PDA

View Full Version : Which Past NBA Stars that would still dominate in this generation ?

Singhkumar9219
01-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Except for Jordan i can see alot of past NBA Stars not having the same impact in this day and age whether it be not being able to keep up with growing skill set of every position. That being said I still think they are a hand full of players that would still be able to win a title or even win their first title in this generation. I personally think players like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't be close to the players they were, it pretty obvious. But I wonder if they would still be superstars in this generation ? They are some superstars that could even been forced into being role players because of their skill set. Name one star that would dominate and one that would be pushed around

DreamShaker
01-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Wilt would not be pushed around in any era. Dude would be the biggest and strongest player in the NBA. He benched 500 pounds. He was also a freak athlete. Put him with today's nutrition and recources, he would dominate. Bill Russell jumped over a dude once for a layup. He would be fine. He would be DPOY. And still suck at scoring. Lol.

DreamShaker
01-28-2014, 11:33 AM
As far as struggling, those guards would have to learn to dribble with both hands ;)

Slug3
01-28-2014, 11:47 AM
They all would most likely be fine. Why? Because they would have the same opportunity as today's starts. Training, workout regimens, possibly illegal drugs as well. Just because in the 60s/70s they didn't look as big or athletic as they do now, doesn't mean if they played in today's game they would still look the same. They would have the use of the advancements in technology that our players have now.

jaydubb
01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Wilts an obvious one IMO he'd dominate any era

I think magic would be great

Pete maravich

Bill Russell would be a Dennis rodman type player in this generation

Hakeem olajuwan would dominate

Kareem Abdul jabbar

Michael Jordan of course

jaydubb
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Jerry west would be another one IMO that would dominate.. Dude was one of the best shooters plus was very athletic and a great passer a great defender. Idk why I didn't put him up there to begin with

JNA17
01-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Wilt Chamberlain. He would by far be the best center in the league if he played today.

One of if not the most physically gifted players of all time. Can run as fast as most guards, one of the best passing big men of all time who one time LEAD THE LEAGUE IN ASSISTS! Dominate offensive presence and defensive presence, whichever side of the court he feels like playing the most. He's also VERY durable with his ability to play 46 or 47 minutes per game every season without much fatigue.

Very flexible, you tell him to score more, he will score more. You tell him to set up his teammates more, he will do just that. Want him to just focus on the dirty work like defense and rebounding? He will excel at it.

Some people call Lebron the most physically gifted but I would love to see how people would react with a Prime Wilt in today's era. He would make almost every center today his *****.

mdm692
01-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Barkley
KAJ
Ewing
Dr J
Reggie Miller
Wilt
Larry Bird

mdm692
01-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Pippen and Hakeem also.

SMH!
01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Hakeem would be fun to watch today against the weak competition of bigs

LAKobeBryant
01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
any true centre would dominate in todays league.

tredigs
01-28-2014, 02:41 PM
The majority* of stars from the past would dominate in today's league (or have a similar impact), though there would be an acclimation process for the early guards to learn the modern fundamentals with dribbling and varying shooting techniques (though there's a ton they could teach about rebounding and positioning techniques that have been lost).

The 80's and 90's ones are all obvious, they'd transition seamlessly and crush. And virtually any superstar big from any era would be the best big in the NBA today as they were, forget acclimation. The OP's Wilt and Russell comments had me cracking up, especially Chamberlain.

PurpleLynch
01-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Chamberlain would dominante in any generation,he's a true center(maybe best) with unlimited physical tool.Frankly,if stars from the past could access modern technology,anyone of them could compete in this league.
I take as example Jesse Owens:he did 100 m in 10"2 in 1936,on a terrible track compared to now,with shoes that barely covered his feet,without modern training.Usain Bolt,in 2009(73 years have passed),just lowered Owen's record of 0"78 with the best our modern era can offer.Remember,0"78 is still a great improvement,but imagine if Owen could have Bolt's technology and modern training and medical staff.

I think in the modern Nba the only struggle would be integrating a big player in the modern playstyle,focused on long shots and small ball,instead of a post centered offense.
I player like Connie Hawkins could struggle in a modern Nba,but it's an exception imo.

shep33
01-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Shaq would dominate

ghettosean
01-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Shaq would dominate

This same with Karl Malone (because no one is giving him love)....

Any past star would really though.

SPURSFAN1
01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
David Robinson would dominate all these small slow weak centers.

MrfadeawayJB
01-28-2014, 07:00 PM
The real question is how many of these soft players this generation would be good in the 70/80/90s

eugene
01-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Stockton -> Malone.... :D

SeoulBeatz
01-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Shaq would dominate

This.

There is no big in the league who comes close to Shaq's level of dominance.

3RDASYSTEM
01-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Except for Jordan i can see alot of past NBA Stars not having the same impact in this day and age whether it be not being able to keep up with growing skill set of every position. That being said I still think they are a hand full of players that would still be able to win a title or even win their first title in this generation. I personally think players like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't be close to the players they were, it pretty obvious. But I wonder if they would still be superstars in this generation ? They are some superstars that could even been forced into being role players because of their skill set. Name one star that would dominate and one that would be pushed around

WILT was naturally stronger than SHAQ and in 10x the shape since he was Olympic star, his game would easily translate and dominate in any era, once a freak of nature always that, RUSSELL was basically RODMAN of his era so i'm sure the original RODMAN did pretty damn good in his era, same with RUSSELL who was a damn good athlete just not on WILT's level in my book

of course they would be SUPERSTARS, based on the impact and craft they had at what they do best

except for JORDAN? child please its plenty who would have same impact or better than JORDAN, it took him 7 years to win first ring while DREAM had his team in FINALS 2nd season so there's one for you outside of JORDAN(and many others I could name), he didn't pull a RUSSELL and win 11 in 13yrs, he won 6 out of like 15 or 16yrs, people act like JORDAN played 6yrs and retired a 6x champion, still 5 behind RUSSELL

3RDASYSTEM
01-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Stockton -> Malone.... :D

Yeah right, MALONE would still be a top scoring forward/player in his time with or without STOCKTON

STOCKTON without MALONE wouldn't have racked up the dimes he did while with MAILMAN

DCSportsIsPain
01-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Oscar Robertson would average a quintuple-double with these rules.

Storch
01-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Prime Shaq would dominate this league right now, there is absolutely no one out there that can guard him.

THE MTL
01-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Wilt would not be as dominant let's be serious.
He played 48.5mpg one season....with today's speed game that wouldn't happen.
He averaged 50ppg once. That wouldn't happen. It's called a zone defense.
100pt career high with countless 60 70pt games wouldn't happen from a center in today's game.

And Bill Russell isn't even the size of a center in today's standards

THE MTL
01-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Oscar Robertson would average a quintuple-double with these rules.

Really so he's going to get either 10bpg or 10 Steals per game?? Actually the rules from the old school favor steals more cause of hand checking so anything that stat would decrease.

D-Leethal
01-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Every HOF C ever.

THE MTL
01-28-2014, 09:16 PM
The real question is how many of these soft players this generation would be good in the 70/80/90s

I would love to see Westbrook in the 70s. He would easily average a triple double with 30ppg.

DCSportsIsPain
01-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Really so he's going to get either 10bpg or 10 Steals per game?? Actually the rules from the old school favor steals more cause of hand checking so anything that stat would decrease.

The key was widened from 12 feet to 16 feet for the 1964-1965 season. Robertson averaged 31.4PPG, 9.9RPG, and 11APG the season before the key was widened. He also averaged 11.9 FTA per game. When centers played the low post with man defense and more than a decade before the three point line. The following year, with the widened key, the Big O averaged 30.4PPG, 9.0RPG and 11.5 APG. Huge numbers both before and after the four foot addition to the width of the key altered the ability of big men to stand in the key for three seconds which has made it more difficult for bigs to dominate and easier for guards to get to the basket, changing the entire game beginning with the likes of Gervin, Thompson, Drexler, Bird and Magic. And some guy named MJ. And so on. None of those players dominate with a 12 foot key and players like Russell, Wilt, and Lew Alcindor like the Big O did. The most complete basketball player ever. All due respect to Magic and his ability to play all five positions.

mrblisterdundee
01-29-2014, 07:39 PM
We can now include Shaquille O'Neal on this list. He's the most physically dominant player in NBA history.

Supreme LA
01-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Rick Smits, Ewing, & Yao Ming would own all the centers of today. That's not a joke.

nickdymez
01-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Grant Hill

RaiderLakersA's
01-30-2014, 06:17 PM
All of them would dominate. The NBA is crap now, outside of 4-5 players.

asandhu23
02-01-2014, 02:12 PM
100pt career high with countless 60 70pt games wouldn't happen from a center in today's game.

uh... have you seen the footage of NBA from that era. they played full fastbreak games. That was an era when centers had to be able to run up and down the court.

asandhu23
02-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Nate Thurmond would do pretty good.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PPJxwv7_HVk/T1HR9dcIEAI/AAAAAAAADI8/I6qiimwUxtA/s800/Nate%2520Thurmond%25201969%25202.jpg

Kareem would do great.

Oscar Robertson would probably play LeBron role.

Rick Barry would do well.

George Gervin.

David Thompson

Alex English.

Chronz
02-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Yes he would, you're just focusing on the wrong barometers.

The game is slower, it might be more grueling due to that IMO but the biggest reason he wouldn't play that many minutes is because our understanding of the game has increased, exposure isn't as big of a necessity and most importantly you wouldn't find a coach crazy enough to put his star through that unless its D'Antoni/Thibs, nor would any management allow that. But you're neglecting many of the potential benefits from a lightened load, enhanced efficiency, durability and career longevity

Its mostly pace of play / minutes, but yes, zones have made it harder, especially without shooters. Zones have made it harder for all isolation players, that was the point of it. But he would still be the best offensive center in the game.

Thats why per game rates are meaningless without the context, by the metrics that actually matter, Wilt could arguably put up BETTER numbers.

6"10 230-255 throughout his career without the added benefit of modern training regimens and a massive wingspan hold up with ANY era.

lol, please
02-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Bird.

/thread

lol, please
02-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Prime Shaq would dominate this league right now, there is absolutely no one out there that can guard him.

Bogut would shut him down.

asandhu23
02-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Bogut would shut him down.

Phillies, wtf are you doing?

Hangtime
02-01-2014, 09:57 PM
You could cut Wilts numbers completely in half and he would still be the best today and starting in the all star game

Hangtime
02-01-2014, 10:03 PM
A lot of those old school players have something many young cats lack and that's fundamentals. They could impact many other phases of the game. Look how we praise Tim Duncan and how effective he continues to be today at his age. Tim is the closest thing remaining to the way the game used to be played. If he continues to hold his own does anybody really think other old school players couldn't take it today?

Heediot
02-02-2014, 06:31 AM
With the hand checking rules nowadays, the game caters to perimeter guys that can handle and penetrate, if you have a jumper to add to that even better. Rookie PG's come into the league and start off well, but if you can't adjust to others' adjustment you'll level off. (Knight, Jennings, Tyreke). Isiah Thomas would thrive in this league. Jordan, Magic, Bird obviously. Big guys with skill and defense will always thrive. They may have more obstacles now because of interior paint rules. Dr. J, Grant Hill would be beasting in today's game.

KnicksorBust
02-02-2014, 12:46 PM
People are talking about Shaq as a Past NBA Star. I vividly remember his rookie year and seasons with the Magic. For the first time on this site I feel old. :laugh:

gwrighter
02-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Give every star back then the same conditioning, health, nutritional & coaching advantages as the players of today and they would still dominate.

ThuglifeJ
02-02-2014, 03:37 PM
All. There's like no talent these days so many average players

KnicksorBust
02-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes he would, you're just focusing on the wrong barometers.

The game is slower, it might be more grueling due to that IMO but the biggest reason he wouldn't play that many minutes is because our understanding of the game has increased, exposure isn't as big of a necessity and most importantly you wouldn't find a coach crazy enough to put his star through that unless its D'Antoni/Thibs, nor would any management allow that. But you're neglecting many of the potential benefits from a lightened load, enhanced efficiency, durability and career longevity

Its mostly pace of play / minutes, but yes, zones have made it harder, especially without shooters. Zones have made it harder for all isolation players, that was the point of it. But he would still be the best offensive center in the game.

Thats why per game rates are meaningless without the context, by the metrics that actually matter, Wilt could arguably put up BETTER numbers.

6"10 230-255 throughout his career without the added benefit of modern training regimens and a massive wingspan hold up with ANY era.

What do you think about guards like Cousy/West/Frazier? How they would be able to adapt to a league with a 3pt line is pretty fascinating to me.

KnicksorBust
02-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Nate Thurmond would do pretty good.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PPJxwv7_HVk/T1HR9dcIEAI/AAAAAAAADI8/I6qiimwUxtA/s800/Nate%2520Thurmond%25201969%25202.jpg

Kareem would do great.

Oscar Robertson would probably play LeBron role.

Rick Barry would do well.

George Gervin.

David Thompson

Alex English.

Similar to my last post... I notice you picked two big men and athletic wings. How do you think the guards of the older generations would adapt?

lol, please
02-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Phillies, wtf are you doing?

I was just having a little late night fun. :hide:

kingsdelez24
02-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Elgin Baylor