PDA

View Full Version : Zuccarello Extensions?

IAmARanger18
01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
It's no secret me and Sly are on board for this :)

What's your price and terms for him if you're Sather.

IMHO, right now, i'd be willing to give him 3 or 4 years at 3.5-4M per.

He has been our best and most consistent forward all season. He is more than deserving of a long-term deal here with us. Just only a matter of win and not if.

Sandman
01-27-2014, 05:31 PM
He's showing skillz right now but not sure if the consistency is there yet for a long term deal.

Thats not his fault, this is his first big shot. He's never had a chance to show consistency.

With that said, if you got it down to 3-4m that isn't bad.

Does Zucs himself want a 3-4 year deal like that? I would think a 1-2 year deal for the same amount might be better for him cashing in the next time around.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-27-2014, 06:01 PM
He passed up better money elsewhere (overseas) in recent years just because he wanted to be a Ranger. I hope we give him a fair contract this time around. He may end the season around 20 goals and 50-60 points. For 1.15 mill that is a huge bargain. In pro athlete terms that is small because of agent commissions and NYC taxes. He may have only made around $400k this year after all is said and done.

IAmARanger18
01-27-2014, 06:03 PM
And right as I mention this..

On Monday morning, after pending restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello scored twice during Sunday's snowfall, Norwegian online newspaper Nettavisen reported the Rangers and Zuccarello's representatives at Newport Sports have begun negotiations exploring a potential extension to his one-year, $1.15 million deal.

Zuccarello's agent, Craig Oster, told the Daily News on Monday afternoon that while nothing new has happened recently, he and the Rangers have had "preliminary talks" and that both expressed satisfaction with their current arrangement and a willingness to revisit that discussion.

NY Rangers talk extension with Mats Zuccarello, Ryan Callahan ahead of free agency - NY Daily News

Would not involved
- Contract negotiations have started. Rangers talking with my agents now, but I have asked not to be involved in it, says Mats Zuccarello to the online newspaper.

There is no doubt that he has a strong wage increases in wait. Agents tend to compare their clients with other players who have signed new contracts and providing comparable performance, and in this case, Brad Marchand Boston Bruins set an example.

Marchand is 25 years and produced 36 points in 45 games last season. The previous year he produced 55 points in 76 games. A total of 91 points in 121 games those two seasons, averaging 0.75 points per game.

Marchand was called "restricted free agent" (RFA) when he signed his new contract, which is worth $ 18 million over four years - that $ 4.5 million is seasonal.

http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/vinte...cle3747494.ece

4 years at 4M per, get it done!

fingerbang
01-27-2014, 06:04 PM
I'd wait until the season is over.

IAmARanger18
01-27-2014, 06:57 PM
I'd wait until the season is over.

Rather lock him down before anybody else gets the chance to throw money at him. He's already shown how committed he is to us by turning down big money overseas to sign with us.

RangersMets
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
He is still very young, has shown top 6 capability in 3 different seasons with the Rangers. Works very well in AV's system.

He is an upcoming RFA.

I would give 5 years $19 million. Lock up a couple of those UFA years.

With the cap going up to $71 million next year, and continuing upwards after that, this contract would most certainly pay dividends.

If Kreider Stepan Nash is our 1st line set in stone, then Brassard is our only 2nd line player heading into next year (Richards bought out and Brassard does not produce enough... I'm just not a fan).

BranWingss
01-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Rather lock him down before anybody else gets the chance to throw money at him. He's already shown how committed he is to us by turning down big money overseas to sign with us.

You kind of disprove your own opinion with your second sentence. With New York, getting it done early is basically good for one thing, and that's figuring out the cap for your other free agents (including some prized ones). Mats would be better off waiting until the end of the season because right now NY could use a smaller sample choice when negioating.

I know he's on pace for about 60 points (oh-my) but generally when this happens, first year or so (not considered rookies) they lock down to 2 years at 7M. Now you're going a bit deeper with a few things here. Like someone said, aren't NY taxes higher? Mats is also 26 years old opposed to 22, which believe it or not is a massive difference.

Again, there's no rush on Mats' side. You can't blame him. As for going elsewhere in the NHL, do you really believe that? How often are offer sheets made? It's kind of an unwritten rule in hockey, as seen by other GMs reactions. I'm not sure with Mats. You could do a Victor Hedman/JVR type of deal. Pay higher now, lower salary during his peak years (his peak is likely coming up soon due to his style). Top of my head, you could do 6 years at 4M per year. Probably around what he deserves now. You could do 5 years at 5M per, which is more of the way I'm talking.

I can't remember when Brad Marchand signed his extension. It's a new cap era though. Marchand's also performed at a higher level for longer too. Offensively, Mats has the higher offensive upside.

BranWingss
01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
He is still very young, has shown top 6 capability in 3 different seasons with the Rangers. Works very well in AV's system.

He is an upcoming RFA.

I would give 5 years $19 million. Lock up a couple of those UFA years.

With the cap going up to $71 million next year, and continuing upwards after that, this contract would most certainly pay dividends.

If Kreider Stepan Nash is our 1st line set in stone, then Brassard is our only 2nd line player heading into next year (Richards bought out and Brassard does not produce enough... I'm just not a fan).

That contract is very fair UIMO

fingerbang
01-27-2014, 09:46 PM
He's restricted so they don't have to do anything now. On the other hand they have to figure out what to do with guys like Callahan and Girardi because they can test free agency.

bsi
01-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Sign him long term, if there was a player on this team that deserves a 5 + yr contract it is him. He is worth 4 + on the open market I would guess. See if ya get him for 3 or 3.5. He is part of the new core that includes Nash, McDonagh, Zuccarello, Moore, Staal, Kreider, Stepan and Brassard.....and Cally n Girardi if they can be signed. Speed, Skill, Patience and intensity, if the guy was 6'3 he would be insane, its really the only knock on him now after really improving this year.

IAmARanger18
01-28-2014, 11:55 AM
You kind of disprove your own opinion with your second sentence. With New York, getting it done early is basically good for one thing, and that's figuring out the cap for your other free agents (including some prized ones). Mats would be better off waiting until the end of the season because right now NY could use a smaller sample choice when negioating.

I know he's on pace for about 60 points (oh-my) but generally when this happens, first year or so (not considered rookies) they lock down to 2 years at 7M. Now you're going a bit deeper with a few things here. Like someone said, aren't NY taxes higher? Mats is also 26 years old opposed to 22, which believe it or not is a massive difference.

Again, there's no rush on Mats' side. You can't blame him. As for going elsewhere in the NHL, do you really believe that? How often are offer sheets made? It's kind of an unwritten rule in hockey, as seen by other GMs reactions. I'm not sure with Mats. You could do a Victor Hedman/JVR type of deal. Pay higher now, lower salary during his peak years (his peak is likely coming up soon due to his style). Top of my head, you could do 6 years at 4M per year. Probably around what he deserves now. You could do 5 years at 5M per, which is more of the way I'm talking.

I can't remember when Brad Marchand signed his extension. It's a new cap era though. Marchand's also performed at a higher level for longer too. Offensively, Mats has the higher offensive upside.

I understand that and I may have done that in my post, but sometimes money does get the best of people. But I do firmly believe that he is committed to us.

nyr2002nyr
01-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Just going by your example he would definitely take 9 mill over 2 (18 mill total) over 5 mill over 5 years (25 mill total) if I was his agent but that is a lot more than I would offer. If he took the 18 mill he would only give up 7 mill but have 3 more seasons to get paid at age 31. I think he would be willing to gamble that he could make 2.3 mill a year in the future. Plus the present day value of the money would be an added bonus since he would have an extra 8 mill to invest for those extra 3 years.

The difference in salary that I would propose would definitely be much more modest than 9 mill vs 5 mill. My idea could fall flat on its face but if we miss out on a bunch of overpaid players past their primes maybe it could work. I'd like a shot at it but it could work best in a no state income tax city like Dallas. NYC state and city taxes could really hinder my plan. There are some guys that would want the longer contracts for sure. I could also make other proposals for future 1-2 contracts if certain production plateaus were reached. I'd just like to cut salary cap fat for past their prime players. This would be looked at well by guys that want to earn the most because of their play and dissuade guys that are just looking to grab a big contract and then coast.

I'm sorry for going off topic. In this case for Mats I would offer a 2-5 year. I'd make it fair. Not a steal for the team but something that both sides can be happy about. I'd also give him a bit extra for this season since I read he took a little less so that the team could sign Step.

I keep coming up with 4/13

SLY WILLIAMS
01-28-2014, 02:27 PM
I keep coming up with 4/13

That is close to what I was thinking. I was thinking 3-3.1-3.2-3.3 for a total of 12.6 but I would throw in an extra 400k for this season so I'm at 4/13 as well.

metswon69
01-28-2014, 02:41 PM
He fits perfectly in AV's system, he's been arguably our most productive all around offensive player this year, and he plays his undersized *** off :).

3/10 or 4/13 or a little more sound fine by me.

NYRangers4Life
01-28-2014, 03:53 PM
We definitely need to resign this guy ASAP. He is all Ranger and all heart. The kid can play. Love Zucc!

SLY WILLIAMS
01-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Guys I screwed up by going off topic with all the general long term contracts talk. I ended up hijacking IamRanger18's thread from Mats contract. I moved all those basic non Zooks related contract strategy posts in to the Rangers Rumbling and Grumbling thread.

Sorry IamRanger18.

Redfish
01-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Guys I screwed up by going off topic with all the general long term contracts talk. I ended up hijacking IamRanger18's thread from Mats contract. I moved all those basic non Zooks related contract strategy posts in to the Rangers Rumbling and Grumbling thread.

Sorry IamRanger18.

Ok, give us all 20 laps and we'll call it a day! :)

SLY WILLIAMS
01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Ok, give us all 20 laps and we'll call it a day! :)

Is that it? I'm happy to do that for Mats. I thought you were going to make me wear a Flyers jersey as punishment. :D

YankeeFanAlways
02-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Zuccarello Extensions?

Hey Sly...And I thought that was his real hair !!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though I agree. I'd try locking him up sooner rather than later.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Zuccarello Extensions?

Hey Sly...And I thought that was his real hair !!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though I agree. I'd try locking him up sooner rather than later.

Hey dude. Nice to see you. I think we will probably sign him for 3-4 mill. Your hair joke went right over my head. What did I miss? :)

YankeeFanAlways
02-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Hey dude. Nice to see you. I think we will probably sign him for 3-4 mill. Your hair joke went right over my head. What did I miss? :)

Hair extensions are the rage nowadays. Stylists make short hair longer by attaching hair extensions. Oh well if you have to explain a joke, then its really not funny!!! nm

SLY WILLIAMS
02-08-2014, 03:25 PM
All the talk is about resigning Cally to that huge deal but there are other signings like Mats, Brass and maybe even Pou that Slats has to keep in mind as well.

Redfish
02-08-2014, 04:27 PM
All the talk is about resigning Cally to that huge deal but there are other signings like Mats, Brass and maybe even Pou that Slats has to keep in mind as well.

....along with Girardi and Stralman.

It seems like our defensive core is just now beginning to settle down and emerge as a strength of the team. It would be nice to lock-up some stability back there.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-09-2014, 12:37 PM
....along with Girardi and Stralman.

It seems like our defensive core is just now beginning to settle down and emerge as a strength of the team. It would be nice to lock-up some stability back there.

It would be interesting what the fans would pay guys on the team if they were all UFA. I'd keep Stralman for sure if we can sign him to a respectable contract. I'm still having trouble understanding Cally expecting 6 mill over 7 years. Mats may get half that salary for 4 years. Stralman may get around 3 mill as well.

bsi
02-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Toronto made a bad precedent with the David Clarkson contract, it's affecting our current conttact situation.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Toronto made a bad precedent with the David Clarkson contract, it's affecting our current conttact situation.

I understand your point but are we under an obligation to repeat other people's mistakes? I think if any other team would give Cally 42 mill they would have asked to talk to Slats. Reportedly 1 team talked to Callys agents and had no interest in those kinds of numbers.

nyr1980
02-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Horton in Columbus and Clowe in NJ did not help the situation either. All three got absurd deals.

Horton's is probably the most reasonable as it's only something like 5.3 vs the cap, but they gave him a seven year deal at 28 with a history of injuries and concussions.

bsi
02-09-2014, 03:46 PM

I understand your point but are we under an obligation to repeat other people's mistakes? I think if any other team would give Cally 42 mill they would have asked to talk to Slats. Reportedly 1 team talked to Callys agents and had no interest in those kinds of numbers.

Sather only granted one team permission, Buffalo was said to be interested but never got the permission Columbus did. I am not saying we are obligated to repeat mistakes but it changed what players of that level are worth. I personally think he should be traded even at the numbers Sather offered. I am sure a team like Anaheim, Vancouver, L.A, or even eastern teams like Montreal, Detroit and Philly would all want him. He will get his money if he holds out, personally I think he has given us little option but to trade him.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Sather only granted one team permission, Buffalo was said to be interested but never got the permission Columbus did. I am not saying we are obligated to repeat mistakes but it changed what players of that level are worth. I personally think he should be traded even at the numbers Sather offered. I am sure a team like Anaheim, Vancouver, L.A, or even eastern teams like Montreal, Detroit and Philly would all want him. He will get his money if he holds out, personally I think he has given us little option but to trade him.

I like Cally a lot but the numbers reported in the paper really scare me because right now he is a 40 point player. He may already be passed his prime. What will he be in 3 years? Bringing the thread back to Mats. A case could be made that Mats is the more valuable player right now.

bsi
02-09-2014, 04:07 PM

I like Cally a lot but the numbers reported in the paper really scare me because right now he is a 40 point player. He may already be passed his prime. What will he be in 3 years? Bringing the thread back to Mats. A case could be made that Mats is the more valuable player right now.

The case can be made that Mats is key to this team along with Nash, Richards, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal and Lundqvist. Those are our heavy lifters on this squad. He is a priority to resign IMO, as he is crucial to our PP and is key to that "3rd" line clicking, something often overlooked with him is his ability to PK as well.

bsi
02-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Zuccarello with over 8 minutes in the first period against the Canadian team, 0-0 starting the second.

redwhiteandblue
02-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Saw the last two... This is gonna be a stalemate game it feels like. I'm glued to this game though.