PDA

View Full Version : should Westbrook come off the bench for OKC?

Chill_Will_24
01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
That would give them quite an explosive bench, no?

When he comes back I mean

waveycrockett
01-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Similar to what Deron Williams is doing for the Nets I think he should. Guys like Manu and James Harden have proven you can be a top-10 NBA player and come off the bench as long as your finishing games and playing 30+ mins. It gives your team way more balance but I'm not sure if WB is mature enough to accept that.

ghettosean
01-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes...

Westbrook like D-Rose have one gear when on the court and thats top speed and top gear which is why i think they both got reinjured because they just came back on the court as if nothing ever happened. Taking limited minutes and slowing down a bit in his return would be in his best interest

xxplayerxx23
01-25-2014, 03:00 PM
No. He should start. Jackson and lamb is an explosive enough offense off the bench IMO

bholly
01-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Yeah, they should have KD come off the bench too, and then their second unit would just blow other teams out of the water. Great idea!

KnicksorBust
No he should be starting ... just for another team.

waveycrockett
No. He should start. Jackson and lamb is an explosive enough offense off the bench IMO

WB and KD get in each others way too much. It gives that team a much better balance that they haven't had since Harden was traded.

shep33
I gotta disagree with this. With Westbrook they're 21-4 I think.

waveycrockett
01-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I gotta disagree with this. With Westbrook they're 21-4 I think.

I think in the playoffs especially if the eventually matchup with Miami it will help if they have WB off the bench.

waveycrockett
01-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Yeah, they should have KD come off the bench too, and then their second unit would just blow other teams out of the water. Great idea!

They had Harden who is arguably a better player than WB coming off the bench in their best season so your logic if flawed here.

xxplayerxx23
01-25-2014, 03:11 PM
No it wouldn't. Westy and durant are fine together

poleandreel
01-25-2014, 03:31 PM
What a ****ing stupid thread. Sometimes I think the people on this site are either mentally handicapped or have never watched a basketball in their life. Is your IQ less than 20?

Like seriously. What the actual ****.

How many straight 50 win seasons is this? Um 5?
Went to the finals 2 years ago and lost 3 games by a combined 12 points.
#1 seed in the west last year and favorite to go to the finals until Westbrooks injury...
.840 winning % with westbrook, less than .700 without him

Lets fail to realize that Durant has been a top 2 MVP candidate with Russell for the past 3 years.

Lets fail to realize that Ibaka gets most of his points off assists from Russell and plays like **** on offense without him

Lets fail to realize that once KD gets double teamed he struggles to score at better than a 40% clip. He has gotten doubled on less than 5% of his touches since Russ went out. In the playoffs that % would rise.

Lets fail to realize that Reggie Jackson is shooting 40% as a starter and 50% off the bench. Way better against a teams second unit.

Lets fail to realize that the OKC bench was already a top 3 bench this season in both points scored and points allowed.

go **** yourself. dumb thread. LETS PUT LEBRON ON THE BENCHHH HURRR ****ING DURRR

*Superman*
01-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Then Miami will just put LeBron, Wade and Bosh on the bench, ha! Beat that!

5ass
01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Dont people realize that whether Westbrook is starting or not is basically the same thing? The key is having one of Durant and Westbrook on the floor at all times not who starts.

True Sports Fan
01-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah, good luck getting Westbrook to accept that role.

Chill_Will_24
01-25-2014, 03:53 PM
What a ****ing stupid thread. Sometimes I think the people on this site are either mentally handicapped or have never watched a basketball in their life. Is your IQ less than 20?

Like seriously. What the actual ****.

How many straight 50 win seasons is this? Um 5?
Went to the finals 2 years ago and lost 3 games by a combined 12 points.
#1 seed in the west last year and favorite to go to the finals until Westbrooks injury...
.840 winning % with westbrook, less than .700 without him

Lets fail to realize that Durant has been a top 2 MVP candidate with Russell for the past 3 years.

Lets fail to realize that Ibaka gets most of his points off assists from Russell and plays like **** on offense without him

Lets fail to realize that once KD gets double teamed he struggles to score at better than a 40% clip. He has gotten doubled on less than 5% of his touches since Russ went out. In the playoffs that % would rise.

Lets fail to realize that Reggie Jackson is shooting 40% as a starter and 50% off the bench. Way better against a teams second unit.

Lets fail to realize that the OKC bench was already a top 3 bench this season in both points scored and points allowed.

go **** yourself. dumb thread. LETS PUT LEBRON ON THE BENCHHH HURRR ****ING DURRR

Damn you mad?

Idk anything about the Thunder. I have no clue as to the numbers nor am I suggesting Westbrook is a bad player or cannot play with Durant.

Frankly I thought of Deron Williams coming off the bench and how well It's working and Paul Pierce earlier in the season and wondered what people thought of Westbrook doing something similar and whether it would help or hurt the team with Durant on such a tear.

Your reaction was so over the top that I find it quite funny actually. Like I legit chuckled.

Tourette's syndrome must be tough to live with

waveycrockett
01-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Dont people realize that whether Westbrook is starting or not is basically the same thing? The key is having one of Durant and Westbrook on the floor at all times not who starts.

Exactly. And as long as they finish games it's all that matters. Having Manu Ginobili off the bench is what put the Spurs over the top for so many years.

bholly
01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
They had Harden who is arguably a better player than WB coming off the bench in their best season so your logic if flawed here.

Because Thabo's D fit better with the first unit and Harden's greatness with the ball in hands didn't make sense next to Westbrook all the time, especially with a second unit otherwise devoid of scoring. It actually fit. But just because it made sense for one good player to come off the bench doesn't mean it always makes sense. There aren't quite the same benefits when there's one less superstar, and Reggie Jackson doesn't quite fill in gaps in Westbrook's game like Thabo did with Harden's D.

My logic is just fine - the point of my post wasn't that it never makes sense for a good player to come off the bench, it was that giving a team a more explosive bench (which was the OP's entire argument) isn't necessarily a reason to bench a good player.

Chill_Will_24
01-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Because Thabo's D fit better with the first unit and Harden's greatness with the ball in hands didn't make sense next to Westbrook all the time, especially with a second unit otherwise devoid of scoring. It actually fit. But just because it made sense for one good player to come off the bench doesn't mean it always makes sense. There aren't quite the same benefits when there's one less superstar, and Reggie Jackson doesn't quite fill in gaps in Westbrook's game like Thabo did with Harden's D.

My logic is just fine - the point of my post wasn't that it never makes sense for a good player to come off the bench, it was that giving a team a more explosive bench (which was the OP's entire argument) isn't necessarily a reason to bench a good player.

I have no argument. I don't know much about OKC and their efficiency numbers with him vs without.

Deron Williams is doing it and I wondered whether it was something Westbrook could do as well and whether it makes any sense for OKC. Idk that it does or doesn't and I'm no trying to make an argument either way

Just looking for people's thoughts on it.

Jarvo
01-25-2014, 08:05 PM
He would want out of OKC faster then a fat ***** reaching for the last wing and if Westbrook was ever ask to come off the bench this is what he'll say https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NApJ6JOWTx4

PurpleLynch
01-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Don't understand the rage generated by this thread:the OP asked just if we think that Westbrook could play a limited role just to remain healthy and gain rythm consinstently game by game. And I think this is a good solution to preserve Westbrook.

KingPosey
01-25-2014, 10:02 PM
I think in the playoffs especially if the eventually matchup with Miami it will help if they have WB off the bench.

See I don't agree with that. I already think they're short a scorer as is, but now you're asking KD to go one on three and keep up the scoring for long stretches before the fourth.

Swashcuff
01-25-2014, 10:29 PM
If Durant ever falls back down to earth all these such threads would be a thing of the past. Classic sport fans just living in the moment.

holditdown
01-25-2014, 10:56 PM
If Durant ever falls back down to earth all these such threads would be a thing of the past. Classic sport fans just living in the moment.

Some guys just play efficient, winning team basketball. Therefore I highly doubt it. He's a boss.

Swashcuff
01-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Some guys just play efficient, winning team basketball. Therefore I highly doubt it. He's a boss.

You think KD is going to play like this for the remainder of his career

holditdown
01-25-2014, 11:08 PM
You think KD is going to play like this for the remainder of his career

He's never going to play selfish basketball and whatever team he's on will always win a ton of games as long as his prime lasts.

LAKobeBryant
01-25-2014, 11:13 PM
No, the only reason why is it will ruin team chemistry. I don't think Westbrook can handle that role mentally because he has a big ego.

Chill_Will_24
01-26-2014, 12:32 AM

And some people can't read apparently. I never said he SHOULD. Frankly I don't know much about OKC and how they run their team.

I just saw Deron doing well off the bench and wondered whether ppl thought a role off the bench playing starter minutes would suit Westbrook

I swear sometimes this site is just one big circle jerk of condecending idiots who flame first and read later.

I simply wanted a thoughtful discussion. Never stated my opinion as fact or even implied I had one on the matter. Just wanted to see what ppl thought

LJEATON26
01-26-2014, 01:13 AM
This thread is idiotic, jackson is a nice fill in piece but he isn't Westbrook. It's amazing how many people dislike Westbrook and all the dude does is win.

vegajf51
01-26-2014, 03:51 AM
We are a much better team with Westbrook starting. Reggie is good but Westbrook is on a different level. Also he and durant compliment each other perfectly.

Swashcuff
01-26-2014, 09:46 AM
And some people can't read apparently. I never said he SHOULD. Frankly I don't know much about OKC and how they run their team.

I just saw Deron doing well off the bench and wondered whether ppl thought a role off the bench playing starter minutes would suit Westbrook

I swear sometimes this site is just one big circle jerk of condecending idiots who flame first and read later.

I simply wanted a thoughtful discussion. Never stated my opinion as fact or even implied I had one on the matter. Just wanted to see what ppl thought

WTF

Did I even mention you? I'm speaking in general. I'm quite certain that you or anyone else would NEVER make such a thread during last year's playoffs after Westy went down.

I even said classic sports fans with an S.

Chill_Will_24
01-26-2014, 12:44 PM

WTF

Did I even mention you? I'm speaking in general. I'm quite certain that you or anyone else would NEVER make such a thread during last year's playoffs after Westy went down.

I even said classic sports fans with an S.

Well of course I wouldn't since the only thing that made me think of this is seeing Deron Williams doing it for the Nets. Played the most minutes of anyone on the team and off the bench

Wondered whether such an explosive player would be beneficial off the bench. Obviously I can tell from the responses here the situations are completely different and my question is apparently offensive smh

sunsfan88
01-26-2014, 10:08 PM
No he should not.

Pierre The Poet
01-27-2014, 12:15 AM
That would give them quite an explosive bench, no?

When he comes back I mean

Ohhh, and we thought that you meant he should come off the bench before he comes back.

Pierre The Poet
01-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Similar to what Deron Williams is doing for the Nets I think he should. Guys like Manu and James Harden have proven you can be a top-10 NBA player and come off the bench as long as your finishing games and playing 30+ mins. It gives your team way more balance but I'm not sure if WB is mature enough to accept that.

That's because the Spurs had two superstars already in the starting lineup, so you could let Ginobli balance it out...James Harden had two superstars in the lineup, so he could balance that out...you don't randomly put one superstar on the bench just because...