PDA

View Full Version : In response to the Chris Paul is overrated thread

Kushed
01-27-2014, 05:05 PM
I thought this was an interesting topic that could have some good debate if people kept the trolling and flaming out of it.

In my opinion, Chris Paul is overrated in the sense that there are other guys like a Tony Parker who are either just as good or right there with him. So I think he can be overrated by people who think there is nobody close to him.

However, the Clippers are a deep enough team to go on a run in the regular season without their star point gaurd anyway so you can't really use that as a reason to undervalue him.

At the end of the day, you would take a Chris Paul Clippers in a 7 game series than a non Chris Paul Clippers.

So I guess I think Paul is a mixture of overrated and not

Jamiecballer
01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
yeah that other thread getting closed was rather nazi like. i thought the OP's opinion was far fetched but are we not allowed to have far fetched opinions around here?

Cracka2HI!
01-27-2014, 05:35 PM
There have been many CP3 is overrated threads. That one was a terribly poor effort. This one isn't much better. So you think CP3 may be overrated and maybe not? That isn't thread material. Neither is saying the Wizards lose without Wall and the Clippers win without CP3. This forum already sucks, can you imagine if topics like that became thread worthy? It would be like if I started a thread saying something like Lebron is overrated because Melo scored 62 the other night. Sadly there were probably 12 threads similiar to that.

Goose17
01-27-2014, 05:47 PM
There have been many CP3 is overrated threads. That one was a terribly poor effort. This one isn't much better. So you think CP3 may be overrated and maybe not? That isn't thread material. Neither is saying the Wizards lose without Wall and the Clippers win without CP3. This forum already sucks, can you imagine if topics like that became thread worthy? It would be like if I started a thread saying something like Lebron is overrated because Melo scored 62 the other night. Sadly there were probably 12 threads similiar to that.

Or like saying Durant has clearly surpassed Lebron because he played better for three months?

holditdown
01-27-2014, 06:19 PM
He's a great PG, but people overvalue him because they overvalue the PG position.

Just because he's arguably the best PG in the league (Tony Parker) doesn't mean he's the type of player who can shake up the league.

SPURSFAN1
01-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Chris Paul Total Playoff games 40 ... ... ... ...
Tony Parker Total Playoff games 173 3 rings 1 finals mvp 4 finals appearance 6 conference finals

Please people.

naps
01-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Tony Parker Total Playoff games 173 3 rings 1 finals mvp 4 finals appearance 6 conference finals

Please people.

Dude, if you want to say Tony Parker is better than CP3 use some other arguments, not this horse****! Can you imagine if CP3 played with Duncan and Manu throughout their prime years?

SPURSFAN1
01-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Dude, if you want to say Tony Parker is better than CP3 use some other arguments, not this horse****! Can you imagine if CP3 played with Duncan and Manu throughout their prime years?

Tony Parker bounced Chris Paul 2 times before. The opposite hasn't happened. Both times it was Tony's team.

tredigs
01-27-2014, 07:37 PM
There's nothing wrong with a "X player is overrated" thread, it was the ridiculous premise that he was using as the crux of his argument. Essentially he was saying that because John Wall averaged more ppg then CP3 that gave him the nod as "as good or better". Meanwhile making no mention of MPG, scoring efficiency, or the playmaking ability (assist:TO ratio, etc) that tell a different story. It was just a really, really weak way to start a thread that would take a very strong argument to convince anyone.

This thread isn't much better in that you made no argument as to why you think TP is as good or better than Parker.

Tony Parker bounced Chris Paul 2 times before. The opposite hasn't happened. Both times it was Tony's team.
Tony didn't bounce anyone. The Spurs did. And of all teams in the NBA, that's the last one that you can argue is ran by one player (at least ever since the '03 Spurs with Duncan).

SPURSFAN1
01-27-2014, 07:45 PM
I don't agree with the title of this thread, but tony parker is just better than cp3. He just has so much experience/hardware.

Jamiecballer
01-27-2014, 07:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with a "X player is overrated" thread, it was the ridiculous premise that he was using as the crux of his argument. Essentially he was saying that because John Wall averaged more ppg then CP3 that gave him the nod as "as good or better". Meanwhile making no mention of MPG, scoring efficiency, or the playmaking ability (assist:TO ratio, etc) that tell a different story. It was just a really, really weak way to start a thread that would take a very strong argument to convince anyone.

This thread isn't much better in that you made no argument as to why you think TP is as good or better than Parker.

Tony didn't bounce anyone. The Spurs did. And of all teams in the NBA, that's the last one that you can argue is ran by one player (at least ever since the '03 Spurs with Duncan).

well we don't need to bring our PSD baggage into each thread. why not just challenge his line of thinking? make your case against his. i don't know whether the other guy was a new poster or not but we sure like to devour our own around here.

HYFR
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM

Please people.i

Tim Duncan...

tredigs
01-27-2014, 08:09 PM
well we don't need to bring our PSD baggage into each thread. why not just challenge his line of thinking? make your case against his. i don't know whether the other guy was a new poster or not but we sure like to devour our own around here.

Not sure what you mean by bringing baggage in, but the onus is on the person making the claim/thread against the status quo, not the other way around. No way to start a healthy debate if the opening post is a lazily written opinion with next to know facts to back up the claim. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

Jamiecballer
01-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Not sure what you mean by bringing baggage in, but the onus is on the person making the claim/thread against the status quo, not the other way around. No way to start a healthy debate if the opening post is a lazily written opinion with next to know facts to back up the claim. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

i'm just saying the responses are just as responsible for a quality thread as the actual OP's post. why not contribute to the young man/woman's education rather than have everyone take a dump all over his opinion.

is there some sort of certified exam required in order to post on this forum? there isn't, and i think sometimes we could all do to remember that.

nothing personal, and definitely NOT directed at you. but you are an influential poster in the NBA forum. :)

tredigs
01-27-2014, 08:26 PM
I know I can come off as an ornery bastard but lazy posts that are kind of taking shots at players (especially as the base of a thread) are just something I don't have patience for. I'm the same way with my friends in regular debates if they bring some weak **** to the table.

Maybe you're right though, I'll just pipe down and let you guys go at it and see if we can get a good convo out of it.

3RDASYSTEM
01-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Or like saying Durant has clearly surpassed Lebron because he played better for three months?

Or like me saying BRON is the 4x MVP winner for playing better in 3 months out of a what 6 month season? if KD has played better for 3 months then im sure the last 3 yrs have validated him worthy of MVP

This mvp race reminds me of the SHAQ/IVERSON 01 mvp race, where IVERSON was runner up year before and clearly one of the best players in the game(and ever) but SHAQ was the DIESEL, one of the best players in the game(and ever)

KD has been there so this is almost like a no brainer/media tired of giving it to BRON

or this is like a MALONE/BARKLEY moment over JORDAN in like 97' and 93'

3RDASYSTEM
01-27-2014, 08:44 PM

Please people.

getting drafted by a DUNCAN/POP led squad is million miles ahead of being drafted by N.O. and that suspect management out there

its like saying GRIFFEY only played in x amount of playoff games while JETER has absurd amount of trips and rings and alcs trips, but no way is he better, now I don't think CP3 is GRIFFEY but you get my drift

put GRIFFEY on YANKS and im damn sure he has 3-8 rings in 15yrs and put CP3 on SPURS and im sure they have 2-4 rings

one thing PARKER can do is drive to the hole and finish at higher clip, CP3 overpasses to me but it is his game so it is what it is, PARKER is what you need come playoff time, a allout attacker who keeps attacking putting pressure on defense, its why I rank IVERSON so high because he could do that also but play above the rim and also pull up from anywhere on the court, ala CURRY, the dad or son

CP3 doesn't have that motor to attack relentless all out for 7 game series, he has the game and know how just not the physical ability at this point, he's too chunky and that extra weight came from the knee surgery which has hindered his explosive part of his game in my book, still a all nba caliber but I would take PARKER over him at this stage, not when they first both came out in draft, not even close but injuries and the way PARKER developed his mid range game has put him right there or over

holditdown
01-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Why is CP3 getting fat though?

You would think as a perimeter playing quickness and stamina is important, but I guess he's not concerned enough to change.

Jamiecballer
01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
^ that's not Chris Paul you are seeing, that's Lowry doing his best impression :)

PatsSoxKnicks
01-27-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't agree with the title of this thread, but tony parker is just better than cp3. He just has so much experience/hardware.

Yeah but neither compares to Derek Fisher, who has 5 rings. He also bounced Tony Parker from the playoffs a number of times as well. Fisher has also been in more playoff games too so he has both more experience and hardware than Tony Parker. So clearly Fisher > Parker. :rolleyes:

SPURSFAN1
01-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Yeah but neither compares to Derek Fisher, who has 5 rings. He also bounced Tony Parker from the playoffs a number of times as well. Fisher has also been in more playoff games too so he has both more experience and hardware than Tony Parker. So clearly Fisher > Parker. :rolleyes:

Finals MVP. Nice try trololol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck9nyiwaTIg

Cracka2HI!
01-28-2014, 01:01 AM
I thought this was an interesting topic that could have some good debate if people kept the trolling and flaming out of it.

In my opinion, Chris Paul is overrated in the sense that there are other guys like a Tony Parker who are either just as good or right there with him. So I think he can be overrated by people who think there is nobody close to him.

However, the Clippers are a deep enough team to go on a run in the regular season without their star point gaurd anyway so you can't really use that as a reason to undervalue him.

At the end of the day, you would take a Chris Paul Clippers in a 7 game series than a non Chris Paul Clippers.

So I guess I think Paul is a mixture of overrated and not

Please people.

Kaner
01-28-2014, 03:10 AM
I think chris paul is just about the pinnacle of the pg position and perfect at nearly every aspect of it... However I think the pg position is the most overrated position and superstars at that position have the least impact.