PDA

View Full Version : What kind of package could the Pacers get for Danny Granger? Should they Trade him?

xabial
01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
The Pacers are in a very unique situation. Danny Granger, no longer the face of the franchise after the emergence of Paul George, has become expendable for the Pacers.

The Pacers have their core locked and will give Lance Stephenson who is averaging 14.2 points, 5 assists, and 7 rebounds a game is due for a raise this season.

Granger is an attractive trade piece because he is a serviceable, talented player with an expiring $14MM contract.

Should the Pacers trade him? What could they get for him?

TrueFan420
01-26-2014, 06:21 PM
His back to back injuries will hurt his value big time. It will tough to deal him if they don't want to take back a contract. Cause a first and an expiring is too much.

JEDean89
01-26-2014, 06:25 PM
honestly if i'm larry bird, i have the best record in the nba and a great bench. granger scoring 12 ppg off the bench can be a huge difference in the playoffs. they're gonna need all they can get to win the chip and they aint getting better by trading him.

PhillyFaninLA
01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Lets take one of the best teams in the NBA and trade one of its important pieces....can you please become the GM of all of my rivals

IndyRealist
01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't think we can trade him for anyone that would give us a better shot in the playoffs, without taking back salary that would virtually guarantee Stephenson leaving in the summer. The Pacers could really use a defensive PF/C, and you can pick up a vet like that for the minimum near the deadline. I would trade some wing depth (combination Orlando Johnson, Solomon Hill, and/or Granger) for someone like Jordan Hill.

xabial
01-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Lets take one of the best teams in the NBA and trade one of its important pieces....can you please become the GM of all of my rivals

Without Granger they still had the best record in the NBA. With a core of Roy Hibbert/Danny Granger/David West/George Hill/Lance Stephenson they have one of the deepest teams in the NBA. They took Miami to 7 games without Danny Granger. He's not "untouchable", if your going to lose the guy to free agency after this year at least get something for him, if your still a contender with/without him.

Granger is not known for his defense, he's a bit injury prone, and he's already 30 years old. Don't keep Granger for 1 year only to let him walk, unless you plan on resigning him at a discount which is unlikely since Danny Granger is used to making $12MM-$14MM per year. If you resign him it will put the Pacers into deep luxury tax territory and personally I think his signing will hurt this team in the long run since Granger is turning 31 next season, and is really injury prone.

I'd rather trade his expiring for draft picks to a contender who wants to contend, or trade him for a position of need. (I think a Backup Center would be really helpful to have insurance for Roy Hibbert, but most fans I've seen say they a distributing PG as well)

They CAN let him expire going for it all this year, instead of trying to trade him for draft picks/ and/or a position of need. Still trading him helps this team more than keeping him.

UPRock
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
If he's willing to continue playing off the bench I don't see Indiana moving him.

DTownSkitzo
01-26-2014, 07:06 PM
The only way I see Indiana trading Granger is if they get back another expiring player that they think can help them more than Granger for the next playoff run. The truth of the matter is Granger's expiring $$ is more than likely going to go towards retaining Lance Stephenson, so I doubt they'd trade him for another player that's on a longer contract.

PurpleLynch
01-26-2014, 07:41 PM
They won't move him.They need everything that is avalaible to have a championship run in the playoffs!

Swashcuff
01-26-2014, 07:43 PM
He's still my favourite player in the league so I'll gladly give Evan, Spence or Thad for him.

John Walls Era
01-26-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't see how they can get better short term by trading him. They have a lot of depth already and Granger has proved he can light it up.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
30 year old expiring walking injury.

Probably can net a solid player (s) for a rebuilding team that needs to cut cap. But Indiana doesn't strike me as the type of team who would take on salary.

P&GRealist
01-26-2014, 08:38 PM
They need more 3 pt shooting. I say give the Lakers Granger and 1st rounder for Gasol and Meeks.

Bostonjorge
01-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Trade him for Shawn Marion. Marion guarded Lebron in the finals and shut him down.

TrueFan420
01-26-2014, 11:42 PM
They need more 3 pt shooting. I say give the Lakers Granger and 1st rounder for Gasol and Meeks.

Hahaha yea right LA isn't getting that type of deal from the pacers.

TrueFan420
01-26-2014, 11:43 PM
Trade him for Shawn Marion. Marion guarded Lebron in the finals and shut him down.

I don't see Dallas making that deal. Their in the playoff hunt and granger doesn't play often enough.

PacersForLife
01-27-2014, 12:31 AM
I don't see Dallas making that deal. Their in the playoff hunt and granger doesn't play often enough.

He hasn't missed a game since coming back from injury.

ChiTownPacerFan
01-27-2014, 12:56 AM

He's also looked horrendous. It's tough to even watch him out there at times. I don't think he has much of any trade value at all anymore.

JOSKOMANG4
01-27-2014, 01:14 AM
I know Pacer fans would kill me for this idea..

- Celtics acquire F D.Granger, SG L.Stephenson & F C.Copeland f

- Pacers acquire PG R.Rondo & F J.Green.

Pacers Lineup:

C- Hibbert
PF- West
SF- George
SG- Hill
PG- Rondo

Key Bench: J.Green, Scola, Mahini, Cj Watson

Pacers: Rondo is a pure PG who could distribute. This trade definitely puts them in contention with the Heat. Hill played his best days as SG for the Spurs; the trade can move Hill back to SG. Jeff Green definitely can play the position as 6th man.

Celtics: Acquiring a big expiring(Granger) & young asset to build your team around(Stephenson).

TrueFan420
01-27-2014, 01:19 AM

And how about over the last two years? Let's also not forget he looked horrible on the court.

Kyben36
01-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Eric Gordon

t_money25
01-27-2014, 01:56 AM
I know Pacer fans would kill me for this idea..

- Celtics acquire F D.Granger, SG L.Stephenson & F C.Copeland f

- Pacers acquire PG R.Rondo & F J.Green.

Pacers Lineup:

C- Hibbert
PF- West
SF- George
SG- Hill
PG- Rondo

Key Bench: J.Green, Scola, Mahini, Cj Watson

Pacers: Rondo is a pure PG who could distribute. This trade definitely puts them in contention with the Heat. Hill played his best days as SG for the Spurs; the trade can move Hill back to SG. Jeff Green definitely can play the position as 6th man.

Celtics: Acquiring a big expiring(Granger) & young asset to build your team around(Stephenson).

I HIGHLY doubt the Celtics would do this deal. Boston would be getting raped. They would be trading their best 2 players, one being arguably one of best point guards in the league and the other being their best offensive player by far to get Stevenson and a former all star who's coming off two injury plagued seasons and might not re-sign next year. Doesn't make much sense to me for Boston.

TheNumber37
01-27-2014, 02:30 AM
He's not going to stay with any team that acquires him and he doesn't really put any team over the top. They'd be getting him for cap relief which the pacers need because the have to keep Lance this Summer.

I say play it out, if an offer comes along that makes too much sense (first round pick) then of course you have to, but it won't.

PacersForLife
01-27-2014, 02:48 AM
He's also looked horrendous. It's tough to even watch him out there at times. I don't think he has much of any trade value at all anymore.

And how about over the last two years? Let's also not forget he looked horrible on the court.
This is true. I don't think we'll trade him anyways, I was just saying he looks like he might be able to stay healthy.

Rndy
01-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Not much they need Granger the only type deal I might see getting done is for another expiring + a pick they can't have any more long term money on the roster they need all the cap they can get for Stevenson so that expiring is more valuable to them than anyone else.

MTar786
01-27-2014, 08:23 AM
the pacers need that 6th man scoring machine kinda guy.. i.e. bobby jackson, jaosn terry, jamaal crawford, jr smith. if i were them i would trade granger only for players that are like that. possibly jamaal crawford and another good player packaged with him. or eric gordon etc.
i think thats all i need the pacers to get to convince me they can win it all.

JOSKOMANG4
01-27-2014, 10:43 AM
He's not going to stay with any team that acquires him and he doesn't really put any team over the top. They'd be getting him for cap relief which the pacers need because the have to keep Lance this Summer.

I say play it out, if an offer comes along that makes too much sense (first round pick) then of course you have to, but it won't.

I see what you have mentioned. I just believe the Pacers would be hesitant about trading Stevenson unless they acquire another asset. You could replace Green w/Wallace, but i'm pretty sure nobody wants to have that contract.

dodie53
01-27-2014, 10:54 AM
to the lakers for nash, swaggy p and pick

FlashBolt
01-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Lol. Some of you are putting his value at an insane volume. Granger is garbage. He proved so against Miami back in 2011 when he was visibly struggling and had a vendetta against LeBron. It got to the point where he couldn't control his emotions and wanted to fight LeBron and Wade. He is a laughing stock. With George running the team, he's not needed. Would he be a serviceable bench player? Yes, but he's going to suck it up in the Playoffs like he usually does.

D-Leethal
01-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Granger sucks, but I think he can contribute what they need better than anything they would possibly get in a trade for him without taking back salary.

Pacerlive
01-27-2014, 11:52 AM

He has looked rusty offensively but defensively he is posting a 0.75 ppp which is excellent. If anything he is another guy to throw at Lebron and he brings another dimension to his defense that Paul George doesn't have which is post up defense.

I think its more likely that a guy like Granger will improve offensively to the point that making a trade wouldn't be worth it in the long run especially considering the salary cap situation the constraints they are under.

GoBullsGo
01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
They should keep Granger until the end of the season, let him walk, and use that money on Stephenson.

celtNYpatsHeels
01-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Jeff Green and Bass for Granger and a 1st

Duncan = Donkey
01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Okafor and a 2nd for Granger:whistle: