PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo May Join Chicago Bulls

kobe4thewinbang
01-26-2014, 05:39 AM
I think it would be sour for him to leave the Knicks after that big game he had the other night, but here's a report. Take it with a grain of pepper. I haven't seen it brought up yet on here:

Source: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/25/report-if-carmelo-anthony-leaves-new-york-he-is-leaning-toward-chicago/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

In the end, I still believe that Carmelo Anthony will be a New York Knick next season. When he surveys all his options, he will choose Manhattan, he will choose to go down as a Knicks’ legend.

But ‘Melo is going to look at his options closely. His amazing 62-point performance aside, the 16-27 Knicks’ struggles are clearly wearing on him — it doesn’t help the Knicks are largely locked into this same roster next season. The idea that ‘Melo could leave as a free agent this summer has shifted from “no way he leaves” to “he has to consider his options.”

Anthony knows those options and if he bolts he’s thinking about Chicago not Los Angeles, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.

The losing, the decaying roster, has inspired ‘Melo to consider closely the possibilities of free agency this summer. Within the past several weeks, a longtime confidant of Carmelo Anthony confesses, something changed. Never did he believe there was a chance Anthony would leave the New York Knicks – never the Madison Square Garden stage, never the $129 million contract extension.

Only now, the gloom of the Knicks’ season – the uncertainty of the franchise’s future – left that man to believe it’s possible Anthony could leave New York in free agency.

“Chicago is much more in play for him than L.A.,” the source said.

While the Lakers will have the cap space and likely would have a conversation with Anthony, the interest on their end isn’t as strong as some rumors suggest. They understand that a Kobe Bryant/’Melo team, with not much around that pair (they will be over the cap and not able to spend much on role players) is not going far in a deep West, nor is it building for the long term. That doesn’t even touch on the fact they would need to change coaches again. Expect the Lakers to be more aggressive in 2015 and beyond when they can go after players such as Kevin Love.

The Bulls are a more interesting fit. Chicago will have the cap space to sign Anthony after the Luol Deng trade and if they amnesty Carlos Boozer as expected (plus make a couple other small moves).

If you are going to win a title with Anthony on your team you need a strong point guard who can make sure the workload is shared and Anthony doesn’t become a black hole. The Bulls have Derrick Rose. Your team also needs a strong team commitment to defense and a big who can erase mistakes, because while Anthony has tried harder on defense the last couple seasons he’s still not good. The Bulls are the prototype of team defense. You need to be able to play Anthony at the four, which Chicago could do. ‘Melo would be an interesting fit in Chi-town.

I’m still not sold that the Tom Thibodeau/Anthony marriage would go well. I’m not sold the Rose/Anthony marriage goes all that well. I’m certainly not sold Anthony wants to leave being the guy at the center of the New York spotlight. I’m not sure he wants to leave that max guaranteed year of salary on the table (the Knicks can offer five years, the Bulls just four).

But it sounds like Anthony is going to seriously consider that option.

Paul Jeffrey
01-26-2014, 05:40 AM
If I'm Chicago I stay away from Melo.

Kyben36
01-26-2014, 06:09 AM
i still dont see it, unless melo takes a huge paycut, bulls would have to amnesty boozer and trade Taj just to bring him in, that, and the bulls still need to afford Nikola Mirotic if they get rid of boozer. which he can demand whatevs he wants, prolly around 6 mil, cant see the bulls getting melo personaly.

Heediot
01-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Rose-Butler-Melo-Gibson (if not traded for cap)-Noah is a championship contending team. Very well rounded squad.

Heediot
01-26-2014, 06:34 AM
i still dont see it, unless melo takes a huge paycut, bulls would have to amnesty boozer and trade Taj just to bring him in, that, and the bulls still need to afford Nikola Mirotic if they get rid of boozer. which he can demand whatevs he wants, prolly around 6 mil, cant see the bulls getting melo personaly.

Do they have Mirotics' bird rights?

Branwegner84
01-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Yes, they drafted him two years ago

Goose17
01-26-2014, 07:01 AM
If Rose returns he'll never get to shoot the ball again.

Bulls would need to trade Gibson. Warriors would happily take him off your hands.

Denver-boy
01-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Why wouldn't Houston be a Option LMFAO. over the hill kobe, no. heat cant afford melo. no. brooklyn no cap. no. knicks? your joking right? no Chicago bulls with a injury prone Derrick Rose. and melo is gonna sign his name to that contact. no.

if he wants to WIN... I could see him going to Houston. or Thunder. even Pacers, if they amnesty Granger.

Hugbees
01-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Doesn't make sense to me. At least the Knicks have cap room in a couple of years(Given the history, I'm actually surprised their management hasn't done anything to nullify that by pulling the trigger on some asinine trade) while the Bulls have no flexibility; gutting parts of the team just to make room. Is it really going to be a better scenario for him when it is all said and done? That is also not including the money that he will forfeit as well as the uncertainty that looms with Rose's future.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
01-26-2014, 08:48 AM
First off, no clue if this can happen or if it will happen. The one thing I do know is this: for years now, ever since Rose became an MVP caliber player, everyone outside of Chicago has said the Bulls need another viable scoring option to become a contender. Carmelo is arguably the best scorer in the game. The Bulls should not even hesitate. If it is not clear to everyone that Carmelo has matured and is sick of losing, than you are not looking at the complete picture. Melo is probably the only person on that Knicks team that still gives a damn. Bring him to a team like Chicago, with a very underrated set-up man in Rose, Melo could still take as many shots as he wants, but could not really be doubled(assuming Rose can return to pre-injury form.) I dont know if it would or could work financially, but if they amnesty Booz and maybe trade away a guy like Dunleavy, that leaves the Bulls with this lineup next year:

1. Rose/ Augustin/Hinrich?
2. Butler/Snell
3. Anthony/FA
4. Gibson/Rookie/Murphy
5.Noah/FA/Rookie

That team can easily compete with anyone and it looks beneficial for both parties. Melo can still be trigger happy in Chicago, he would still be the man, and he would get paid the max, or damn near close to it.

Interesting side note...
Lebron and Melo seem to be very good, close friends. Do you guys see any possible way Melo could take Bosh's spot in the Big 3? Put Melo at the 4, Haslem/Birdman/Rookie at the 5? Pat Riley is sneaky as hell, I could definitely see him trying to put something like this together to not only keep LBJ in South Beach, but to solidify Miami as the top team in the league

bholly
01-26-2014, 09:46 AM

Yes, they drafted him two years ago

Mirotic can't demand anything. His salary will be the rookie scale amount for the #23 pick in the 2011 draft - $1.003m. They don't have his Bird rights because he hasn't even signed a contract, let alone 3+ seasons ago (which is what they'd need to have his Bird rights). The answer to the relevant question for this situation is that his salary (or at least a cap hold for the same amount, which is essentially the same thing) will count against their cap this offseason unless they agree in writing that he won't play next season. So his salary isn't much, but it will decrease any cap space they have.

Chill_Will_24
01-26-2014, 12:39 PM
The notion that Melo and Rose can't play together is ridiculous. Rose is a scorer but he has great passing instincts especially off penetration and Melo is a great off the ball scorer hence why is usually the best player in international play.

Moreover in recent years Melo has shown a desire to pass and make teammates better. He is Also very good at passing off a double.

I think he and Rose would play great together similar to Westbrook and Durant.

Their supporting cast is Also superior in every way. Noah is imo the most impactful C in the game. Butler is a great defender and so is Gibson. That is a very balanced roster

Melo to the Bulls would be a great fit imo

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Why wouldn't Houston be a Option LMFAO. over the hill kobe, no. heat cant afford melo. no. brooklyn no cap. no. knicks? your joking right? no Chicago bulls with a injury prone Derrick Rose. and melo is gonna sign his name to that contact. no.

if he wants to WIN... I could see him going to Houston. or Thunder. even Pacers, if they amnesty Granger.

Joke smh

waveycrockett
01-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Melo to the Bulls would make a lot of sense. I think Coach Thibs would make Melo a winner, the way Doc Rivers did for Paul Pierce. Great fit.

shep33
01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
It's his best move. Hope he doesn't come to LA

3RDASYSTEM
01-26-2014, 02:38 PM

If the BULLS trade for MELO then they wont be giving him no paycut, they would have 2 max players in ROSE/MELO, if ROSE can come back and be explosive in good capacity then that's better than anything he has in NY at this moment, now add in management/coach and its a no brainer

TAJ is not better than MELO at the 3 or 4 spots and I don't know much about NIKOLA so you got me there

if you have any faith in NOAH/ROSE then it is clear as day that they need a player capable of dropping 30-50pts on any given night over a BOOZER/TAJ combo, clear as day

come playoff time you need dynamic playmakers in all facets, BOOZER nor TAJ fit that over MELO, ROSE can be the explosive playmaker in backcourt, NOAH can be the dynamic rebounder, defender and willing big man passer and MELO is the dynamic scorer/clutch frontcourt guy who can also rebound and play underrated team d, all needed for THIBS right about now

Jamiecballer
01-26-2014, 02:39 PM
The notion that Melo and Rose can't play together is ridiculous. Rose is a scorer but he has great passing instincts especially off penetration and Melo is a great off the ball scorer hence why is usually the best player in international play.

Moreover in recent years Melo has shown a desire to pass and make teammates better. He is Also very good at passing off a double.

Their supporting cast is Also superior in every way. Noah is imo the most impactful C in the game. Butler is a great defender and so is Gibson. That is a very balanced roster

i can't tell from your posts in this thread, as well as others, whether you love Melo or hate him. are you a bulls fan? are you secretly trying to sabotage them, is that it?

blahblahyoutoo
01-26-2014, 02:41 PM
The question becomes who chicago would be forced to trade in order to make the deal happen in a s&t.

3RDASYSTEM
01-26-2014, 02:46 PM
The question becomes who chicago would be forced to trade in order to make the deal happen in a s&t.

I know since DENG got dealt already, i'm thinking a 3 team trade where CHI would give up a combo of TAJ/BUTLER and picks for MELO/SHUMPER or SMITH combo

THIBS can control egos, he learned from VAN GUNDY/DOC very well, trust me

Westbrook36
01-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Thibs is one of the coaches in this league who would really help the way Melo plays the game. I think it's a pretty damn good fit for the Bulls, although hypothetically speaking in the future Kevin Love (If he leaves) would be incredible. The main thing with Melo is that you've got to surround him with the right parts defensively and have a good second option. Gibson, Noah, and Butler can all pony up on defense and then you've still got Derrick Rose who could come back healthy creating another number one/number two option next to Melo.

Goose17
01-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I know since DENG got dealt already, i'm thinking a 3 team trade where CHI would give up a combo of TAJ/BUTLER and picks for MELO/SHUMPER or SMITH combo

Why do you put random words in upper case? :/

JordansBulls
01-26-2014, 02:59 PM
If the Bulls are going to go after him then they should just trade for him now. They will have to get rid of players in the summer anyway to get him so might as well trade those guys now while they can.

Chill_Will_24
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM

i can't tell from your posts in this thread, as well as others, whether you love Melo or hate him. are you a bulls fan? are you secretly trying to sabotage them, is that it?
I hate the Knicks. I have slowly become a Carmelo fan. Me saying he is a "chucker" on the other thread doesn't mean I mean it as a negative. I consider Kobe a "chucker" but he's my fav player

I don't like the Bulls either. However I think they could be great with Melo

benny01
01-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Mirotic can't demand anything. His salary will be the rookie scale amount for the #23 pick in the 2011 draft - $1.003m. They don't have his Bird rights because he hasn't even signed a contract, let alone 3+ seasons ago (which is what they'd need to have his Bird rights). The answer to the relevant question for this situation is that his salary (or at least a cap hold for the same amount, which is essentially the same thing) will count against their cap this offseason unless they agree in writing that he won't play next season. So his salary isn't much, but it will decrease any cap space they have.

Mirotic can demand whatever he wants. he is absolutely not locked into the rookie scale, but your right that he has no bird rights as he has never signed a contract.

FlashBolt
01-26-2014, 03:46 PM
People need to give up on Rose. He's done. There is nothing about him at this point that speculates an all star Rose. Two knees blown up by someone who most heavily depends on then. While I agree Melo would be a good fit, in no way would this even be a contending team.

Jamiecballer
01-26-2014, 03:58 PM
I hate the Knicks. I have slowly become a Carmelo fan. Me saying he is a "chucker" on the other thread doesn't mean I mean it as a negative. I consider Kobe a "chucker" but he's my fav player

so when you refer to his chucking and selfish play, you are actually praising him. when you say his chucking very often hurts his team, you are praising him. that's odd.

LOOTERX9
01-26-2014, 04:15 PM
As a ny fan i want melo in chicago cause he would make bulls worst. I believe knicks will improve to atleast a 500 team if ny trades melo for assets

bholly
01-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Not really. They'd be better off (and it's totally feasible) dumping salary in other ways and signing him outright. He'd be better off that way too.

Chill_Will_24
01-26-2014, 04:49 PM

so when you refer to his chucking and selfish play, you are actually praising him. when you say his chucking very often hurts his team, you are praising him. that's odd.

Melo does hurt his team with his selfish play but consider the coach. When Woodson was in ATL it was all ISO Joe. He is a truly inept coach.

I truly believe under Thibs and with better teammates Melo's FGA would decrease and his efficiency would rise.

D-Leethal
01-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Melo doesn't hurt the team. If anything the team hurts him. His teammates are basically out there begging Melo to take the bulk of the shots, even when the ball moves it circles back to him. We don't have a top 30 PG and we don't have anyone besides JR freakin' Smith who can actually beat a defender so miracle ball movement doesn't lead to much more than Shumpert dribbling around and hoisting deep jumpers or Felton bricking ugly floaters - so it goes back to Melo.

D-Leethal
01-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Chicago is the only team that would scare me if they were able to secure max cap room. LAL doesn't make sense for a million reasons. LAC would require a trade and that is OK with me. Thats pretty much it as far as suitors go.

KnicksorBust
01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Thibs would hold him accountable on defense. Noah/Butler protect him defensively. (A healthy) Derrick Rose allows Melo to play off the ball and not have to create the whole offense. Chicago is the perfect team for him. The questions are:

Are the Bulls going to create the cap to max him?
Does Thibs/Rose want him in Chicago?
Is he willing to leave a guaranteed $31 million extra on the table?

I think the answer to at least one of those questions is going to be "no" and that will be all it takes to keep Melo out of Chicago.

Trueblue2
01-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Granger is an expiring

Btw anyone know if the Deng trade put chi under the luxury tax? And wouldn't that make them eligible for the full mle next offseason? If so they could sign mirotic w/the mle, amnesty boozer, trade away taj for a pick and get a TPE which = future flexibility, especially if they don't get the bobcats pick this year (trade that pick for a solid player in a position of need and absorb the contract w/the tpe).

Giving them a line up of:

Rose/Augustine/hinrich
Hinrich/butler/snell
Butler/melo/dunleavy
Melo/Mirotic/dunleavy
Noah/mohammed

They can go small ball like the line up above, or they can have a more traditional line up with melo playing the 3. That would be a team vets would be willing to take the min to play on. They could easily bolster that roster w/vets that think that team has a chance, their draft pick, players that were amnestied, through a trade using the taj tpe, and young players that showed promise but lost thier game for whatever reason and are looking to stay in the nba.

beasted86
01-26-2014, 05:05 PM

I don't think you are right at all about the salary. Four years have already passed since he was drafted. He can demand anything up to the full mid-level that the Bulls will have. His club in Europe is looking to sign him to a multimillion extension, and you factor in guys like Marc Gasol who took the same route and started off making $3M when he did come over... and I expect Mirotic to get a nice chunk of the MLE, probably $3M-$3.5M.

Edit: My fault, this summer he would be drafted 3 years ago.

COOLbeans
01-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Why does the articke assume that Derrick Rose will still be a great PG? He was a great player, but he hasn't played for 2 seasons. Jay Williams anyone? Melo's not going there because of that reason alone.

DR_1
01-26-2014, 05:07 PM
I hope we get him. I can't see him going to the Lakers. My bet would be on him re-signing with the Knicks though.

DR_1
01-26-2014, 05:08 PM

No way the Knicks are going to be getting Taj, Jimmy, and picks when the Bulls could just deal Taj then sign Melo.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
01-26-2014, 05:56 PM
People need to give up on Rose. He's done. There is nothing about him at this point that speculates an all star Rose. Two knees blown up by someone who most heavily depends on then. While I agree Melo would be a good fit, in no way would this even be a contending team.

lawl.. Tom thibodeau could throw me and you out there and make us look like contenders. Rose, Noah, Melo? That will definitely be a contender son

ramsizzle
01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Taj is playing very well and if we trade for him we might be able to add even more to the roster with having his bird rights. only noah, dunleavy, rose, and snell would be on our roster with melo's bird rights. about 22 million to spend (given a 60 million payroll) and then having melo's bird rights. this team could be VERY different come next year and might not be heavily reliant on Rose like how people think. especially considering that our owner has said multiple times he would pay the tax happily for a contender.

bholly
01-26-2014, 06:13 PM
I don't think you are right at all about the salary. Four years have already passed since he was drafted. He can demand anything up to the full mid-level that the Bulls will have. His club in Europe is looking to sign him to a multimillion extension, and you factor in guys like Marc Gasol who took the same route and started off making $3M when he did come over... and I expect Mirotic to get a nice chunk of the MLE, probably $3M-$3.5M.

Edit: My fault, this summer he would be drafted 3 years ago.

Actually you're right, I made the opposite mistake - I thought the rule was for 4 years but it's actually for 3. So they can either sign him for his scale amount, or sign him as an FA. If he doesn't agree to the scale amount then they'll have to have cap room or use an exception (because, as before, they don't have his Bird rights).

SINCESTARBURY25
01-26-2014, 11:32 PM
I respect everything Melo has done here and if he stays he stays but I want the whole team gutted and restarted to be honest.

HeatBeat
01-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Stay with Da Knicks my man

JOSKOMANG4
01-27-2014, 01:06 AM
I do not see Melo leaving the NYK. There have been rumors as of late, especially after the unsuccessful negotiations between the Celtics regarding resigning Rondo.

- Rondo & Wallace for Shump, Beno, & Amare.

Knicks Lineup:

C- Chandler
PF- Bargs
SF- Melo
SG- Hardaway JR
PG- Rondo

Key Bench: Smith, Wallace, Felton, Tyler, Prigs, Aldrich, K-Mart, Metta

I could see the Celtics being hesistant about trading rondo to a squad without acquiring neither a 1st rd pick or expiring contracts. The Celtics might move Rondo to the Knicks if Rondo is willing to accept a deal to NY and the Knicks willingness to take Wallace's contract

todu82
01-27-2014, 01:10 AM
A Chicago team with a healthy Rose and Melo would be all kinds of good. I think if Rose is healthy for next year Melo's going to be a Bull when he hits free agency.

xxplayerxx23
01-27-2014, 01:22 AM
I do not see Melo leaving the NYK. There have been rumors as of late, especially after the unsuccessful negotiations between the Celtics regarding resigning Rondo.

- Rondo & Wallace for Shump, Beno, & Amare.

Knicks Lineup:

C- Chandler
PF- Bargs
SF- Melo
SG- Hardaway JR
PG- Rondo

Key Bench: Smith, Wallace, Felton, Tyler, Prigs, Aldrich, K-Mart, Metta

I could see the Celtics being hesistant about trading rondo to a squad without acquiring neither a 1st rd pick or expiring contracts. The Celtics might move Rondo to the Knicks if Rondo is willing to accept a deal to NY and the Knicks willingness to take Wallace's contract

Boston would ask for picks and a lot more

xxplayerxx23
01-27-2014, 01:22 AM
A Chicago team with a healthy Rose and Melo would be all kinds of good. I think if Rose is healthy for next year Melo's going to be a Bull when he hits free agency.

Bunch of ifs. A lot of things need to happen. I see melo staying

Pierre The Poet
01-27-2014, 01:23 AM
I think he'll stay in NY...just stay and try...he was crippled by Amare's contract, once that's gone, they'll bring someone in and will give it another shot...

Kashmir13579
01-27-2014, 01:45 AM
I think he'll stay in NY...just stay and try...he was crippled by Amare's contract, once that's gone, they'll bring someone in and will give it another shot...

This is probably the reality. 'Melo needs to be paired with an elite playmaker to even think about contending, though. I'm not sure who they can get that fits the mold.

shep33
01-27-2014, 02:38 AM
I think it's definitely between Chicago and New York, but ultimately I think he stays. He'll take the max money and wait to see if another star will join him. The dilemma is that say he waits till 2015, he'll likely be out of his prime by then, especially considering the wear and tear on his body from the minutes he plays and his responsibility on offense.

I dunno, it's a really interesting decision. Chicago can pair him with Rose, but we have no clue how good he'll be ever again. Despite that, Thibs has his club without Rose and Deng one game back of 3rd place in the east.

Rose, Butler, Melo, and Noah is a scary combo, but I just wonder if he'd want to take the back lash from the NY media. The Knicks basically traded all their assets for him, and if he leaves them high and dry, I could see the media's backlash. Whether its deserved or not is another question.

Rndy
01-27-2014, 02:48 AM
If they can free up the Cash Melo would definitely have to think about it a nice core in Chicago along with good role players, 2 extra draft picks for the future, and the Euro MVP not many teams are set up better for the future. Rose looked like the same guy before getting hurt again was coming off a huge performance vs Indy this injury isn't close to as serious and he'd be back pretty soon had he not taken the long term approach getting it reattached instead of removed.

I'm still more on the get Hayward, Mirotic, back up Center, and hope for one of the CHA or Sac picks this year over Melo. Not that I don't think he's a great player I just think they could have a better all around team going the other route.

Rose-DJ-Hinrich
Hayward-Lavine/Smart/Harris
Butler-MDJ-Snell
Mirotic-Rookie/FA
Noah-Rookie/FA-Nazr

This team gives you a young core to compete for a long time based on defense, shooting, and playmakers. Hayward,MDJ, and Snell give the floor space for Rose, Rookie, DJ, and Butler to have room to attack the paint. That team gives you 9 players who can hit a 3 and do it at a decent enough clip.

shep33
01-27-2014, 02:55 AM
If they can free up the Cash Melo would definitely have to think about it a nice core in Chicago along with good role players, 2 extra draft picks for the future, and the Euro MVP not many teams are set up better for the future. Rose looked like the same guy before getting hurt again was coming off a huge performance vs Indy this injury isn't close to as serious and he'd be back pretty soon had he not taken the long term approach getting it reattached instead of removed.

I'm still more on the get Hayward, Mirotic, back up Center, and hope for one of the CHA or Sac picks this year over Melo. Not that I don't think he's a great player I just think they could have a better all around team going the other route.

Rose-DJ-Hinrich
Hayward-Lavine/Smart/Harris
Butler-MDJ-Snell
Mirotic-Rookie/FA
Noah-Rookie/FA-Nazr

Meh, I think Hayward is going to get overpaid this summer. But yeah, adding Melo to Rose, Butler, Noah and Mirotic + the incoming rooks is hard to turn down.

More than anything though is the chance to play for Thibs. Dude is arguably the best coach in the NBA along with Pop. That alone is a huge upgrade from Woody

mdm692
01-27-2014, 02:55 AM
The best team he can sign with w/o taking a major pay cut is PHX so if he were to go anywhere PHX is the place. I think he stays a Knick and gets that fat extension.

Rndy
01-27-2014, 02:58 AM
Meh, I think Hayward is going to get overpaid this summer. But yeah, adding Melo to Rose, Butler, Noah and Mirotic + the incoming rooks is hard to turn down.

More than anything though is the chance to play for Thibs. Dude is arguably the best coach in the NBA along with Pop. That alone is a huge upgrade from Woody

I love Hayward with his talent and age I'd give him a good amount of money. Him or Stevenson would be nice additions to the future assets coming to Chicago. If Sac can continue to get better I see us getting that first round pick before it turns into a 2nd rounder so that is just another asset to add.

5ass
01-27-2014, 03:06 AM

One of those picks can land them afflalo. Imagine
Rose
Afflalo
Butler
Melo
Noah

You couldnt ask for a better starting lineup. With some clever moves they can put together a decent bench. Snell, butler, and afflalo can all play sg/sf so they'll get most of those minutes. Draft a bigman with the other pick. For back up pg they have hinrich. They just need to sign a few back up bigmen. Probably vets.

shep33
01-27-2014, 03:12 AM
One of those picks can land them afflalo. Imagine
Rose
Afflalo
Butler
Melo
Noah

You couldnt ask for a better starting lineup. With some clever moves they can put together a decent bench. Snell, butler, and afflalo can all play sg/sf so they'll get most of those minutes. Draft a bigman with the other pick. For back up pg they have hinrich. They just need to sign a few back up bigmen. Probably vets.

Yeah, if he's interested in winning a championship, it's by far his best option to go to Chicago. Like not even close.

I kind of think he'll stay in New York just because of the money and to resist the media backlash, but I mean, by winning a title he can erase all of that, and there is nowhere better to do that than Chicago

Interesting situation Melo is in. I couldn't really fault him for either decision. But if its about winning, and winning now, the Bulls are the easy choice. Even if they trade Gibson they have some nice assets in Mirotic, and the picks they own.

sunsfan88
01-27-2014, 03:12 AM
I'm predicting that Melo stays in NY, LeBron stays in Miami and a bunch of teams like Chicago that are hoping for one or both of them to sign with them will end up feeling like s**t.

5ass
01-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Yeah, if he's interested in winning a championship, it's by far his best option to go to Chicago. Like not even close.

I kind of think he'll stay in New York just because of the money and to resist the media backlash, but I mean, by winning a title he can erase all of that, and there is nowhere better to do that than Chicago

Interesting situation Melo is in. I couldn't really fault him for either decision. But if its about winning, and winning now, the Bulls are the easy choice. Even if they trade Gibson they have some nice assets in Mirotic, and the picks they own.

Agree 100%, i dont see him leaving either.

jerellh528
01-27-2014, 03:28 AM
Anywhere but the lakers please. We don't need any more aging stars, we need upcoming superstars. Love, durant, etc.

bholly
01-27-2014, 10:37 AM
The best team he can sign with w/o taking a major pay cut is PHX so if he were to go anywhere PHX is the place.
Don't see how you get from that premise to that conclusion. There's a lot more to take into account than how good they are without you and money - fit, location (including you family's preferences), market size, how much they can improve, how likely you think you are to win with them, history, etc. Phoenix could be a contender for him, but it would be a pretty big about-face I'm terms of a lot of things we know (or think we know) about Melo and his preferences.

FlashBolt
01-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Anywhere but the lakers please. We don't need any more aging stars, we need upcoming superstars. Love, durant, etc.

Don't we all need that? Hah. Lakers would be lucky to get either of them. I see Kevin Love wanting to go there, though.

Ill21
01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
If I'm Chicago I stay away from Melo.

and why is that Mr. Jeffrey?

mdm692
01-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Don't see how you get from that premise to that conclusion. There's a lot more to take into account than how good they are without you and money - fit, location (including you family's preferences), market size, how much they can improve, how likely you think you are to win with them, history, etc. Phoenix could be a contender for him, but it would be a pretty big about-face I'm terms of a lot of things we know (or think we know) about Melo and his preferences.
Because his #1 goal should be to win a championship. Phx can provide that opportunity even in the loaded west. Now if he's just wanting to get paid then obviously NY is where he should stay. Not only will he get a bigger extension from the Knicks but he his endorsements will be at their highest if he stays in NY. Everybody talks about LA but seriously that team even with Kobe is no better than his Nuggets with AI. Now personally I think Chicago is the perfect fit for him but do you think they can pull it off? Remember even if they get enough cap space this off-season there's no guarantee that Melo will sign and Rose already said multiple times he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding team so what do you do?

72 Wins
01-27-2014, 12:27 PM
I think if it was a realistic possibility of Melo wanting to be a Bull, we could make it happen. But this is a pipe dream as far as I'm concerned. Nobody wants to come to Chicago.

mdm692
01-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I think if it was a realistic possibility of Melo wanting to be a Bull, we could make it happen. But this is a pipe dream as far as I'm concerned. Nobody wants to come to Chicago.

Exactly my point. Could it happen? definitely. WILL it happen? unlikely but stranger things have happened. Now that last sentence I don't think that's the case. I think stars are just afraid to live in the shadow of MJ instead of trying to out do what he did, which is far from easy.

D-Leethal
01-27-2014, 01:04 PM
If there is one star who isn't 'scared' of the spotlight or 'scared' of someone elses legacy its Melo. He wouldn't have forced his way to NY if he was "scared" of that ****.

I can see him being weary of playing in Rose's shadow though, since Rose is the beloved hometown kid. Melo is very prideful and I do think he believes that unless he's playing with LeBron, the line starts behind him. Thats not so much being "scared" as it is wanting to be the man though.

colinskik
01-27-2014, 01:06 PM
This is probably the reality. 'Melo needs to be paired with an elite playmaker to even think about contending, though. I'm not sure who they can get that fits the mold.

I was watching the BOS - BK game last night and realized that if the Knicks want to contend they really need to do whatever it takes to get Rondo. This dude makes people like Chris Johnson seem like a good player. You throw anyone in at the 4 and Rondo will work the PnR beautifully with him.

Do what it takes, Knicks. Shumpert, Hardaway Jr, Amare, 2018 pick (I think that's the one the can deal, apologies if I'm wrong). It's clearly a case of hopeful optimism, but the fact that the Knicks haven't made a move yet and Rondo isn't willing to stay on with the Celtics leads me to believe there is a chance this happens.

IBleedPurple
01-27-2014, 01:09 PM

This. Melo wants his money, and seems to be a fairly selfish guy. Same as in Denver, he would force the hand of the team that wanted him to do a S&T. Better for him and the team he is leaving, not so much for the team he is going to. For instance, if the Knicks had kept (most of) the players they sent to Denver, they would have had a much better jump on building a better team.

colinskik
01-27-2014, 01:19 PM
This. Melo wants his money, and seems to be a fairly selfish guy. Same as in Denver, he would force the hand of the team that wanted him to do a S&T. Better for him and the team he is leaving, not so much for the team he is going to. For instance, if the Knicks had kept (most of) the players they sent to Denver, they would have had a much better jump on building a better team.

I think Melo is a bit misconstrued when it comes to this point. Yes, he was completely selfish during the Den to NY trade, but it was a unique situation with the pending lockout. Plus, Melo didn't want to be in Den, and from what I've heard he wasn't the only one with that sentiment.

Melo wants to be in NY. Even during this awful season his 62 point performance is the talk of the league. That's not necessarily the case if he's in a different city. I didn't hear squat about Terrance Ross' 51 point game until they started talking about Melo... He knows his star shines brighter in NYC than anywhere else.

GIANTKNICK
01-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Melo is aready a winner!!!!! He has never had a losing season in the NBA never! Never missed the playoffs. NO one in his daft class can say that including Bron and Wade. He may have never won the chip but he is far from a loser.
What has THibs won? HE never won a chip either.

Chi~TwnHawksFan
01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Melo is aready a winner!!!!! He has never had a losing season in the NBA never! Never missed the playoffs. NO one in his daft class can say that including Bron and Wade. He may have never won the chip but he is far from a loser.

He won it with boston as an ASST coach.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-27-2014, 02:27 PM

He's coached 3 full seasons. 2 of which his team had the top record in the league heading into the playoffs, and the 3rd season he led a team to the 2nd round without its 2 best players. I'd say he's a pretty good coach and very much a winner.

Shammyguy3
01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
That Thibs comment :laugh:

KnickaBocka.44
01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
:laugh2:

Yeah, Melo is going to leave NY when Amare's albatross of a contract is almost up to go to a team that has $20 million/year over the next 3 years to another injury prone star.

Sorry guys, but I don't think a anyone thinks D-Rose is the next best option to go play with anymore after these injuries, at least it can't be expected.

bholly
01-27-2014, 03:21 PM

2013-14 says hi.

effen5
01-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah except he has a ring you dumbass

NYKnickFanatic
01-27-2014, 03:54 PM
2013-14 says hi.

Hey, season isn't over. :p

NYKnickFanatic
01-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Why do you say that?

Badluck33
01-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Melo doesnt wanna come to Chicago because he doesn't wanna play under MJs shadow.

Or He doesn't wannat come to Chicago because of the cold.

Or he doesn't wanna come to Chicago because Lala says so.

Or he doesn't wanna come to Chicago because of Adidas or Nike or whatever..

If a player wants to win then he goes where he can win.

Melo can take more money going to LA but they will only have Kobe and the idea on getting K-Love.

With Chicago, he can take less but be more competitive in a Eastern Conference that isn't as competitive as the West. He would have better talent and a better coach to play under.

Every one on PSD pretty much thinks Thibs is a top 3 coach in the league so since NBA players > psd posters, I think its safe to say that Melo knows he would be playing under a better coach than whoever is going to be in LA.

Goose17
01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Melo wouldn't want to play second fiddle to Rose?

Rndy
01-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Melo wouldn't want to play second fiddle to Rose?

Good player to play second fiddle to though Rose is fine with passing all game if he has to.

NBA_Starter
01-27-2014, 08:48 PM
He would have to take so much less money, I think it is a long shot!

GoBullsGo
01-27-2014, 08:52 PM
He'll be staying in NYC. Chicago would have to amnesty Boozer and clear cap room by trading Gibson away.

IversonIsKrazy
01-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Chicago is his best destination.

northsider
01-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Not a huge Melo fan but, I'd be damned if Thibs can't find a way to improve any player no matter how far along in their career including maximizing and squeezing every bit of untapped talent out of them.

I think to put him in a situation where he would have another good scorer in Rose next to him who also doesn't hinder his position but, could work well off each other would be a great situation.

With that said I just see zero way this happens TBH.