PDA

View Full Version : Your team's best steals and worst busts of the last 30 years

DreamShaker
01-25-2014, 05:32 AM
Spill it.

DreamShaker
01-25-2014, 05:40 AM
I'll start:

Steals:
Robert Horry
Sam Cassell
Carl Landry
Chandler Parsons
Terrance Jones
Cuttino Mobley

Busts:
Eddie Griffin
Royce White
Everyone we picked instead of Rashard Lewis (hometown kid who badly wanted to come here) in 98 (Dickerson, Bryce Drew, the immortal Mirsad Turkcan).

c.c.
01-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Most recent gotta be Royce White. Waste of an asset!

c.c.
01-25-2014, 05:44 AM
I'll start:

Steals:
Robert Horry
Sam Cassell
Carl Landry
Chandler Parsons
Terrance Jones
Cuttino Mobley

Busts:
Eddie Griffin
Royce White
Everyone we picked instead of Rashard Lewis (hometown kid who badly wanted to come here) that one year

I liked Eddie Griffin but he should of been taken in the 2nd round instead of 7th overall. RIP to him though

DreamShaker
01-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Most recent gotta be Royce White. Waste of an asset!

For real. So talented. Just a pure head case. I have pretty serious anxiety and I have never been that difficult.

DreamShaker
01-25-2014, 05:51 AM
I liked Eddie Griffin but he should of been taken in the 2nd round instead of 7th overall. RIP to him though

We traded Richard Jefferson for him as well. Carol Dawson made some truly iffy moves. His personal life is tragic. Very sad to think he's gone to this day.

Asik's better
01-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Hate to continue the trend of pointing out bad draft selections by the rockets but I'm sure it still haunts Morey knowing he picked Patrick Patterson over Larry sanders then followed it up next year picking marcus Morris over Kwai Leonard in the following years draft.

c.c.
01-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Hate to continue the trend of pointing out bad draft selections by the rockets but I'm sure it still haunts Morey knowing he picked Patrick Patterson over Larry sanders then followed it up next year picking marcus Morris over Kwai Leonard in the following years draft.

We can actually use him right now, don't you agree. Stretching out the floor

Asik's better
01-25-2014, 06:17 AM
We can actually use him right now, don't you agree. Stretching out the floor

No not really, Terrance jones is a far better player than Patrick.

Drummond#1
01-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Steals: The Mark Aguirre, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace trades.
Draft picks: Dennis Rodman, Dre Drummond, Moose Monroe, Mehmet Okur and Tayshaun Prince.

Busts: Every other draft pick not named Isiah, Laimbeer, or Dumars and every single free agent signing in Pistons history besides Chauncey.

ghettosean
01-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Steal: Getting Vince Carter and cash while trading away Antwan Jamison on draft day

Bust: Rafael Araujo over Andre Iguidola on draft day

lvlheaded
01-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Knicks busts: pretty much 83% of their first rounders in the last two decades. You know, the ones we kept haha

dwoyo
01-25-2014, 01:27 PM
It's funny how the Miami Heat had a bust and a steal in the same draft back in 2008...

1st Round, Pick #2: Michael Beasley
2nd Round, Pick #4 (34th overall): Mario Chalmers

True Sports Fan
01-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Steal: Isaiah Thomas, Webber

Busts: Robinson, Jimmer, Hawes, I can go on and on lol.

IndyRealist
01-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Steals: Paul George at #10, Roy Hibbert at #17, Danny Granger at #17, Lance Stephenson at #40, Orlando Johnson at #36 (still holding out hope). Miles Plumlee at #26 if we didn't trade him.

Busts: Shawne Williams at #17 (Rondo was still on the board), Alexander Johnson at #45 (we bought that pick, fully guaranteed his deal, and then cut him in training camp), David Harrison at #29.

abe_froman
01-25-2014, 03:29 PM
steals(non lotto picks)-toni kukoc,bj armstrong,ron artest,omer asik,taj gibson,jimmy butler

busts-sidney green,brad sellers,eddy curry,tyrus thomas,jay williams,marcuz fizer

Matter.
01-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Steal: Getting Vince Carter and cash while trading away Antwan Jamison on draft day

Bargs over lma kinda

ink
01-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Steal: Totally agree about VC, that was an amazing swindle. Not nearly the same stature but I'd say Babcock's signing of an undrafted Jose Calderon from the Spanish League was pretty slick.

Bust: We have to add Bargnani. Not a complete bust but for a #1 pick he was pretty awful.

bucketss
01-25-2014, 03:38 PM
steals: vince, trading roko ukic and delfino for amir and sonny weems,

bust: bargnani :facepalm:

Shlumpledink
01-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Andray Blatche, 49th pick. Manute Bol in the 2nd round. Steve Blake in the 2nd round.

Busts : Kwame Brown, Jan Vesely 6th overall.

DreamShaker
01-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Steals: The Mark Aguirre, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace trades.
Draft picks: Dennis Rodman, Dre Drummond, Moose Monroe, Mehmet Okur and Tayshaun Prince.

Busts: Every other draft pick not named Isiah, Laimbeer, or Dumars and every single free agent signing in Pistons history besides Chauncey.

Lol. But you forgot Grant Hill! And Laimbeer wasn't drafted by the Pistons, was he?

Andray Blatche, 49th pick. Manute Bol in the 2nd round. Steve Blake in the 2nd round.

Busts : Kwame Brown, Jan Vesely 6th overall.

Any time Manute Bol is involved, I'm on board. Loved thar guy. I got a youtube NBA playlist that includes some sweet Bol highlights I found. Including the game he hit 6 3's in the 2nd half. You think Otto Porter might be a bust? I keep hearing that, but I think it's too early, but I haven't really seen him.

Hawkeye15
01-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Steals: KG at #5, trading #3 OJ Mayo and garbage for #5 Kevin Love and garbage. Doug West at #38. Pekovic at #31.

Busts: All but Wally, Rubio, and Laettner, who are/were acceptable NBA players. Literally the remaining picks were worthless basically.

Goose17
01-25-2014, 04:45 PM
In the future, I think Draymond Green will be viewed as a steal.

Right now;

Biggest busts; Take your pick. Ekpe Udoh? Patrick O'Bryant? Ike Diogu? Andris Biedrins? Just the most recent ones that come to mind.

Biggest steals; Monta Ellis, 2nd round, 40th overall and Sarunas Marciulionis, sixth round.

ghettosean
01-25-2014, 04:48 PM

Bargs over lma kinda

I can't have a serious conversation with while you have that sig... Too distracting!!!

But yeah Bargs was definitely a bust when comparing to Aldridge!

Goose17
01-25-2014, 04:52 PM

Warriors picked Patrick O'Bryant over Rajon Rondo, J.J Redick, Kyle Lowry, and imo one of the biggest steals of the last decade, Paul Millsap.

We also picked Adonal Foyle over Tracy McGrady.

Hindsight is great.

Colts_4_life
01-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Steals: Trading for Caron Butler and Jamison.

Bust: Nick Young(ehhh), Jan Vesley, Chris Singleton, Trevor Booker, OLEKSIY PECHEROV, PETER JOHN RAMOS and the list goes on.

Tough being a wizards fan :(

THE MTL
01-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Knicks.

Steals: any first round pick in the 20s. Most notsble David Lee at #30.

Busts: any first round pick in the top 10

Raps18-19 Champ
01-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Most recent

Bust: Araujo
Steal: Derozan

PacersForLife
01-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Steals: Paul George at #10, Roy Hibbert at #17, Danny Granger at #17, Lance Stephenson at #40, Orlando Johnson at #36 (still holding out hope). Miles Plumlee at #26 if we didn't trade him.

Busts: Shawne Williams at #17 (Rondo was still on the board), Alexander Johnson at #45 (we bought that pick, fully guaranteed his deal, and then cut him in training camp), David Harrison at #29.

I think Orlando will fill in nicely if we end up losing Granger. I might add Tyler Hansbrough to the busts, he had his moments, but guys like Ty Lawson were still on the board.

Lakers + Giants
01-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Steal: Vlade for Kobe

Bust: Nash (so many draft picks for nothing!)

TheMightyHumph
01-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Nets.

Steals.....Kidd, Micheal Ray

Bust.....Pearl Washington

PurpleLynch
01-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Lakers.

Worst:Hightower,Vujacic(but I love him anyway),Cook,Crittenton,Yue,Penbherty,Madsen(love him for the dancing moves),Carr('80 player that I remember was a bust),Barlow.
Best:Magic(no explanation needed),Cooper(third round!),Exel(37th overall).

I didn't put Kobe,because he was picked by the Charlotte Hornets(13th overall),but it was the best steal the Lakers did in their entire history,giving away Divac(who I liked) for Kobe.

Cal827
01-25-2014, 10:14 PM
I can't have a serious conversation with while you have that sig... Too distracting!!!

But yeah Bargs was definitely a bust when comparing to Aldridge!

Dat Dere Danielle Ro :drool:

Raptors

VC, T-Mac, Valanciunas Are good

Minor Bust: Bosh over D-Wade, but this wasn't too bad of one, as Bosh was an All-Star
Davis over Bledsoe (we had no idea what was happening at what we were going to do as it was the 2010 Free Agency upcoming)

Big ones:

Arajao over Iggy
Villaneuva over Bynum (We had a PF already, and a C next to Bosh would be nice, although I admit that his injury issues could have had impacted)
Graham over Granger
Bargs over LMA (Again, we had a PF, but LMA/Bosh on the inside couldn't have been as bad as Barg/Bosh was defensively lol)

Trading Hibbert for O'neal :cry:

Maybe Ross over Drummond (Not Tonight though lol :D)

blastmasta26
01-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Knicks.

Steals: any first round pick in the 20s. Most notsble David Lee at #30.

Busts: any first round pick in the top 10

True except for Gallinari, he was picked 6th I believe.

SPURSFAN1
01-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Richard Jefferson. Dude was a total scrub. Couldn't play defense, couldn't hit an open 3, no athleticism, undersized for a small forward. Guy was a starter for the spurs and never did *** in the playoffs. And he got paid like 10+ mil to do jack. Tony makes 12 mil to put that in perspective.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Why are people using the bust as "blah blah was left on the board" who the hell cares. That's not a bust. A bust is someone your team chooses as a high pick and doesn't pan out.

For my team- Beasley, dorell Wright, Kurt Thomas

Steals- Eddie house, Chalmers, Cole

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Richard Jefferson. Dude was a total scrub. Couldn't play defense, couldn't hit an open 3, no athleticism, undersized for a small forward. Guy was a starter for the spurs and never did *** in the playoffs. And he got paid like 10+ mil to do jack. Tony makes 12 mil to put that in perspective.

Umm.. The spurs didnt draft Richard Jefferson dude..

SPURSFAN1
01-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Umm.. The spurs didnt draft Richard Jefferson dude..

He didn't say draft though.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2014, 01:46 AM
Minor Bust: Bosh over D-Wade, but this wasn't too bad of one, as Bosh was an All-Star

Trading Hibbert for O'neal :cry:

Maybe Ross over Drummond (Not Tonight though lol :D)

Again.. Choosing player A because player B was on the board isn't what dictates a bust.

A bust is someone who was expected to contribute heavily (top 10 pick) and turns out to actually play like ****.

Someone else's draft steal has nothing to do with your teams pick.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2014, 01:48 AM
He didn't say draft though.

Oh I see.

Well spurs traded an old Bowen, and scrubs for Jefferson. I wouldn't call that a complete bust.

But he sure wasnt a steal lol

TheMightyHumph
01-26-2014, 01:58 AM
Oh I see.

Well spurs traded an old Bowen, and scrubs for Jefferson. I wouldn't call that a complete bust.

But he sure wasnt a steal lol

The bust was RJ opted out of the last year of his contract, somewhere in the $16 mil area, and although given the gift of that, Spurs resigned him for 4 years at $40 mil.

DAMN, it was quite evident that RJ just didn't have it anymore in his 1st season with Spurs.

Also, Jackie Butler

SPURSFAN1
01-26-2014, 02:16 AM
The bust was RJ opted out of the last year of his contract, somewhere in the $16 mil area, and although given the gift of that, Spurs resigned him for 4 years at $40 mil.

DAMN, it was quite evident that RJ just didn't have it anymore in his 1st season with Spurs.

Also, Jackie Butler

We gave him that deal so we wouldn't go into the tax and we could trade him. We have little bit of money already. We then traded for an expiring contract in Jackson.

Cal827
01-26-2014, 02:29 AM
Again.. Choosing player A because player B was on the board isn't what dictates a bust.

A bust is someone who was expected to contribute heavily (top 10 pick) and turns out to actually play like ****.

Someone else's draft steal has nothing to do with your teams pick.

Well Bosh did pretty much crap in Toronto. What did he do here? A Division title? Looking at the Atlantic Division right now shows that that's not an accomplishment whatsoever :D

In all seriousness, Ross is still up in the Air. I know he went off tonight, but he's been on and off. Some Days, he looks like an All-Star, other days he looks like he got served by Mark Madsen.

Hoping this is the beginning of a consistent all-range threat

Avenged
01-26-2014, 02:33 AM
Steal - Kobe, and Pau.

Busts - Nash. And somewhat Odom considering he didn't turn into the superstar the majority thought would.

sixer04fan
01-26-2014, 03:54 AM
Recent Sixers picks off the top of my head -

Steals: Lou Williams (15th pick in the 2nd round in 2005), Jrue Holiday (17th pick in 2009), Michael Carter-Williams (12th pick in 2013)

Busts/Regrets: Larry Hughes in '98 (The very two next picks were Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce. Ouch!), Mo Speights in '08 (Roy Hibbert, JaVale McGee, Serge Ibaka, Nic Batum, Nicola Pekovic, DeAndre Jordan, and Omer Asik were all drafted soon after him. ****!)