PDA

View Full Version : NBA Hall of Famer Tom Gola is dead at 81

asandhu23
01-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Legendary La Salle basketball player and Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Tom Gola has died, his wife, Caroline, told the Philadelphia Daily News reported on Sunday.

Tom Gola, a three-time All-American at La Salle, still has the all-time college record with 2,201 rebounds.

He was 81.

A three-time All-American, Gola led the Explorers to the 1952 NIT championship and NCAA title in 1954. The national player of the year in 1955, Gola was named the most valuable player of both tournaments and remains the school's all-time leading rebounder and third leading scorer. His 2,201 rebounds remains an NCAA record.

Gola spent 10 years in the NBA, leading the Philadelphia Warriors to a championship in 1956 and was a five-time All-Star.

After his NBA career, he returned to his alma mater as head coach and eventually the school named its arena after him.

Born in Philadelphia, he spent the better part of his life there and remains a beloved figure in the city. Gola's health started to deteriorate in 2003 when he slipped, hit his head on a curb and fell into a coma. He suffered seizures and eventually moved into St. Joseph's Manor, where he died on Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10356868/tom-gola-la-salle-basketball-player-hall-famer-dies-81

:( one of my Warriors' first stars.

TheMightyHumph
01-27-2014, 01:23 AM
WAYBACK, when I was 11 or 12 (very early '60s) Tom Gola hit a shot, I believe at MSG, that bounced into the basket. He was just trying to save a ball that was about to go out of bounds, and just flung towards the Knicks offensive side of the court. The ball bounced once, and went in the basket.

I really don't even know in which portion of the game it happened (I'm pretty sure it wasn't a game winner), but for the next few games at the Garden, he was indriduced as Tom' Trickshot' Gola.

I wonder if anyone in here has ever heard that story.

kingsdelez24
01-27-2014, 01:30 AM
WAYBACK, when I was 11 or 12 (very early '60s) Tom Gola hit a shot, I believe at MSG, that bounced into the basket. He was just trying to save a ball that was about to go out of bounds, and just flung towards the Knicks offensive side of the court. The ball bounced once, and went in the basket.

I really don't even know in which portion of the game it happened (I'm pretty sure it wasn't a game winner), but for the next few games at the Garden, he was indriduced as Tom' Trickshot' Gola.

I wonder if anyone in here has ever heard that story.

Daaaamn.... how old are you?

TheMightyHumph
01-27-2014, 01:38 AM
Daaaamn.... how old are you?

63 1/2

DreamShaker
01-27-2014, 03:56 AM
When I vote on Player Elo Ratings, his name always pops up.

DreamShaker
01-27-2014, 03:59 AM
63 1/2

You got much wisdom to share. You are a little older than my dad, who I love hearing old hoops stories from. I always like hearing your take.