PDA

View Full Version : Dogs pooh in line with the earth magnetic field.

ewing
01-26-2014, 01:37 PM
http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/6617/20140103/dogs-align-earths-magnetic-field-poop-squat-magnetoreception.htm

Dogs pooh in line with the earth magnetic field. What does that even mean? Any theories as to why they do it?

Chrisclover
04-05-2014, 06:45 AM
Amazing. I do not know, either.
Can I use a dog as a rudimentary compass when i get lost in the wild ?

subroc
04-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Amazing. I do not know, either.
Can I use a dog as a rudimentary compass when i get lost in the wild ?

Of course you can, but only if you are sure of these conditions:

However, when magnetic field (MF) conditions were unstable, their directional behavior was absent. If, for example, there was a solar flare, and the Earth's magnetic field became unstable, dogs would get confused - or at least, would start to poop in random directions.

So, I am not sure which compass would be your primary and which should be the back-up!

Chrisclover
04-05-2014, 11:06 AM
These scientists who studied this must be bored and had nothing else to do but glazed over some dogs pooping. And the first ever one who noticed it must harbor the same potential as Newton. Maybe a dog pooped on his head ?

subroc
04-05-2014, 11:16 AM
These scientists who studied this must be bored and had nothing else to do but glazed over some dogs pooping. And the first ever one who noticed it must harbor the same potential as Newton. Maybe a dog pooped on his head ?

This is the basis for a scientific grant. They could end up needing an entire team of scientists including geologists, animal behaviorists, astrophysicists, etc. A grant like this could be worth millions. The information it finally produces, well, not so much.

Chrisclover
04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
This is the basis for a scientific grant. They could end up needing an entire team of scientists including geologists, animal behaviorists, astrophysicists, etc. A grant like this could be worth millions. The information it finally produces, well, not so much.

Rich institutes.
Hope they end up with some novel designs which can be mass-produced based on their research though. Insert a chip to a helmet for a dog to stabilize the magnetic signal, and a dog compass is as reliable as we anticipate it to be . :laugh:

mike_noodles
04-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Having worked with over 500 different dogs in my career and doing soiling patterns, I believe this to be incorrect.

flips333
04-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Having worked with over 500 different dogs in my career and doing soiling patterns, I believe this to be incorrect.
They do not suggest that they always line themselves up perfectly... But the pattern of poop direction is statistically different from chance.

steelcityroller
04-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I remember as a little boy dreaming of the great scientific finds in our future....

subroc
04-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Are you a dog walker?