PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think Dante Exum goes?

mrblisterdundee
01-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Where do you think Dante Exum, a highly touted phenom from Australia who just declared (http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10363177/dante-exum-declares-2014-nba-draft), goes in the draft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kRg_ewRp4Y

He's apparently already thought of as a top-five pick, and at 6'6", 188 pounds, a franchise point guard. I don't know much about him, and I do know that the NBA is already stacked with decent point guards.

Bishnoff
01-28-2014, 11:09 PM
I've always thought he could go #1. My opinion hasn't changed.

BHF
01-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Toronto Raptors

shep33
01-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Top 6. Depends on which teams are drafting. The one knock is that he plays against pretty poor competition, but he also played very well at the Nike Hoops Summit

I still think the kid is going to be a beast though.

JEDean89
01-28-2014, 11:19 PM
he's gonna be ridiculous, i'm taking him 3rd after embiid and wiggins if i'm a gm. parker 4th, vonleh 5th, randle 6th, smart 7th, gordon 8th. those are the top 8 picks and any one of them has a chance at being the best player in this draft.

Asik's better
01-28-2014, 11:39 PM
I wish he would of spent a year at college, however if he is good as people say he can be, he is going to be awesome. On a side note Australian basketball is in fantastic shape heading into the world championships and Olympics.

2-ONE-5
01-28-2014, 11:40 PM
not buying into the hype just yet. hes not a pure PG and isnt much of a shooter

RipCity32
01-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Detroit!!!

NBA_Starter
01-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Wherever Charlotte picks.

Bishnoff
01-29-2014, 12:32 AM

Wow, have you watched him play? He's an excellent passer and a very good shooter, right out to NBA 3 point range. He is a score-first PG but don't discredit his passing and ability to run an offense.

RLundi
01-29-2014, 12:39 AM
he's gonna be ridiculous, i'm taking him 3rd after embiid and wiggins if i'm a gm. parker 4th, vonleh 5th, randle 6th, smart 7th, gordon 8th. those are the top 8 picks and any one of them has a chance at being the best player in this draft.

Vonleh 5th?? Wow.

urban85disciple
01-29-2014, 01:10 AM

Wow, have you watched him play? He's an excellent passer and a very good shooter, right out to NBA 3 point range. He is a score-first PG but don't discredit his passing and ability to run an offense.

Have you seen him play? If so, please tell me where cause the biggest knock on him by scouts is that he's not a shooter. He's a MCW clone.

He'll be decent but he in no way should be a top 3 pick.

mrblisterdundee
01-29-2014, 01:22 AM
I wish he would of spent a year at college, however if he is good as people say he can be, he is going to be awesome. On a side note Australian basketball is in fantastic shape heading into the world championships and Olympics.

Wouldn't you love to have Andrew Bogut, Kyrie Irving, Dante Exum and Patty Mills on your team? Not to mention that Australia turned out Lauren Jackson, one of the best female basketball players of all time.

mrblisterdundee
01-29-2014, 01:30 AM

One of his few relative weaknesses is his shooting, which I think will improve with his physical strength.

MagicBucsSox
01-29-2014, 01:35 AM
Wouldn't you love to have Andrew Bogut, Kyrie Irving,Dante Exum and Patty Mills on your team? Not to mention that Australia turned out Lauren Jackson, one of the best female basketball players of all time.

Kyrie Irving is from New Jersey. He's one of us. He left Australia at 2 damn yrs old. That's like Brooklyn claiming MJ .

sixer04fan
01-29-2014, 01:38 AM

Pretty sure his biggest weakness is shooting...

MagicBucsSox
When will you ppl stop caring about these and1/ ball is life /summer league or exhibition videos? You're fooled ever year

Bishnoff
Have you seen him play? If so, please tell me where cause the biggest knock on him by scouts is that he's not a shooter. He's a MCW clone.

He'll be decent but he in no way should be a top 3 pick.

Ah yeah, in the Australian School Championships at Kilsyth and Knox, Victoria Australia. Both stadiums are about 10 minutes drive from where I live. Exum almost averaged a triple-double throughout the tournament with 28.2 PPG, 10.5 RPG, and 9.6 APG. I've been following this kid since he was 15.

The Exum/MCW comparison isn't the worst I've heard, but in my opinion Exum is already a better shooter (although he is streaky), far more athletic, and a better decision maker. Exum is only 18 years old (MCW was 21 when drafted and a sophomore) and his stroke should only get better since he is a very hard worker.

JWorthy42
He said his two favorite teams are the Magic and the Lakers...oh and he also signed with Rob Pelinka today, who happens to also be Kobe's agent.

If the Lakers get a Top 5 pick, this kid is going to be a Laker.

FriedTofuz
01-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Dante is sick. I could easily see him going to the lakers if they remain in the lottery lol

Asik's better
01-29-2014, 03:40 AM
Kyrie Irving is from New Jersey. He's one of us. He left Australia at 2 damn yrs old. That's like Brooklyn claiming MJ .
Dosnt matter how long he spent in Australia. All I care about is him not making the US team and come play for Australia.

Sadds The Gr8
01-29-2014, 03:42 AM
hopefully he sucks in the combine for some reason and falls to the Raps

MagicBucsSox
01-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Dosnt matter how long he spent in Australia. All I care about is him not making the US team and come play for Australia.

Lmao he's not playing got Australia

Kyben36
01-29-2014, 08:32 AM
really no telling, but for sure IMO top 10, somebody will take a chance on him, if nothing less that high.

I want to say the top 5 is going to be in my order

Parker (as long as he comes out )
Embid (7 footers like this are rare and hard to come by)
Exum
Smart
Wiggins

urban85disciple
01-29-2014, 11:06 AM
really no telling, but for sure IMO top 10, somebody will take a chance on him, if nothing less that high.

I want to say the top 5 is going to be in my order

Parker (as long as he comes out )
Embid (7 footers like this are rare and hard to come by)
Exum
Smart
Wiggins

If Exum is drafted over Wiggins, that GM should not only be fired, but taken out to the parking lot and shot.

You're going to draft a kid very few people have actually seen play (and against lesser competition) over the most hyped prospect since LBJ who actually plays college ball?

Makes no sense whatsoever. Only Aussie homer-ism can see this as a rational decision. Not sure why you have him 3rd.

2-ONE-5
01-29-2014, 11:10 AM

no i havent and neither has anyone else on here. having a good few games at the hoop summit where there is no pressure isnt enough for me to buy into him. i dont know where your gettin your info from but his knock from what i read is that his shot isnt all that good

Goose17
01-29-2014, 01:06 PM

Ever heard of a guy called Derrick Rose?

Besides, he's vastly improved his stroke from deep in the last 6-9 months. It's not great but it's consistent enough to help spread the floor.

no i havent and neither has anyone else on here.

Have you asked everyone on here? I've seen him play (not in person).

Heediot
01-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Top 5 but not number 1. Orlando & Milwaukee need a PG. Sacramento, Lakers & Boston are possible also.

Goose17
01-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Pretty sure his biggest weakness is shooting...

I would say his biggest weakness is man on man defense. He's quick enough to stay in front of guys but his footwork and instincts aren't where I would like them to be for a player like him. On top of that he won't be strong enough to guard some NBA off-guards if he does end up playing combo.

His consistency shooting might be an issue but it's still decent and not really a "weakness" as such, just an area where he's merely "average" as opposed to above average. And he's improved on it a lot in the last 6-9 months or so.

BoSox47
01-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Celtics will pick him considering they have the 4th pick and embiid wiggins and parker are all gone

2-ONE-5
01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=Goose17;27888334]Ever heard of a guy called Derrick Rose?

Besides, he's vastly improved his stroke from deep in the last 6-9 months. It's not great but it's consistent enough to help spread the floor.

you mean Rose who led hid squad to a final 4 apperance and played against 10x better competition, that Rose?

BoSox47
01-29-2014, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Goose17;27888334]Ever heard of a guy called Derrick Rose?

you mean Rose who led hid squad to a final 4 apperance and played against 10x better competition, that Rose?

to be fair douglas roberts and i think dorsey went on to play in the nba too.

2-ONE-5
01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
and didnt last long...

Bishnoff
01-29-2014, 05:52 PM
no i havent and neither has anyone else on here. having a good few games at the hoop summit where there is no pressure isnt enough for me to buy into him. i dont know where your gettin your info from but his knock from what i read is that his shot isnt all that good

I've gotten my info from watching him play full games... Unlike others that are just reading scouting reports or watching his highlight videos.

Bishnoff
01-29-2014, 05:56 PM
I would say his biggest weakness is man on man defense. He's quick enough to stay in front of guys but his footwork and instincts aren't where I would like them to be for a player like him. On top of that he won't be strong enough to guard some NBA off-guards if he does end up playing combo.

His consistency shooting might be an issue but it's still decent and not really a "weakness" as such, just an area where he's merely "average" as opposed to above average. And he's improved on it a lot in the last 6-9 months or so.

Thank you. It's nice to get another opinion from someone who has actually watched him play. I love it how so many people think they are an expert because they can recite someone else's opinion or have watched a couple of minutes of highlight footage.

Goose17
01-30-2014, 11:55 AM

That's irrelevant, you were criticizing him for not being a "pure pg" and not "much of a shooter" ... if someone had quoted that sentence out of context, one of the first players that comes to mind is Rose. (on top of that you were wrong about him being "not much" of a shooter, he's improved his shooting he's merely average but he's not below average and he can shoot well enough for a rookie)

These archaic and outdated ideas people have of what a player in a specific position should do have no place within modern basketball. Personally I prefer players like Nash, Stockton, Payton etc but playing differently isn't the same as playing wrong. Guys like Rose and Westbrook still have a place within this league and its history books.

Thank you. It's nice to get another opinion from someone who has actually watched him play. I love it how so many people think they are an expert because they can recite someone else's opinion or have watched a couple of minutes of highlight footage.

No worries. I haven't seen much of him, it's a small sample size, just a handful of games but enough to get a rough idea of what he's capable of.

ManRam
01-30-2014, 12:03 PM
I prefer him slightly to Smart for the Magic at this point. So 4 probably (behind Parker, Wiggins and Embiid). Yes, we "need" a PG or what not, but we still need to be taking best player available, so I still really want one of those three. I think that's a clear tier 1 and Exum starts tier 2.

ManRam
01-30-2014, 12:05 PM
that's irrelevant, you were criticizing him for not being a "pure pg" and not "much of a shooter" ... If someone had quoted that sentence out of context, one of the first players that comes to mind is rose. (on top of that you were wrong about him being "not much" of a shooter, he's improved his shooting he's merely average but he's not below average and he can shoot well enough for a rookie)

these archaic and outdated ideas people have of what a player in a specific position should do have no place within modern basketball. personally i prefer players like nash, stockton, payton etc but playing differently isn't the same as playing wrong. Guys like rose and westbrook still have a place within this league and its history books.

preach

Goose17
01-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Am I the only person not convinced by Wiggins? I don't think he's top 3 in this draft.

MrfadeawayJB
01-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Top 7 for sure. It is either him or smart as first pg selected

Heediot
01-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Am I the only person not convinced by Wiggins? I don't think he's top 3 in this draft.

He's steadily improving as the year goes on. His game is too inconsistent right now, hard to be convinced. I still think he's a top prospect. Number 2 behind Embiid and ahead of Parker.

Parker will win ROY next year if he is in the league but long term I think Wiggins will be better once he figures it out.

People ignore Wiggins' defense because all they rely on judging him are highlights and stats. He is going to be a top 5 perimeter defender in this league.

ManRam
01-30-2014, 01:06 PM

No.

But I don't think you should be unconvinced. He started off a bit slow, but I think people were putting too much weight on the results he was having very early in his freshman year of college. The skills are still so obvious to me. His potential still jumps out. Sure, Embiid started to overshadow him, but a couple month's worth of play doesn't mean all that much. I've watched each of his last two games, and he was torrid and showing a lot of ability. I don't think how many points he scores ever really matters, it's his ability and potential. I think the ultimate point is: it's not how good these guys are now, it's how good you think they'll be 3-4+ years from now. I think the hype he got out of HS was warranted, and I still think it's there.

But lots of people have been knocking him down a peg or few. And I'm just a guy who's seen him 4 or 5 times, so what do I know?

He gets knocked for looking complacent, which could be a bad thing. But I don't think there is a freshman this year looking more forward to the NBA than him. He was a one-and-done guy from the start. Drummond got the same knock, and look how he's turned out. I think he just sees this as a transition year and knows that the NBA is all he cares about. But again, that's just speculation and what do I know?

jsthornton7
01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
I still think Wiggins should be 1st off the board, but it's too hard to judge at this point.

If the Lakers ended up with Wiggins, Embiid, or Exum I would be pretty damn happy.