG reserves. Johnson was a wildcard, so Lowry had every reason (stats and team is better) to make it over Johnson.The Nets record shouldn't even grant them an all-star.

smith&wesson
01-31-2014, 01:42 PM

the "joe johnson" rule... I like it!

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:44 PM
I mean this year they **** themeseleves in the foot , Pacers have three all star worth players and the best record in the league . It doesn't seem fair seeing that teams in the past that had the best record in the league have had more than 2 all stars .... Didn't the pistons have like 4 one time ? I feel this year with Lance having a great year and his team having the better record should have got him more credit than he got , he's basically the PG for the pacers .

times are a changing though aren't they. i assumed since you and i saw eye to eye on most of this that you were a student as far as examining advanced stats and the like. if you are then you know that advanced stats support Lance as an all-star anyways! he doesn't need to cheat someone who has made a bigger impact simply because he is a pacer.

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:48 PM
nobody says they have no one. but none of your big guns except lopez have come even close to fulfilling expectations. the reason you guys are hanging in there is because you've got stupid good depth.

I'm a Knicks fan. :laugh2:

And the Nets really don't have that much depth to hang. If Joe Johnson went down they'd prolly crumble. D-Will has been average, KG has been under average, Pierce has been average. I mean all they really have is Mirza, Livingston and Blatche. :laugh2:

omdigga
01-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Sir Lancelot got robbed.

i would have picked him over jj and afflalo. all three are having good seasons but Lance is a big a reason the pacers are so good.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm a Knicks fan. :laugh2:

And the Nets really don't have that much depth to hang. If Joe Johnson went down they'd prolly crumble. D-Will has been average, KG has been under average, Pierce has been average. I mean all they really have is Mirza, Livingston and Blatche. :laugh2:
they've all been disappointing but they are like 12 deep. if that was really all they had they'd be in the basement.

KniCks4LiFe
01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Sir Lancelot got robbed.

i would have picked him over jj and afflalo. all three are having good seasons but Lance is a big a reason the pacers are so good.

Thank you. This isn't about Lowry. This is about Lance being robbed. Even tho he play w/ someone better than any of these other teams have in PG24.

they've all been disappointing but they are like 12 deep. if that was really all they had they'd be in the basement.

It is homie LOLS. Peeps really don't get how Jason Kidd basically kept them afloat through Joe Johnson. I'll recite what KG said about him

"He might not be there when you call on him, but he's there when you need him" :laugh2:

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
Thank you. This isn't about Lowry. This is about Lance being robbed. Even tho he play w/ someone better than any of these other teams have in PG24.

It is homie LOLS. Peeps really don't get how Jason Kidd basically kept them afloat through Joe Johnson. I'll recite what KG said about him

"He might not be there when you call on him, but he's there when you need him" :laugh2:

ok well i'll end this conversation here then because you aren't capable of being objective.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 02:28 PM
While we're at it, how about Noah & Hibbert > Drummond?

Hibbert I guess you can justify with IND's record, Noah there is no justifying. Chicago is not impressive. 5 more wins? That's not enough.

Even with IND, record should never play that heavily into the decision making process. The guy is averaging 12 & 8.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 02:37 PM
While we're at it, how about Noah & Hibbert > Drummond?

Hibbert I guess you can justify with IND's record, Noah there is no justifying. Chicago is not impressive. 5 more wins? That's not enough.

Even with IND, record should never play that heavily into the decision making process. The guy is averaging 12 & 8.

sorry. can't support you on that one.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm all ears.

I realize we suck, I don't think that should weigh that heavily in the decision process. Regardless, Chicago has had this roster in place for years now, the same coach, same philosophy. 5 win difference is not great enough IMO.

Chronz
01-31-2014, 02:43 PM
worst 7 time all-star ever.

Damn true. Lowry got snubbed

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm all ears.

I realize we suck, I don't think that should weigh that heavily in the decision process. Regardless, Chicago has had this roster in place for years now, the same coach, same philosophy. 5 win difference is not great enough IMO.

it's not record with me, i think team wins should have no part in selection anyways.

even though he makes some spectacular shows of athleticism he makes too many mistakes on the defensive end at this point in his career.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 03:12 PM
While I agree, I don't think the ASG should go beyond the box score. If record doesn't matter to you, defensive spacing shouldn't either.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 03:14 PM
While I agree, I don't think the ASG should go beyond the box score. If record doesn't matter to you, defensive spacing shouldn't either.

so you just want "fun". ok well in that case i totally get it. i think it's more important to reward the guys who are having the biggest impact.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 03:21 PM
The all star game is a joke either way, it should be about having fun. But even with that, I don't see how Noah has had a bigger impact on the game this season. His team is better, his coach is better, the players are accustomed to playing with one another. With all things considered, Chicago's record should be better than it is.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 03:29 PM
The all star game is a joke either way, it should be about having fun. But even with that, I don't see how Noah has had a bigger impact on the game this season. His team is better, his coach is better, the players are accustomed to playing with one another. With all things considered, Chicago's record should be better than it is.
he's dominant on the glass. he's makes far fewer mistakes on the defensive end, and he's one of the best passing bigs in the game.

give it time. if Drummond works diligently to study the game he will have a chance in the near future. but if i'm in game 7 of a series and i have a choice i'm taking the guy i can count on and that's Noah.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 03:38 PM
While the Assists numbers are nice for a center, who really cares? It's not as if he has a history of excelling in that category, his point guard went down for the season. Drummond is more dominant on the glass, has one of the best ORT of all time, is a better shot blocker, better at stealing the ball, turns the ball over less, fouls players about the same and is shooting a higher percentage from the field.

You're talking about things that aren't valid in the ASG, and I don't disagree with them. But this has nothing to do with a 7 game series. If Drummond isn't selected next season, it's a joke.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 03:42 PM
While the Assists numbers are nice for a center, who really cares? It's not as if he has a history of excelling in that category, his point guard went down for the season. Drummond is more dominant on the glass, has one of the best ORT of all time, is a better shot blocker, better at stealing the ball, turns the ball over less, fouls players about the same and is shooting a higher percentage from the field.

You're talking about things that aren't valid in the ASG, and I don't disagree with them. But this has nothing to do with a 7 game series. If Drummond isn't selected next season, it's a joke.

okey dokey :rolleyes:

i do like how you've decided that Drummond is worthy next year, already. definition tells me that objectivity has already left the building.

akagiredsuns
01-31-2014, 04:05 PM

Because the nba all star selection is not about who's better it's a popularity contest. Where have you been the last two decades?

Stunner
01-31-2014, 04:07 PM
sorry. can't support you on that one.

yea Bulls would be more crappy without Noah and hes arguably the best passing center in the nba. Pacers wouldn't be that good defensively without Hibbert guarding the paint. Yet his numbers arent looking like an all star he is the leading vote getter for defensive player of the year , his team is winning and he having an all star impact on the court. Drummond would have gotten in prob if his team was winning but they arent and he still has ways to go as a player anyway.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Never understood the Noah slander , i guess you have to watch the guy play every game and check his stat sheets . He has an all star impact on the team that leads to victories and so does Hibbert. Noah stats would look a whole lot better and our currently rising if he didnt miss all of pre season and was working himself back into shape in the beginning of the season.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't see how I'm slandering him. 12 & 11 with nice assist numbers is great, but it's not more note worthy than 13 & 13 from a guy who's game is perfect for the all star game (lob city anyone?). I'm not saying one is better than the other. I think Noah is a great player.

Jamie, instead of refuting my points, you insult me. You and I should avoid having debates in the future.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't see how I'm slandering him. 12 & 11 with nice assist numbers is great, but it's not more note worthy than 13 & 13 from a guy who's game is perfect for the all star game (lob city anyone?). I'm not saying one is better than the other. I think Noah is a great player.

Jamie, instead of refuting my points, you insult me. You and I should avoid having debates in the future.
i don't think i insulted you but i agree. you made statements like assists don't matter because it's the all-star game or that Drummond has to be selected for sure next year. what am i suppose to say to that?

Shammyguy3
01-31-2014, 05:25 PM
So you want lob city in the all-star game moreso than rewarding players for their regular season achievements thus far? I don't get it. Noah since the start of December (28 games) has averaged 13.2ppg 13.0rpg 4.6apg 1.7bpg 1.2spg in just under 36 minutes. Over that time frame he's posted a 110 ORtg 97 DRtg 20.9trb% 23.1ast% 53.0ts% 16.5usg%

Andre Drummond over that same time frame has averaged 13.0ppg 13.3rpg 0.4apg 2.1bpg 1.1spg in 32 minutes. Over that time frame he's posted a 115 ORtg 103 DRtg 22.5trb% 2.1ast% 56.5ts% 17.1usg%

Statistically they're very similar, and although i don't have their synergy defensive metrics on hand:
Noah has allowed 44.1% OPP FGP @rim this year on 7.2 attempts a game
Drummond has allowed 49.9% OPP FGP @rim this year on 8.2 attempts a game

Drummond's not "not worthy", but I don't think he's more worthy than Noah honestly

NoahH
01-31-2014, 05:32 PM
IMO... The NBA All Star game should have 15 players on the team. It's for the fans anyways. Might as well open it up a bit more so fans can see their favorite players

Stunner
01-31-2014, 05:36 PM
So you want lob city in the all-star game moreso than rewarding players for their regular season achievements thus far? I don't get it. Noah since the start of December (28 games) has averaged 13.2ppg 13.0rpg 4.6apg 1.7bpg 1.2spg in just under 36 minutes. Over that time frame he's posted a 110 ORtg 97 DRtg 20.9trb% 23.1ast% 53.0ts% 16.5usg%

Andre Drummond over that same time frame has averaged 13.0ppg 13.3rpg 0.4apg 2.1bpg 1.1spg in 32 minutes. Over that time frame he's posted a 115 ORtg 103 DRtg 22.5trb% 2.1ast% 56.5ts% 17.1usg%

Statistically they're very similar, and although i don't have their synergy defensive metrics on hand:
Noah has allowed 44.1% OPP FGP @rim this year on 7.2 attempts a game
Drummond has allowed 49.9% OPP FGP @rim this year on 8.2 attempts a game

Drummond's not "not worthy", but I don't think he's more worthy than Noah honestly

Shammy stats make me hot and heavy

Asik's better
01-31-2014, 06:35 PM
So joe Johnson made it because he is entertaining? I didn't know bricks were entertaining for fans.

MonroeFAN
01-31-2014, 08:24 PM
i don't think i insulted you but i agree. you made statements like assists don't matter because it's the all-star game or that Drummond has to be selected for sure next year. what am i suppose to say to that?

Having the offense run through your center when he is not a dominant offensive weapon should be considered a novelty act. It's not as if they're some great team right now because of it. You would rather have a center who can pass the ball compared to someone who can essentially score at will when he has position in the paint? I stand by my original statement, who cares? I'm not trying to downplay the importance of moving the ball, but assists are not a very meaningful stat when the team he plays for has a bottom 5 offense in the league.

Why the sample size? View their season numbers. Drummond's are better in every major statistical category outside of APG, FT% and MPG. Also factor in that Drummond is a much more entertaining player to watch (no it's not for me, it's for the kids, I will not be watching). At the very least have him in over Hibbert. I think it would be pretty crazy to not have him in next year if he keeps this up (or improves) and has another year under his belt.

I will admit it's obviously a close call with AD and Noah.

Stunner
01-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Too me your argument is on the pure fact that Drummond can jump , if that's the case wee need Gerald Green in this game

Kashmir13579
01-31-2014, 09:01 PM

haha love the sig man.. I would still trade him too. In a heartbeat.

FriedTofuz
01-31-2014, 10:01 PM
OP is clueless, his thread should be how did Joe johnson make it over Lowry or Lance.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2014, 10:08 PM
yeah, AA plays for a **** team, he is not getting in. Lowry or even Lance Stephenson deserve it more than JJ

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Having the offense run through your center when he is not a dominant offensive weapon should be considered a novelty act. It's not as if they're some great team right now because of it. You would rather have a center who can pass the ball compared to someone who can essentially score at will when he has position in the paint? I stand by my original statement, who cares? I'm not trying to downplay the importance of moving the ball, but assists are not a very meaningful stat when the team he plays for has a bottom 5 offense in the league.

Why the sample size? View their season numbers. Drummond's are better in every major statistical category outside of APG, FT% and MPG. Also factor in that Drummond is a much more entertaining player to watch (no it's not for me, it's for the kids, I will not be watching). At the very least have him in over Hibbert. I think it would be pretty crazy to not have him in next year if he keeps this up (or improves) and has another year under his belt.

I will admit it's obviously a close call with AD and Noah.

his assists numbers are irrelevant to his teams bottom 5 offense. they show that he has a considerable skill that Drummond, or 95% of bigs, do not possess.

if it was about raw numbers, you are right Drummond would be an easy call. but he completely lacks fundamentals and awareness on the defensive end. his skill level right now would be a bit of an embarrassment for an all-star appearance.

chin up my man, just think of how amazing he will be if he develops those fundamentals.

*Superman*
01-31-2014, 11:17 PM
I love AA's response, great professional. He should have made it but you could make a case for Lance also.

"I would never criticize the process," Afflalo said, according to Robbins. "What I will say, though, is that next time around, I intend for there to be no debate about where I belong at my position and in the league for that matter. I'll definitely put the necessary work in to make sure that happens."

JNA17
01-31-2014, 11:26 PM
Joe Johnson with 9 points tonight.

Give it up for our SEVEN TIME ALL STAR ladies and gentlemen! :clap:

Jamiecballer
01-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Joe Johnson with 9 points tonight.

Give it up for our SEVEN TIME ALL STAR ladies and gentlemen! :clap:

he's been held to single digits 11 times this year. that's sorta terrible when scoring is your most marketable ability. :sigh:

Stunner
02-01-2014, 12:03 AM
he's been held to single digits 11 times this year. that's sorta terrible when scoring is your most marketable ability. :sigh:

He just passed Iggy as worst all star selection

ThaDubs
02-01-2014, 12:03 AM
OP is clueless, his thread should be how did Joe johnson make it over Lowry or Lance.

This isn't just about AA, I know about Lance's and Lowry's stats and my main point was JJ shouldn't have made it.

FriedTofuz
02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
This isn't just about AA, I know about Lance's and Lowry's stats and my main point was JJ shouldn't have made it.

AA isnt even part of the discussion because Lance and Lowry are clearly the next two to decide one.

Asik's better
02-01-2014, 12:36 AM
5th time this so called all star month.

FriedTofuz
02-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Can someone please post a video about joe johnson's response to being an allStar? he's been trash. Oh but then again, he's an allstar in the eastern conference, that isnt saying much. Maybe the coaches arent that stupid afterall.