PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Marshall and Lakers Point Guards...

TheBatchelor213
01-29-2014, 03:15 AM
Guy keeps putting up #'s.....Blake and Farmar are on the way back.....can Lakers get anything of value for one of these guys?Would seem they would be willing to trade anybody and everybody at this point....

Chrisclover
01-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Pringles makes these guys amazing

Sadds The Gr8
01-29-2014, 03:57 AM
is Marshall actually good? or is it just D'antoni?

Shlumpledink
01-29-2014, 04:18 AM
get rid of both steve's, why bother carrying either of them?

JWorthy42
01-29-2014, 04:48 AM
Kid is basically averaging 10 and 10.

Don't murder me right now, but seeing D'Antoni turn nobodies into somebodies (Lin, Marshall, Steve Blake started playing great once Pringles came here), all of this makes me question Nash's career.

Could Steve Nash just be the perfect product of Mike D'Antoni's offense and Pringles deserves a lot of credit for the success Nash had?

DreamShaker
01-29-2014, 05:13 AM

Don't murder me right now, but seeing D'Antoni turn nobodies into somebodies (Lin, Marshall, Steve Blake started playing great once Pringles came here), all of this makes me question Nash's career.

Could Steve Nash just be the perfect product of Mike D'Antoni's offense and Pringles deserves a lot of credit for the success Nash had?

He was an All-Star who turned into an MVP candidate when he got to the Suns. There is no debating that. No one thought Nash would be MVP in their wildest dreams. The system he runs allows point guards to put up numbers. Also not a debate. Now I will say that Nash did AMAZING things on the court with the Suns. Not just numbers, but toughness, vision, shooting, style, leadership, and poise. Nobody could match what he did at that time. He did a lot of those things before and after D'antoni. But that system was perfect for Nash. And it was amazing to watch. None of his point guards since then have come close to that. Marshall was known for his passing and vision in college, and it was unleashed with this system. To me, Nash and D'antoni did best when together, but Nash is a much better player than D'antoni is a coach. If all that makes sense.

jaydubb
01-29-2014, 05:24 AM
Dantoni is good at maximizing guard potential which is why guys like duhan Blake and farmar were average players before became good solid players with dantoni. Same with these previously unheard of guys Jeremy Lin and Kendall Marshall start turning heads with their all of a sudden solid basketball.. Same applys to nash but on a deeper level, nash was an all star before and after dantoni but with dantoni he was an MVP candidate (actually won it twice wit dantoni as everyone knows)..

I'd say its a stretch to say dantoni made Nash's career, but I do think he definitely helped it for sure.. Nash would be an all star with or without dantoni, but IMO without nash dantoni woulda never survived in the NBA.. The only reason he's still getting a shot is for his resume in phoenix..

Dantoni is only good at one thing, developing guards, besides that he doesn't know ****..

JWorthy42
01-29-2014, 05:35 AM
I'd like to see Mike D'Antoni as an assistant coach. I think he can thrive like that.

Duncan = Donkey
01-29-2014, 06:15 AM

He was an All Star at Dallas and an All Star at Phoenix after Dantoni left, sooooo...............................

Duncan = Donkey
01-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Also Marshall sucks, but he will put big assist numbers.

numba1CHANGsta
01-29-2014, 07:05 AM
D'Antoni could make any player look good, only problem is he doesn't believe in defense, 2nd worst defense in the league yuck

Drummond#1
01-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Also Marshall sucks, but he will put big assist numbers.

You have Dragic and Bledsoe... You can tuck away the insecurity of letting go a solid PG like Marshall. Say what you will about the kid but his assist to turnover ratio is stud level and he is young. You know who else put up massive assist number and sucked at shooting initially... Jason Kidd.

Drummond#1
01-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Is Marshall eligible for the future stars challenge?

Swashcuff
01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Don't forget Duhon. I think your point has merit based on the play of PGs that has ran D'Antoni's offense.

UPRock
01-29-2014, 10:31 AM
You have Dragic and Bledsoe... You can tuck away the insecurity of letting go a solid PG like Marshall. Say what you will about the kid but his assist to turnover ratio is stud level and he is young. You know who else put up massive assist number and sucked at shooting initially... Jason Kidd. And we're also watching that right now with Rubio

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-29-2014, 10:51 AM
D'Antoni could make any player look good, only problem is he doesn't believe in defense, 2nd worst defense in the league yuck

You telling me there is a worse defensive team than Lakers in the league?

you gotta be kidding me.

ManRam
01-29-2014, 10:58 AM
It's not terribly difficult to rack up 10 assists a game when you're getting 40 minutes, you have the ball in your hands almost all the time and you only shoot it ~9 times a game.

He is obviously a great passer, but we all know he could do this. What else can he do? Hit a few threes here or there, but that's about it.

Jason Kidd is the huge outlier. Just because he did it, doesn't mean everyone else easily can. Marshall is an NBA player, just very far from a star.

kobebabe
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM
MDA can make the unknown become known. That's his only strength. Other than that he sucks! As long as he is the coach, Lakers will be at the bottom no matter who they bring in. Look at Knicks, they looked horrible (they still do though) when MDA took over.
As far as Marshall, I can see MDA saying trade away Blake or farmar to keep Marshall.....I bet you he would

IndyRealist
01-29-2014, 11:33 AM
I guess I was the only one high on Marshall coming out of college. He needs to get with a shooting coach desperately, but he has all the intangibles.

ManRam
01-29-2014, 12:29 PM
I guess I was the only one high on Marshall coming out of college. He needs to get with a shooting coach desperately, but he has all the intangibles.

The funny thing is, he's actually been a decent 3 point shooter. His problem is that he's literally completely unable to score anywhere inside the 3 point line. I don't think he has defensive intangibles either. He neither has the length nor quickness to be a great defender in this league. It's hard to judge an individual guard in LAL's defense because of how bad the unit is as a whole, and while in the few games I've caught he hasn't looked terrible defensively, I still just have a hard time seeing it.

He's a great passer with a serviceable 3 point shot. Not sure what other aspect of his game is a plus.

mrblisterdundee
01-29-2014, 12:39 PM
They definitely lucked out with Marshall. Now they just need to convince Mark Cuban to take Nash.

PurpleLynch
01-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Marshall,honestly, impressed me just because he came in a losing team in the Nba from the D-League and he still can rack up some points and dish a good amount of assists.His D is atrocious anyway and he gest torched by every ****in pg in the league. Maybe under a new coach he can learn at least basic D for a point guard. Also his shot is improved,but he needs to improve it even more to be a reliable shooter(his mechanics are ish,but I guess he's comfortable with those).

D-Leethal
01-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Steve Blake was putting up monster numbers too under D'Antoni. So did Chris Duhon. This is no different.

TrueFan420
01-29-2014, 02:21 PM
I'd like to see Mike D'Antoni as an assistant coach. I think he can thrive like that.

Agreed

Jenceman
01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
He's averaging 13 points and 11 assists as a starter, as well as shooting 46% from range. His numbers also look very good because of pace and system. His advanced stats leave a whole lot to be desired. I do like the above 3-1 Ast/TO ratio though.

Teeboy1487
01-29-2014, 05:56 PM
If the Lakers are smart, they stick with Marshall and Farmar. They are both younger and with more future. Both of the Steves need to be gone.

Bishnoff
01-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Yes, D'Antoni is responsible for Nash's development in Dallas and Nash becoming one of the greatest shooters of all time :rolleyes:

Bishnoff
01-29-2014, 06:18 PM
You have Dragic and Bledsoe... You can tuck away the insecurity of letting go a solid PG like Marshall. Say what you will about the kid but his assist to turnover ratio is stud level and he is young. You know who else put up massive assist number and sucked at shooting initially... Jason Kidd.

Marshall was good at North Carolina and I had high hopes for him when we drafted him. Unfortunately it seems that he never wanted to play for the Suns which came through in interviews post draft and throughout his time in Phoenix.

Marshall is an excellent passer but his biggest weakness is his shooting. I'm not upset that we let him go as he was superfluous to our needs and didn't suit our system. I was one of the few PSD Suns fans who liked the pick and who continued to believe in Marshall whilst he was a Sun. His numbers as a Laker are no surprise to me.

Duncan = Donkey
01-29-2014, 08:45 PM

But he Played elite defense and he was Jason Kidd

JEDean89
01-29-2014, 09:02 PM
chris butt****ing duhon got 22 assists under dantoni

Leftcoast_yg
01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
It's not terribly difficult to rack up 10 assists a game when you're getting 40 minutes, you have the ball in your hands almost all the time and you only shoot it ~9 times a game.

He is obviously a great passer, but we all know he could do this. What else can he do? Hit a few threes here or there, but that's about it.

Jason Kidd is the huge outlier. Just because he did it, doesn't mean everyone else easily can. Marshall is an NBA player, just very far from a star.

And what!? You think great nba players put up big numbers by playing half a game?

Duncan = Donkey
01-29-2014, 11:02 PM
If he is so good Lock him up to a nice deal then LA, whats the going rate for a 13 and 10 assist guy, something tells me you wont.

Leftcoast_yg
01-29-2014, 11:29 PM
If he is so good Lock him up to a nice deal then LA, whats the going rate for a 13 and 10 assist guy, something tells me you wont.

What is your 4th string point guard averaging??......

Duncan = Donkey
01-29-2014, 11:30 PM
What is your 4th string point guard averaging??......

we dont have one

JWorthy42
01-30-2014, 01:55 AM
Yes, D'Antoni is responsible for Nash's development in Dallas and Nash becoming one of the greatest shooters of all time :rolleyes:

No, don't turn my statement into a hyperbole. Under MikeD, Nash was an MVP. Steve Nash was a solid player as he was before and after D'Antoni, but what Mike did was elevate Nash to that next level, MVP.

Duncan = Donkey
01-30-2014, 02:15 AM
A solid player is just disrespectful. He was an all star.

P&GRealist
01-30-2014, 02:42 AM
A product of the D'Antoni system. Dish out 10+ assists a game, dribble dribble dribble like crazy, and play absolutely zero defense.

Trash trash trash d-leaguing POS trash.

tredigs
01-30-2014, 02:44 AM
Marshall actually has the highest 3pt% in the NBA.

Duncan = Donkey
01-30-2014, 02:47 AM
Marshall actually has the highest 3pt% in the NBA.

That wont last, his shot is broken.

elizabethhill
01-30-2014, 02:50 AM
is Marshall actually good? or is it just D'antoni?

D'antoni was always known for building great names out of nothing. He sees skills that no other person can see.

JWorthy42
01-30-2014, 03:09 AM
A solid player is just disrespectful. He was an all star.

I meant "All-Star". Hence the next level was becoming an MVP.

Read :)

jsthornton7
01-30-2014, 03:37 AM
I like Marshall, but I would much rather have Farmar start. What Marshall doesn't do outweighs his passing/vision and surprisingly great outside shot (so far). Marshall doesn't compete on the defensive end, he's not very athletic/quick and he will never command a double team or cause a mismatch.

I'm curious to know what his value would be from fans of other teams. If your team needed a PG, what would you give up for him? His contract is the veteran min and is non-guaranteed expiring in 2015.

Duncan = Donkey
01-30-2014, 03:45 AM
I meant "All-Star". Hence the next level was becoming an MVP.

Read :)

Read? I did read. You said solid player, that's what I read. How am i spose to know you meant all star.

Duncan = Donkey
01-30-2014, 03:46 AM
I like Marshall, but I would much rather have Farmar start. What Marshall doesn't do outweighs his passing/vision and surprisingly great outside shot (so far). Marshall doesn't compete on the defensive end, he's not very athletic/quick and he will never command a double team or cause a mismatch.

I'm curious to know what his value would be from fans of other teams. If your team needed a PG, what would you give up for him? His contract is the veteran min and is non-guaranteed expiring in 2015.

Late 2nd picks or other team mediocre players im guessing would be his value.

JLynn943
01-30-2014, 03:56 AM

Sounds similar to Grievis Vasquez.

Going from not being in the league to a couple weeks of solid play isn't going to give him much value, but if he does it the rest of the year, maybe the Lakers could net a decent bench player in return in the off-season.

Leftcoast_yg
01-30-2014, 07:44 AM
That wont last, his shot is broken.

Take your hating arse back to the suns forum

HeatBeat
01-30-2014, 07:47 AM

Cant have an opinion on this board anymore, without being called a hater.

HeatBeat
01-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Chalmers is better than Marshall agree or disagree?

HeatBeat
01-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Kendall Marshall is a career back up for a BAD team.

Tony_Starks
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Marshall has great court vision, but his shot is broke and his defense is horrendous. In tandem with Farmar he could be decent, otherwise don't believe the hype....

Tony_Starks
01-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Chalmers is better than Marshall agree or disagree?

Agree. Chalmers can lock down on D and is a clutch shooter...

This is from a Laker fan btw.

J4KOP99
01-30-2014, 12:57 PM
chris duhon.

Chronz
01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
chris duhon.

Wat about him?

Duncan = Donkey
01-30-2014, 08:33 PM

:laugh2:

sunsfan88
01-31-2014, 03:52 AM
Marshall is the non athletic version of MCW.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-31-2014, 04:28 AM
Marshall has great court vision, but his shot is broke and his defense is horrendous. In tandem with Farmar he could be decent, otherwise don't believe the hype....

best 3pt percentage in the league :shrug:

jerellh528
01-31-2014, 04:55 AM

For his value, I'd rather keep him and have him come off the bench. His court vision and iq seem rare, if he can work on his defense and hit the weight room hard with a more developed interior game he could be starting quality. I'd like to see what he could do with a full offseason and training camp in this system under his belt instead of being thrust into the starting lineup out of the blue/ d league. But his value is small right now, mostly because of sample size.

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 05:20 AM

Lin may qualify as a "nobody to somebody", but Marshall is one year removed from being a lottery draftee, and his key weakness at the time - which he seems to have worked on - was his shooting. He was shooting well in his brief stop in the D-League this year, so D'Antoni deserves no credit for it.

Other than his shooting, what he's doing is what he was expected to do. He was considered the best passer - and the best floor general - in the draft at the time. So this should not be a shock. This was not a "nobody".

Nearly every player drafted each year has flaws in his game. As a rookie, the most you can hope from most of them is flashes of what they're capable of. It's not until year two that you see what you've got. That's when you see who went back to the drawing board in the off-season and worked on their game. Marshall appears to be one of those. He's legit, and the Lakers just got a leg up on their rebuild. They've still got a long way to go, but he's a keeper.

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 05:26 AM
As far as Marshall, I can see MDA saying trade away Blake or farmar to keep Marshall.....I bet you he would

He should. Blake, anyway.

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 05:30 AM
Marshall,honestly, impressed me just because he came in a losing team in the Nba from the D-League and he still can rack up some points and dish a good amount of assists.His D is atrocious anyway and he gest torched by every ****in pg in the league. Maybe under a new coach he can learn at least basic D for a point guard. Also his shot is improved,but he needs to improve it even more to be a reliable shooter(his mechanics are ish,but I guess he's comfortable with those).

As long as he hits, his mechanics aren't important. He's never going to be a shoot-first threat. All he'll do is shoot as a complement, to keep defenses honest. So the low release point is less of a problem.

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 05:35 AM

Pretty sure they will a year from now.

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 05:39 AM
D'antoni was always known for building great names out of nothing. He sees skills that no other person can see.

Except that most of the skills Marshall is exhibiting most GMs did see, and the one that Marshall has just recently developed - his shooting - D'Antoni had nothing to do with.

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 05:43 AM
Late 2nd picks or other team mediocre players im guessing would be his value.

Wow. So he got drafted 13th overall just over a year ago, IMPROVES his game's biggest weakness significantly, and he drops to the bottom of the 2nd round. Hilarious.

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 05:49 AM
best 3pt percentage in the league :shrug:

"His shot is broken" means it's ugly. I could give a ******* what it looks like as long as it goes in. The only reason one would want a player to work on his mechanics was either if A) the shot's not going in, or B) he will be counted on to score, and he won't be able to get his shot off with a low release point.

Marshall only shoots to complement his passing and penetration, when the defender sags off him. So his shot is not "broken".

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2014, 06:06 AM
Wow. So he got drafted 13th overall just over a year ago, IMPROVES his game's biggest weakness significantly, and he drops to the bottom of the 2nd round. Hilarious.

Do you think a team would give up a first round pick for him then? I just dont see it.

Open question to anyone who wants to answer, would you give up a 1st for Marshall?

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2014, 06:07 AM
Pretty sure they will a year from now.

How much $ and how many years?

MickeyMgl
01-31-2014, 09:03 PM
How much $ and how many years?

How should I know? I can just see them committing to him a year from now if he continues to develop as well as he has.

Bruno
01-31-2014, 09:52 PM
i don't know whats gona happen with all these point guards.

jsthornton7
01-31-2014, 10:04 PM
I only really care about keeping Farmar as our back up PG. He is the only two-way player of Blake, Marshall or Nash. Blake should definitely be traded, Nash should have already retired, and Marshall can stick around at the vets min as our 3rd string PG.

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2014, 03:13 AM
How should I know? I can just see them committing to him a year from now if he continues to develop as well as he has.

What do you think he will get?

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2014, 03:14 AM
i don't know whats gona happen with all these point guards.

Ge rid of them and get a good one would be a nice start, jk.

MickeyMgl
02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
I only really care about keeping Farmar as our back up PG. He is the only two-way player of Blake, Marshall or Nash. Blake should definitely be traded, Nash should have already retired, and Marshall can stick around at the vets min as our 3rd string PG.

Marshall's more of a two-way player than Farmar. Frankly, I think Marshall's defense is being underrated because of the team's poor defense overall. Regardless, whether or not Marshall could qualify as a two-way player even in a good defense, Farmar has NEVER been a two-way player. Blake is probably the closest the Lakers have to a two-way PG.

MickeyMgl
02-01-2014, 06:10 PM
What do you think he will get?

I do not know. As little as they can get him for, and as much as he can get. "Negotiation". How about, at least as much as his original rookie contract, which means at least $2 million per. Just a guess.

I do believe that it'd be long-term, barring a sudden backslide in his game before the end of next season. Given the very limiting CBA, nowadays "long term" should probably mean any contract that's 3 years or more.

Statistically speaking, he's playing at an All-Star caliber level, don't you agree? I'm guessing that the difference we might have is you don't believe he can sustain it. I believe he can.

jsthornton7
02-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Marshall's more of a two-way player than Farmar. Frankly, I think Marshall's defense is being underrated because of the team's poor defense overall. Regardless, whether or not Marshall could qualify as a two-way player even in a good defense, Farmar has NEVER been a two-way player. Blake is probably the closest the Lakers have to a two-way PG.

Numbers say otherwise.

http://www.82games.com/1314/1314LAL.HTM

MickeyMgl
02-02-2014, 04:32 AM
Numbers say otherwise.

http://www.82games.com/1314/1314LAL.HTM

Depends on which numbers you focus on.

Compare Marshall and Farmar here:
http://www.mysynergysports.com/

Marshall
FG 39.4% allowed
3FG 27.5% allowed
.81 points/possession

Farmar
FG 40.3% allowed
3FG 45.5% allowed
.86 ppp

Duncan = Donkey
02-02-2014, 04:54 AM
I do not know. As little as they can get him for, and as much as he can get. "Negotiation". How about, at least as much as his original rookie contract, which means at least $2 million per. Just a guess.

I do believe that it'd be long-term, barring a sudden backslide in his game before the end of next season. Given the very limiting CBA, nowadays "long term" should probably mean any contract that's 3 years or more.

Statistically speaking, he's playing at an All-Star caliber level, don't you agree? I'm guessing that the difference we might have is you don't believe he can sustain it. I believe he can.

I don't think his numbers are anywhere close to all star caliber. I do believe he can keep putting up 10 and 10 in Dantoni's system, I don't think his 3pt shooting stays as high as it though.